Docstoc

th Minutes Oleville

Document Sample
th Minutes Oleville Powered By Docstoc
					                                        Senate Minutes
                                     6:30 PM – 5 April 2011
                                         Sun Ballroom


Meeting

    I.      Call to Order

    II.     Roll Call

    III.    Approval of Minutes

    IV.     Special Order

             A. President Anderson
Anderson: First off, thanks for having me here…man, I need one of those gavel things, that’s
nice…Well, I thought I’d spend 5 or 10 minutes on an update, stuff we’re thinking about and
then I’ll take questions. In general, we’re thinking about 2 things: graduating the 2011ers and
recruiting students for 2015. For the class of 2015, we had the largest number of applicants, so
in total about 4,100 students will come next year. On paper, they are the most highly qualified
to enter, except yours of course. The thing that is most interesting is that it’s a broadly
national group. We have the most students coming from Minnesota, obviously, then Illinois.
Chicago is our China, the emerging market. We have students from all over: CA, WA, OR, CO,
MA, St. Louis, etc. We are still even between men and women. This year’s class was actually
50/50; I think the incoming class is something like 49/51. The number of first generation
individuals in a family to go to college is 15%, healthy and steady. 18% who applied are of color,
another good healthy number. These all will come down a little once everyone finally decides.
A third of the class is legacy in some way. As you may remember, May 1st is the day you need to
decide by. We’re not sure how many are coming or who exactly right now. We hope it’s not
more that 775. We had a meeting about housing recently; we’re been accepting more students
than we can really house in the past few years, so there really isn’t a lot of room. Kitt will
definitely be tripled again. The rest will go to Dean Kneser’s basement or his garage-mahal. I
don’t know if it’s ever been this difficult. The best thing about this class is that they all want
to come to St. Olaf. We’re their first choice. When you think of admissions, we try to keep in
mind a couple of things: 1, the quality/characteristics/gender balance/diversity of the class
and 2, what the net tuition revenue that they bring in. 70% of our budget is from tuition.
Admission keeps an eye on this. Moving on to the class of 2011, congratulations—you’re going
to be graduating with an excellent degree from an esteem liberal arts college into a difficult
job market. I’m focused on helping you succeed, be that grad school, a job or career path, or
otherwise. We’re thinking of you who are graduating in 6 weeks, but also the juniors and
sophomores. Last weekend, the school put on the Quo Vadis program for 75 sophomores, which
was a retreat to start thinking about questions like where are you going and what are you going
to do, what are you good at, how can you use that, etc. One student came in and told me it
changed her life, so apparently it was a really good thing. We’re also pushing the career
volunteer program, which allows parents and alum to volunteer to connect with students to
help and coach you into your field of interest. 1000 signed up to volunteer, and we have 500
interested students. Next week, 80 lawyers in Minneapolis, all Oles, will be in one room with
                                                                                                2


