Job Title: Store Director
Reports to: Managing Director
Responsible for: Trading Manager, Hair and Beauty Manager, Maintenance/Security
Manager, Warehouse Manager, Administration Manager, Display
(Dotted line for communication with Personnel Officer and Catering
Key Liaisons: Managing Director/Board/Finance Director/Head of Buying/Group HR &
Reporting directly to the Managing Director and working closely with the Ulster Stores Senior
Management Team, the Store Director will provide vision and leadership in De Gruchy,
driving performance to maximize sales and profitability, through a well merchandised store
and motivated, customer focused teams.
You will be comfortable with constructively challenging and being challenged in equal
What sort of person are we are looking for?
You will be an experienced retail manager, passionate about what you do, with a proven track
record in delivering sales and profit targets, either in a large department store background or
relevant multi-sector areas. Whilst it is important that you can see the bigger picture, the
smaller detail of retail will also be important to you, with the understanding that without the
basics in place success won’t be possible.
You will enjoy leading from the front, thriving on developing and motivating the team to bring
the best out of them. You will provide clear, focused management and your coaching style will
fit naturally with good communication and interpersonal skills.
Interpreting management information to recommend and carry out sound commercial and
trading actions will be as important as the skills required to implement some of the projects
You should feel at home within a strong group management team, welcoming the challenge
as well as the support.
Having a seat on the de Gruchy board and working closely with the managing director
(business owner) and senior management team, you will be thrilled to have a unique
opportunity to truly influence the business’s success.
1. Ensure that sales and profit targets are met by:
(i) Motivating the sales teams to actively sell and give outstanding customer
(ii) Consistently reviewing merchandise, both in store and in the market place
and liaising with the Head of Buying to ensure that de Gruchy always carries
product which exceeds the expectations of its customers.
2. Monitor departmental sales per ft2 and maintain a complete knowledge of stock and
sales performance, planning space so that maximum return is achieved.
3. Deliver key business results and achieve key performance indicators relating to
revenue generation, cost control, customer service and the management of people.
4. Constantly question and challenge the store operation seeking improvements that
deliver lower costs, improved sales and increased profitability.
5. Liaise with Concession Area Managers to ensure that in store concession performance
is maximised and store standards are maintained.
6. Actively coach and develop the management team to reach their full potential, and
ensure that a succession plan is in place and is reviewed on a regular basis.
7. Lead the sales management team and support teams
(maintenance/security/warehouse/accounts) to maximise their performance and deliver
the business objectives.
8. Plan and manage the execution of store refurbishments, within budget, to ensure that
capital expenditure delivers the desired improvements to the customer shopping
experience and return on investment.
9. Inspire the Visual Merchandising and Trading Managers to deliver and maintain
exciting merchandising and layouts within the store.
10. Lead from the front by maintaining a strong personal floor presence, building an
understanding of the store’s customers and what is important to them.
11. Continuously monitor competition and be aware of opportunities and threats.
12. To be public face of de Gruchy participating in the activities of the Jersey business and
local communities to ensure a positive image of the store amongst external
13. Execute the responsibilities of a company director, exercising skill and care and acting
in good faith in the interests of the company.
14. Ensure that the store is compliant with Jersey legislation relating to Health and Safety
and employment, creating a safe and harmonious work environment.
1. Significant previous experience in a quality department store environment or relevant
multi sector areas, with a proven track record in retail management, including store
layout and service standards.
2. Passionate about retail, commercially focused, outgoing, confident and hard working.
3. Experience of the achievement of sales targets (in the range of £5 million - £25 million)
and the management of budgets.
4. Sufficient professional gravitas to provide effective leadership and coaching to your
5. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to influence and build
strong cross functional relationships.
6. A hands on, proactive, floor based approach.
7. IT literate with excellent numerical and analytical skills; a fast learner who can grasp
situations swiftly, generating useful insights and pragmatic ideas.
Ulster Stores Ltd, an independent retail group based in Coleraine, Northern Ireland
comprises 4 department stores, Moores of Coleraine, The White House Portrush, Clare’s of
Llandudno and de Gruchy St. Helier. The group also operates three cookshops and a
specialist sleep website, www.slumberslumber.com.
In November 2006 Ulster Stores acquired de Gruchy, Jersey from Merchant Retail Group.
Merchant operated The Perfume Shop and department stores in the North East of England.
The store occupies a landmark building in a 100% prime pitch in St Helier the main town
within Jersey. Originally developed as a department store, de Gruchy currently trades from
76,000 square feet and is the largest retail outlet in the Channel Islands.
The store trades middle to better end with a number of premium brand exclusives within the
local market and has a turnover of circa £20m. In addition to two in-store restaurants,
departments include menswear, young fashion, fashions, beauty, fashion accessories,
lingerie, footwear, stationery, gifts, luggage, cookshop, linens, soft furnishings, furniture and
electricals. De Gruchy currently employs approx 250 people.
The business was founded in 1810 and is the main department store operator in Jersey. The
store had lacked investment under previous owners but over the last three years has seen
significant refurbishment leading to improved performance in the relevant departments.
Jersey is a major offshore financial services centre and this has long since overtaken the
traditional tourist market and now generates over 50% of the Island’s GDP. The low tax
status has also attracted more high net worth individuals which, coupled with well paid finance
jobs, means that the store is aimed at a more affluent customer.
Jersey has a population of just over 90,000 and is a British Crown Dependency and the
largest of the Channel Islands. Although represented on security and International relations
by the UK it is not part of the United Kingdom and has its own Government. This
administration manages its own tax, welfare and legal system and has its own currency equal
in value to Sterling which is also legal tender. The jurisdiction is outside the EU but chooses
on occasions to enact appropriate EU directives into domestic legislation.
The Islands economy has diversified and developed and is now a major offshore financial
services centre providing well paid jobs with a low tax environment that attracts high net worth
individuals. Whilst the traditional tourist market has diminished there has been significant
recent investment in a number of 4 & 5 star hotels, catering for both the business and leisure
markets. Over the last few years fulfillment for online sales to take advantage of Jersey’s vat
free status has grown significantly.