Docstoc

EWB-UK National Fundraising Team Meeting

Document Sample
EWB-UK National Fundraising Team Meeting Powered By Docstoc
					EWB-UK National Fundraising Team Meeting
Minutes
Thursday 3rd January 2008, , Ramboll Whitbybird Office, London

Present
Nigel Vaz (NV), Robin Campbell (RC) (phone), Tom Spurrier (TS), Tom Willcock (TW) (phone), Sarah
Clayton (SC)

Telephone Conference

Apologies
Tom Newby (TN), Gavin Cook (GC), Tombo Banda (TB), Thalia Konaris (TK), Ashwini Rao (AR)

Circulation
All above + Ruvan Mendis (RM), Jo da Silva (JdS)

1. Actions from last meeting
  NV to talk directly with Alistair Lynch to formalise Branch Fundraising Protocol (i.e. how much can
   branches keep when raising for EWB-UK)
            o Ongoing
  NV - Send RAE article and Annual Review to all supporters when final version of AR printed
            o Ongoing, still waiting for accounts to finalise AR – Ben Taylor (Treasurer) chasing. Trustees
                 aware. Deadline needed?
  NV to wait for confirmation from Rob Malies when Margaret Underwood gets paid for her services at the
   NC before approaching her for assistance
            o Ongoing, still waiting – possibly has been paid, TBC.
  NV to set up next Anglo American meeting after feedback letter has been sent
            o Ongoing, see Corporate
  NV to ask Andrew Lamb to get EWB-UK email addresses for all members of Fundraising Team
            o Ongoing, AL is out of country until 07/01/08, NV to chase then
  NV to write Fundraising Operational Plan and circulate draft to team
            o Done
  NV to find better contact details for Ian Baggs (EWB Bristol President) from Rob Cottrell and pass on to
   TW
            o Closed, TW now in contact with Ian
  TW to contact Andrew Lamb (drove a minibus to the NC) and GC about „D1‟ minibus license
            o Done, see Branches and Events
  TS to establish official points of contact in as many companies as possible
            o Ongoing
  TS to encourage active PN members to visibly display support of EWB-UK (e.g. calendars if they exist)
   and to spread enthusiasm, involvement in EWB-UK
            o Ongoing
  NV to set up meeting with IStructE President for January
            o Ongoing, NV to send follow-up email
  All to develop further website content (a lot can be recycled from other publications) and post up
            o Ongoing
  NV – meet with Rose Papararo, Funding Officer at RedR
            o Ongoing, RP is out of country until 07/01/08, NV to chase then
  AR, NV to confirm from TN expected funds to be raised from Big Event
            o Done, TN confirms £50k - £100k, though there is still some uncertainty about securing
                 participants for the event
  RC to send follow-up email to BT
            o Done – see Corporate
 RC, TN and NV to work with Placements Team and Tariq Khokhar (formerly of EWB-UK, now works
  for Aptivate) to produce summary document of EWB-UK relationship with Aptivate with personal case
  study of Tariq, send to BT
            o Done – useful doc to demonstrate industry links. Placements team very helpful. Bank of
                reports from previous placements.
            o All funding team need access to placements area on website where some docs are stored,
                NV to set this up
            o Useful docs to be stored centrally (website/CRM)
 Louise Bloom to attend BT Apprentice Showcase at Adastral Park
            o Done – see Corporate
 NV and TK – Gifford – meet with Bruce Cozens (Director) and Jessica Robinson (Graduate Engineer) on
  7/12/07
            o Done, see Corporate
 New funding approaches to begin, team members assigned as below. Process described in Appendix
            o Mott Macdonald – SC
                      Progressing, see Corporate
            o Mouchel Parkman – SC
                      Started, see Corporate
            o Jacobs – TB
                      Not started, action carried over
            o Black & Veatch – AR
                      Unknown
            o Goldman Sachs – AR
                      Unknown
 TS and Rob Malies (PN Coordinator) to assist with contacting EWB-UK members in these companies
            o Ongoing, see Professional Network
 RC to write generic covering letter template to be sent out with ARs with space for one customised
  paragraph and send to SC
            o Ongoing, to be done after more urgent priorities
 SC to tailor AR letters to specific recipients
            o Ongoing, can‟t start yet
 SC to send final versions of Appeal letters to RM, RC, NV for approval
            o Done
 SC to organise printing, postage of letters
            o Done, action to Ben Taylor (Treasurer)
 NV to add Studio51.com Christmas Cards page to EWB-UK website, send emails to encourage Nat Exec,
  Branches Coordinator, PN Coordinator
            o Done
 TW to add Everyclick.com page to EWB-UK website
            o Done
 All to sign up to Everyclick.com and use actively
            o Started, action carried over, see Individual
 RC to re-design EWB-UK Gift Aid form to be simpler, more comprehensive
            o Done, see Individual
 RC to draft an EWB-UK Standing Order Form (none exists currently)
            o Done, see Individual
 RC to add page to EWB-UK website explaining how to set up payroll giving and the advantages
            o Ongoing, to be done after more urgent priorities
 NV to draft a signature that all EWB-UK people can use on external mail with a link to support page and
  post to EWB-UK website after confirmation from Alistair Cook (Publicity Coordinator)
            o Done
 TW to apply for a permit for a Sunday, liaise with Nottingham RAG in Feb
            o Ongoing, to be done after more urgent priorities
 TW to apply for permits for Walsall, Coventry, need to get permits for 50 people (for Megaraid in Nov
  ‟08)
            o Ongoing, to be done after more urgent priorities
 TW to add page to website seeking participants and deposits for Great North Run
            o Done
 TW to confirm deadline for application for places for GN Run
          o Done, see Branches and Events
 RC to forward draft funding pack to all team members
          o Done
 All team members to feedback, contribute to funding pack
          o Ongoing, see Fundraising Publicity
 TW to attempt to secure support of a journalist (personal contact)
          o Ongoing, see Fundraising Publicity

