JARED M. HANSEN
Assistant Professor of Marketing
University of North Carolina at Charlotte
Belk College of Business
9201 University City Blvd
Charlotte, NC 28223-001
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Graduate Ph.D. Business Administration, Marketing, Dec 2007
Texas Tech University, Lubbock, Texas
Masters of Business Administration, Marketing, 2005
Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
Undergraduate Bachelor of Science in Facilities Management, 2001
Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah
Other/Professional Wal-Mart Corporate Buyer Training Program, 2002
Wal-Mart Retail Leadership School Training Program, 2001
ACADEMIC Assistant Professor of Marketing, Belk College of Business
POSITIONS University of North Carolina at Charlotte (2008-present)
HONORS, 2008 Belk College $36K Research Grant Award
AWARDS, & 2007 AMA-Sheth Doctoral Consortium Fellow
FELLOWSHIPS 2007 Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, 2007
2006 Best Conference Paper Award, 8th Triennial Academy of
Marketing Science/American Collegiate Retailing Association Retailing
2005-2007 Jerry S. Rawls Fellowship, Texas Tech U
2004-2005 Eyring /Romney MBA Scholarship, Brigham Young U
1999-2000 J.C. Penny Scholarship
1995-1996 University Academic Scholarship, Brigham Young U
1991 2nd Honorable Mention, 10th Annual Colorado State Mathematical
1990 1st Honorable Mention, 9 Annual Colorado State Mathematical
Eagle Scout, 2 palms
Dr. Hansen is interested in examining managerially relevant, fundamental and cutting-edge
issues that further our understanding of consumers and firms in the marketplace. His research
examines (1) managerial implications of issues concerning the consumer/customer (e.g.,
decision making heuristics, pricing, consumption behavior, social media, property rights), (2)
issues regarding firm marketing strategy (e.g., sustainability/CSRs, competition, innovation,
entrepreneurship, apathetic motivation, meeting orientation, diversity, ethics), and (3) theory
construction (modeling, measurement, philosophy of science).
MBA and executive: Pricing and Product Strategy, Marketing Research, Marketing
Undergraduate: Consumer Behavior, Marketing Research, Retail Marketing
Guest Seminars: International Marketing, Branding, Channels, Philosophy of Business
Under Development: Theory Construction (doctoral level)
Other teaching interests: yes
Location: taught courses at UNC Charlotte main campus,
uptown MBA-evening program,
executive MBA program in Monterrey Mexico (EGADE),
executive MBA program in Hong Kong,
and prior, Texas Tech main campus.
ARTICLES PUBLISHED IN REFEREED JOURNALS
1. Hansen, Jared M., Sumit Raut, and Sanjeev Swami (2010), “Retail Shelf Allocation: A
Comparative Analysis of Advances in Heuristic and Meta-Heuristic Approaches,” Journal
of Retailing, 86 (1), 95-104.
2. Hansen, Jared M. and Michael Levin (2010), “Retail E-Learning Assessment Effectiveness:
Motivation, Location, and Perception,” International Journal of Retail & Distribution
Management, 38 (10), forthcoming.
3. Godfrey, Paul C., Nile W. Hatch, and Jared M. Hansen (2010), “Toward a General Theory
of CSRs: The Roles of Beneficence, Profitability, Insurance, and Industry Heterogeneity,”
Business and Society, 49 (2), 316-344.
4. Hansen, Jared M. (2009) “The Evolution of Buyer-Supplier Relationships: An Historical
Industry Approach.” Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, 24 (3/4), 227-236.
5. Godfrey, Paul C., Craig G. Merrill, and Jared M. Hansen (2009), “The Relationship
Between Corporate Social Responsibility and Shareholder Value: An Empirical Test of the
Risk Management Hypothesis,” Strategic Management Journal, 30 (4), 425-445.
6. Hunt, Shelby D. and Jared M. Hansen (2007), “Understanding Ethical Diversity in
Organizations,” Organizational Dynamics, 36 (2), 202-216.
PUBLISHED BOOK CHAPTERS
7. Hansen, Jared M. (2011), "Merchandise Management," in Retailing, 7ed, Dunne, Lusch,
and Carver, eds. Thompson Southwest, pg. 217-245.
8. Hunt, Shelby D. and Jared M. Hansen (2010), "The Philosophical Foundations of
Marketing Research: For Scientific Realism and Truth," in The Sage Handbook of
Marketing Theory, Pauline Maclaran, Michael Saren, Barbara Stern, and Mark Tadajewski
(eds). Sage: London, pg 111-126.
9. Hansen, Jared M., Benjamin C. Hansen, and Michael D. Geurts (2009) “Forecasting the
Consequences of Negative Atypical Events: The Case of the Impact of Terrorism Attacks
on Tourism,” Advances in Business and Management Forecasting, 6.
