Venice High School Alumni Association
Centennial Celebration Committee Minutes
VHS Teacher Cafeteria
Rob Nelson, Carol Maher, Julia Trusty, Regina Barton, Emily Winters, Nancy Mills, Chuck
Garcia, Randy Bannon, Lydia Ponce’, Carolyn Chorpash, Nan Chorpash, Renee Chorpash,
Lorena Alvarado, Patrice Marquez, Stefanie Marquez, Wally Hall, Betsy Wheller
Kollgaard, Odalys Garcia, Lori Reyes, Monica Serratos, Mathie Meyer, Alyssa Gasca, Elda
Meeting called to order at 7: 06 p.m.
Sign‐in sheet and agenda passed around.
CHAIR REPORT – Renee
1. Smaller room. Please limit discussions to 5 minutes each.
2. First Restaurant Fund raiser at CPK raised $300.50. Next fundraiser: Islands on
Washington Blvd. Future possible locations: Souplantion (more details pending
Grant’s return), Marble Slab Ice Cream, Library Ale House as reported by Carol.
3. Frustration expressed over the lack of knowledge of the Centennial Celebration.
Desperately need more donations, sponsors, and volunteers to raise funds.
Everyone’s help is needed to approach people to invite them to get involved.
Renee requests that each Committee member send her the names and emails of
five contacts from friends, family, coworkers, business associates, community
and religious groups, etc. The Committee will do the work of contacting them.
4. Merchandise available tonight from Nan and Carolyn.
Minutes of the 7/21/10 meeting were accepted with following corrections.
1. Nancy Mills —3rd page clarification of schedule.
2. Lorena –Corrections of timeline on her press release:
a. Festival Opening 9 a.m.
b. Parade 10 a.m.
c. Ceremonies (Wall of Fame, Time Capsule Opening) 1 p.m.
a. Replace Closing Ceremonies w/ Car Show without time.
b. Remove Carnival from Sunday
The minutes of the meetings are posted on the website.
CALENDAR, PROJECT MANAGEMENT – Julia
1. Hasn’t received most timelines and needs them desperately. Please submit
timelines in written form (not as voice messages)
2. Sue will create timeline for the Festival for next month.
COMMEMORATIVE BOOK – Nan in Elayne’s absence
1. Company says they’re only requiring deposit of $200 to cover cost of
2. Carolyn counted 11 presale book orders through PayPal. This is not a true
reflection of actual orders as others were prepaid by check, etc.
3. Carol asked if deadline for ad submission is still Sept 1. That deadline is
flexible and the final deadline TBD.
PUBLICITY ‐‐ Lorena
1. Same as last month. Celebrities can’t be tied down as they have to book
around work and other events.
2. Waiting for response from Robert Hegyes (Juan Epstein from “Welcome Back
Kotter”). Dropped out of HS (unnamed on his bio, but believed to be VHS).
3. General Manager of Telemundo informed that Ron Myer, President of NBC
Universal, attended VHS. Carol made suggestion to use General Manager to
get Mr. Myer’s personal email address.
4. Email contact to volunteers
a. Never got response from Company???? Inquiry re: banners.
b. We have no funds for banners, regardless.
c. Pole banners are most expensive, but City will let them stay up for up
to 1 month at a time depending on other bookings. Although smaller,
they cost more because of the multiple install/strike fees.
d. Across‐street banner cost $500 and have only 1 installation fee
e. AAA banner suggested
6. Multiple discussions insured simultaneously and with great enthusiasm.
ABBOTT KINNEY FESTIVAL – Chuck
1. Locations still being determined
2. VHS has 2 booth spots reserved; one for Alumni Association the other for
Centennial Celebration and we’re hoping for a corner location.
3. 138 spots have been signed up for with more straggling in.
3. AKF organizers want to use VHS as parking lot.
4. AKF organizer Kim is overwhelmed and could use help/volunteers.
SILENT AUCTION – Carolyn
1. Lots of letters sent out and lots of personal contacts made but lack of
donations is worrisome. Please put extra effort into thinking about donors
and into contacting them.
