450g (1Ib) lean beef braising steak
25g (1oz) chorizo sausage
1 green chilli
2 cloves garlic
1 x 5ml spoon (1tsp) olive oil
1 beef stock cube
150ml (¼pt) water
2 x 15ml spoon (2tbsp) tomato purée
8 green olives pitted
1 can (400g approx) chopped tomatoes
Serves: 3 – 4
Time to cook: 2 hours
Weighing scales, vegetable knife, chopping board, garlic press, measuring spoons, oven-
proof dish with lid, measuring jug, kettle, mixing spoon, measuring jug, oven gloves.
1. Pre-heat the oven 180ºC or Gas Mark 4.
2. Prepare the meat:
• cut the steak into chunky cubes
• thinly slice the chorizo sausage
3. Using a clean knife and chopping board, wash, deseed and chop the chilli.
4. Peel and crush the garlic.
5. Heat the oil in a large ovenproof dish on the hob.
6. Add the beef braising steak and brown the surface.
7. Make up the stock.
8. Add the chorizo sausage, garlic, chilli, tomato purée, olives, tomatoes and beef stock.
9. Stir well and bring to the boil.
10. Once boiling, cover with a lid and cook for 1½ - 2 hours until the meat is tender.
• Serve with black eye beans, rice and a fruity salsa of mango and pineapple.
Did you know?
Chorizo sausage is a Spanish combination of pork seasoned with chill, paprika and garlic.
Nutrition information per 100g/serving: Energy 369/924kJ, protein 11.0/27.5g, carbohydrate 2.3/5.6g,
carbohydrate of which sugars 1.9/4.8g, fat 4.1/10.2g, saturated fat 1.5/3.8g, dietary fibre 0.6/1.4g, salt 0.6/1.5g,
A more comprehensive nutritional analysis is available at meatandeducation.com
(c) Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board 2011. This resource may be reproduced and used in all educational settings.