Extending A Student Visa

Document Sample
Extending A Student Visa Powered By Docstoc
					Tier 4 (Student) Extending a student visa to study at City University: Guidance for dependants

28 April 2009

On 31 March 2009, the immigration rules for students changed and became Tier 4 of the Points Based System of immigration. These Guidance Notes explain how dependants apply to extend their leave to remain in the UK under the new system and should be read in conjunction with the Policy Guidance for dependants published by the UKBA at: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/pbs/pbsdependantspolicy.pdf

Can I apply in the UK as the dependant of a Tier 4 Student?
It is only possible to make an application as the dependant of a particular person if you ALREADY have immigration permission to be in the UK as that person’s dependant. NB It is no longer possible to ‘switch’ from a different category into the dependant category in the UK, e.g. switching from Student Visa to Dependant Visa. If you wish to change your visa status in this way, you will have to leave the UK and make an application for Entry Clearance as the dependant of a Tier 4 Migrant (see: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply/infs/inf29pbsstudent)

How much does the application cost?
By post If you apply AT THE SAME TIME as the main applicant - £50.00 If you apply AFTER the main applicant - £465 In person at a public enquiry office (PEO) If you apply AT THE SAME TIME as the main applicant - £50.00 If you apply AFTER the main applicant - £665 Applications at Public Enquiry Offices can only be made at pre-booked appointments. For more details, including the phone numbers to book appointments, see the UKBA website at: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/contact/applyinginperson/happenontheday/

Where can I get the application form?
The ‘Application for an extension of stay as a dependant of a person who has leave to remain under the points based system’ application form is available on the UK Border Agency website. Type ‘PBS dependant’ into the ‘Looking for a form?’ search facility on the bottom right-hand of the main UKBA Home Page at www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk or go directly to: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/pbs/dependants NB Always make sure that you use the most up-to-date application form.

What is the Maintenance Requirement for dependant applications?
Each family member of a Tier 4 (General) Student migrant who is extending their immigration permission to study at City University in London must have 2 months’ maintenance of £533 per

month, to support himself/herself. Each dependant, including each child, has to be able to show that they have this amount of money. NB This is explained in paragraphs 60 to 62 of the dependants’ Policy Guidance. Applicants who rely on this two-month funding provision should mention these paragraphs when answering questions J5 to J11 on the application form and include a copy of pg 10 of the Policy Guidance document with their application.

What financial evidence do I need for my application?
The UKBA are very specific about the financial documents they accept as proof that you meet the Maintenance Requirement. The types of documents required are the same as those for the main applicant and are listed on pg 11 of the Policy Guidance at: www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/pbs/pbsdependantspolicy.pdf NB Dependants may use bank documents in the name of their spouse (or parent if they are child dependants).

Can dependants rely on funding provided by an official financial sponsor?
No. There is no provision for this in the Immigration Rules or in the dependants’ policy guidance, even if the main student applicant is supported by an official financial sponsor. However, acceptable evidence of finances includes accounts in the name of the main student applicant.

Where can I get further information?
If you have any questions that are not answered by this guidance note or you are not clear about any of the information, you can get assistance from the following places:

International Student Advisers:
Lizzie Huckle, Alexia Ball and Alan Gelfer International Student Advisers, The Student Centre Telephone: 020 7040 3262 Email: internationaladvice@city.ac.uk

UKCISA: The Council for International Student Affairs:
www.ukcisa.org.uk/ Student advice line telephone: 020 7107 9922 (Monday to Friday, 1 - 4pm).

UK Border Agency website (full details of the scheme, application form, documents required):

Shared By: