Solving Right Triangles, Misc. 4. 3, 4.8
Draw a labeled diagram for each problem. Show all work and give answers to the
1. For a person standing 100 m from the center of the base of the Eiffel Tower,
the angle of elevation to the top of the tower is 71.6. How tall is the Eiffel Tower?
2. Solve the right triangle ABC using trigonometry only: B = 22, b = 14 in.
3. In 2001, the tallest building in the world was the Petronas Tower I in Kuala
Lumpur, Malaysia. For a person standing 25.9 ft from the base of the tower, the
angle of elevation to the top of the tower is 89. How tall is the Pertonas tower?
4. A person standing on the top of the Petronas Tower I looks out across the city
and pinpoints her residence. If the angle of depression from the person‘s eyes
to her home is 5, how far away (in feet and in miles) is the residence?
5. An airplane leaves an airport and travels due east for 255 miles. It then heads
due south for 330 miles. From its current position, along what bearing should it
travel to reach the airport and how far is it?
6. Solve the right triangle ABC using trigonometry only: a = 5 in , c = 6.2 in.
7. Two small boats leave an island at the same time. Boat A travels due north for 21 miles and Boat B travels
due west for 18 miles. How far apart are the boats and what are is the bearing of Boat A from Boat B? What
is the bearing of Boat B from Boat A?
8. A plane leaves an airport and travels 2 hours along a bearing of S 60 W at 175 mph. It then turns on a
bearing of 30 and travels 2.5 hours at 200 mph. How far from the airport is the plane from its last
position? What is the bearing to the airport?
9. From his hotel room window on the sixth floor, Jinn notices some window washers high above him on the
hotel across the street. Curious as to their height above the ground, he quickly estimates the buildings are
50 ft apart, the angle of elevation to the workers is about 80, and the angle of depression to the base of the
hotel is about 50. How high above the ground is the window of Jinn’s hotel room? How high above ground
are the workers?