those students interested in prelaw. This is our larger attempt to help student figure out what
they want to do and how to do it; this is all contained within the Main Street Project. We’re
working on some really cool ideas, like, going into the 3 cities where most Oles go: Minneapolis,
Chicago, and Washington DC. If these are centers of gravity, we could hold an event in August
about speed networking, finding apartments, etc. There is a whole set of things we could do
to help. Some other major transformations we’re going through right now are: 1, Jim May, our
current Provost, has been here his whole career, is stepping down—he’ll be going back to
teaching Latin. So, we’re looking for that. It’s been a hard job, just ask Kim. We had about 50
applicants, we’re down to 4; 3 have been here, and the last one comes tomorrow. Hopefully
by the mid of next week we’ll know who we went for sure. 3 of the 4 are from outside college.
They’d come in with fresh eyes. One is a current faculty member, so they’d know the place
and could hit the ground running. There are benefits and negatives to all, but hopefully soon
it’d be figured out. Also, Pastor Bruce Benson is retiring after 30 years of serving the college.
We have a call committee for that—right now we’re discussing whether or not it would be good
to get an interim pastor for a year to allow the space to clear. He’s been here so long, that
could be a good thing. This summer we will be spending about 1.5 million on Ellingson…we’ll be
turning it into a casino…it’ll look like a steamboat. Just kidding, but really, we’re getting the
windows out, the ceiling tiles are going, the floor tiles are out, and we’ll be painting
everything. Hopefully this will make it more energy efficient, more attractive and more
weather tight. Old Main is empty right now, will remain so through the fall—we’re going to
work on the air conditioning. We had planned to run it from Regents to Old Main, but that was
more difficult than we planned. Eventually the religion department will go there. We haven’t
figured out what to do with Steensland yet. Old Admin is being torn up as we speak. It’s
amazing—its one giant room right now; it will be reconfigured into practice rooms and studios
for music students. The part that was admin will become an alum center. Also over the
summer, we’re going to be looking at the drive up the Hill coming up from 19, by Hill Kitt,
Hoyme and Larson. We’re thinking about putting in a roundabout there. Very British, very cool.
We’d add it new signage, and fix the road behind Larson that look terrible. The parking lot by
the theater building, the part that goes into the campus green, will be gone, but once the Mods
go, these spots will come back. That’s pretty much the update. We’ll be meeting the budget
this year—we’re on track to be in the black. Advancement is raising about 22 million; a lot of
it is planned gifts, but we’ll see it someday. The 50th reunion class, the class of ’61, has a goal
of 10 million. Their class gift includes an endowment for a scholarship. This is the first year
that commencement and the reunion weekends are not the same. For the reunions, we’re
hoping to have events downtown Northfield. We’d really like to have people on campus, so
maybe encouraging dinner downtown. Any questions?
Spitzfaden: who is on the pastoral call committee?
Anderson: I don’t know all of them, but Paula Carlson, Greg Walter, Tim Schroer
Spitzfaden: any students?
Anderson: I think there is 4? From Student Congregation
Spitzfaden: this is the Tomson Hall Thank You video, by the way
Anderson: good, this is hilarious; a bunch of people came and said thanks to the Tomson on the
night of the Gala. It’s terrific. I’ll give it to them. Thanks
Rakke: in terms of environmental issues, do you know anything about the campus and carbon
neutrality?
Anderson: Replacing the Ellingson windows is a big step. We should really be doing this for all
the windows—it’s a big thing to do. A good chunk of the 1.5 million going into this is for
sustainable reason. We have been approached with the idea of a second windmill. I’m a little
skeptical right now—it sounds too good to be true, but it’d be swell. We’ve been talking about
claiming carbon neutrality, and we could make it happen if we’d be willing to buy wind energy,
which is more expensive than ours now. Do we want to spend another 80000 just to be able to
say we’re Carbon Neutral? That could be someone’s financial aid, so that’s the conversation.
Tomson is an interesting building. The Old Science center was actually never insulated, so by
revamping it, our net power usage actually went down.
SIckbert: has there been any decision made on the basement of Boe?



