Docstoc

1 SCSU Graduate Council February 1_ 2010 Minutes Present

Document Sample
1 SCSU Graduate Council February 1_ 2010 Minutes Present Powered By Docstoc
					                                  SCSU Graduate Council
                                     February 1, 2010

                                          Minutes
Present
Councilors: Arts and Sciences —John Critzer, Nicole Fluhr, Scott Graves, Andrew Karatjas,
Jessica Kenty-Drane, Jane McGinn, Dina Moore, Jessie Whitehead Business — Wafeek
Abdelsayed, James Thorson SCILS —Gayle Bogel, Elsie Okobi, Hrvoje Podnar, Education—
Bob Axtell, William Diffley, Suzanne Duke, Margaret Generali, Adam Goldberg, Mary Jo
Kramer, George Olshin, Lara Smetana, David Squires, Maravene Taylor-Roscow HHS—
Suzanne Carroll, Glenda DeJarnette, Deborah Flynn, Esther Howe, Antonia Nelson, Mary Purdy,
Barbara Worden

Guests/Observers: Dean Sandra Holley, Lisa Galvin, Cesarina Thompson, Provost Selase
Williams, Ken Florey, Patricia DeBarbieri, Nancy Bobrek

   1. Call to Order
      Chairperson Jane McGinn called the meeting to order at 1:06 pm.

   2. Disposition of Minutes from December 7, 2009 Graduate Council Meeting.
      The minutes of December 7, 2009 were passed unanimously.

   3. Announcements


       a. Office of the Dean of Graduate Studies                 Dean Sandra Holley

       Dean Holley welcomed and introduced the leadership of the Graduate Students Affairs
       Committee (GSAC): Chairperson Kurt Sollanek from Exercise Science and Vice
       Chairperson Brian Mason from the MBA program. Dean Holley recently met with the
       GSAC leadership to discuss their agenda for the semester.

       Kurt Sollanek discussed some of the upcoming events that GSAC will sponsor including
       an informational session by hosted by Dr. Misty Ginicola on “How to Apply to Graduate
       School” and another activity with Career Services to help graduate students after they
       have graduated.

       Mr. Sollanek announced that the first Thursday in May will be the Graduate Research
       Symposium which is an open forum for Graduate Research Fellows to report on their
       research.

       Mr. Sollanek also announced that GSAC has funds available for various graduate student
       activities including conference attendance, research and guest speakers. GSAC can also
       help to fund research projects on a case-by-case basis. Mr. Sollanek suggested that
       interested students look at the Graduate School website or email him
       (sollanekk1@southernct.edu) for more information.




                                               1
Dean Holley announced that the graduate enrollment statistics as presented by the Office
of Management and Institutional Research today showed full-time graduate enrollment
increased .9% from last spring. We have a total of 965 full-time graduate students for this
spring compared to 956 at the same time last year.

Dean Holley also explained that the part-time enrollment continues to decline. We are
down in part-time enrollment by -4.6% with a total of 2,155 part-time graduate students
for the Spring semester 2010. This decline in part-time enrollment has been a steady
trend since 2003 and is happening nationally as well as at Southern.

Dean Holley noted that it is imperative that we remain cognizant of our numbers and give
attention to graduate enrollment management. Graduate enrollment happens in many
stages, from recruitment onward, and depends in large part on faculty. Faculty
advisement is a very important part of enrollment.

Following a review of Fall semester 2009 grades, students were placed on academic
probation and students were dismissed from their graduate programs by the Graduate
School Office. Assistant Dean Lisa Galvin handles the probation and dismissal processes
and explained the process to the Graduate Council. She runs a report after grades are
posted and anyone who falls below a 3.0 overall GPA is placed on probation. Students
are given 9 credits to bring up their GPA before they are dismissed. Assistant Dean
Galvin will email the student’s advisor before doing any dismissals.

Dean Holley recommended that all academic departments that have graduate programs
establish a committee to review the academic performance of their graduate students on a
semester basis, place them on probation, dismiss the student if appropriate, and copy the
Graduate School office on all actions taken.



