STUDENT VISA CHECKLIST
CONSULATE OF SPAIN IN SAN FRANCISCO
YOU MUST APPLY FOR THIS VISA, IN PERSON, NO LATER THAN
May 1, 2011
Use this checklist if:
Your UNIVERSITY (as shown on your Student ID) or PERMANENT RESIDENCE (as shown on
your Drivers License) is located in AK, HI, ID, MO, NV, OR, WA, WY and CA (excluding the
counties of San Luis Obispo, Kern, San Bernadino, Santa Barbara, Ventura, Los Angeles, Orange,
Riverside, San Diego, and Imperial).
Submit completed applications and documents, IN PERSON, no later than May 1, 2011 to:
Spanish Consulate of San Francisco
1405 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94109
You will need an APPOINTMENT to submit your visa. Appointments can be made by visiting this
website : https://app.timetrade.com/tc/login.do?url=sfspanconsul You will need to make your
appointment EARLY, as they fill up quickly!
• If you are a Full Year student, or plan on staying for another semester (180+ days) please see additional
instructions at the end of the checklist.
• If you plan on traveling outside the USA prior to June 1, 2011, please contact Camila Nardozzi
(firstname.lastname@example.org, or (315) 443-9425) immediately for additional instructions.
Submit ALL documents from the checklist below (1-10 for semester students; 1-12 for full year students):
1. Original AND Photocopy of Passport: valid until June 2012. Passports must have at least one blank page to
affix the visa. Passports must be signed!
Non-US citizens should provide I-20 /IAP-66 or Alien Registration Card in addition to national passport.
Before submitting your passport, make an extra copy for your own records! If your passport expires before
June 2012, you will need to renew it using an expedited service. Details of this can be found here:
2. Original AND Photocopy of EITHER of the following IDs (PHOTO MUST BE CLEAR IN THE COPY):
Student ID if your home university is located in the San Francisco Consulate jurisdiction (see above), State ID
or Driver’s License showing residency within the SF Consulate jurisdiction.
3. 3 National Applications (Form and Instructions below): Original + 2 photocopies (photocopies must be clear).
Application Forms must be completed in blue or black ink, and in print (not cursive). Application forms must
be signed (please find application form instructions below).
4. 3 passport style photos: Photos must be passport style, and recently taken at a photo studio (CVS, Walgreens,
Kinko’s, etc. All of please places offer passport photo services). Photos must be identical.
5. Letter of acceptance as a full time student from Spain's University/School or US program: You MUST
contact Camila Nardozzi for these letters, at least two weeks prior to your visa appointment so they may
be sent to you.
6. Proof of financial means during your stay: Please provide one of the following:
• Letter from the University or School in Spain or in the USA assuming full financial responsibility
during your stay (the above-mentioned letters often meet this criteria)
• Proof of financial aid or scholarship for at least $1,000 per month for room and board.
• Notarized letter from your parents or legal guardians assuming full financial responsibility for at least
$1,000 per month for room and board. Suggested wording: “I hereby certify that I'm the
(father/mother/other) of (...), will support him/her with a monthly allowance of at least $1,000 while
he/she is in Spain and that I'm financially responsible for any emergency that may arise".
• Personal bank account statements showing at least $1,000 per month of stay.
7. Proof of Health Insurance (original form): International insurance coverage for health/accident with a
minimum coverage equal to €30,000 during the planning period of stay in Spain (or its equivalency in dollars).
This letter must be written on your health insurance company letterhead, and must be the original form sent to
8. Roundtrip airline reservation or itinerary: USA – Spain – USA.
9. US Postal Service Money Order payable to the “Consulate General of Spain” for $140.00 (US citizens) or
$77.40 (non-US citizens). Money Orders can be purchased at any US Post Office
10. Pre-paid ($18.30) “Express Mail” Envelope from the US Postal Service*, Self-Addressed. Once the visa is
affixed to your passport, the Spanish Consulate will mail your passport back to you using this envelope. In the
addressee section of your mailing label, write the address where you will expect to be in mid-June. In the
“Sender” portion of the label, please write:
106 Walnut Place
Syracuse, NY 13244
* Please, do not submit any other type of envelope (e.g. US Priority, DHL, UPS, FedEx, etc.) as the Spanish
Consulate will not accept it.