2. Renee has sent some Thank You letters/emails already.
3. Date set again for November 6, 2010
4. Location set for Raddison Hotel, Culver City. Parking available on site and
across the street for “couple bucks”
a. Lobby Foyer for Silent Auction starting at 6 p.m.
b. Cocktails Outside ballroom
c. Dinner $39.50/person
d. No host cocktails
5. Donation Letters made available and circulated
6. Sponsor packets available from Carol
7. Various options discussed
a. Raffle? Gift cards as raffle?
b. Bid on items with raffle‐type tickets
8. Next Silent Auction meeting to be held Monday, 8/16/10, 7 p.m. at Chorpash
9. Lorena, Patrice and her daughter Stefanie are working with Carol on
recruiting celebrities for the parade.
VOLUNTEER DINNER – Lydia (Sally not available)
1. Two main groups of kids: MECHA plus church/club groups
2. Dinner needs to be confirmed by January. Only been offered
Monday/Tuesday nights by venues.
3. Needs to carry roster to cross
4. Manny’s Lo Riders may create a Centennial Bicycle and make donation of
5. Flyer changes requested: add language recruiting volunteers. Nanette
requested Lydia mark up copy.
6. Flyers placed at skate park
7. Posters wanted (1‐2 dozen at prime locations)
a. Regina ‐‐ Working with art students to create
b. Sue — ????
Renee – Business cards designed and donated by Nan, who also donated cost of 1,000
cards. Hand out to people (and especially stress the need for volunteers and donations).
Betsy wants 500 cards and donated $38 for the next order of 1,000 cards. We’ll increase
the order and Renee will donate the difference.
FESTIVAL REPORT – Chuck (see attached report)
1. Next festival meeting on 9/1/10. Will find out in Sept. how many people are
committing, including kids and organizations to come up with “a hard
2. Wood, etc. to be donated by VHS wood shop.
3. Sue – ask community groups to sponsor game both or advertise supply
materials, LA Westside Optimist donated $ ????
4. Signs. Materials needed. Betsy—collecting gently used plastic signs, many
with grommets from film shoots etc. Lawn signs not really safe, better to
hand from tents’ horizontal poles with zip ties.
5. Sue—Vendors needed food, crafts. Vendor applications passed out and they
can be downloaded from website. Only one of each type of vendor allowed.
6. Non‐profits charged? Sue will take to committee.
7. 16 game booths available, so maybe a game booth could go to a non‐profit
8. Carol – Vets’ Park/La Ballona Park. Need to handout cards at this event
during the last weekend of August.
REUNIONS & PICNIC – Nancy (see attached)
1. ’61 questions about what “sponsor” means:
a. $$ Amount or booth? Carol provided Sponsor packet
b. Picnic Options
2. Pop‐In option of Parade well received
3. ’66 having lively reunion so won’t be at Parade!
4. ’91 wants to participate and wants to have a float. Referred to Carol
5. ’56 Games food/crafts/jewelry. Sue will provide information
6. Box Lunches – Nancy asked who Picnic Chair is (Renee replied that Nancy is
a. Grant had suggested box lunch for after‐Parade participants
b. Many are concerned about the build up of reunion costs. Need total
dollar amount of all activities.
c. Don’t compete with Taste of Venice
d. Food for Sunday on hold
7. Reunion Sites
a. ’50, ’51, ’52 Hacienda Hotel, 525 N. Sepulveda Blvd., El Segundo, CA
b. W’62 FantaSea Yacht Club, Marina del Rey
c. W’66, S’66 Marina del Rey Hotel, Marina del Rey
PARADE – Carol (see attached)
1. Meeting held at California Pizza Kitchen 7/28/10
2. Route Established
a. Start on Pacific @ Venice Blvd, south on Beethoven, west on Zanja,
north on Walgrove, enter VHS from parking lot
b. Pop‐ins jump in at VHS as parade passes by. Only 1.5 block walk
c. Nancy jump out @ VHS
d. Parking Lot @ Venice Library possible site for Media
e. Line up time 9 a.m.
f. Step off 10 a.m.
g. Patrice Panzic joined the committee to help recruit celebs/dignitaries
h. Molly, contact for the equestrian unit, told to call Venice PD in April
i. Betsy working to build up Band and Crescendos participants
j. Minutes available from Carol
k. Need help w/skateboard event and parade. Will attend Skateboard
Assoc. Meeting with Lydia.
l. Lawyer $1K sponsorship of donated time/legal advice. Working with
Carol to create the legal forms/participant waiver
m. Lydia concerned that cost of participation (T‐shirt) will be too great
for skateboarding youth to afford
n. Renee‐‐‐Abbott Kinney Festival will be big push for getting
skateboarders signed up; reminds that we need the
waiver/application ready for the AFK.
