STUDY QUESTIONS (BLOOD)
1. What type of tissue is blood?
2. List some functions of blood?
3. List some physical characteristics of blood.
4. List and describe the components of blood.
5. Describe the physical characteristics of RBC
6. Describe haemoglobin.
7. Describe how RBC count is kept constant.
8. Define haemopoiesis and give its location.
9. Summarise the RBC life cycle.
10. Describe how WBC count varies.
11. Describe the 2 types of agranular WBC.
12. Describe the 3 types of granular WBC.
13. What is the general normal distribution of WBC.
14. Define leukocytosis..
15. Define leukopenia.
16. Define phagocytosis and briefly describe.
17. Define WBC differential count and list some of its uses.
18. Describe platelets and give its function.
19. Describe thrombopoiesis (and give its location).
20. Describe complete blood count and give its uses.
21. List the features of a good haemostatic response.
22. Features of a good haemostatic response :
23. List the 3 steps of haemostasis.
24. Describe vascular spasm.
25. Describe the platelet plug steps.
26. What are the 2 basic steps of blood clotting.
27. Briefly describe the extrinsic pathway.
28. Briefly describe the intrinsic pathway.
29. Briefly describe the common pathway.
30. Describe the clot retraction step.
31. Describe fibrinolysis and give its significance.
32. What is homeostasis in terms of haemostasis and fibrinolysis?
33. What are blood group antigens made-of?
34. Describe the ABO system – isoantibodies, immunoantibodies, universal donors AND universal
35. Describe the rhesus system - how many groups; Rh antibodies.
36. Describe the haemolytic disease of the new born.