Full Year Students ONLY:
If there is any chance that you may stay for a second semester, you should indicate so in your visa application
and provide the following additional documents to those listed above:
11. Medical Certificate: Doctor’s statement on health care provider’s letterhead, indicating that you have
been examined and found in good physical and mental health to travel and study abroad, and that you
are free of contagious diseases.
12. Absence of Police Records: This certificate must be issued by the FBI - Criminal Record History or
FBI Identification Report. It should be verified with a fingerprint card, and have a stamp of the
Apostille of the Hague. Details of this process can be found here: http://fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm.
Please do not leave this to the last minute, as it may take up to 3 months for the FBI to process your
INSTRUCTIONS TO COMPLETING VISA APPLICATION
IF A QUESTION IS NOT APPLICABLE TO YOU, WRITE “N/A”
DUE TO THE DIFFERENT DATE FORMAT USED IN SPAIN,
WRITE DATES AS DAY/MONTH/YEAR
1. Surname = Fill in your last name as shown in your passport
2. Surname(s) at birth = Previous last names you may have had, could apply if you are married,
adopted, etc. Only if your last name at birth is different than now
3. First names = First and middle names
4. Date of birth = Day/Month/Year
5. Place of birth = City and State where you were born
6. Country of birth = Country where you were born
7. Current nationality/ies = Your current country of citizenship (this is not your race). If you have
more than one citizenship, list first the one corresponding to the passport that you are
presenting for your application, and then add any other citizenship you may have.
Original nationality (nationality at birth) = Your citizenship when you were born
8. Sex = Check the applicable: Male/Female
9. Marital status = Circle your current marital status even if it is different from that what appears in
your passport: single/married/separate/divorced/widow(er)/other
10. LEAVE BLANK
11. National Identity Number = Social Security Number (US Citizens) or other National ID (non-
12. Type of travel document = Ordinary Passport
13. Number of travel document = Passport Number
14. Date of Issue = Date of passport issue (in passport) Day/Month/Year
15. Valid until = Day/Month/Year of expiration (This information is in your passport. It may
appear as “Valid Until” or as “Expiration Date”)
*Your passport MUST be valid until at least June 2012!
16. Issued by = Place where your passport was issued (located in lower right of US passport.)
Usually distributed by United States Department of State or regional passport authority.
17. Applicant’s Home Address and email address = Your permanent address and email address
Telephone Number(s) = Home AND cell phone number
18. Residence in a country other than the country of current nationality = If you are a US citizen,
but your permanent address is in another country, OR if you are a non-US citizen and your
permanent address is in a country different from your national passport (ex: non-US citizen
living in the US with a Greencard).
19. Current Occupation = Student (even if you work while in school)
20. Main purpose of the journey = Study
21. Intended date of arrival in Spain
Eurovision Blue = 14 August 2011
Eurovision Orange = 15 August 2011
Azahar = 18 August 2011
Mare Nostrum = 19 August 2011
22. Number of Entries requested = Multiple Entries
23. Applicant’s Address in Spain = Calle Miguel Angel, 8 28010 Madrid, Spain
24. LEAVE ALL BOXES BLANK
25. LEAVE ALL BOXES BLANK
26. Data of the educational establishment or research centre in case of applying for a student or
Name of educational establishment = Instituto Internacional
Address of the educational establishment = Calle Miguel Angel 8, 28010 Madrid Spain
Telephone of the educational establishment = 34. 91. 319. 9942
Email address of the educational establishment = email@example.com
Intended start date of studies = EV Blue: 13 August 2011
EV Orange: 14 August 2011
Azahar: 17 August 2011
Mare Nostrum: 18 August 2011
Intended date of end of studies = ALL OPTION I STUDENTS = 8 December 2011
ALL OPTION II STUDENTS = 20 June 2012
LEAVE ALL OTHER BOXES BLANK
27. Place and Date = Where (the city) and when (the date) you completed this form. The location
MUST correspond to the Consulate’s jurisdiction. Since you are applying through the
Spanish Consulate in San Francisco, the place must be within AK, Northern CA, HI, ID, MT,
