Requirements for Opening a Food Premise by fdh56iuoui


									Exterior Garbage Storage
    •    Except where a daily collection service is provided, garbage and liquid waste shall be placed in a                               Requirements for Opening a Food Premise
         separate room or in a bin with a lid so constructed and maintained as to exclude insects and vermin
         and prevent odours and health hazards on the premise.
                                                                                                                                        The Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit must be notified before any food premise can be
                                                                                                                                        opened in Haliburton County, the City of Kawartha Lakes or Northumberland County.
Sanitary Facilities (Washrooms)
    •    At least one sanitary facility shall be provided for each gender and have a sign clearly indicating the                        The Health Protection and Promotion Act of Ontario requires anyone who intends to commence to
         gender for which it is intended.                                                                                               operate a food premise, to notify the Health Department of their intention to operate.
    •    Every sanitary facility in a food premise shall be equipped with the following:
             § A supply of toilet paper; a constant supply of hot and cold potable running water; a supply of                           The Ontario Food Premises Regulation (O. Reg. 562) under the Health Protection and Promotion Act
                 soap or detergent in a dispenser; a durable, easy-to-clean receptacle for used towels and other                        provides the minimum requirements for operation of a food premise. These requirements have been
                 waste material; and a continuous cloth roller towel in a mechanical device, a supply of paper                          summarized in our brochure “Basic Food Premises Requirements” to help operators fulfill their
                 towels, a supply of clean single service towels or a hot air dryer.                                                    responsibility to prepare, serve, sell safe and wholesome food, in compliance with the regulation.
    •    The number of wash basins, urinals and toilets required in washrooms is regulated under the Ontario
         Building Code. For more information, consult with a Building Department Official in the                                        For any additional questions, please call the Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit toll-free
         Municipality where you intend to operate your food business.                                                                   at 1-866-888-4577 and a Public Health Inspector would be pleased to speak with you.

                                                                                                                                        To obtain a copy of the Ontario Food Premises Regulation (Reg. 562), please contact the Ontario
 Phone Numbers for Municipal Offices in Northumberland and Haliburton Counties                                                          Government Book Store (1-800-668-9938). A copy of the regulation can also be accessed on-line at
                       and the City of Kawartha Lakes                                                                         , search alphabetically under the Health Protection and Promotion Act, then
                                                                                                                                        under the Food Premises Regulation (Reg. 562).
     The Municipality of Port Hope                                         City of Kawartha Lakes
     (905) 885-4544                                                        (705) 324-9411
                                                                                                                                           Additional legislation which may apply to a food premise could include:
                                                                           Toll-free: 1-888-822-2225
     The Corporation of the Town of Cobourg
                                                                           (with Service Centres in Coboconk, Kirkfield,
     (905) 372-4301
                                                                           Lindsay, Bethany, Omemee and Bobcayeon)                             v Ontario Fire Code (Municipal Fire Department)
                                                                                                                                               v Ontario Building Code (Municipal Building Department)
     The Corporation of the Township of Hamilton
     (905) 342-2810
                                                                           Algonquin Highlands                                                   Ø Examples of requirements include:
                                                                           (705) 489-2379                                                           § Exhaust systems over cooking equipment
     The Corporation of the Township of Alnwick/
                                                                           Dysart et al                                                             § Plumbing
                                                                           (705) 457-1740                                                           § Lighting of facility with specific lux levels
     (905) 349-2822                                                                                                                                 § Grease traps
                                                                           Highlands East                                                           § Washrooms
     Township of Cramahe
                                                                           (705) 448-2981                                                      v Local Municipal by-laws (e.g. garbage rooms/areas, zoning)
     (905) 355-2821
     Toll-free: 1-877-272-4263                                             Minden Hills                                                        v Alcohol Licensing/Liquor Licence Act
                                                                           (705) 286-1260                                                      v Smoke-Free Ontario Act
     Municipality of Brighton                                                                                                                       § Ensure the premise complies with the Provincial SFOA. Information may be obtained
     (613) 475-0670                                                                                                                                     by calling the Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit toll-free at
     Municipality of Trent Hills                                                                                                                        1-866-888-4577 and a Tobacco Control Officer would be pleased to speak with you.
     (705) 653-1900
                                                                                                                                        Other considerations before opening and operating a food premise:

