UNIVERSITY OF PRETORIA
CURRICULUM VITAE: E PRETORIUS
EVALUATION DATE: (Office use only)
1. BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCH
1.1 GENERAL INFORMATION
First names Etheresia ID Number 6811260128081
Citizenship South African Title Prof Female
Place of birth Date of birth
Population group White
012 319 2533 Direct 012 319 2240
Date of appointment
June 1999 Permanent full-time
1.2 ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS OBTAINED
Degree/ Higher education
Field of study institution Year Distinctions
Natural Sciences University of Jan
BSc (Hons) Natural Sciences University of Dec Cum Laude
MSc Natural Sciences University of 1993
Biological UP 1999
Special Needs UP 2003 Cum Laude
Postgraduate education diploma
1.3 WORK EXPERIENCE TO DATE
Name of employer Capacity and/or type of work
(mm//yy to mm//yy)
Lecturer Jan 1997 to May 1999
Lecturer May 1999 to Dec 2000
Senior lecturer Jan 2001 to Dec 2002
Associate professor Jan 2003 to 2007
UP Professor Jan 2008 till present
2. TEACHING ACTIVITIES
2.1 Courses presented
Course Level (e.g. second year, Masters)
(Yes or No)
BSc ANA 126 First year No
BSc ANA 226 Second year No
BSc ANA 214 Second year Yes
BSc ANA 324 Third year Yes
BSc ANA 328 (part of the
Third year Yes
Block 1 (Histology) First year No
Block 3 (Histology) Second year No
Block 4 (Histology) Second year No
Block 11 (Histology) Fourth year No
Block 13 (Histology) Fourth year No
BSc (Hons) Cell Biology
Fourth year Yes
BSc (Hons) Neuro-
anatomy (part of the
Fourth year Yes
2.2 Other education and pedagogic courses presented
Course Year Institution
3. TEACHING OUTPUTS
3.1 Educational publications and products
Provide full details including full titles, names of all the authors, publishers, dates,
page numbers etc. Specify your exact contribution to the publications or products.
Note that the publications here should be of a didactic nature e.g. articles in
educational publications, papers presented at educational conferences, etc. A
summary and description of educational products developed can be provided (e.g.
study guides, learning materials, multimedia productions (CDs), educational videos,
web materials, text books etc.) relevant to university education.
CD for Histology students
CD for Sports Medicine
Study guides for: ANA 126; 226; 214; 324; 328
Help with translation of Histology (Coetzee et al.) text book from Afrikaans to
4. OTHER TEACHING CONTRIBUTIONS
4.1 Membership of national and international bodies
List all the teaching associations or societies to which you belong. Name your
involvement, e.g. honorary member, founder member, full member, chairman,
4.2 Visits to local and overseas universities as guest professor or lecturer in regard
4.3 Participation in national and international teaching associations, bodies,
List all memberships of associations and bodies, as well as teaching committees (e.g.
curriculum and assessment committees, teaching review committees, etc) in which
you participate. Name the type and extent of participation.