5 April 2011
                                                                                               3


Anderson: no, but when religion goes to Old Main we’ll figure it out…the group working on it,
which is the Committee of the Wise and the Good suggested a place for an interfaith center. I
think the whole place is sacred, so I think this would be a great thing. I think the focus should
be students. Many are not Lutheran but it’d be open for people of all faiths, it’d be a great
place to worship. Not every religious group would be willing to be there, but maybe more
likely. The problem with the basement is that it looks like a church basement, even if you
remodel. A great idea someone had was take the west side and say you put an amphitheater
there, excavate down to the lower level and make it glass…that’s just an idea, but that’d be
cool. We don’t have to make the decision just yet and it’d cost about 1 million, especially
with remodeling. We’ll wait until we have to decide
Bishop: Now that Tomson has been lived in, do you see any adjustments that need to be made?
Anderson: no…but I saw this cautiously…I don’t know if we’ve been in there long enough. The
amount of people going into the CEL has increased by like 100% in the month. That’s excellent.
Admissions being there is another good thing. And for you, all the people who can help are in
one place—the Dean of Students, Registrar, Financail Aid, ResLife, etc—having everyone in one
place was a good idea. The atrium is cool, good place for receptions or whatever. And the
classrooms seem to be working. We still haven’t landscaped yet. We’re dedicating it the first
weekend in May, so hopefully we can get that done before that.
Arbieter: what is happening with the Mod village?
Anderson: I don’t actually know right now. They’ll probably leave this summer or summer/fall.
We have a lease on them right now, so it doesn’t make sense to give them back if we’re paying
for them.
Alveshere: I went on Quo Vadis, and it was great. With the Main Street Program, I feel like the
sense is that students don’t really know what it is. We’ve been getting these emails, and we
look at it, but ignore it. Have you thought about changing the approach? And could you explain
a little more about it?
Anderson: you’re suppose to be used to reading a lot!…no, I get it. The fundamental goal is to
pay more attention to students after they graduate and to help them succeed in whatever they
want to do. We say we’re focused on knowledge for its own sake, so there is a certain amount
of tension bringing focus to this area. The people who are thinking about the Main Street
Program have been overly cautious about proceeding in a deliberate manner, towards a goal of
reassuring faculty that we’re not going to become a vocational school. The lengthy document
you received was the result. They’ll be finishing in the next month or so, and then I’ll look over
and try to produce a briefer account. Essentially, they have 4 pages of suggestions. They are
suggesting things that cost nothing to some that are quite expensive. These are changes and
new things we could be doing to increase the likelihood that you’ll do something you want to
do/love to do. For example, how many have had someone come up to you and say “you’re
going to graduate, so how will your major help you?” Not many. We need a way to talk about
this. I was an English major here when the job market was worse than what it is now. I was a
prof, but other than doing that, what would be the next step? Yesterday I was in Chicago
meeting with an Olaf grad working high up in a national bank. He was a music major. How do
we help someone do that? That is what Main Street is about.
Tohlen: Thinking of Ellingson, is that the first dorm that’s remodeled or do you have plans to
work on all the dorms?
Anderson: well, Kildahl is perfect, so that’s staying. Just kidding…Most of the res halls are old.
Almost all are designed in an old fashioned way: straight corridors of mostly double rooms with
bathrooms at the end of each hall. They’re charming, but have not really been updated
significantly since they were built. We have to do one of 2 things, or both. 1, we need to do
to all what we’re doing to Ell; and/or 2, going back to Kihldal, we could work on remodeling
and reconfiguring—we could turn it into all singles, suite dorm; or we build one more dorm. All
the bathrooms in Melby got modernized recently—but it took 3 years because you can only do
one chunk per summer. I’ll be retired and living in Boca before we get through all the dorms
at this pace. If we could take one off line and work on it, that’d be much more efficent. I
don’t think this’ll happen anytime soon, but we’ll push it. One thing you have to love about St.
Olaf students and their parents is that they never say they dorms aren’t fancy enough, but you



