VIEWS: 3 PAGES: 1 POSTED ON: 7/26/2011
11/5/2010 For immediate release Holiday Historic Homes Tour in College Station set for Dec. 7 Three historic homes in College Station will be open to the public for a Holiday Historic Homes Tour on Tuesday, Dec. 7, from 5 to 8 p.m. The homes are located in the Southside Historic District and will be decorated for the holidays. The Southside Historic District is adjacent to the Texas A&M University campus, on the south side of George Bush Drive, and was developed in the early 20th century, long before College Station was incorporated as a city in 1938. Homes on the tour are the Rudder-Jessup Home at 115 Lee Ave. (1936); the Bloom-Miller Home at 504 Guernsey St. (1942); and the Abbott-Blakely-Chavis Home at 701 Hereford St. (1934). The Holiday Historic Homes Tour is sponsored by the Bryan-College Station Sister Cities Association and the College Station Historic Preservation Committee. Tickets may be purchased in advance at the Bryan-College Station Convention and Visitors Bureau, at World Fest or bought at the door on the night of the tour. Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children 11 and under. Proceeds will benefit the B-CS Sister Cities Youth Exchange Program with Greifswald, Germany. Seven local teens spent two weeks living with a host family in Germany last summer and the German teens will visit Bryan-College Station in April 2011. About the Homes The Rudder-Jessup house was built in 1936 and served as home to Texas A&M President Earl Rudder for two years after the President's House on the campus burned in 1963. General and Mrs. Rudder lived in the home until the new President's Home was built in 1965. The Greek-Revival style Rudder-Jessup home is decorated with antiques. It was renovated in 1999 by George and Hillary Jessup, who have opened up the home as a top-rated bed and breakfast. The Bloom-Miller home is the childhood home of the current owner, Linda Harvell. Linda’s father, Capt. Hank Bloom, and mother, Norma Bloom Miller, bought the house in 1955 from the original owners. The cottage-style home was built by Hershell Burgess, developer of the Oakwood Addition. Linda and husband Russ completed renovations in 2009. Most of the hardwood floors and the fireplace are original, and the home is furnished with four generations of Texas-themed decorations and antiques. The Abbott-Blakely-Chavis, or ABC, home was built in 1934 by John Paul and Virginia Abbot and purchased from them by Dr. Craig Blakely and Karan Chavis in 1996. Recent renovations to the Cape Cod-style home include additions to the main house, as well as a new guest house with a small recording studio and a new pool and pool house on the property. Both sets of owners have close ties to Texas A&M University and the local arts community. For more information: contact the Convention & Visitors Bureau at 979-260-9898; or contact Linda Harvell at Forli@aol.com or 979-703-5305.
Pages to are hidden for
"2010 Homes Tour Press Release - Bryan-College Station Sister Cities"Please download to view full document