Standard: NS 1.7
Objectives: Find a markup.
Find a discount.
Markup vs. Discount
• Markup • Discount
A retail store buys When an item is on
items at wholesale sale, the store is
prices. To cover selling the item for
expenses and make less, so this is
a profit, the sells called discount.
items at higher retail
prices. The extra
amount is called the
• Finding the amount of • Finding the percent
markup. of markup.
• Aeropostale buys a • What is the percent
shirt at a wholesale of markup for the
price of $13.50 and shirt in the first
sells the shirt for problem?
$24.95. How much was
it marked up?
Markup=Retail Price - Wholesale Price
1) A store buys a pair of shoes at a wholesale
price of $37.50 and sells them for $50. What
is the amount of markup?
2) What is the percent of markup for the pair
of shoes in problem 1?
3) Find the cost after markup: $15 movie, 20%
• Find the amount of • Find the percent of
• A $36 book is on • What is the percent
sale for $27. What is of discount for the
the amount of book in the problem
Discount = Regular Price - Sale Price
1) A $90 coat is on sale for $76.50. What is the
amount of discount?
2) What is the percent of discount for the coat
in problem 1?