To Get Visa To Usa

Document Sample
To Get Visa To Usa Powered By Docstoc
					                                                                            Updated May 09

                              Student Services Centre
                              International Advice Team
                              Student Services Centre, Burlington Street
                              The University of Manchester, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL
                              Telephone 0161 275 5000 (option 1)
                              Fax 0161 275 7860 Email

                       Travelling to the US and getting a visa
The International Advice Team (IAT) cannot send your application for a US visa for you, but here are
some guidelines to assist you.

If you are going to the USA to visit family or friends or if you are going to attend a conference you need
to apply for a non-immigrant visa from the US Embassy in London. A non-immigrant visa can be granted
for a maximum of 90 days. There are certain categories of people who are exempt, please study this
website for details.

There are many different types of non-immigrant visas depending on why and for how long you are
going to the USA. The above website gives clear guidance to the various types of visas. We will
concentrate on the B-2 holiday visa which is the one that you are most likely to need.

There are other requirements for certain categories of people; please follow the information on the
website. For example, males aged between 16 and 45 are required to complete a supplemental non-
immigration visa application form:

Things to check before you apply:

   •   Your passport MUST have at least one blank page and be valid for 6 months after you return
       from your trip to the USA. The website has no information about the length of time that your
       UK immigration permission should be valid. We recommend a minimum of 3 months valid UK
       permission on return from the US (IAT can assist you to extend your UK student immigration
       permission, but not to obtain your visa for the USA).

   •   Check the above website for processing times for visa applications; it varies depending on time
       of year and which country you come from.

   •   We recommend that you study the above website at least 3 months in advance of your travel, so
       you know how long it takes to get your US visa and what documents are required to support
       your application.

Note: The US Embassy always recommends that individuals apply for visas well in advance of their
proposed date of travel. No assurances regarding the issuance of visas can be given in advance.
Therefore, final travel plans or the purchase of non refundable ticket should not be made until a visa has
been issued and you are in receipt of the passport.

Applying for your US visa

With limited exceptions (from the above website, click on “limited exceptions” to see what they are),
non-immigrant visa applicants aged 14 to 79 are required to schedule an appointment for an interview
with a US consular officer. Interviews are by appointment only. The Embassy does not accept walk-
in applications.
                                                                       Updated May 09
The following website shows you the regulations regarding attending an interview.

The website below has the postal address for the US Embassy in London and a telephone number to
ring for information and also to make an appointment:

   •   Complete form DS-156. Download the form from here:

   •   Pay the application fee.
   •   Each visa applicant is required to pay a visa application fee. Payment must be made in cash at a
       bank using the Embassy supplied paying-in slips. The fee cannot be paid at the Embassy. Payment
       is not yet available online. The visa application fee may be paid at any bank in cash. If paid
       through Barclays Bank, no additional charges apply. Other banks may apply an administrative
       charge. You should request a paying-in slip when scheduling the appointment for the visa

   •   Present a passport or other travel document valid for at least six months beyond the holder's
       period of stay in the US with at least one blank page. The six-month requirement does not apply
       to UK passports. If your passport is damaged, we recommend that you obtain a new passport
       before applying for the visa to avoid any delay in the processing of your application.
   •   Provide one passport size photograph which meets State Department regulations; you will find
       details of the State Department regulations on this website:
   •   Provide original bank statements showing sufficient funds to cover all expenses while in the
       United States.
   •   Provide a letter of enrolment at the University of Manchester. You can get this from the
       Student Services Centre. It is very important to prove that you need to return to the UK to
       complete your studies. It will strengthen your application further if you can prove that you need
       to return to your own country after your studies in the UK.
   •   If you are attending a conference or your visit has anything to do with your course here, you
       should provide documents to prove this. If you are visiting family or friends you must get a letter
       of invitation from them stating the length of your visit and, if this is the case, inviting you to stay
       with them.
   •   One of the most important factors in deciding whether to grant a visa is whether the consular
       officer believes that you intend to leave the US after your visit. For this purpose it is useful to
       demonstrate (with clear, original documents) your ties to the UK. These could include:
            o proof of employment (including part-time)
            o proof of family ties here (if you are leaving your partner/children in the UK)
            o property in the UK

                IMMIGRATION AND SERVICES                            The information in this leaflet is given in
                REGULATED BY THE                                    good faith and has been carefully checked.
                IMMIGRATION SERVICES                                The International Advice Team, however,
                COMMISSIONER                                        accepts no legal responsibility for its

Shared By:
Tags: student, visa, easy