5. POSTGRADUATE SUPERVISION
5.1 Supervision or co-supervision of BSc (Hons) specialization in Cell Biology who have
Year Name of student
5.2 Supervision or co-supervision of BSc Hons students who are currently busy with BSc
Year Name of student
5.3 Supervision or co-supervision of students who have completed degrees
Degree and date
Name of student Supervisor supervisor( of studies
Linda Greyling MSc 2002 Prof JH E Pretorius 5
Petro Humphries MSc 2003 E Pretorius 2
Nana Motsoane (Cum MSc 2004 E Pretorius MJ Bester 3
Jorika Marx (cum laude)
A2S3 bronze medal 2006:
best MSc at the MSc 2005 E Pretorius MJ Bester 2
University of Pretoria
A da Silva thesis (cum
MSc 2005 E Pretorius MJ Bester 2
M Claassen MSc 2006 E Pretorius 2
E Smit (Cum Laude) MSc 2006 E Pretorius MJ Bester 2
AA Fouché MSc 2007 E Pretorius MJ Bester 6
YScholtz MSc 2007 M Steyn E Pretorius 2
B Boca PhD 2007 E Pretorius Z 6
J van Tonder MSc 2007 E Pretorius MJ Bester 2
E Pretorius 4
P Humphries PhD 2007
E Pretorius 1
HM Oberholzer (Cum MSc 2008
E Pretorius 2
Q Wessels MSc 2008
E Pretorius MJ Bester
M Potgieter MSc 2008 1
M van der Zeyden MSc 2009 E Pretorius MJ Bester 4
MJ Bester 3
Okobi Ekpo PhD 2008 E Pretorius
H Steyn MSc 2009 E Pretorius 3
Wendy J van der Spuy MSc 2010 E Pretorius 1
HM Oberholzer PhD March 2010 E Pretorius 2
M Potgieter PhD March 2010 E Pretorius 2
WA Vieira MSc September 2010 E Pretorius 1
QW Wessels PhD April 2011 E Pretorius 3
J Olivier MSc September 2011 E Pretorius 4
A de Lange MSc September 2011 E Pretorius 1
MJ Engelbrecht MSc September 2011 E Pretorius 1
5.4 Current post-graduate MSc and PhD students
Name of Degree Co- Year of
student enrolled for supervisor registration
F Hoogendijk MSc infection E Pretorius 2004
C Robinson MSc oxidant E Pretorius MJ Bester 2006
M van der Walt MSc Comparison of E Pretorius 2008
W Reid MSc Effect of Wi-Fi E Pretorius 2009
on rat animal
A Lensink MSc Laboratory E Pretorius 2010
G Dempsey MSc Laboratory E Pretorius HM 2010
WJ van der PhD E Pretorius 2010
Jenny du Plooy MSc Platelets and E Pretorius 2011
6. RESEARCH FUNDING
6.1 Obtaining research funds (Optional)
Origin of research
funds (e.g. contract
Title of research project or (R) (Optional -
research, THRIP, Duration
programme exact amounts not
Roche products PhD project Brenda Boca 2001 to R200 000
Highveld Biological Investigating parameters 2001 R10 000
influencing the k-526 cell line: a
cell culture assay for potential
application to water quality
assessment in South Africa.
2002 R20 000
The influence of different agents 2000 R3000
on the nuclear decondensation
Du Buisson and Partners ability and morphology of normal
as well as infertile human
University of Groningen Funding of BSc Hons project 2002 R30 000
Research into traditional asthma 2005 – R325 000
Ontario Cancer Institute 3 BSc (Hons) projects 2002 and R30 000
University of Porto, Cocaine and its effects on 2002 R10 000
Portugal cellular function
UCB Pharma Canova research 2006/2007 R60 000
Canova South Africa Canova research 2008 R60 000
Southern Medical Burn wound research 2008 R50 000
Southern Medical Burn wound research 2010 R20 000
MRC 3 year grant Thrombosis research 2010 R84 500
7. RESEARCH OUTPUTS
7.1 Publications in peer-reviewed or refereed journals
1. E Pretorius and MJ Bester. 2000. What every health worker should know: the allergic
potential of surgical gloves. The South African Journal of Epidemiology and Infection.
2. E Pretorius and FC Clarke. 2000. Geometric morphometric analysis of the male and
female body shape of Hyalomma truncatum and H. marginatum rufipes (Acari: Ixodidae).
International Journal of Acarology 26: 229 – 238.
3. E Pretorius and MJ Bester. 2000. Biological system to assess the potential toxicity of
surgical gloves. South African Journal of Science 96: 540 and 566.
4. E Pretorius and CH Scholtz. 2001. Geometric Morphometrics and the analysis of higher
taxa: a case study based on the metendosternite of the Scarabaeoidea (Coleoptera).
Biological journal of the Linnaean Society 74(1): 35-50.
5. E Pretorius, K Philips and CH Scholtz. 2001. Geometric morphometrics, the
metendosternite and its uses in phylogenetics of the Scarabaeinae (Coleoptera). Elytron
14: 119 – 140.
6. E Pretorius, NA Motsoane and MJ Bester. 2001. Evaluation of the biological safety of
condoms using an in vitro cell culture method. South African Medical Journal 91: 51.
7. NV Nkomo, E Pretorius and MJ Bester. 2001. Prevalence of latex allergies amongst a
group of South African dentists. South African Dental Journal. 56: 381-382.
