What points are these cartoons making about Germany?
Who created these images?
Background to the crisis
• Only remaining democratic nation in eastern
• Elections due in May – communists feared they
would do badly
• Communists staged a coup d’etat, took over the
police force, other political parties removed from
• Last remaining non-communist Jan Masaryk fell
from a window…?
• President Benes was forced to resign to be
replaced by Klement Gottwald
Czechoslovakian Crisis, 1948
Spot the difference?
What does this picture tell you about
life under the Soviet Union?
Impact of the Crisis
• What did this do to relations with the west?
• How did it play on feelings of guilt?
(Hint: think 1938…)
Berlin Blockade 1948-49
1. What were the two views of Germany’s
2. Why did Stalin want to force the allies out
3. What was the response by America,
Britain and France to the blockade?
• JCS 1067
• Truman and 1947
Inevitably there were casualties. In July three
American crew were the first killed when
their C-47 transporter crashed. In all the
operation cost the lives of 65 Germans,
British and Americans.
• NATO – North Atlantic Treaty Organisation
(1949). No return to isolationism for America (11
countries signed initially)
• Stain forced to lift blockade
• Soviets test first atomic bomb in August 1949
• Creation of FDR (Federal Republic of Germany -
• Creation of GDR (German Democratic Republic