NV, OR, WA or WY
28. Signature (DO NOT FORGET!)
Application for a National Visa PHOTO
This application form is free
1. Surname (Family name) (x) PARTE RESERVADA A LA
2. Surname at birth (Former family name(s)) (x) Fecha de la solicitud:
Número de la solicitud de
3. First name(s) (Given name(s)) (x) visado:
Expediente gestionado por:
4. Date of birth (day-month-year) 5. Place of birth 7.Current nationality
6. Country of birth Nationality at birth, if different:
□ Documento de viaje
□ Autorización gubernativa
8. Sex 9. Marital status □ Solicitud de autorización
□ Male □ Female □ Single □ Married □ Separated □ Divorced □ Widow(er) □ Medios de subsistencia
□ Other (please specify) □ Prueba de alojamiento
□ Certificado médico
10. In the case of minors: Surname, first name, address (if different from applicant's) and nationality of parental □ Certificado de antecedentes
authority/legal guardian penales
□ Seguro médico de viaje
□ Nota Verbal
11. National identity number, where applicable
Decisión sobre el visado:
12. Type of travel document
□ Ordinary passport □ Diplomatic passport □ Service passport □ Official passport □ Special passport
□ Other travel document (please specify) □ Expedido:
Válido desde …………
13. Number of travel document 14. Date of issue 15. Valid until 16. Issued by
Número de entradas:
17. Applicant's home address and e-mail address Telephone number(s) □ Una □ dos □ múltiples
Número de días:
18. Residence in a country other than the country of current nationality
□ Yes. Residence permit or equivalent ………………… No. …………………….. Valid until
* 19. Current occupation
(x) Fields 1-3 shall be filled in in accordance with the data in the travel document.
20. Main purpose of the journey:
□ Residence without work permit □ Residence – Temporary work (9 months in 1 year)
□ Residence – Family reunion □ Studies
□ Residence – Employee □ Research (within the framework of an agreement signed by a research centre)
□ Residence – Self-employed □ Accreditation
21. Intended date of arrival in Spain 22. Number of entries requested: □ Single entry □ Two entries □ Multiple entries
23. Applicant’s address in Spain
24. Data of the individual resident in Spain in case of applying for a residence visa for family reunion
Surname (Family name) and first name(s) (Given name(s)) of the resident individual in Spain
Family relationship (of the applicant with the individual resident in Spain)
□ dependent direct relative in the ascending line of the individual resident
□ Spouse or the spouse or partner
□ Registered partner □ dependent person when the individual resident holds the parental
□ Child (of the individual resident or the spouse) authority/is the legal guardian
Date of birth Nationality Spanish Alien’s Identity Number (NIE) or number of the Spanish
National Identity Card (DNI)
Individual resident’s address in Spain Individual resident’s telephone
Individual resident’s e-mail address
25. Data of the employer or the company in case of applying for a residence visa for employees, self-employed or temporary work
Surname (Family name) and first name(s) (Given name(s)) of the employer or name of the company and surname (Family name) and first name(s) (Given
name(s)) of the contact person in the company
Employer or company’s address Employer or company’s telephone
Employer or company’s e-mail address
Spanish Alien’s Identity Number (NIE) or number of the Spanish National Identity Card (DNI) of the employer or of the contact person in the company
Company’s Spanish Tax Identification Code (CIF)
26. Data of the educational establishment or research centre in case of applying for a student or research visa
Name of the educational establishment or research centre
Address of the educational establishment or research centre Telephone of the educational establishment or research centre
E-mail address of the educational establishment or research centre
Intended date of start of studies or research Intended date of end of studies or research
In case of temporary stay of children with the purpose of studying in Spain within the framework of a program of a Public Administration, a non-profit
organisation or a charity or other establishment or persons who do not hold their parental authorities/are not their legal guardians:
Surname (Family name) and first name(s) (Given name(s)) of the person responsible or name of the organisation and surname (Family name) and first
name(s) (Given name(s)) of the contact person in the organisation
Address of the person responsible or organisation Telephone of the person responsible or organisation
E-mail address of the person responsible or organisation
Spanish Alien’s Identity Number (NIE) or number of the Spanish National Identity Card (DNI) of the person responsible or of the contact person in the
I am aware of and consent to the following: the collection of the data required by this application
form and the taking of my photograph are mandatory for the examination of the visa application.