VOLUNTEER SUPPORT – Lydia
1. Arturo Pena, Bill Rosendhal’s right hand will come to September’s meeting. His
a. Need to ensure that helmets must be worn by skateboarders.
b. Purchase of helmets promised by PD.
c. Grace period for helmet law almost over.
d. Lauren on vacation but Lydia will get more volunteers.
e. $150 ticket issued to skateboarder for not wearing helmet.
f. Human Relations Commissioner contacted to iron out reported police
harassment of skateboarders.
2. Mr. Pena asked Lydia her Top 3 Wishes
a. Waive parade permit fees
b. Banners placed gratis
c. Donate vast amounts of cash
CAR SHOW – Renee
1. Debbie Hopkins single‐handedly working as two committee members dropped
out. This committee really needs help!
2. Westside Classics Club will help out with the show and will do judging.
3. Will there be trophies? — Monica. Yes
4. Monica provided information and insight and voiced concerns that we’re not
doing things the way shows are usually run. Renee will send Monica Debbie’s
contact information so Monica’s expertise can be utilized.
5. Renee was reminded that Beverly Chaney also has experience in car shows.
Renee will contact her to hopefully help Debbie.
GOLF TOURNANENT – Renee
Nothing to report
FUNDRAISING – Carol
1. Sept 1 deadline for sponsor is flexible
2. Cash, cash equivalents, goods, services,—they’re all good!
3. Set: 9/21/10 Islands, Marina del Rey: 20% to VHS Alumni Association. Trying for
8/31/10 for Souplantation. Daphne’s donated two $20 gift certificates and is also
the site of October’s fundraiser. Carol asks for available dates. Will find out if
Saturday night available (from the floor, October dates determined as not
acceptable: 13th, Halloween weekend, and not 22nd‐‐ homecoming)
4. Sue suggests first weekend of December as people not quite into the holiday
5. January for The Library Ale House, Santa Monica
6. Check from CPK will take several weeks to arrive
7. Economy blamed for lack of donations
8. Possible during parade to honor Larry Stephenson, inventor of skateboard
improvements (including plastic wheels and flip). He and/or his children to
participate? He reportedly has M.S.
d. Nan—get him to sign and donate skateboard(s)?
e. Renee—get media to cover story get him/them to have products at a
WEBSITE – Wally (see attached report)
1. Addition of mail‐in form to web still pending. Discussed design with Nan. Form
print out, fill out, scan & email then send original signed form with the check to
pay for items
2. Problem creating button for Calendar sales on hold for time being
3. Will add new fundraising date(s)
4. Ray Race contact re: Band
5. Webpage hits nearly the 5K per week. General amazement and excitement
MERCHANDISE – Carolyn
1. Sweatshirt Order to be placed
a. Request for amounts and sizes of anticipated orders for Zippered
Hoodies to be sent to Carolyn ASAP
b. Selling at $40. Larger size prices TBD
c. Monica recommended a middle weight fabric, 7 oz.
d. Monica and Carolyn will meet re: quality and weight of hoodie
2. Other merchandise — Carolyn, Nan and Monica contributed ideas for various
products and several lively discussions ensued. Items discussed include but not
limited to bottle opener skate board, karabiner, mister bottle, flash‐drive
3. Monica and Carolyn will discuss other possible items during their hoodie
4. Since we still don’t have a calendar PayPal button on website, hit “Contact”
button place order or call Nan or Carolyn to order items (and save shipping and
handling charges.) The Alumni Assoc wants to recover costs of printing the
calendars prior to passing on overage from the sales to the Centennial website.
SCHOOL PARTICIPATION – Alyssa
1. Football Games
a. 9/22 Homecoming
b. Upcoming games 9/3, 9/16, 10/15
2. Drill Team Camp – her mom, Elda is coaching this summer
3. Distributed flyer for Drill Team’s fundraiser at Panda Inn on 8/13/10
ART – Emily
1. Upcoming events reported on and flyers circulated
a. Japanese American Memorial Marker @ Lincoln and Venice Boulevards
b. Restore Poetry wall adjacent to Police Department
c. Community Meeting on 9/11/10
d. Even More Prison Stories 8/21/10
FINANCIAL REPORT – Marianne not present.