5 April 2011
                                                                                                 4


reach a point where the dorms need attention
Tohlen: but Ell will be finished this summer?
Anderson: yep, assuming a big crew, starting early and ending late.
Wattenberg: I have heard from my constituency that there have been some problems with the
financial aid office, like unconstructive conversations…any comments?
Anderson: Let me say two things. 1, we have had and still have a commitment to meeting the
demonstrated need of every student. We were just singled out as an exemplary need based aid
program. It’s expensive, but we’ll keep it. 2, we use the base line from the FASFA. Whatever
the number says is your need, that’s your package. The percentage that is loan is what is
difficult right now. It is the job of people in financial aid to help you. It would be good to
know the details if this if not happening.
Wattenberg: they seemed more prone to pointing students online rather than helping
Anderson: Cathy Ruby is very nice and highly skill and knowledgeable—arrange to sit down with
me sometime and talk it out. It’s our goal to be helpful.
Peterson: I’m the ADC elect; do you have any thoughts on the new branch?
Anderson: I think this is a brilliant idea. I’m a fan. If students are going to be up, and they are,
and looking for something to do, and they are, we should play a role. It remains to be seen
what you figure out and how you match what students want. Students pretty much stay here.
So it’s important that the activities are important and meaningful. This was a good example of
meaningful/important decisions coming from this body.
Mork: Do you have any thoughts on the federal loan situation?
Anderson: we’re waiting to see what is taken away right now. 30 million flows through our
budget from federal student loans. If Pell Grants, main source of federal funding, are cut, that
will be a bad thing. 5 million would be the cost to us. We get about 2 million from the
Minnesota state grant, which works the same way. The good news is, in Minnesota, there is a 6
million budget short fall coming up, but the state grant program is protected. We’re going to
wait and see what happens. If it gets cut, which is very probable, our intention is to make it up
with institutional aid. I mean, we don’t have 30 million to cover it, but our approach is to
meet the aid best we can
Mork: would that come out of the college budget?
Anderson: if you’re a college and you give a student a grant, you pay for it in some cases with
an endowment, which is like an investment earning money every year. Most institutions don’t
have an endowment fund equal to their financial aid. They don’t actually collect the tuition—
it’s like a discount program. If the tuition is 30000 and you get a 10000 grant, we get 20000
from you and the 10000 is pretty much written off. If the discount rate is too much, you could
enroll an entire class and go bankrupt after 4 yrs. One of my goals is to significantly increase
the security of this fund in the coming years
Wattenberg: what is the international make up of the class of 2015?
Anderson: I don’t exactly because international students enroll late; there are Visa issues and it
takes financial aid longer to be organized. But I’m doing say that there are quite a few.
Bunches, if you will. And they look terrific. I think last year it was about 30, and I’m guessing
it’ll be at least this, maybe more.
Gueringer: can you speak to the drinking culture on campus?
Anderson: I think the college’s aspiration for a dry campus is the right thing to do, even if it’s
annoying and irritating to many people. For you all, this is 4 years that are set apart from any
other time in your life. You don’t have to worry about housing, food, a job, etc. It’s really a
time to focus on growing. What you don’t want is distractions. Other peoples drinking
shouldn’t be an obstacle to your learning. Three things come of it: violence, vandalism and
vomit. You shouldn’t have to worry about these things. To the extent that our policy
minimizes these things, it’s a good policy. The challenge is that we will never be a college that
completely eradicates alcohol. That’d be unrealistic; it’d be like the TSA everyday. We
essentially agree to live with a certain amount of alcohol on campus because otherwise it
would ruin the community. Some say this is open to hypocrisy, I call it being realistic. When I
think of the college campus that I know well, the use of alcohol here is reasonably moderate. I
read the reports, I know the data. It’s appalling, but nevertheless, you don’t walk out on



5 April 2011
                                                                                                 5


Sunday morning and see every trash cans filled with bottles and tons of people doing the walk
of shame. I guess my view is that students are going to come here: some won’t drink at all,
some are going to have an occasional beer—I’m not going to chase them down. I may have
done that as a student…and there are some students who are performing at an academic level
way below their potential, who are making horrible personal choices and who are screwing it
up for everyone else—these are the people we need to meet head on.
Arbeiter: you mentioned increasing the endowment as one of your goals. What are your other
main goals?
Anderson: 1, I’d like to make sure we’re doing everything to maintain the academic quality of
the experience. We’re a college. It’s what we do. 2, I don’t want the college to ever lose
what ever that thing is that draws Oles together and binds them: Friday flowers. Great worship
participation. Whatever it is, we should help to nourish and enhance that bond. 3, I would
really like to be financially invulnerable; that’s probably not going to happen, but I’d like that.
4, When students leave, I want them and whoever paid for them to think it was a great
investment. I want them to be prepared and personally fulfilled. That’s what matters.
Thanks for being a senator—when you leave here, you won’t be a load in whatever you do,
you’ll be prepared to be a helpful part of anything you do. This is a good thing and a good
thing for the college.

    V.        New Business
              A. ADC Policy Manual – After Dark Development Sub-Committee
Fay: This is going to be included the ADC section in the Policy Manual. The attendance
guideline is a lot like other branches. We included a section on bystander training, especially to
deal with alcohol issues. We also included something on van training, because right now it’s a
problem in branches, so we felt this would solve it. And last, in terms of events, this is a way
to make sure they’re doing them and following up.
Bishop: move to amend: A 1, jazz it up a little, obtain rather than get
Second
Fox: move to strike, attempt to
Second
Alveshere: move to PQ
         Second
         Vote
         Passes
Meyer: move to PQ
         Second
         Vote
         Passes
Fox: In reference to bystander intervention, will this be perment enough? Is that a universal
term or something that is going to be outdated in 5 years?
Fay: we were referring to the training from the Wellness Center, but if it does change…we can
work with that in the future
Peterson: we could change it to lower case, so it’s not as specific
Kneser: it is an industry term, so there is always the possibility it may not be in use in 5
years…you could say lower case and add “its equivalent”
Bishop: move to amend, 2 A, add (or its equivalent)
Second
Fox: should we include the intent of what we’re trying to do? Add that you must complete the
training in order to be prepared?
Keyes: Doing that opens it up to leeway—setting the bar too low doesn’t allow for much
Alveshere: feel that the Policy Manual is a weird beast; its guidelines, suggestions. I think its
fine. It’s pretty easy to change it later if needed.
Fay: I think that the Policy Manual is not as permanent as the bylaws. The fact that it exists,
the idea behind it is valid for the next 5 yrs makes this a stricter standard.
Fox: move to PQ