PAPERS SUBMITTED TO REFEREED JOURNALS
10. Hansen, Jared M., Ronald K. Mitchell, and Bob McDonald. “Positive and Negative
Mediators of Competence Retention in New Product Development.” Status: under review
at Journal of Marketing.
11. Hansen, Jared M. and Shelby D. Hunt. “The Effects of Retailer Price Promotions on Total
Market Basket Financial Performance: The Role of Customer Consumption
Capacity.” Status: preparing for invited resubmission at the Journal of Marketing.
12. Hansen, Jared M. and Michael J. McGinty. “Building Bridges Between Consumption
Research and Practice: Examining the Pie Metaphor.” Status: under review at Journal of
13. Hansen, Jared M., Scott M. Smith, and Michael D. Geurts. “The Inclusion of a Two-Stage
Highly-Interesting Question in Survey Research: Findings from a National Panel Field
Experiment.” Status: under review at International Journal of Marketing Research.
RESEARCH IN PROGRESS
14. Hansen, Jared M. and Eric A. Walden “The Influence of Restrictiveness of Use on
Perceived Ethicalness of Unauthorized Consumer File Sharing,” Status: final preparation
for submission to Journal of Consumer Research during summer 2010.
15. Hansen, Jared M. and James Wilcox. “The Impact of Culture on the Growth of Country
Specific Websites,” Status: final preparation for submission to Journal of Business
Research during summer 2010.
16. Hansen, Jared M., Shelby D. Hunt, and James B. Wilcox. “The Combinatory Effects of
Price Promotions on Velocity, Margin, and Leverage,” Status: final preparation for
submission to Marketing Science during fall 2010.
17. Hansen, Jared M., “On the Evolution of Price Wars: The Effects of Market Power, Market
Baskets, and Market Distance on Market Demand.” Status: data analysis stage, targeting
Journal of Marketing during fall 2010.
18. Hansen, Jared M. and Joseph Allen, “Meeting Orientation vs. Market Orientation,” Status:
analyzing data; targeting Journal of Marketing during fall 2010.
19. Hansen, Jared M. and James Oakley, "The Pride Cycle of Retail Management." Status:
collecting data, targeting Journal of Marketing or Journal of Retailing during spring 2011
20. Hansen, Jared M., Jeff Larson, and Chad Allred. “On Modeling Consumers Ability to
Predict Self Purchase Timing of New Product Offerings.” Status: analyzing data, targeting
Marketing Science during spring 2011.
21. Hansen, Jared M. and Benjamin C. Hansen, “A Hoteling Model of the Effects of an
Industry Price War.” Status: data collected, targeting Journal of Marketing Research during
22. Hansen, Jared M. and Bob McDonald, “Market Orientation and Dynamic Capabilities,”
Status: data collected, targeting Journal of Marketing during spring 2011.
23 McDonald, Bob, and Jared Hansen, “Internal vs. External Focus in Dynamic Capabilities,”
Status: collecting data, targeting Journal of Marketing during summer 2011.
1. Hansen, Jared M. and Eric A Walden (November 2010), “On the Downloading vs.
Uploading of Unauthorized Copies of Intellectual Property,” INFORMS, Austin, TX.
2. Hansen, Jared M. and Scott M. Smith (2009), "Effects of Using Highly Interesting
Questions on Data Quality and Survey Completion Rates," Academy of Marketing Science
2009 World Marketing Congress, Oslo Norway.
3. Levin, Michael A., Jared M. Hansen, and Debra Laverie (2009), "Motivations as Predictors
of Value Generated from Marketing - Related Technology Use: Orientations, Moderators,
and Outcomes," American Marketing Association Winter Educators Conference, Tampa,
4. Hansen, Jared M. and Michael J. McGinty, (August 2008), “Building Bridges Between
Consumption Research and Practice: The Role of Metaphors.” American Marketing
Association Summer Educators Conference, San Diego, CA.
5. Levin, Michael A. and Jared M. Hansen (2007), “Motivation and Attitude in Learning with
Technology: An Explatory Study,” Society for Marketing Advances Conference
Proceedings, San Antonio, TX.
6. Hansen, Jared M. and Ronald K. Mitchell (2007), “Toward Competence Retention: A
Framework for the Reconciliation of Organization-Wide Marketing,” AMA Winter
Educators’ Conference Proceedings: Marketing Theory and Applications, 18, 335-336.
7. Levin, Michael A., and Jared M. Hansen (2007), "Motivation and Attitudes in Learning
with Technology," Society for Marketing Advances Conference, San Antonio, TX.