July ending balance $2,688.67
Renee ‐‐ Nan fixed PayPal and $1K+ check was deposited
New VHS Principal Elsa Mendoza selected. Carol suggested a handwritten note be sent
from the VHSCC Committee welcoming her and inviting her to meetings. Renee made
note of request.
Rob asked about identity of the Calendar photographer. Nan pointed out the credits on
the back of calendar.
Meeting adjourned at 9:44 p.m.
Recorded and respectfully submitted by
Betsy Wheeler Kollgaard, VHS Centennial Committee, Gondolier Band and Crescendos
Venice High Centennial Agenda August 11, 2010
1. Introductions, sign in sheet
2. Chair report Renee
3. Minutes Renee
4. Financial Report Marianne
5. Calendar, Project Management Julia
6. Commemorative Book Elayne
a. Abbott Kinney Festival Sept. 26, 2010 Chuck
b. Silent Auction Nov. 6, 2010 Carolyn
c. Volunteer dinner Thurs (?) Lydia/Sally
d. Festival Sat Sue/Chuck
e. Reunions/picnic Sat Nancy
f. Parade Sun Carol
g. Car Show Sun Debbie/Cindy/Westside
h. Golf Tournament Mon Jim B.
8. Fundraising Carol
9. Publicity/Marketing/Promotion Lorena/Alyssa
10. Website Wally
11. Merchandise Carolyn
12. Support Services Bob/Tim
13. Volunteers/School Support Norma/Lydia/Sylvia
14. Art Committee Regina/Emily
15. Famous Grads/Wall of Fame Lorena
16. Other business
Centennial Meetings: 9/15, 10/13, 11/10 at 7 p.m., Venice High Cafeteria
Silent Auction Committee: 8/16 at 7 p.m., Chorpash home (12501 Stanwood Place)
Festival Committee: 9/1, 9/29 at 7 p.m., Chorpash home (12501 Stanwood Place)
Restaurant FUNdraiser: 9/21 from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Islands in Marina del Rey
(404 Washington Blvd.) Flyers will be emailed.
Possible Restaurant FUNdraiser on 8/31, location to be announced.
Festival Committee Meeting
Nan Chorpash’ house 8/4/10 @ 7:10 p.m.
In Attendance: Chuck Garcia, Nanette Chorpash, Renee Chorpash, Sue Wong, Lydia
Ponce’, Odalys Garcia
Renee presented the Production Sheet that’s being put together by Lydia, Julia and
Renee passed out copies of the Vendor application and agreement for distribution.
Discussed how we will run the vendor review. We’ll review by email. Approved vendors
will be notified by email and posted on the website. Approval within 10 business days.
**On website ask Vendor to email the application to VHSfestival@yahoo.com and mail
the hard copy with deposit check.
Renee gave Chuck and Odalys current list of Abbott Kinney attendees.
Kim Sharp is the Abbott Kinney Festival Events Producer. Chuck is waiting for space
confirmation. They want VHS to provide parking.
We discussed sound: Vic Stolpe (Heavy Sound) and Ed Cirino (Goldsound Sound and
Renee passed out copies of Silent Auction solicitation letter.
Nanette said Maggie Carrier will work with us in some capacity.
Generator may not be necessary for bands if we can use house power from the
**Add to Project Sheet – Custodial duties and/or rounds rental check, auditorium,
Sue said ask groups to sponsor booths for minimum of $100.
Lydia spoke with baseball family moms. They would love to do things with us.
The cheerleaders want to get involved.
Water Polo (fall/winter sport) will do a fundraiser.
Lydia said Mike Feingold would like to do a MECha fundraiser – maybe chariot racing.
This is where adults and children ride tricycles. We can charge $5 per person. It needs to
be done on cement. No prizes; just bragging rights.
Page 1 of 2
Wood update: there will only be two wood shop classes this next semester. Chuck will
get together with Lydia and Linda Patterson to get the wood. We need an indoor space
to store it.