5 April 2011
                                                                                               6


Second
Vote
Passes
Hubbard: who would be filling out the programming reports?
Peterson: presumably the host of events.
Fay: this is a standard practice for all branches, it just doesn’t happen. We felt like we needed
it.
Rakke: move to PQ
Second
Vote
Passes

     VI.      Reports and Announcements
Admin: Provost stuff is consuming my life. They are on campus and I’m meeting with those
candidates; they have a chance to meet the people they would be dealing with and have a
meeting with a group of students. Every person who meets with the person fill outs an
evaluation
DCC: Asia Weeks began this week, with the opening in Crossroads yesterday. On Thursday there
will be a Hmong needle workshop in Buntrock at 1130. There will be a yoga event in Dittmann
and on Friday there will be a Bollywood dance workshop followed by a DJ dance in the Pause.
On April 14 at 7pm we have Arts for Social Change—if you know anyone with artwork they want
to show, let me know
Wattenberg: For the Provost, can you tell us who the faculty member is?
Spitzfaden: Nope
Riley: And the Harabee conference is this Saturday; an email should have been sent out about
signing up
Pause: The black lights are installed; they’re super cool. But we’re decided they will not be
unveiled until the Highlighter dance. We’re doing some work with the techs on the Mane Stage.
Kitchen wise—Maui Wowi pizza
Fox: chicken, pineapple, onions, barbque sauce
Riley: it’s good
Bishop: And the Birthday Cake shake. Everyone I know who has had it has said it’s the best
Fox: it Funfetti mix in vanilla ice cream
Freeman: when is the Highlighter dance?
Bishop: May 13th. It’ll be worth it.
SAC: Amy Anderson, a comedian, will be here this Saturday and we’re planning a campus wide
Easter egg hunt for the Thursday before break
Web: On Oleville, Caf Creations is up; there was a glitch, but it’s good now. I’ll talk to Randy
and see if we can’t put something up outside the caf. Otherwise I want to add something for
your own recipes too
BORSC: We sent out a survey about technology recently. Last week we were tabling for video
responses because the report is all in video form. We’re working on editing it now
Hill Kitt: we had our all night techno dance. It was not a great turn out, but it was fun
SAA: For National Day of Service, registration closes on Monday, sign up!
MEC: Last Saturday was the charity rave in the Burrow; there were about 120 people and we
raised 3-400 dollars for Rural Enterprise. Tonight we have a metal band in the Pause. Thursday
we’re having a pep rally for Spring Concert; we spent a lot of time cutting out Rs and As, so
Nathan, the SORC needs more construction paper. Saturday we’re sponsoring Quidditch on
Melby lawn, followed by a Harry Potter rave
Larson: we have the Highlighter dance, the Friday after Easter, April 29th
Faculty Governance: the first round of elections is happening this Thursday, with the second
round sometime in May. We’re also working on a questionnaire for department chairs and long-
term non-tenure track faculty.
Environmental: Scott Head ’90 is coming to speak this week—founder of Sportsmen’s Alliance of
Alaska; he’ll be discussing environmental stewardship and salmon fishing; there will be a movie