                                                                                                                                           v Private Sewage Disposal
                                                                                   1-866-888-4577                    Ø Must comply with Part 8 of the Ontario Building Code.
                                                                                                                                             Ø An application must be made to the local Health Unit office to verify that the existing private
                                                                                                                                                sewage disposal system performance level is not adversely affected. A permit may be required
 Box 127, 35 Alice St.   Box 449, 22 Doxsee Ave. S.   Box 570, 191 Highland St., # 301    108 Angeline St. S.      200 Rose Glen Rd.            for a change of use, alteration, repair or construction of a new system.
Brighton, ON K0K 1H0     Campbellford, ON K0L 1L0        Haliburton, ON K0M 1S0          Lindsay, ON K9V 3L5    Port Hope, ON L1A 3V6
    (613) 475-0933            (705) 653-1550                  (705) 457-1391                (705) 324-3569           (905) 885-9100             § If you are not the owner of the property, a letter of authorization from the owner to release
 Fax: (613) 475-1455        Fax: (705) 653-3114            Fax: (705) 457-1336            Fax: (705) 324-0455     Fax: (905) 885-9551               information is required.
Printed March 2007
   v Well Water                                                                                               Ventilation
     Ø If private well water is to be used, ensure it is safe/potable. Bacterial levels are safe when            •    Ventilation shall be maintained so that it does not become a health hazard. The specific ventilation
        bacterial water results are Total Coliform - 0 and E. coli - 0.                                               requirements for washrooms and food preparation areas are regulated under the Ontario Building
        § An accredited laboratory will have to be used to analyze the water. A list of accredited                    Code; consult with a Building Department Official at the Municipal Office where you intend to
            laboratories can be obtained from the Ministry of Environment or accessed on-line at                      operate your food business for more information.
        § The Public Health Laboratory will only analyze drinking water samples for private citizens,         Equipment
                                                                                                                 •    Any article or piece of equipment used in the kitchen shall be of sound and tight construction; kept in
                                                                                                                      good repair; and of such form and material that it can be readily cleaned and sanitized.
   v Home Food Preparation
                                                                                                                 •    Equipment and utensils with which food comes in direct contact shall be corrosion-resistant, non-
     Ø A completely separate kitchen with a separate entrance from the private residence is required.
                                                                                                                      toxic and free from cracks, crevices and open seams.
       All applicable legislation will apply. Contact a Public Health Inspector of the local Health Unit
                                                                                                                 •    All food shall be stored on racks, shelves or pallets no less than 15 cm (6”) above the floor.
       and the Municpal Office.
                                                                                                                 •    A dipper-well with potable running water shall be provided for storing dispensing scoops used to
                                                                                                                      serve ice cream, frozen confections or desserts. Scoop storage may also be approved by the insepctor
   v Safe Food Handling
                                                                                                                      in any other manner that will prevent bacterial growth.
     Ø The operator should consider becoming a certified food handler.
                                                                                                                 •    Enclosed protective containers, cabinets or shields shall be provided to protect all hazardous food
        § Contact the local Health Unit office to find out when the next safe food-handling course is
                                                                                                                      displayed for sale or service.
            being offered.
        § You can also access the Health Unit’s website at
            master.asp?id=500, which lists the times and locations for all the upcoming courses.
                                                                                                                 •    A supply of potable water adequate for the operation of the premise shall be provided.
Once you have determined the location of the food premise you will be operating, please complete the             •    Hot and cold running water under pressure shall be provided in areas where food is processed,
application titled “Notification of Food Premises Opening”. A copy of floor plans must be submitted for               prepared or manufactured or utensils are washed.
the kitchen/food preparation area with an equipment list/legend and a seating plan. Please note that
recommendations for a liquor licence approval from this Agency will not be granted based on the floor plan    Sinks
alone. Our recommendation will be provided once the food premise is built according to the floor plan            •    A separate handwashing basin shall be provided in a convenient location in each food preparation
submitted and meets the minimum requirements as set out in Regulation 562.                                            area, together with supplies of hot and cold water, soap or detergent in a dispenser and clean single-
                                                                                                                      service towels.
                                                                                                                 •    A three-compartment sink of sufficient size or an approved commercial dishwasher with an accurate
                            Basic Food Premises Requirements
                                                                                                                      temperature gauge is required for cleaning/sanitizing multi-use utensils/dishware (forks, plates, etc.).
                                                                                                                 •    If patrons are provided only with single-service articles (disposable forks, plates, etc.), a two-
The following information is an outline of some requirements in the Ontario Food Premises                             compartment sink of sufficient size is required for cleaning/sanitizing utensils/equipment.
Regulation (O. Reg. 562). For the complete requirements please refer to the Regulation.                          •    In addition to handwashing basins and sinks to wash and sanitize utensils, a food preparation sink
                                                                                                                      may be required, depending on the nature of the food preparation. For more information, consult
Building Maintenance                                                                                                  with a Building Department Official or a Plumbing Inspector of the Municipality where you intend to
   •   A food premise shall be operated and maintained such that it does not pose a health hazard.                    operate your food business.
   •   Any area where food is present cannot be used for sleeping purposes.                                      •    A separate mop sink is recommended.
   •   Storage space must be provided for employee clothing.
   •   The floors in food preparation and dishwashing areas must be tight, smooth, and non-absorbent.         Temperature And Storage
   •   The walls and ceilings in food premises shall be maintained in a sanitary condition so that they can      •    Adequate refrigeration facilities are required for keeping cold foods at 4°C or lower.
       be readily cleaned.                                                                                       •    Frozen foods shall be maintained at -18°C or lower until sold or prepared for use.
                                                                                                                 •    Adequate facilities are required for keeping hazardous hot foods at 60°C or higher.
Lighting                                                                                                         •    An accurate indicating thermometer is required in each temperature-controlled room/compartment
   •   Adequate lighting must be maintained during all hours of operation of a food premise. The                      used for the storage of hazardous foods.
       requirements for the level of illumination are regulated under the Ontario Building Code. For more        •    All food shall be cooked to reach an internal temperature for at least 15 seconds in accordance with
       information, consult with a Building Department Official at the Municipal Office where you intend              Regulation 562, Section 33.
       to operate your food business.                                                                            •    Accurate indicating probe thermometers that can be easily read are required to measure the internal
                                                                                                                      temperature of hazardous foods.

To top