2. Corporate Funding
 Anglo American
           o RM approved feedback letter and sent by email (standard procedure for Anglo) to Jody
              White (Primary Contact).
           o Jody White is Out of Office until 07/01/08, RM to chase for meeting from this date
 BT
           o RC sent follow-up email
           o Summary document of EWB-UK relationship with Aptivate with personal case study of Tariq
              Khokhar produced and sent
           o Louise Bloom and Sacha Grodzinski (Trustees) attended BT Apprentice Showcase at
              Adastral Park, apprenticeship scheme 16-20yr olds. Feedback sent by LB
           o RC to set up next meeting with BT for Jan, focus on Big Event support and Aptivate
 Gifford
           o NV and TK to met with Bruce Cozens (Director) and Jessica Robinson (Graduate Engineer)
              on 07/12/07
           o Positive meeting, definitely will continue financial support
           o BC indicated that Gifford charitable budget is limited to about £20k total and they have
              various priorities, key areas
           o Likely size of donation about £2k
           o NV to send follow-up email to BC and call to try to push for £5k
 Mott MacDonald
           o SC has contacted PN members at Mott (good response from PN)
           o Positive responses from several including Juliet Fulwood (set up EWB Durham with TW),
              Anna Lea
           o TN has passed on contact details of Chris Trinder, key person in CSR at Mott who
              authorised Appeal donation (never chased or received)
           o NV to contact Chris Trinder
           o NV to contact Alan Powderham, longstanding fundraising contact to keep him in the loop
           o Aim to meet high-level people by Feb 15th
 Mouchel Parkman
           o SC has contacted PN members at Mouchel but has had no replies
           o TN has passed on contact details of Pete Cullen, Director of Major Projects, who authorised
              Appeal donation
           o NV to contact PC after he has received Appeal Thanks Letter
           o Aim to meet high-level people by Feb 15th
           o RC has contact at Mouchel, RC to pass on to SC
 Jacobs
           o TB to proceed as per last meeting minutes, action carried forward
           o Aim to meet high-level people by Feb 15th
 Black & Veatch
           o AR to proceed as per last meeting minutes, action carried forward
           o Aim to meet high-level people by Feb 15th
 Goldman Sachs
           o AR to establish contact and assess possibilities for support
 BP
           o NV to contact Jignesh Parekh (former Chair of Trustees and most recent relationship
              handler) to establish best route
 All to phone TS before they need to make contact with PN members
 TS and Rob Malies (PN Coordinator) to assist with contacting EWB-UK members in these companies
 Appeal
          o    Ben Taylor actioned to send letters of thanks
          o    BT felt letters still needed some tidying up
          o    NV to finalise letters by 04/01/07
          o    BT to send letters by 05/01/07
 AR letters
          o    Important to be ready to send as soon as AR final version is ready
          o    RC to draft generic letter
          o    SC to draft list of sendees (current supporters, lapsed supporters etc)