8. Hansen, Jared M., Sumit Raut, and Sanjeev Swami (2006), “Retail Shelf Allocation: A
Comparative Simulation Analysis of Heuristic and Meta-Heuristic Approaches,” 8th
Triennial Academy of Marketing Science/American Collegiate Retailing Association
Retailing Conference Proceedings, 88-93.
9. Godfrey, Paul C., Craig G. Merrill, and Jared M. Hansen (2006), “Corporate Philanthropy
and Shareholder Value: An Event Study Test,” Strategic Management Society Conference,
10. Godfrey, Paul C., Nile A. Hatch, and Jared M. Hansen (2006), “The Dynamics of Social
Responsibility: Processes, Positions, and Paths in the Oil and Gas Industry,” International
Association for Business and Society Conference, Yucaton, Mexico.
11. Godfrey, Paul C., Nile A. Hatch, and Jared M. Hansen (2005), “Corporate Social
Responsibilities: Theory and Evidence,” Academy of Management Summer Conference,
1. Hansen, Jared M (Fall 2010), Business Information Systems and Operations Management
Department Doctoral Research Seminar Series, UNC Charlotte
2. Hansen, Jared M (2009), “Linking Marketing Activities, Accounting Functions, and
Financial Performance: Is Gross Margin Return on Shareholder Investment (GMROSI) the
Missing Link?” Marketing Distinguished Speaker and Colloquium Series, UNC Charlotte.
3. Hansen, Jared M (2008), “Website Diffusion Patterns,” Business Information Systems and
Operations Management Department Doctoral Research Seminar Series, UNC Charlotte
4. Hansen, Jared M (Summer 2007), “Consumer File Sharing,” Business Faculty Guest
Presentation, Brigham Young University
5. Hansen, Jared M (Spring 2007), “Retail Price Promotions,” Marketing Doctoral
Colloquium, Texas Tech University
SERVICE Discipline Based
Ad hoc Reviewing:
Journal of Marketing,
Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science,
Journal of International Business Studies,
Industrial Marketing Management,
AMA Summer & Winter Conferences, Academy of Management
AOM Summer Conference
Reviewer, Virtual Worlds, Pearson Publishing (2009)
Reviewer, Retailing, 6ed., 7ed. (Dunne, Lusch, and Carver), Thompson
UNC Service Activities
Marketing Department Hiring Committee, 2010-2011
College Diversity and Inclusion Council, 2010-2011
Business Administration (College) Doctoral Committee, 2008 to 2011
LDSSA University Club Faculty Advisor, 2008 to present
UNC Research Advising
Doctoral Thesis Committee, Bonnie Johnston (2010)
Mentor, Joseph Allen (2009-2010) Organizational Science PhD
Mentor, Delancy Bennett (2008-2009), preparation for UMass PhD
Conducted research, executive education, and/or consultation for several
industrial goods (e.g., CMCO), manufacturing (e.g., Dow Chemical),
sports/entertainment (Lowes Motor Speedway), retailing (e.g., Lowes),
banking (e.g., Wachovia), technology (e.g., Digis, In2M), collegiate
(e.g., UNC Newspaper), and nonprofit (e.g., Charlotte Mecklenburg
Library System) organizations.
Scoutmaster, Troop 215, Hornets Nest District, Boy Scouts of America
American Marketing Association
Association for Consumer Research
Academy of Management
Corporate Buyer, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. 2000-2004
P&L responsibilities for $600 Million merchandise categories in Stationery dept across
700 SKUs (from several brands, private labels, and licenses) in 3000 stores, including
open to buy & markdowns/exit strategies
Merchandise responsibilities included supplier negotiations (e.g., payment terms, product
shipping locations, packaging, pricing, advertising support), new product (including
brand and license) development, inventory and P&L fiscal management,
modular/plannogram design, circular and other advertising strategy, store seasonal guide
books, product pricing and mark downs, communication to operations group and others
(e.g., satellite broadcasts, emails, presentations at company meetings).
Supply Chain responsibilities included designing timing/distribution strategy for $1
Billion Stationery Back to School season that flowed merchandise differently for 450
stores whose schools open late (after Labor Day) vs. chain
Led team of 8 buyers in department redesign of 20 product categories for 230 small
stores (sq ft <80,000) planograms
Developed 5 year strategic plan for department (e.g., fiscal forecasts, branding strategy)
Led cross-functional teams on segments of company project redesigning company
apparel strategy (e.g., “Plano store” concept--included store layout, flooring, fixtures,
Hunt, Shelby D., Texas Tech University, http://sdh.ba.ttu.edu/
Laverie, Debbie, Texas Tech University, http://dlaverie.ba.ttu.edu/
McDonald, Robert E., Texas Tech University, http://bobmcdonald.ba.ttu.edu/
Swayne, Linda, UNC Charlotte, http://belkcollege.uncc.edu/default.asp?id=71&objId=85