Lew Wallace family Tree
David Wallace (b. 4/24/1799 in Mifflin Co. PA. d. 9/4/1859 in Indianapolis)
His parents were Andrew and Eleanor (Ellen) Jones. David was eldest of 7 children.
David, Catherine, Benjamin Franklin, John Thompson, William Henson, Thomas
Jefferson, Washington and John Milton.
M1. Esther French Test (b. 1806 m. 1824, d. 7/14/1834 in Covington)
1. William (b. 1825 d. 1891) m. (1) Cordelia BUTLER (1828-1866) and (2)
Sarah Maria JAMESON (1843-1868).
Children by first marriage were Esther, Zerelda, Lew, Ovid b. 1858, Anna and
Children by second marriage were David b. 1873 and Helen (1876-1892).
2. Lew (b. 1827 d. 1905) m. Susan Arnold ELSTON (1830-1907). Their only
child was Henry Lane WALLACE
3. John (b. ca. 1829, d. ca. 1832 of scarlet fever)
4. Edward (b. 1831 d. 1886 in Brownswood, TX.)
M2. Zerelda Gray Sanders (b. 8/6/1817 in Bourbon Co., Kentucky eldest of 5 sisters, m.
12/25/1836 in Indianapolis, d. 3/19/1901 in Cataract, Owen Co., Indiana at home of dau.
1. Mary (b. 1837, m. William W. Leathers, d. 1871)
William W. LEATHERS (1836-1875). Their children were James W. b. 1861
m. Lida CARNAHAN, Wallace (1864-1891), Zerelda (1868-1960) m. Arthur
B. GROVER and Mary b. 1871 m. William F. CLEVENGER.
2. Ellen (b. 1845 died young)
3. Agnes (b. 1849, m. J.H. Steiner) Agnes WALLACE (1849-1928) m. John H.
STEINER (1845-1903). They had one daughter.
4. David Jr., (b. 1852, m. Zelda Squin, d. 1911) m. Zelda HARRISON SEQUIN
5. Jemima (b. 1854 died young)
6. Sanders (B. 1857 died young)
General Lew Wallace: Genealogy
“Mine were folk who cared little for ancestry.”
Preface: This genealogy begins with General Lew Wallace’s grandparents,
Wallace and Eleanor Campbell. This first generation is designated with the
The next generation is prefaced with a number two, the third generation a
and so forth.
1. Andrew WALLACE (1778-1826) m. 1798 Eleanor CAMPBELL (1778-1849). Their children
were: David, Catherine,
Benjamin Franklin, John Thompson, William Henson, Thomas Jefferson, Washington and John
2. David WALLACE (1799-1859) m. (1) Esther French TEST (1806-1834) and (2)
Gray SANDERS (1817-1901). Children by first marriage were William, Lewis,
Test (1829-1832) and Edward. Children by second marriage were Mary, Ellen b.
1845, Jemima b. 1854, Sanders b. 1857, Agnes and David.
3. William WALLACE (1825-1891) m. (1) Cordelia BUTLER (1828-1866) and (2) Sarah Maria
(1843-1868). Children by first marriage were Esther, Zerelda, Lew, Ovid b. 1858, Anna and
William. Children by second marriage were David b. 1873 and Helen (1876-1892).
4. Esther WALLACE (1845/8-1892) m. John Sanders DUNCAN (1846-1914).
children were WALLACE b. 1869 and Agnes b. 1871. Agnes m. a
4. Zerelda WALLACE (1854-1920) m. Louis HAUGHEY b. 1854. Their children
Theodore, William m. Irene TEST, Lawrence, Chauncey, Esther m. Thomas
DAVENPORT and John.
4. Lew WALLACE (1857-1928) m. Mary WARRACK (1864-1883). Their children
Lydia b. 1884 m. Henry DRESCHER and Warrack (1894-1969).
4. Anna WALLACE b. 1859 m. William A. HUGHES b. 1859. Their children were
Cordelia, Reginald, Robert J., Anna and Elizabeth.
4. William WALLACE b. 1866 m. Bessie KELLER b. 1867. Their children were
3. Lewis WALLACE (1827-1905) m. Susan Arnold ELSTON (1830-1907). Their
was Henry Lane WALLACE.
4. Henry Lane WALLACE (1853-1926) m. Margaret Vance NOBLE (1861-1925).
Their children were Lew Jr. and William Noble.
5. Lew WALLACE Jr. (1892-1949) m. Josephine PARROTT (1893-1971). They
had two sons and two daughters.
5. William Noble WALLACE (1895-1918), killed in action in World War I in
3. Edward WALLACE (1831-1886) died in Brownswood, TX.
3. Mary WALLACE (1837-1871) m. William W. LEATHERS (1836-1875). Their
were James W. b. 1861 m. Lida CARNAHAN, Wallace (1864-1891), Zerelda
(1868-1960) m. Arthur B. GROVER and Mary b. 1871 m. William F.
3. Agnes WALLACE (1849-1928) m. John H. STEINER (1845-1903). They had
3. David WALLACE (1852-1911) m. Zelda HARRISON SEQUIN (1848-1914).
2. Catherine WALLACE (1802-1859) m. Samuel LEWIS (1796-1843). Their children were Virginia
m. John HOUGH, Jr., Samuel m. Helen ARION, Thomas (1821-1849), David, Charles and
m. John CURTIS.
2. Benjamin Franklin WALLACE (1804-1887) m. (1) Ellen EWING, d.1834), (2) Samantha
(3) Samantha MAXWELL and (4) Celinda A. STEER. Children were Ellen d. 1863 m. Robert L.
McOUAT, William, Benjamin, Mary, Iowa and James M.
2. John Thompson WALLACE (1806-1864) m. Nancy KILBURN (1812-1908).
were John Milton (1844-1927) m. Martha Blanche ? , Charity, Elizabeth, Mary m.
Henry SPENCER and Henry Kilburn.
2. William Henson WALLACE (1811-1879) m. Susanna BRAZELTON. They had
daughters and a son.
2. Thomas Jefferson WALLACE (1813-1847) m. Mary Eliza Ann SNYDER in
2. Washington WALLACE b. 1815, supposedly went south. No further info.
2. John Milton WALLACE (1820-1864) m. Miriam C. WEEKS (1824-1915). Their
were Lewis Andrew, John Milton, Joseph (1856-1878) and Charles Lewis (1858-
3. Lewis Andrew WALLACE (1849-1914) m. Martha SAXON. Their children were
Joe (1876-1878) and Lew (1878-1951).
4. Saxon WALLACE (1880-1972) m. Esther Oleo REAGAN (1890-1973). They
son and a daughter.
3. John Milton WALLACE b.1853, wife’s name unknown, had three children:
Compiled by Joann Spragg