Applying For A Tourist Visa

					                       Australian Government
                       Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs

             Applying for a Tourist Visa 676 (using Form 48R)
                        For Non ETA / Non e676-eligible passport holder

Thank you for your inquiry regarding visitor visas for Australia. A tourist visa is for persons wishing to visit
Australia temporarily for tourism or other recreational activities (holiday, sightseeing, social or recreational
reasons, to visit relatives or friends, or other short-term non-work purposes including study). If the purpose
of visit is to attend conference or business meetings, please apply for Business (Short Stay) visa by using
application form 456. This information should be read together with the information on page 1-3 in the
application form 48R

This information is for Non ETA eligible / Non e676 eligible passport holders.

ETA-eligible country list:
e676-eligible country list:

How to Make an Application

Ø    Application in Person
     - Applications for a visitor visa may be made at the Australian Embassy in Tokyo between
        the hours of 9 am and 12 pm, Monday through Friday.
        Your application should be lodged by 11:30am.

Ø    Application by Mail
     - You should send your documents to us by registered mail (Kakitome).
     - Please also ensure that you provide an A4 size self-addressed envelope which will be used to
        return you passport(s). Postage charge for passport return should be included in postal money
        order together with the visa application charge and fee (please see below). The postage charge
        will vary according to the number of passports, therefore please confirm the exact postage charge
        for registered mail with the post office before making the postal money order.

     < Mailing address >          Australian Embassy (Visitor Visa Section)
                                  2-1-14, Mita, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8361


Average processing time:
This should be regarded as being a guide only as the processing time of your application can vary widely
depending on your circumstances. We would appreciate if you could refrain from making progress inquiries
within the standard processing time. We will contact you if we require any further information. Please also
note that it is important that you do not take any irreversible actions such as purchasing airline tickets in
anticipation of being granted a visa.

General Information can be obtained through:
Australian Embassy, Tokyo website                           
Department of Immigration & Multicultural Affairs website   

Fax Inquiries                                                         : 03-5232-4173
Telephone Inquiries                                                   : 03-5232-4111 (9:00am- 12:00)

                                              Australian Embassy, Tokyo
                                                  Immigration section
                                     2-1-14 Mita, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8361, Japan
                         Telephone: 81 3 5232 4111(9:00am-12:00pm) facsimile: 81 3 5232 4173
Tourist Visa(Subclass 676) Information

                               Application Checklist (Form 48R)

• Valid passport with valid Japanese visa / valid Re-entry permit
      Please provide both original and 1photocopy of passport (photo page).
      Non-Japanese nationals residing in Japan who intend to return to Japan should also hold a re-entry
      permit issued by the Japanese Immigration Bureau. The re-entry permit should be valid until your
      return. Please also ensure that you have at least one visa page left in your passport.

•    Fully completed application form 48R Application to visit Australia for tourism.

•    1 passport photograph

•    Visa Application Charge (VAC)
       Fee applies. Please access to
         <Acceptable payment>
         Lodge by Mail: VAC should be paid by Postal Money Order (Yubin Kawase).
         Lodge in person: VAC should be paid by cash or Postal Money Order
        • Please note that this office is unable to receive or process payment in other currencies including
           Australian dollars ($AUD), or accept payment by credit card.

•    Supporting documentation

         Please provide documentation which you believe would support your claims of a genuine intention
         to visit Australia for tourism purposes and you have an incentive and authority to return to your
         country of residence, such as:

 • Evidence of sufficient funds showing transactions for the last 6 months (e.g.personal bank statements,
        pay slips, audited accounts, taxation records or credit card limit),
 • A letter of reference from your employer confirming your position, monthly salary and approved leave,
 • Evidence of academic record or attendance record for the last 6 months, evidence of enrolment at a
        school, college or university if you are a holder of Japanese student visa,
 • Travel itinerary / details of your travel plan
 • A copy of Alien Registration Card if non-Japanese nationals resident in Japan
 • If visiting relatives or friends, a letter of invitation from your relative or friend in Australia and evidence of
        your relationship with them. If your relative or friend is paying for your visit, provide evidence that they
        have the necessary funds,
 • Other information to show that you have the incentive and authority to return to your home country.

* Note: You may be requested to provide additional information including medical examinations after your
        application is received.

< Applicant under 18 years >
 * If children are under 18 years of age, travelling alone or without one or both their parents or legal
    guardians, please provide the following documents;

•   Form 1229 Consent form to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years, with
    witnessed signatures (by an Australian Mission or Notary Public)

•   Supporting documents from all custodial parent(s) or guardian(s)
    (Please refer to cover on Form1229),
        •   However, if the legal custodian(s) of children under 18 years of age are applying for visas
            together and intend to travel with the child, letter of consent (Form 1229) is not necessary.
•   Form 1257 Undertaking declaration
    If a child under 18 years is staying in Australia with someone other than a parent, legal guardian or
    relative, the declaration must be signed by the person responsible for that child in Australia.

Shared By: