Malaria Ends – Life Begins
One in Thirty Children in Togo Dies
of Malaria - From a Mosquito Bite!
Did you know that . . .
• Malaria is a life-threatening disease, spread through the
bites of mosquitoes.
• About half of the world’s population (3.3 billion people)
are at risk of malaria.
• Malaria kills nearly one million people a year. 85% of
people dying from malaria are children under five years
Where does malaria occur?
Most of these deaths
from malaria are in
where malaria is a
leading cause of death
In Africa, one child
dies from malaria
every 45 seconds.
Source: Centers for Disease Control and
For example, in Togo . . .
• In Togo, 25% of childhood deaths are
due to malaria.
• In Togo, one of every 30 children dies
from malaria. Google maps, 2010
Why focus on Togo?
• Malaria is a serious problem in Togo.
• Churches in the city of Lomé, Togo
are united with each other as well as
government agencies, non-profits,
and businesses in their communities
to lead the fight against malaria.
Google maps, 2010
What can be done?
• Malaria is a serious, life-
• But malaria can be
• Malaria can be cured!
• Our goal is to save the
lives of children in Togo
by preventing malaria
through health education
and bed net distribution.
What will the churches in
• Church members in Togo will
insecticidal bed nets and
teach how to use them.
• They will visit families in their
homes and provide follow-up.
• They will teach about malaria
and other health topics.
• They will share the power
and hope of the gospel.
What are long-lasting
insecticidal bed nets?
• Malaria is spread by mosquitoes
that bite at night. Mosquito nets
act as a physical barrier to
prevent mosquito bites.
• Long-lasting insecticidal nets
contain an insecticide that drives
away or kills mosquitoes.
• When people sleep under long-
lasting insecticidal nets, there are
fewer mosquitoes and fewer
mosquito bites—so less malaria.
What is Malaria Ends – Life Begins ?
We are a coalition of Christian churches and ministries
working together under the banner of the Global CHE
Network to save lives, make followers of Jesus, and
engage with our communities in wholistic mission.
Our mission is to equip church members to deliver bed
nets, health education, and the transforming truths of
the Gospel into every home in Lomé.
What are the goals of
Malaria Ends – Life Begins ?
To save the lives of children in Togo by preventing malaria through health
education and bed net distribution.
To disciple 2000 people in the city of Lomé and establish 200 new small
To engage U.S. churches with their communities raising awareness of the
devastating problem of malaria and raising funds to fight it.
To nurture and strengthen a partnership between U.S. churches and the
Churches of Togo.
To mobilize believers in Togo to transform lives and communities through
the power and hope of the Gospel through Community Health
Evangelism*. (*See www.chenetwork.org to learn about CHE.)
How can North American
churches be a part of this?
• Churches in North America will
raise funds to purchase bed nets
and support master trainers in
• They will raise awareness of
malaria in their communities and
invite businesses and schools in
the community to contribute to
• North American churches will also
take vision trips to develop
relationships with the churches of
What can you do?
Join with churches in Togo to prevent these
deaths and bring life!
• Study: Learn the facts about malaria and the project in
the city of Lomé.
• Go to http://www.malariaends.org/learn.php
• Share: Use the small group bundle to give a quiz, share
about the project, show a video, and hand out response
cards to your small group or Sunday School class. Also,
teach your children about malaria.
• Go to http://www.malariaends.org/materials.php
A $10.00 donation delivers . . .
• a bed net,
• education about the prevention and treatment of
• Bible study, and
• monitoring and follow up through home visits.
Go to http://www.malariaends.org/give.php
• Pray for the teams at work in Lomé, for the church members who
are visiting in homes, and for the recipients of the bed nets. Read
reports about what God is doing on Facebook.
• Provide: $10 provides a bed net that provides protection for two
children for four years, education about the prevention and
treatment of malaria, Bible study, and monitoring and follow up
through home visits.
• Go Social: Join us on the Malaria Ends – Life Begins Facebook
page! Share what you are doing and see what others are doing to
end malaria and bring life to the city of Lomé. Post your stories,
photos, videos and links on the Facebook page.
• Take a vision trip to get to know the CHE teams in Togo.
Malaria Ends - Life Begins