General Sherman’s March to the
March to the Sea
• Sherman’s march was the most destructive
campaign against civilians during the Civil
• Sherman’s army crossed Tennessee and
entered North Georgia.
• The march to the sea began in Atlanta on
• Sherman’s troops successfully captured
Atlanta on September 2, 1864.
• Sherman chose to reject the Union plan to
move through Alabama.
• He decided to proceed southeast toward
Savannah or Charleston.
• Confederate General John Bell Hood made
the decision to abandon Atlanta; moving the
army outside the city.
• Hood turned his army west and marched
into Alabama, abandoning Georgia to
• Because of this Sherman is able to freely
Impact on Milledgeville
Historical Marker located at the entrance to the Old Capitol building.