Any personal data concerning me which appear on the visa application form, as well as my
photograph, will be supplied to the relevant authorities and processed by those authorities, for the
purposes of a decision on my visa application. Such data as well as data concerning the decision
taken on my application will be entered into, and stored in a database. The controller is the Consular
Post at which the visa was applied for. Data shall be accessible to the visa authorities and the
authorities competent for carrying out checks on visas at external borders and in Spain, immigration
and asylum authorities for the purposes of verifying whether the conditions for the legal entry into,
stay and residence on the territory of Spain are fulfilled, of identifying persons who do not or who no
longer fulfil these conditions, of examining an asylum application and of determining responsibility
for such examination.
I am aware that I have the rights of access, correction and deletion of personal data relating to me
and the right to object to the processing thereof, pursuant to the provisions contained in the Ley
Orgánica 15/1999, de 13 de diciembre, de Protección de Datos de Carácter Personal, by addressing
a request to the Dirección General de Asuntos y Asistencia Consulares of the Ministry of Foreign
Affairs and Coopeartion; calle Ruiz de Alarcón 5, 20871 – Madrid (Spain).
I declare that to the best of my knowledge all particulars supplied by me are correct and complete. I
am aware that any false statements shall lead to my application being rejected or to the annulment of
a visa already granted.
I am aware that once the visa request has been submitted, a copy of the form, sealed with the
indication of the date and place of reception, shall be returned to the applicant and that arrangements
can be made with the applicant as to the channel to request corrections or the supply of documents or
certificates, as well as to serve notice of summons and to notify the decision adopted in due course.
Notices and requests shall be served by telephone or fax to the contact number provided by the
interested party or his/her legal representative. If they were to prove ineffective, they shall be served
in writing to the domicile set out in the application, which must be located within the consular
Summons and requests served must be complied with within a period not exceeding ten days, unless
personal attendance is required in which case the deadline is fifteen days.
Once all the possibilities of serving a notice have been exhausted, the notice shall be served by
means of an announcement posted at the relevant notice board of the Embassy or Consulate during
If no reply is received to a request or summons, the applicant shall be deemed to have withdrawn his
request and the resolution establishing this to be the case shall be notified to him.
Decisions on a visa application shall be notified within one month of the date of the lodging of an
application, except for residence visas without work permit. In this case, decisions shall be notified
within three months, but the request for the residence authorisation that has to be issued by the
competent Delegación or Subdelegación del Gobierno shall interrupt the computation of this period
of time until this authorisation is notified to the Embassy or Consulate.
The visa once granted must be collected within a month, unless it is a visa for family reunion or a
visa for study purposes; in these cases, it must be collected before two months elapse. If a visa is not
collected within the aforesaid period, the applicant shall be deemed to have renounced to the visa
granted and the proceedings shall be filed.
I am aware that the visa fee is not refunded if the visa is refused.
27. Place and date 28. Signature (for minors, signature of parental authority/legal guardian)