5 April 2011
                                                                                                7


in Holland 501 and a talk about it at 345 in Buntrock 146. Tomorrow at Carleton there will be a
meeting with city council about transit around Northfield.
Ellingson: we just got some new practice rooms
Honor House: Facilities just order materials for composting bins
Mebyl: we just got a new TV for the lounge, and we’re still working on tees
PAC: Day at the Capitol is on Thursday, where we’ll be talking about some of the same
financial aid issues that we talked about tonight. And like Kyla mentioned, Arts for Social
Change is going on next week. And our Spring Speaker is Dan Rather
SOC: We funded Ballroom, Cross Fit and Oles to Action. We have money left, so we’re looking
for people who want funding
IHC: On Sunday, from 12-2, the finalist from the Sweet Room showcase will be on display,
hopefully there will be media going up. We’re judging and encouraging you all to see different
rooms.
Rand: We selected a room for that, and we had the April event—March Madness final and prizes
VN: We’re planning our service week, the annual gift for volunteer, and the org/volunteer of
the year. We were approached by Grace Bartlett; in order to support the disaster in Japan,
she found a company who is willing to pay $2 for every crane that is made. She’s done like
1000; we’re going to fold like 300000 more. Stop by and do it
Branch Comm: Applications are going pretty well, though branch apps are looking a little sad.
Sheforgen: can you give us a description of the job?
DeFrance: I meant across all the branches. But I look over the promotions of all the branches,
and work with their officers.
Admin Comm: There was a little confusion about PR tonight, since we weren’t in the Ballroom.
Kris: Just got back from NACA in St. Paul. I gave a few presentations, visited others, and got
some ideas. Thanks to those who went. If you haven’t heard, Buntrock will be open later on
Friday and Saturday, with the exception of Easter, until 2am. For Day at the Capitol, we have 7
people, but if you sign up tonight we could still get you in. We’ve got room
Sheforgen: I sent an email to Fred Behr and Donna Hunter about parking; we had a great
parking resolution last year and it’s been kind of slow getting going. It seems as though it’s not
exactly as I expected. I asked about putting forms online—apparently you can fill them out,
print them off, but not submit them.
Kneser: the appeals shouldn’t take too long to get online; that’s not a problem. For the parking
application, you need your registration, so that’s a little different. The appeals form is just a
matter of IIT finding time
Sheforgen: One suggestion I’d like to make is to submit and pay online, but still go in to pick up
the sicker and show registration.
Kneser: SGA did a lot of great work, especially last year’s group. We’ve had something going
behind the scenes all year. We’re working on payment of tickets with Ole Dollars, though
credit cards are a different thing. This is one of the things about Tomson: having the parking
office in the basement is great for Public Safety, but it was not the greatest place for everyone
else. There have been some changes from the recommendations—getting a parking permit, do
it once a year; having a parking kiosk during high traffic times.
Sheforgen: I’ll continue with that. The one big change is moving online
Arbeiter: for ticket price…was there a change with that?
Sheforgen: the increase in ticket price was supposed to be with a decrease in parking permit
price
Kneser: I believe it happened
Sheforgen: I’ll check
Chang: to Dean Kneser, on the level in Tomson with the Dean’s office, there is a sign that
directs you right to go to the parking office; can you fix that?
Kneser: we’ll have to look into proper signage.

   VII.    Hill Hype
Chang: Tomorrow, GEAR is sponsoring with the Vagina Monologues an effort to collect data for
a men’s version of Vagina Monologue, 330 in BC 134. There will be a Vagina Carnival too.



5 April 2011
                                                                                            8


Vagina Monologues will be in the Pause. Sunday, GEAR is hosting a porn panel; it’ll be someone
from the Smitten Kitten, a sex columnist from the Mess, and Prof Chandran, 1pm in Viking.
Sickbert: Felland House is having an event on Sunday, at 6; we’re making dinner from family
recipes—first come first serve
Tohlen: PAT is having a showing of Schindler’s List in Buntrock 143.
Keyes: Saturday at Carleton, there will be a Carleton v. St. Olaf bouldering competition
Chang: I sold my car

    VIII.   Good Times…
Peterson: goodtimess…babies talkin’ politics

    IX.     Senator of the Week
Alveshere: this week going to Fox/Bishop for their commitment to this body

    X.     Adjournment
Peterson: Move to adjourn
Second
Adjourned

Post-Meeting Business

SUB-COMMITTEE MEETING




5 April 2011

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:6
posted:8/4/2011
language:English
pages:8