Documents
Resources
Learning Center
Upload
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out

A communiqué

VIEWS: 6 PAGES: 11

									                       Alliance of North American Pipe Band Associations
                                      Summit VII- Unity
                                       Orlando, Florida
                                   Hampton Inn/Orlando North
                                      January 27-29, 2006

                                               AGENDA

Please note: With the exception of Friday night, agendas for the Presidents and the Music Board Reps
meetings are shown separately.

FRIDAY Evening January 27 (for all association delegates) – Hampton Inn/Orlando North

6:30 p.m.      Relocate to Hampton Inn’s Main Room off the front lobby entrance (Reception with
               hors d’oeuvres)

7:00 p.m.      Welcome by Jeff Mann, Chair, ANAPBA

7:05 p.m.      Remarks from Sandy Keith, ANAPBA Vice Chair

7:10 p.m.      Remarks from Jeff Anderson, ANAPBA MIAC Chair

7:15 p.m.      Introduction and welcome of Kevin Reilly, Chairman, RSPBA

7:25 p.m.      Introduction of attending associations

7:45 p.m.      Introduction and welcome to Bob Radock-Walt Disney World on ANAPBA Champion of
               Champions proposal. (Time will be allotted for a question and answer session)

8:30 p.m.      Break

8:35 p.m.      Results of significant implementations of ANAPBA VI recommendations
                   Recognition of 75th anniversary of the RSPBA

                       Improvement of Offerings at Highland Games

                       We request that RSPBA does not include North American pipe bands in their year-
                        end re-grading process.




Page 1 of 11
PRESIDENTS MEETINGS Hampton Inn/Orlando North
Friday Evening January 27, 2005 – Main Room

               (Cont.) Results of significant implementations of ANAPBA VI recommendations

                     We recommend that if a visiting adjudicator has a complaint filed against him/her,
                      the complaint should be referred back to the adjudicator’s home association for
                      action.

                      We recommend that all member associations establish a performance rating system
                      and that an analysis of each association’s experience with their system be presented
                      at the next Summit.

                     We recommend that member associations extend cross border invitations to other
                      member associations for professional development sessions.

Adjourn 9:30 p.m.




Page 2 of 11
PRESIDENTS MEETINGS Hampton Inn/Orlando North
SATURDAY Morning January 28, 2005 – Ambassador Room

8:00 a.m.      Executive Reports
                      1. Secretary's minutes from Summit VI and approval (Aaron Noga)
                      2. Treasurer's report (Aaron Noga)
                      3. ANAPBA website report (Jeff Mann for Iain MacDonald)

8:30 a.m.      Presentation on Copyright Issues Relevant to Pipe Music and its Performance
                           General Background on Copyright Law
                           Composer’s and Performer’s Rights
                           Composer’s, Performer’s and Promoter’s Responsibilities
                           Required Licenses (music reproduction, live and recorded performances)
                           Composer’s and Performer’s Rights Associations
                           Responsibilities of Pipe Band Associations
                           Mechanisms to address these issues
                      -BCPBA (Rob MacNeil)

9:00 a.m.      A new directional look at promoting education for solos and bands.
                    -BCPBA (Rob MacNeil)

9:15 a.m.      Clarification of the instructor’s rule. What is each association doing?
                      - WUSPBA (Stuart Baker)
9:30 a.m.      Break

10:00 a.m.     Scoring System- What is each association doing? Performance Rating System or Other?
                      -PPBSO (Ron Rollo)

10:15 a.m.     Juvenile and Grade 5 bands –How are other associations handling this?
                      -PPBAM (Marlene Stephen)

10:30 a.m.     One Individual Two Bands in Two Associations – How do we handle this?
                      -MWPBA (Drew Hoinacki)

10:45 a.m.     How do we get piping and drumming events going?
                     -PPBAM (Marlene Stephen)

11:00 a.m.     Break




Page 3 of 11
PRESIDENTS MEETINGS Hampton Inn/Orlando North
SATURDAY Morning January 28, 2005 – Main Room

Visioning Process (The Main Room)
11:05 a.m.   What Can ANAPBA do for you?
                        - (Jeff Mann, Amanda Hammond, Andrew Smith)

12:00 p.m.     Lunch Break – On your own.


SATURDAY Afternoon January 28, 2005 – Hampton Inn/Orlando North
1:00 p.m.      Group Photo – Presidents and Music Board Reps – Front of Hotel

Presidents and MIAC Group join together in the Main Room
1:15 p.m.    MIAC group summary of conference call with Bob Shepherd, RSPBA MAP Committee.

