Angelo & Jennette Volpe Library
Tennessee Technological University
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias • Social Sciences Index. Apr. 1974-2005. (Index Area)
• The APA Dictionary of Psychology. (Ref. BF31 .A63 2007) Provides cover-to-cover indexing of 500 or more key
This first dictionary published by the American Psychological international English–language periodicals in the social sciences,
Association, represents a snapshot of the lexicon psychology as it including psychology. Currently online as Social Sciences Full
exists at the beginning of the 21st century. Approximately 25,000 Text.
entries cover psychological concepts, processes, and therapies,
• Sociological Abstracts. 1953-2003. (Index Area)
and offer basic coverage of important individuals, organizations
Abstracts and indexes the international literature in sociology and
and institutions, and psychological tests and assessment
related disciplines. Currently online as Sociological Abstracts.
• Campbell’s Psychiatric Dictionary. (Ref. RC437 .H5 2004) Magazines, Journals & Newspapers (hardcopy)
Geared to the psychiatrist and also intended for the established • The American Journal of Psychology.
practitioners who were trained in an earlier era and study the (quarterly, peer-reviewed) 1951-
scientific literature of the day in order to keep themselves up-to- Explores the basic science of the mind, publishing reports of
date. original research in experimental psychology, theoretical
• A Dictionary of Psychology. (Ref. BF31 .C65 2006) presentations, combined theoretical and experimental analyses,
Provides sensible and informative definitions of the most and historical.
important and difficult words that a reader is likely to encounter • The American Psychologist. (monthly, peer-reviewed) 1946-
in books and articles on psychology. Contains empirical, theoretical, and practical articles that advance
• The Encyclopedia of Mental Health. (Ref. RC437 .E53 1998) the field of psychology.
3 vols. • Journal of Abnormal Psychology. (quarterly, peer-reviewed)
Encompasses all levels of analysis, from the molecular and 1965-
biological, through the social and family, to the cultural. Provides articles on basic research and theory in the broad field of
• The Encyclopedia of Psychological Trauma. abnormal behavior.
(Ref. RC552 .P67 E53 2008) • Journal of Applied Psychology.
Organized alphabetically by topic, this volume presents scientific, (bi-monthly, peer-reviewed) 1943-
clinical practice guidelines, and social policies, and initiatives Focuses on research on applications of psychology in work
from experts on psychological trauma and PTSD in those fields. settings such as industry, correction systems, government, and
• International Encyclopedia of Psychiatry, Psychology, educational institutions.
Psychoanalysis & Neurology. (Ref. RC334 .I57) 12 vols. • Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology.
Covers the entire field of psychiatry, psychology, psychoanalysis, (bi-monthly, peer-reviewed) 1968-
neurology, and related disciplines. Reports the research on techniques of diagnosis and treatment in
disordered behavior as well as studies of populations of clinical
Handbooks & Manuals interest.
• DSM-IV Case Studies: A Clinical Guide to Differential
Diagnosis. (Ref. RC473 .D54 F73 1996) • The Journal of Psychology. (bi-monthly, peer-reviewed) 1935-
Focuses on the process of differential diagnosis—how to Publishes a variety of research and theoretical articles in the field
distinguish one disorder from another. of psychology, with an emphasis on articles that integrate
divergent data and theories, explore new avenues for thinking and
• Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders: DSM- research, or present outrageous criticisms of the present status of
IV-TR. (Perm. Reserve Ref. RC455.2 .C4 D536 2000) the behavioral disciplines.
Provides a classification of mental disorders for use in clinical,
educational, and research settings. • Journal of Research in Personality.
(6 issues/yr, peer-reviewed) 1979-
• Encyclopedia of Psychological Assessment. Examines issues in the field of personality and in related fields
(Ref. BF176 .E53 2003) 2 vols. basic to the understanding of personality.
A series of 234 entries, organized alphabetically, and covering a
variety of fields: theoretical, epistemological, methodological, • Psychological Bulletin. (bi-monthly, peer-reviewed) 1955-
technological, basic psychological constructs, and applied. Contains comprehensive and integrative reviews and
• Handbook of Psychiatric Measures. interpretations of critical substantive and methodological issues
(Ref. RC473 .P78 A46 2008) and practice problems from all the areas of psychology.
Offers a concise summary of key evaluations that clinicians can
• Psychological Science. (monthly, peer-reviewed) 1990-
use in daily practice to enhance the quality of patient care in terms
Provides a forum for research, theory and application in
of both diagnosis and assessment of outcomes.
psychology and the closely related behavioral, cognitive, neural,
Indexes & Abstracts (hardcopy) and social sciences.
• Psychological Abstracts. 1953-Sept. 2001. (Index Area)
A comprehensive compilation of non-evaluative summaries of the
serial and book literature in psychology and related disciplines.
Currently online as PsycINFO.
NM 09/07; rev. 01/09 Page 1 of 2
Psychology Research Guide
Online Research Databases PsycARTICLES
• Academic OneFile. Presents reports of interest to all experimental psychologists.