3. Individual fundraising
 Giverortake.com
           o Cash back for online shopping (1-10%) + Gift Aid
           o NV to get EWB-UK registered on site. Then try to generate users.
 Everyclick.com
           o All to sign up and use actively
           o 1p for each click. Use as normal search engine & to replace bookmarks etc. Progress can be
                 monitored in real-time on their website
           o NV to recruit all National Exec members
           o NV to set up customised homepage with Everyclick
 Gift Aid form
           o RC has re-designed EWB-UK Gift Aid form to be simpler, more comprehensive
           o NV has sent to Ben Taylor to confirm it is legally appropriate
 Standing order form
           o RC has drafted an EWB-UK Standing Order Form (none exists currently)
           o NV has sent to Ben Taylor to confirm it is legally appropriate
 Payroll giving
           o RC to add page to EWB-UK website explaining how to set up payroll giving and the
                 advantages.
 Christmas Cards with Studio51.com
           o NV set up, will feed back on income
           o NV to remove from “support us” web page
 Email signature
           o NV to has posted on the EWB-UK website a signature that all EWB-UK people can use on
                 external mail with a link to support page

4. Branch and events fundraising
 Dublin Hitchhike
           o Success. More income than expected raised.
           o TW to add photos and page to website
 Ragraids
           o Nottingham – Yes. Cardiff – ongoing, but some problems. Sheffield – No joy.
           o RC has passed EWB Cardiff people‟s contact details to TW
           o T-shirts being ordered. Option of Tag-Line on tshirt in large print. New template needed if
               so. All agreed this is good idea.
           o TW to continue investigating sources for stickers to give to donors.
 RAG Megaraid 2008
           o Ongoing, there is still plenty of time to plan
 3 peaks challenge
           o TW has found a hire company, Discount Car Hire, that will allow hire of a proper minibus
               (up to 17 seater) without special license
           o TW has posted event info page on website.
           o TW to contact branches directly to secure participants.
           o Consider possible incentives for branches? i.e. free/subsidised training places for highly
               achieving teams?
           o In general, create a Facebook page for each event.
 Land‟s End to John O‟Groats Cycle
            o Ongoing preparations
   Tough Guy
            o Ongoing preparations
   Great North Run
            o NV has put in application in for 15 Charity places. As a new charity we need to ballot,
                 maximum 5 places likely.
            o General public ballot opens 12th Jan. One place per ballot, ballot as individual person not as a
                 charity and places non-transferable.
            o TW to add details and link for ballot to website when ballot opens
   Fundraising Event Tracker
            o TW is working with Andrew Lamb to set up a tracker on the website so people can record
                 the details of fundraising events and so people can share ideas, replicate successful events,
                 learn from mistakes etc.
            o Estimated time until complete ~2 months

 5. Professional Network
   TS and Robert Malies (PN Coordinator) to populate Points of Contact list, especially for major
    companies, useful to include EWB-UK activity/experience of PN members.
   Other PN involved activities listed in other sections

 6. Grants & Trusts
   NV to identify someone to fill in the Rag (Leicester) and Duck forms
   Grant applications to be spread evenly through fundraising team

 7. Fundraising Publicity
   Fundraising Pack
            o RC has compiled a draft pack and forwarded to all team members
            o RC to forward most recent version tomorrow (04/01/08)
            o Donation document: two parts, one off gift form, and standing order form.
            o Suggest creating two separate, tailored documents from this source material, one corporate,
                one for everyone else. Donation forms to be separate documents, can be added or left out as
                required.
            o Draft document needs creative touches.
            o All to comment (tracked changes) by 11/01/08.
            o Content needed: images, factual content: case study of each programme areas, personal case
                study, project impact, etc. Feature in the doc to highlight a company that has been supporting
                EWB. Possibly Arup/BuroH? Arup internal document available – modify this for external use.
            o Final deadline for completion of document – 18/01/08
   TW is attempting to secure support of a journalist (personal contact)
            o TW – ongoing, positive initial response to idea
   Chris Foster (IT Trustee) keen that website looks professional and consistent. Anything that may need
    significant design etc contact CF, but otherwise please post yourself, as now (e.g. for events)

 8. Fundraising Operational Plan 07-08
   NV has circulated draft Fundraising Operational Plan to all team and relevant Trustees
   All to read and comment
   The Fundraising Operational Plan is the blueprint for our activity this year but it is flexible and dynamic –
    we can and will make changes when needed

 9. AOB
   NV, JdS, TN and TK to meet on 07/01/08 to discuss Trustee oversight and assistance in fundraising.

 10. EWB-UK general update
   Employee recruitment progressing well, a good number of suitable applications have been received from
    diverse applicants. Interviews scheduled for mid-Jan.