1:30 p.m.      The MAP Program- presentation by Kevin Reilly, Chairman, RSPBA – Presidents and
               Music Board Reps

               Working together with the RSPBA" – Presidents and Music Board Reps
                     1. Update on affiliated associations representation on RSPBA committees
                     2. Update on future World Pipe Band Association, North American qualifiers?
                     3. Update on the future format of the World Pipe Band Championships
                     4. Any new music requirements on the horizon?
                     5. RSPBA Mentoring Program, How it works.

2:30 p.m.      Break: Presidents remain in the Main Room and MIAC Group returns to the
               Diplomat Room

VISIONING PROCESS (The Main Room) Mini group facilitated discussions and visioning process on
the following topics:
2:40 p.m.      1.       The need for Instructor Certification Program
                           The purpose and need?
                           What are the criteria?
                           How is it developed?

               2.       Adjudication Certification Program
                         How does my association implement the program
                         Best practices of training and shadowing/mentoring

               3.       Score Sheets, What’s working and what’s not?



Page 4 of 11
PRESIDENTS MEETINGS Hampton Inn/Orlando North
SATURDAY Morning January 28, 2005 – Main Room

4:10 p.m       Recommendations resulting from the visioning process.

4:45 p.m       Sanctioning Process for games Sponsors, What one association does
                                  Problems and Issues
                                  What do pipe band associations do for their games sponsors?
                                  How are those benefits communicated to games sponsors?
                             -WUSPBA (Stuart Baker & Lise Nelson)

5:00 p.m.      Joint Presidents and Music Board Reps Progress Reports (Presidents and Music
               Board Reps- The Main Room)

                      - Administrative Meeting Progress Report

                      - Music Meeting Progress Report

                      - Formation of any "pub committees" to further discuss some issues in the evening

                      - Possible modification of Sunday’s agenda

5:30 p.m.      Adjourn
               Dinner is on your own.




Page 5 of 11
PRESIDENTS MEETINGS Hampton Inn/Orlando North
SUNDAY Morning January 29, 2005 – Hampton Inn/Orlando North Ambassador Room

8:00 a.m.      Administration

               1. Budget for fiscal year 2005/6

               2. Determination of dues for fiscal year 2005/6

               3. Review of policy for approving ANAPBA expenses

               4. Elections of Chair, Vice Chair, appointments of Secretary/Treasurer and MIAC Chair

8:45 a.m.      Administrative Working Groups – Refinement of suggestions into recommendations

10:00 a.m.     Break: Presidents and MIAC Group join together in the Main Room

10:15 a.m.     Reports from Working Groups and Discussion/Adoption of Recommendations
               (Presidents and Music Board Reps)

11:15 a.m.     Summary of Action Items from the Summit

11:30 a.m.     Closing Remarks- Jeff Mann and Adjourn




Page 6 of 11
MUSIC INITIATIVES ADVISORY COMMITTEE
MUSIC BOARD REPS MEETINGS

SATURDAY Morning January 28, 2005 – Diplomat Room Hampton Inn/Orlando North

8:00 a.m.         Review of MAP Program and preparation of questions for Bob Shepherd.

    1.         Review of MAP format for RSPBA Major Championships
    2.         Review of video produced by RSPBA
    3.         Discussion of MAP and potential utilization in North America
               a. Grade 4 QMM change?
                       i. Review of Grade 4 Band tune requirements
                      ii. How to educate bands
               b. Grade 5 utilization for those associations offering Grade 5
                       i. Review of Grade 5 Band tune requirements
                      ii. How to educate bands
               c. Educating adjudicators / dissemination of requirements and tunes
                       i. Continuing education requirements?
                      ii. Seminars
               d. Monitoring changes to RSPBA MAP tunes and implementation in North American Pipe
                  Band Associations




Page 7 of 11
MUSIC INITIATIVES ADVISORY COMMITTEE
MUSIC BOARD REPS MEETINGS

SATURDAY Morning January 28, 2005 – Hampton Inn/Orlando North Diplomat Room
                      Grade 4 and Novice Juvenile Competition format for 2006
The RSPBA is introducing a new Musical Appreciation and Presentation (MAP) competition format in
2006 at Major Championships for Grade 4 and Novice Juvenile pipe bands. To assist bands in preparing
for the new competition format a self-development educational programme has been created by the
RSPBA’s Academy of Pipe Band Musicianship. Materials associated with the educational programme
have now been distributed to all registered RSPBA pipe bands. These materials comprise:
        Concept Booklet “The Language of Music: Applying the Concept to Pipe Bands”

        Wallet containing the 14 two-parted 2/4 tunes from which bands will be required to select two for
        the new MAP competition format.
        List of seminar dates and venues. The seminars are being designed to ensure awareness and
        common understanding of the competition format and the learning programme. They have been
        planned for various locations throughout the UK to enable Pipe Majors, Leading Drummers and
        tutors of all registered Grade 4 and Novice Juvenile bands to attend. The seminars will also be
        open to other RSPBA members who may be interested in the learning programme.
A DVD is also being developed to provide additional support to the learning programme. The DVD will
be distributed during November 2005.