Lydia is meeting with Arturo Pena. She’ll invite him to our meeting and discuss the
Centennial with him.
We can have all the sponsors come to a meeting and have them first on the agenda.
We’ll go over everything with them and then they can leave the meeting.
We need a letter for groups – Rotary, Lions, Kiwanis, etc.
Sue will pay for an ad in program for Culver City Chamber Orchestra for 8/22/10
Nanette got a donation of 298 clay turtle whistles as game prizes. They came from
Inside Out in Venice. Renee will send a thank you letter.
Meeting adjourned 8:55.
Next festival committee meetings: 9/1 and 9/29, 7 p.m. at Chorpash home
Prepared by Renee Chorpash
NOTE: The Festival booths on front lawn will be taken down Saturday night. Picnic
and Parade need to check with Support Services to coordinate for Sunday’s 1st aid, etc.
Page 2 of 2
Parade Committee Meeting
California Pizza Kitchen 7/28/10 @ 7 p.m.
In Attendance: Carol Maher, Molly Wine, Nanette Chorpash, Carolyn Chorpash, Renee Chorpash, Nancy
Mills, Betsy Wheeler Kollgaard, Grant Francis
A few emails have come in from people wanting to get involved.
1) Skateboarder thought parade was last month.
2) ’77 VW Bus wants to be in parade.
3) Two brothers that are clowns.
An attorney is donating time for the parade application and disclaimer. She recommended that we have
liability insurance for the parade.
We need final decision on the route. Carol passed around 4 maps. We’ll make a decision at the end of
1) Start at Venice Pier, left on Pacific, right on Venice Blvd.
2) Windward to Circle, right on Main, left on Venice Way, left on Venice Blvd.
3) Start on Windward, roundabout Westminster, right up Abbott Kinney, left on Venice Blvd.
4) Start at Pacific and Venice Blvd., right on Beethoven, go to back of school.
Nancy will walk the routes.
Venice Historical Society thinks we should start the parade at Windward Circle since that’s where the
original High School was.
Original start time was early but most parades start at 11:00. Final decision is line up at 9:00 a.m., march
at 10:00 a.m.
PRE‐PARADE SET‐UP AND ORGANIZATION (SUPPORT SERVICES)
Need person in charge of:
1) Parking/transport – SUPPORT SERVICES
2) Check in participants – ALIZA WINE
3) Directions – Info desk
4) Security – SUPPORT SERVICES
5) Start of parade – GRANT FRANCIS
Get newspaper to put out that we’re searching for oldest living VHS graduate
Page 1 of 2
Betsy can get some used lawn signs from Santa Monica
Wendy Kornbeck has the music – she’s the choir teacher.
The Venice Historical Society would be willing to place a marker dedication at Windward Circle as the
original Venice High location, which is where Bank of America is now located.
Parade route #4 has been chosen: starting at Pacific and Venice Blvd., right on Beethoven, going to back
of school. It will be presented by Grant and Carol to the engineer for review.
EVERYONE marching in the parade will be required to sign a waiver.
Meeting adjourned 8:30 p.m.
Prepared by Renee Chorpash
Page 2 of 2
Venice High School Centennial
Web Page Report
Date: August 11, 2010
Some of the information we need to complete our web page is still not available, since the events, sponsors
and store items are not ready for publication. Web pages are always a work in progress that never ends as
information, times, dates and events are always subject to change.
We still need to add to the web site a mail in order form for the tee-shirts and the memory book for those
people that do not want to purchase them online. I also need the information for this months fund raiser; I
believe it’s at Islands Restaurant in Marina Del Rey.
I have not received the button code so that I can place the Centennial Calendar on the store page of the web
site. Raymond Race has been in contact with me regarding placing some type of sign up page on the web
site for the band reunions. I asked him to call me so that we could discuss this in more detail.
I am adding the following web statistics report to my monthly report. This is the weekly average of hits
(visits) to our web page:
Successful requests in last 7 days 4,984 Requests
As we develop sponsors, events and products the web site will evolve into a much larger detailed web site.
Changes can be made as required, but I need the information that we want to post. Please remember that
when supplying text for the web page that I need it as an attachment to your email in Microsoft Word,
Windows Word or Windows Note Pad format. These formats allow me to copy and paste the text and not
have to retype all of the information.