Actions
 NV to talk directly with Alistair Lynch to formalise Branch Fundraising Protocol (i.e. how much can
  branches keep when raising for EWB-UK)
 NV - Send RAE article and Annual Review to all supporters when final version of AR printed
 NV to wait for confirmation from Rob Malies when Margaret Underwood gets paid for her services at the
  NC before approaching her for assistance
 NV to set up next Anglo meeting after letter has been sent
 NV to ask Andrew Lamb to get EWB-UK email addresses for all members of Fundraising Team
 TS to establish official points of contact in as many companies as possible
 TS to encourage active PN members to visibly display support of EWB-UK (e.g. calendars if they exist)
  and to spread enthusiasm, involvement in EWB-UK
 NV to set up meeting with IStructE President for January
 NV – meet with Rose Papararo, Funding Officer at RedR
 Funding approaches to begin/continue, team members assigned as below. Process described in Appendix
         o Mott Macdonald – SC
         o Mouchel Parkman – SC
         o Jacobs – TB
         o Black & Veatch – AR
         o Goldman Sachs – AR
 TS and Rob Malies (PN Coordinator) to assist with contacting EWB-UK members in these companies
 RC to write generic covering letter template to be sent out with Annual Reviews with space for one
  customised paragraph and send to SC
 SC to tailor AR letters to specific recipients
 SC to draft list of recipients for AR (current supporters, lapsed supporters etc)
 All to sign up to Everyclick.com and use actively
 NV to recruit all National Exec members to Everyclick
 NV to set up customised homepage with Everyclick
 RC to add page to EWB-UK website explaining how to set up payroll giving and the advantages
 TW to apply for a permit for a Sunday, liaise with RAG in Feb
 TW to apply for permits for Walsall, Coventry, need to get permits for 50 people
 All team members to feedback, contribute to funding pack
 TW to attempt to secure support of a journalist (personal contact)
 Anglo American - Jody White is Out of Office until 07/01/08, RM to chase for meeting from this date
 RC to set up next meeting with BT for Jan, focus on Big Event support and Aptivate
 NV to send follow-up email to Bruce Cozens at Gifford and call to try to push for £5k
  donation
 NV to contact Chris Trinder and Alan Powderham at Mott MacDonald
 NV to contact Pete Cullen at Mouchel Parkman after he has received Appeal Thanks Letter
 RC has contact at Mouchel, RC to pass on to SC
 Jacobs: TB to proceed as per last meeting minutes, action carried forward
 Black and Veatch: AR to proceed as per last meeting minutes, action carried forward
 AR to establish contact and assess possibilities for support at Goldman Sachs
 BP: NV to contact Jignesh Parekh (former Chair of Trustees and most recent relationship handler) to
  establish best route
 All to phone TS before they need to make contact with PN members
 TS and Rob Malies (PN Coordinator) to assist with contacting EWB-UK members in these companies
 NV to finalise Appeal letters by 04/01/07 and send to Ben Taylor
 BT to send Appeal letters by 05/01/07
 NV to get EWB-UK registered on GiveOrTake.com (shopping cashback website). Then try to generate
  users.
 NV to report back income from Christmas Cards through Studio51.com
 NV to remove Christmas Cards from “support us” web page
 TW to add Dublin Hitchhike photos and page to website
 TW to continue investigating sources for stickers to give to donors.
 TW to contact branches directly to secure participants for 3-peaks challenge
 TW to add details and link for ballot to website when ballot opens
 Fundraising events tracker: TW to continue working with Andrew Lamb
    TS and Robert Malies (PN Coordinator) to populate Points of Contact list, especially for major
     companies, useful to include EWB-UK activity/experience of PN members.
    NV to identify someone to fill in the Rag (Leicester) and Duck forms
    RC to forward most recent version of Fundraising Pack tomorrow (04/01/08)
    All to comment (tracked changes) by 11/01/08.
    Final deadline for completion of document – 18/01/08
    All to read and comment on Fundraising Operational Plan 07-08
    NV, JdS, TN and TK to meet on 07/01/08 to discuss Trustee oversight and assistance in fundraising.

Next Meeting
Thursday 31st January 2008, 6.30pm, Ramboll Whitbybird Office, London (TBC)

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:4
posted:8/10/2011
language:English
pages:7