                                    MAP Competition Requirements
The 2/4 marches for RSPBA MAP competitions in 2006 are:
        Teribus                                                    Mhari Bhan
        Brown Haired Maiden                                        Jenny’s Bawbee
        Corriecholies 43rd Welcome to the Northern Meeting         Drunken Piper
        Campbell’s Farewell to Redcastle                           McKay’s Farewell to the 74th
        Greenwood Side                                             Earl of Mansfield
        Sweet Maid of Glendaruel                                   I’ll Gang Nae Mair to Yon Toon
        72nd Highlanders Farewell to Aberdeen                P/M William Ross’s Farewell to the Scots Guards


11:00 a.m.     Conference Call with Bob Shepherd, RSPBA MAP Committee

12:00 p.m.     Lunch Break – Off the front Lobby.

1:00 p.m.      Group Photo – Presidents and Music Board Reps – Front of Hotel


Page 8 of 11
MUSIC INITIATIVES ADVISORY COMMITTEE
MUSIC BOARD REPS MEETINGS

SATURDAY Afternoon January 28, 2005 – Hampton Inn/Orlando North
Presidents and MIAC Group join together in the Main Room

1:15 p.m.      MIAC group summary of conference call with Bob Shepherd, RSPBA MAP Committee.

1:30 p.m.      The MAP Program- presentation by Kevin Reilly, Chairman, RSPBA – Presidents and
               Music Board Reps
               Working together with the RSPBA" – Presidents and Music Board Reps
                      1. Update on affiliated associations representation on RSPBA committees
                      2. Update on future World Pipe Band Association
                      3. Update on the future format of the World Pipe Band Championships
                      4. Any new music requirements on the horizon?
                      5. RSPBA Mentoring Program. How it works.

2:30 p.m.      Break: Presidents remain in the Main Room and MIAC Group returns to the
               Diplomat Room

SATURDAY Afternoon January 28, 2005 – Hampton Inn/Orlando North Diplomat Room

2:30 p.m.      Break: MIAC Group returns to the Diplomat Room
               (Note: understanding that much time and effort will be spent on the MAP program,
               however the following items are recommendations to the MIAC from the various
               associations as time permits.)

                     Adjudication Certification Process
                     Best practices of training and shadowing/mentoring

                     Instructor Certification Process
                     Is it needed? What are the criteria? How is it implemented?

                     ANAPBA MIAC Group
                     What are its initiatives, goals and direction

                     Score Sheets
                     Comments on the score sheets created out of last Summit’s meetings
                     Report on development of new score sheets within many associations. (Bring
                     examples)




Page 9 of 11
MUSIC INITIATIVES ADVISORY COMMITTEE
MUSIC BOARD REPS MEETINGS

SATURDAY Afternoon January 28, 2005 – Hampton Inn/Orlando North Diplomat Room
Music Requirements

                      Review where everyone is on the uniform recommendations – tenor drummers,
                      instructors, solo grade 4 requirements
                      Review and recommend chanter and drum pad requirements
                      Review and recommend Grade 5 band and solo requirements
                      Suggestion made from an association: Grade III snare – break MSR into M & S/R

                      PPBAM
                      Review and recommendations professional snare solo requirements
                      Sanctioning games package


                      MWPBA
                      Players in more than 1 band in different Associations. How is it monitored??
                      Snare drummer playing with solo tenors, should they be allowed at all??
                      Instructor rule needs to again be looked at.
                      Official rosters should be sent with each band when playing outside their home association.

                      SPBA
                      Would like to see a “North American Sanctioned Events List” that could be posted
                      on the ANAPBA web site. [with links]

5:00 p.m.       Joint Presidents and Music Board Reps Progress Reports- Main Room
                       - Administrative Meeting Progress Report
                       - Music Meeting Progress Report
                       - Formation of any "pub committees" to further discuss some issues in the evening
                       - Possible modification of Sunday’s agenda

5:30 p.m.       Adjourn

Dinner is on your own.




Page 10 of 11
MUSIC INITIATIVES ADVISORY COMMITTEE
MUSIC BOARD REPS MEETINGS

SUNDAY Morning January 29, 2005 – Hampton Inn/Orlando North Diplomat Room

8:00 a.m.       Wrap up on agenda items. Recommendations to come forward

10:00 a.m.      Break: Presidents and MIAC Group join together in the Main Room

10:15 a.m.      Reports from Working Groups and Discussion/Adoption of Recommendations
                (Presidents and Music Board Reps)

11:15 a.m.      Summary of Action Items from the Summit

11:30 a.m.      Closing remarks- Jeff Mann and Adjourn




Page 11 of 11

								
To top