Assistant Dean Galvin also discussed the web chat that she hosts on Thursdays from 2-3.
An announcement appears on the Graduate School website inviting students who have
questions to participate in a regularly scheduled web chat. She reports that there has been
a very good turnout each week. Students can also interact with each other during these
chats as well. Although web chat is for anyone, she finds that most participants are in the
application stage.

Dr. Cesarina Thompson reported on the status of the Graduate catalog. She just received
the catalog from the copy editor with changes from the departments. The catalog is
currently ahead of schedule compared to last year. Dr. Thompson would like to have
Graduate Program Coordinators review the catalog either this Thursday (February 4)
from 1-4 PM or Friday (February 5) from 9-12. An email reminder will be sent to all
Graduate Program Coordinators.

The Ad Hoc Special Project Committee will be reconvened this spring to prepare the
Special Project Guidelines that will address the operational mechanisms for the review




                                         2
and evaluation of the special project. Dean Holley would like to have the guidelines
ready for April for approval in May.

The SCSU Thesis Guidelines have been revised and an email has been sent to all
graduate program chairs and coordinators. The revised guidelines are on the Graduate
School website. Dean Holley would like to thank Dr. Thompson, Dr. Sandra Bulmer
(PCH) and Dr. Gerry Lesley (CHE) for their input.

Dean Holley reported that the academic Deans Council held a retreat during the winter
break and considerable time was spent discussing how we will meet the challenges
resultant from our current economic issues. Clearly we must examine and modify the way
that we conduct business. We must look at enrollment, meeting the needs of students,
sequencing of courses, alternative models of curriculum delivery, interdisciplinary
collaborations, and best practices. Other topics included: institutes, global education, and
community diversity.

Dean Holley announced that the Graduate School will host its Open House on Thursday
April 22nd. She noted that as always they rely upon the active participation of the
representative(s) from each graduate program. She looks forward to a successful event.

b. Office of the Provost                                     Dr. Selase W. Williams

Provost Williams discussed the university’s budget concerns. He explained that the
budget going into next year will remain fairly flat from this year. The deferred salary
increases we would have received are being passed on to next year and the university will
have to pick up this cost. Another concern is that due to paycheck scheduling the
university will have to cover an extra full week of paychecks next year with no additional
resources to cover this extra week. There are no mandated cuts currently; however there
will have to be a budget reduction because of these two reasons.

The provost also explained that Governor Rell was not allowed make reductions in the
budget this year because the state received stimulus money from President Obama that
prevented cuts to education. Next year will be the last year of these stimulus funds, so
Provost Williams anticipates that the governor will take this time to pass along budget
cuts to education. The provost hopes that President Obama will see the need to extend the
stimulus money, but cautions that we have to plan for the worst. The administration is
currently examining plans for the university if the budget reduction ranges anywhere
from 5% to as high as 20%.

Provost Williams noted that 40% of the university’s budget comes from state
appropriations, and if we had to cut this, it would make things very difficult. Even if this
reduction was only 5%. positions that have not been filled would have to be frozen. A 10-
15% reduction would mean major reorganization of the University including exploration
of alternative delivery systems and elimination and/or consolidation of programs. Provost
Williams announced that there will be a Town Hall meeting to discuss the budget
numbers soon.




                                         3
   Provost Williams was asked what some of the scenarios might be for extreme budget cuts.
   The provost gave several suggestions including an increase in the size of large lectures
   and an increase in the number and enrollment cap of online courses.

   The Provost also discussed the reorganization of School of Communication, Information,
   and Library Sciences. He is currently in discussions will all 4 affected departments
   regarding where they would like to be housed. The provost hopes to have an
   announcement about this within the next month.

   Provost Williams reported on the Higher Education Act and the implications for the
   university. The act contains textbook cost containment measures that will go into effect
   on July 1, 2010. These cost containment measures will require that faculty give students
   the ISBN for all texts used in class. The administration is working with Barnes and Noble
   so that they will post the ISBN online. The ISBN will allow students to search for the text
   book elsewhere and potentially reduce text book costs. Provost Williams encouraged the
   faculty to get textbook information to the bookstore as early as possible. The Higher
   Education Act will require that students have access to the ISBN number at the time of
   course registration.