Contains 11,000 academic journals, including some peer- • Journal of Family Psychology. (quarterly, peer-reviewed) 1990-
reviewed, full-text articles. Journal articles cover a wide range of PsycARTICLES
subjects, including psychology and the social sciences. Delivers a variety of perspectives on the study of family systems,
• Dissertations & Theses. emphasizing empirical research on a wide range of family-related
Abstracts are included from 1980 to present. Selected titles from topics.
1997 forward are available full text. • Personnel Psychology. (quarterly, peer-reviewed) 1988-
• General OneFile ABI/INFORM Global
A one-stop mega-resource for journal and news articles—full- Contains research articles on industrial psychology, employees
text, abstracts, citations and images—from all general interest and the workplace.
areas and academic disciplines. • Psychology of Addictive Behaviors.
• Mental Measurements Yearbook (quarterly, peer-reviewed) 1993-
Contains full-text information about and reviews of English PsycARTICLES
language standardized tests covering educational skills, Covers alcoholism, drug abuse, eating disorders, smoking and
personality, vocational aptitude, psychology, and related areas. nicotine addiction, and other compulsive behaviors such as
Contains data from Yearbooks 9 through 16. gambling.
• PsycARTICLES Biographical & Critical Sources
A database of full-text articles from journals published by the • Biographical Dictionary of Psychology.
American Psychological Association, the APA Educational (Ref. BF109 .A1 B56 1997)
Publishing Foundation, the Canadian Psychological Association, Contains basic information and analysis, including descriptions of
and Hogrefe & Huber. influences and reception concerning some 500 individuals whose
work is of significance in psychology.
Indexes resources in psychology including dissertations and • Survey of Social Science: Psychology Series.
books from 1887 to present. (Ref. BF31 .S79 1993) 6 vols.
Contains 410 articles examining topics from eighteen major areas
• Social Sciences Full Text of psychology. Each article begins with ready-reference
Indexes and abstracts articles of at least one column in length information that states the type of psychology and particular field
from English-language periodicals published in the United States or fields of study to which the article’s topic belongs
and elsewhere plus the full text of selected periodicals
• Social Services Abstracts
• Psychology: An Introductory Bibliography. (Z7201 .P79 1996)
Provides bibliographic coverage of current research focused on
This annotated bibliography is arranged in chapters corresponding
social work, human services, and related areas, including social
to the major subdisciplines of psychology. Most of the entries are
welfare, social policy, and community development
from the 1970s to early 1990s, and include books, chapters of
• Sociological Abstracts books, articles, and a few popular psychology books. Significant
Abstracts and indexes the international literature in sociology and historical works are also included.
related disciplines in the social and behavioral sciences. • The Sage Encyclopedia of Social Science Research Methods.
(Ref. H62 .L456 2004) 3 vols.
Online Magazines, Journals & Newspapers Provides an introduction to a vast array of research methods by
• Adolescence. (quarterly, peer-reviewed) 3/22/1993- giving an account of their purposes, principles, developments, and
Academic OneFile applications.
An international journal devoted to the physiological,
psychological, psychiatric, sociological, and educational aspects Associations, Organizations & Societies
of the second decade of human life. • American Psychological Association.
The American Psychological Association (APA) is a scientific
• Aggressive Behavior. (bi-monthly, peer-reviewed) 1997- and professional organization that represents psychology in the
Wiley InterScience United States. With 148,000 members, APA is the largest
Devoted to the empirical and theoretical analysis of conflict and association of psychologists worldwide.
the scientific understanding of aggression in humans and animals.
• National Institute of Mental Health.
• Depression and Anxiety. (8/year, peer-reviewed) 1996- One of 27 components of the National Institutes of Health (NIH),
Wiley InterScience the Federal government's principal biomedical and behavioral
Publishes reports of novel research on the etiology, research agency. NIH is part of the U.S. Department of Health
pathophysiology, epidemiology, nosology, symptomatology, and and Human Services.
treatment of mood and anxiety disorders.
• Developmental Psychology. (bi-monthly, peer-reviewed) 1969- • Classics in the History of Psychology.
PsycARTICLES Developed as an effort to make the full texts of a large number of
Articles consist of empirical contributions that advance historically significant public domain documents from the
knowledge and theory about human psychological growth and scholarly literature of psychology and allied disciplines available
development from infancy to old age. on the World Wide Web. There are now over 25 books and about
• Journal of Counseling Psychology. 200 articles and chapters on-line. The site also contains links to
(quarterly, peer-reviewed) 1954- over 200 relevant works posted at other sites. Information is
PsycARTICLES sorted by author and topic.
Contains empirical studies about counseling processes and • A Guide to Psychology and Its Practice.
interventions, theoretical articles about counseling, and studies Provides information about the practice of clinical psychology.
dealing with evaluation of counseling applications and programs.
• Psych Web.
• Journal of Experimental Psychology: General. Contains lots of psychology-related information for students and
(quarterly, peer-reviewed) 1916- teachers of psychology.
NM 09/07; rev. 01/09 Page 2 of 2
Psychology Research Guide