Florence, 4-9 September 2009
Congresso Nazionale SIAPEC - IAP
The Basilica di San Lorenzo is one of the largest churches of Florence, situated at the centre of
the city’s main market district, and the burial place of all the principal members of the Medici
family from Cosimo il Vecchio to Cosimo III. It is one of several churches that claim to be the
Monday, 7 September
oldest in Florence; when it was consecrated in 393 it stood outside the city walls. For three 20.00 hrs.
hundred years it was the city's cathedral before the o cial seat of the bishop was transferred to
Santa Reparata. San Lorenzo was also the parish church of the Medici family. In 1419, Giovanni S. Lorenzo Church
di Bicci de' Medici o ered to nance a new church to replace the eleventh-century Romane-
sque rebuilding. Filippo Brunelleschi, the leading Renaissance architect of the rst half of the
fteenth century, was commissioned to design it, but the building, with alterations, was not
completed until after his death.
The church is part of a larger monastic complex that contains other important architectural
works: the Old Sacristy by Brunelleschi; the Laurentian Library by Michelangelo; the New
Sacristy based on Michelangelo's designs; and the Medici Chapels by Matteo Nigetti. the International Doctors Philarmonia
The Medici pope Leo X, gave Michelangelo the commission to design a façade in white Carrara
marble in 1518. Michelangelo made a wooden model, which shows how he adjusted the classi- “Giuseppe Sinopoli”
cal proportions of the facade, drawn to scale, after the ideal proportions of the human body, to
the greater height of the nave. The work remained unbuilt. Michelangelo did, however, design
and build the internal facade, seen from the nave looking back toward the entrances. It
comprises three doors between two pilasters with garlands of oak and laurel and a balcony on
two Corinthian columns.
In recent years, the association of “Friends of the Elettrice Palatina” and the Comune of Floren-
ce re-visited the question of completing the outer facade according to Michelangelo's designs.
To assist with the public debate, a computerized reconstruction was projected onto the plain
brick façade in February 2007. As yet, no decision has been made on the project. The campani-
le dates from 1740.
The most celebrated and grandest part of San Lorenzo are the Cappelle Medicee (Medici
Chapels) in the apse. The Medici were still paying for it when the last member of the family,
Anna Maria Luisa de' Medici, died in 1743. Almost fty lesser members of the family are buried
in the crypt. The nal design (1603-1604) was by Bernardo Buontalenti, base on models of
Alessandro Pieroni and Matteo Nigetti. Above is the Cappella dei Principi (Chapel of the
Princes), a great but awkwardly domed octagonal hall where the grand dukes themselves are
buried. The style shows Mannerist eccentricities in its unusual shape, broken cornices, and
asymmetrically sized windows. In the interior, the ambitious decoration with colored marbles
overwhelms the attempts at novel design. At its centre was supposed to be the Holy Sepulchre
itself, although attempts to buy and then steal it from Jerusalem failed.
International Doctors Philarmonia “Giuseppe Sinopoli”
There exists an arcaic bond between Medicine and Music that goes back in time to the mith of
Apollo. This same bond unites the doctors from around the world that are present at the rst
concert of the italian-promoted International International Doctors Philarmonia “Giuseppe
Sinopoli”. The orchestra takes his name from the late Maestro and most valuable collegue of us.
The aim of the orchestra is to combine the pleasure of the music with charity.
The musicians of the orchestra are a choice of candidates with outstanding musical credentials
who frequently perform worldwide as soloists or as part of important ensembles such as the
European and the World Doctors Orchestra.
The conductor is M° Silvio Bruni who teaches at the Fermo Conservatory. He is artistical director of Italiana in Algeri, Overture
the Music School of Trasimeno and conductor of the Orchestra Giovanile e da Camera del
Trasimeno, winner in 2005 of the rst prize ‘Pro Archi’ of Nyìregyhàza (Hungary).
Members of the Orchestra
Violin: Gianfranco Zanetti, Laura Mantoan, Richard Gullan, Chiara Bondi, Ruth Ayling, Gosia Blachowiak,
Kim Caldwell, Carolyn Dyson, Karl Wilhelm Fritz, Gabriele Kuhn, Jacques Moser, Cinderella Nonoo-Cohen,
Preludio Sinfonico in A major
Maxton Pitcher, Ulrike Schatz, Paul Schatzberger, Tigran Torosian, Blaise Udriot, Cristina Vitan, Sagen
Viola: Vincent Pitteloud, Elsbieta Czechowska, Pyng-Yi Kuo, Ulf Postulka, Romanie Ruggier, Patricia W.
Samson, Sonia Tiboni, Karl Zippelius
Cello: Georg Ritter, Hannes Holm, Tiziana Balbi, Shelley Cross, Pietro Enrico, Colin Granger, Giovanni Perini
Double bass: Rodolfo Merizzi, Catherine Stack, Ulrich Kolck, Angiolo Tarocchi, Patricia Zangger
Flute: Matteo Pizzo, Vanessa Good, Anne White
Postcards from a Vanishing Land
Oboe & E/Horn: Robert Bradley, Bettina Boenisch, Diana Mary Doherty
Clarinet: Rudy Ausfeld, Peter Newman
Bassoon: Johannes Heusgen, Eva Cecilia Salmonsson
Ludwig van Beethoven
Horns: Frank Edenborough, David Oakley, Wilfried Winkelhog
Trumpet: Vito Emanuele Galante, Roberto Galassetti
Tympani and Percussions: Anna Lensebråten, William Thomson
Harp: Diana Colosi
Symphony n.1 in C major, Op. 21
PATOLOGI OLTRE FRONTIERA is a group of Italian pathologists
who decided to create a non-pro t organization of volunteers.
The aim is to improve the standard health care in the developing
countries to get better treatment of the patients by more accurate
and quick cytological and histological diagnosis.
The current projects are in Tanzania, Zambia, Madagascar,
Uganda, Palestine and Kosovo.
A desk for o ers and donations is available at the church entrance