  Provost Williams is currently working with Patricia Zibluk in SPAR to apply for a grant
  for Title III money from the federal government. This funding opportunity is dedicated to
  enhance educational opportunities for diverse student populations and could result in
  funding up to 5 million dollars over 5 years. Although Southern currently doesn’t qualify
  because we don’t have 25% or more diversity on campus, Provost Williams feels that we
  can demonstrate that we support minority students on campus. Part of the strategic plan
  was to enhance and increase diversity on campus. These efforts will position the
  university well to qualify for a Title III grant. They will send in a grant application this
  year, and even if it is not awarded, they hope for feedback from reviewers to aid another
  proposal submission next year.

4. Standing Committees


   a. Academic Standards (ASC)                                             Dr. James Thorson

   Dr. Thorson announced that the report from Counseling and School Psychology (CSP) is
   available from committee members. He noted that the committee will be meeting next
   Monday from 1-3 PM in EN C 020 which will be their meeting room for the spring
   semester.

   Dr. Patricia DeBarbieri from CSP requested that the Graduate Council consider
   reviewing the 5-year proposal process in a future meeting. She suggested that to
   streamline the process Council might consider online submissions of the report or on CD
   as a way to save paper and copying costs. Dr. DeBarbieri also asked the Council to
   consider whether programs that have recently been accredited, such as CSP, be able to
   submit the accreditation report while adding in sections that are particular to the Graduate




                                            4
Council review process. Dr. DeBarbieri’s request was seconded by another Council
member.

Dr. McGinn suggested that we discuss this proposal as new business at a future meeting.
Dr. McGinn noted that the Graduate Council does have strict guidelines from NEASC
that govern the nature of the 5 year review process.

Dr. Worden noted that the Social Work program is currently being reaccredited
nationally and then coming up for review with the Graduate Council as well. She
suggested that the ASC could consider two types of review, one for programs that have
national accreditation already and another for programs that do not have outside
accreditation.

Dr. Thorson announced that report from the MBA Business program has been postponed
to the March meeting. Thus, the March meeting will have two reports one from Business
and one from Counseling and School Psychology.

b. Curriculum Committee                                               Dr. Glenda DeJarnette

Dr. DeJarnette extended her appreciation to her colleagues on the Curriculum Committee
for all of their hard work. She also noted that they will extend the meeting time of the
committee with meetings beginning at 11:15 on the first Monday of the month.

Dr. DeJarnette reported that on 1/29/10 she spoke with Dr. Dwight Smith, Chair of
Biology, who indicated that there is no one to assume the course offerings formerly
taught by Dr. Carlos Ramirez, and it is unclear, given the current state of affairs, that the
courses will be offered in the near future. Thus the Curriculum Committee moved to
Table Indefinitely BIO 507 “Ethnobotany” and BIO 514 "Urban Botany" as the
Department of Biology has indicated that the course proposals can not be revised nor the
courses assumed by existing faculty. Dr. Ramirez’s untimely death has left a void of
expertise in this developing area of study at this time. The Graduate Council voted to
approve that BIO 507 and BIO 512 be Tabled Indefinitely. The vote was unanimous.

The Curriculum Committee Tabled the MBA Minor Revision proposal noting that while
the 9 credit requirement appears to be within the bounds of a “Non-substantive change”
for a revised program (< 12 credit hours) the proposal format is not in compliance with
Department of Higher Education (DHE) guidelines. Moreover, the proposal suggests that
there would be degree specifications for the various MBA specializations; such official
designation means degree title change and best fits with a “Program Modification” which
would also require DHE oversight. The Graduate Council voted to approve that the MBA
Minor Revision proposal be tabled because it is an incorrect type of proposal for the
content presented. The vote was unanimous

The Graduate Council moved to Approve with Minor Revisions the following course
proposals: SED 611 “Inclusion Strategies for Students with Developmental Disabilities”




                                          5
and CMD 656 “Literacy in the Practice of Speech Language Pathology”. The vote was
unanimous for both course proposals.

c. Procedures Committee:                                                 Dr. David Squires

Four departmental selections for Graduate Faculty status were submitted by their
graduate department: Dr. Christine Broadbridge (Physics), Dr. Karen Cummings
(Physics), Dr. Elliot Horch (Physics), and Dr. Matthew Enjalran (Physics). The
Procedures Committee supports these applications to the Graduate Faculty.

d. Old Business
None.

e. New Business
The Graduate Council welcomed Dr. Wendy Chang, Chief Information Officer to discuss
several changes and upgrades that will affect the university.

