2011-12 UH System Scholarship
For which semester(s) would you like to apply? (Please note most Aid is awarded on the whole academic year)
Entire 2011-2012 Academic Year
1. Provide full name and email address for at least two (2) recommenders. A minimum of two (2) Letters of
Recommendation are required. As a courtesy, please contact your "recommenders" ahead of time to request
permission to use them as recommenders and inform them of the deadline to submit their recommendation
through STAR (via an email that they will receive from firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you submit your online
scholarship application). Recommendations are due by Friday, March 18, 2011 at 4:00 pm (HST).
o Add Another Reference
2. Transcripts are required for all applicants and MUST be received or postmarked by the March 15, 2011
deadline. Please see the attached document for instructions on submitting your transcripts. Please download,
complete, save and re-attach the Education Information Form (Education Information Form provided on page 5 of
o Upload file.
3. What island in the State of Hawaii are you a resident of? (i.e. Not applicable, Oahu, Kauai, Maui, Lanai, Molokai,
Niihau or Hawaii/Big Island) (max characters: 50)
4. How long have you been a resident of the island indicated above?
Not Applicable 12 months or greater Less than 12 months
5. The following information (questions 5 - 17) will be used to determine if you can be considered for special
interest scholarships (i.e. Scholarships which require specific criteria to qualify). Being that an answer is
"required", if the question is not applicable to you, please indicate "No" or "not applicable" (you cannot
leave any questions blank).
o Are you a child or grandchild of a University of Hawaii alumni or a University of Hawaii Alumni Association
(UHAA) member (indicate Yes or No)? If yes, please input the full name of your Parent or Grandparent
and the dates they attended UH; separated by commas. (i.e. name used when they attended a UH
campus: Jane Mary Doe, mother, 1950-1954) (max characters: 2000)
6. Are you a graduate of the Farrington Health Care Academy?
UH System Scholarships
2444 Dole Street, Bachman Hall 207, Honolulu, HI 96822
Telephone: (808) 956-6625 Fax: (808) 956-9219
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution
7. Are you enrolled in any Health Service Courses and/or are you employed in the Health Services (Yes/No)? If yes,
indicate the Health Service Courses you have enrolled in and/or indicate the employer of the Health Service
employment you currently work for; separated by commas. (max characters: 2000)
8. Are you a member of the Leo Club?
9. Are you a 1st generation or 2nd generation immigrant to Hawaii?
10. Are you of Korean ancestry?
11. Do you reside in the San Francisco Bay Area or are you a graduate of a San Francisco Bay Area High School
(Yes/No)? If yes, please input the San Francisco Bay area county you reside in and/or the name of your San
Francisco Bay area High School and Graduation Date; separated by commas (i.e. Oakland, San Francisco High
School, 1988). (max characters: 2000)
12. Do you live in Palolo Valley, Palolo Homesteads, or in Palolo Districts?
13. Were you born in the State of Hawaii (Yes/No)? If yes, which Island in the State of Hawaii were you born on?
(max characters: 50)
14. What zip code(s) do your parent(s) reside in? (max characters: 50)
15. Do you have a parent employed at the Honolulu office of Merrill Lynch (Yes/No)? If yes, input your parent’s full
name and his/her position title? (max characters: 2000)
16. What Pacific Island group are you a native or resident of (i.e. American Samoa, Common Wealth of Northern
Marianas, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Futuna, Kiribati, Nauru, New Caledonia, Niue, Papua
New Guinea, Republic of Marshall Island, Republic of Palau, Solomon Islands, Tokelau, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu,
Wallis, or None of the above)? (max characters: 2000)
17. Are you involved in either 1) any Pacific-related work that benefits Pacific Island countries or 2) in any course-
related internships, research or work that benefits Pacific Island countries (Yes/No)? If yes, please provide a brief
description. (max characters: 2000)
18. What is your primary filed of interest (see attached list of majors)? (max characters: 100) List of majors provided
on page 6 & 7 of this document.
19. Please complete a Personal Statement and attach it here:
o Your Personal Statement should include the following, if applicable:
why you think you deserve a scholarship;
your educational and career goals (especially if you plan to pursue a career in teaching of
any accomplishments, including any honors or awards;
any extracurricular activities related to Japanese language or culture;
your personal background, including any highlights, special situations in your life or other
information that you want the Scholarship Committee to take into consideration (i.e. Returning to
school later in life, raising children while pursuing a degree, etc.); and
any barriers to your obtaining your educational goals and how you plan to overcome them (i.e.
Socio-economic or educational disadvantages).
o Upload file.
20. To be considered for scholarships that require or give preference to certain areas of interest, an essay(s) will be
used to determine if you are eligible for those scholarships. Being that an answer (attachment) is required, if you
will not be attaching an essay(s), please attach a document stating that you are "not interested in providing an
essay"; you cannot leave this question blank. Please complete a separate essay for each topic and save your
essay(s) as separate document(s) with the file name being the topic of your essay. Topics include: Community
Service Essay, Health Care Essay, 442nd Essay, and/or Dr. Stevens Essay (maximum 1 page per topic - up to 4
documents may be attached). For a complete description of the topics you should address in your essay(s),
please review the attachment. Attachment with description of essay topics provided on page 8 of this document.
o Upload file(s).