Dr. Chang announced that the Banner upgrade is scheduled to start on February 11 and
that Banner will be shut down over President’s Weekend. She hopes that Banner will be
up by the 17th. Dr. Chang explained that Banner 8 is very similar to Banner 7 from a user
interface perspective so users of Banner should still see that things look similar.

Dr. Chang also explained that as of February 17 there will be a sync of MYSCSU and
windows accounts so that each person will only have one account and password. IT will
also roll out a self-service password reset tool and Dr. Chang expects that this will reduce
the number of calls to the Help Desk that are password related.

A Council member asked Dr. Chang why it is always necessary to submit a work order
when calling the Help Desk, and whether some questions might just be answered quickly.
Dr. Chang explained that student workers, who answer the Help Desk calls, are not
necessarily technically savvy and have to pass the request along to qualified staff. Dr.
Chang is working to change this so that Help Desk staff can answer some basic questions.
IT has made some progress in this area by working on formal training programs for Help
Desk workers and additional tools so that IT staff don’t have to be physically present to
repair machines.

Dr. Chang also explained that another big project that IT is working on is to switch
student email to a new program. This program will provide students with email, online
storage, and an opportunity to interact online. Students will have a much larger storage
capacity then they currently have. It is possible that adjunct faculty could move to this
system as well, but this move would not happen until Fall 2010. Full-time faculty will not
be moved to this program due to confidentiality issues. They still want full-time faculty
email to be hosted by the university. IT is also working to provide full-time faculty with a
larger storage capacity on Exchange and on the network drive as well.




                                         6
       Dr. Chang discussed plans to control student printing on campus. Beginning on July 1
       they want to start charging students to print for both black and white as well as color
       printing (currently students are only charged for color printing). Dr. Chang explained that
       many of the computer labs on campus are very crowded, and she feels that some of this is
       due to students using these labs to print. If the university begins to charge for student
       printing, Dr. Chang believes that there will be a drop in lab use. IT is also working on
       mobile printing so that students could log in to the server and then print to the closest
       printer. Dr. Chang would like to see more students using their own personal computers
       and to reduce the numbers of computers that are in labs. She estimates that the cost of
       black and white printing will be around 5 cents per page consistent with what other
       universities charge.

       A suggestion was made from a Council member who teaches writing intensive courses to
       try to reduce the number of pages that students are required to print. Students can submit
       papers online and faculty can grade and make comments to these papers without printing
       at all.

       Dr. Chang responded to a question regarding Windows 7 upgrades. She explained that
       Windows 7 upgrades will start as soon as new machines are given. If a particular faculty
       member requests an upgrade, IT will provide it if necessary. Upgrades for Mac users will
       be handled in the same way.

       Dr. Chang also addressed questions and concerns regarding Sonic Wall, the spam filter
       for the university. Sonic Wall has not been working well for the last month. Dr. Chang
       has been working with representatives from Sonic Wall and they have not been able to
       fix these problems. IT has plans to migrate to a different spam filter service in May to
       align with the student migration to the new email service. Dr. Chang reported that Sonic
       Wall is currently functioning.

       Dr. Chang also responded to several questions regarding problems in high tech
       classrooms. Although there are staff available to help with problems in these rooms, a lot
       of the equipment in these rooms is old and outdated and there is not always enough staff
       available to handle all problems.

       Dr. DeBarbieri extended her appreciation to Dr. Chang for all the work that she has done
       and for being so approachable. Dr. McGinn also extended her appreciation to Dr. Chang
       for speaking with the Graduate Council.

The meeting was adjourned at 2:45 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Dina Moore
Secretary




                                                7

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:7
posted:8/5/2011
language:English
pages:7