8. E Pretorius, MJ Bester and PJ Becker 2001. Latex Allergy within a South African
population of Health Care Professionals: a Need for Guidelines. The South African
Journal of Epidemiology and Infection. 16: 46-70.
9. LL Meyer, E Pretorius and JM Whitcutt 2001. Investigating parameters influencing the k-
562 cell line: a cytotoxicity assay for potential application to water quality assessment.
The South African Journal of Epidemiology and Infection. 16: 77-81.
10. E Pretorius and FC Clarke 2001. Geometric morphometric analysis of the male and
female body shape of Amblyomma gemma, A. variegatum and A. hebraeum.
International Journal of Acarology 27 (4): 271-279.
11. NA Motsoane, E Pretorius and MJ Bester. 2001. Evaluation of the biological safety of
condoms using an in vitro cell culture method. Analytical and Cellular Pathology. 23: 51-
12. E Pretorius. 2002. Intraocular lenses and possible side effects. The South African
Optometrist 61 (1): 15-22.
13. E Pretorius, H Naudé and CJ van Vuuren. 2002. Can cultural behavior have a negative
impact on the development of visual integration pathways? Early Child Development and
Care. 172(2): 173-181.
14. E Pretorius 2002. Basic principles of allergic reactions. South African Dental Journal. 57:
15. E Pretorius, H. Naudé and PJ Becker 2002. Can excess bilirubin levels cause learning
difficulties? Early Child Development and Care. 172 (4): 391-404.
16. E Pretorius, H Naudé and E du Plessis. 2002. The importance of determining vision
functioning in remedial teaching. The South African Optometrist. 61 (3): 101 – 103.
17. E Pretorius and H Naudé 2002. The use of Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) in
identifying Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Acta Criminologica. 15 (3): 111 – 117.
18. AN van Schoor, E Pretorius, N Lizamore and JH Meiring. 2002. Prevalence of latex
allergies among medical and dental students with minimum pervious latex exposure.
The South African Journal of Epidemiology and Infection. 17: 34-35.
19. E Pretorius. 2002. Allergic reactions caused by dental restorative products. South
African Dental Journal 57: 239-242.
20. BM Boca, E Pretorius, R Gochin, R Chapoullie and Z Apostolides. 2002. An overview on
the validation approach for moist heat sterilization (Part 1). Pharmaceutical Technology.
26 (9): 62 –70.
21. BM Boca, E Pretorius, R Gochin, R Chapoullie and Z Apostolides. 2002. An overview on
the validation approach for moist heat sterilization (Part 2). Pharmaceutical Technology.
26(10): 96 – 112.
22. E Pretorius and H Naudé. 2002. A culture in transition: Poor reading and writing ability
among children in South African townships. Early Child Development and Care. 172 (5),
439 – 449.
23. E Pretorius and H Naudé. 2002. Results from an empirical study: the impact of carrying a
child on the back on the development of visual integration pathways. Early Child
Development and Care. 172 (6): 585-594.
24. H Naudé and E Pretorius. 2002. Addressing educational strategies for children with
HIV/AIDS. Journal of Research in Special Educational Needs. November. Electronic –
Journal Vol 2 (3): www.nasen.uk.com
25. H Naudé and E Pretorius. 2002. The quest for an instructional delivery framework for
children with Gerstmann’s syndrome. Early Child Development and Care. 172 (6): 643-
26. E Pretorius and H Naudé. 2002. Cannabis use in South Africa. SAMJ.92 (12): 927 - 928
27. H Naudé and E Pretorius. 2003. Investigating the applicability of the ‘hue and cry’
requirement within the framework of psychological testimony regarding criminal sexual
behavior. Acta Criminologica. 16(1): 45 – 62.
28. H Naudé, E Pretorius and J Viljoen. 2003. The impact of impoverished language
development on preschoolers’ readiness-to-learn during the foundation phase. Early
Child Development and Care. 173: 271 – 292.
29. H Naudé, E Pretorius and S Vandeyar. 2003. Teacher professionalism – an innovative
programme for teaching mathematics to foundation level learners with limited language
proficiency. Early Child Development and Care. 173: 293 – 316.
30. H Naudé and E Pretorius. 2003. Proposing an instructional framework for children with
HIV/AIDS. British Journal of Special Education. 30:138-143.
31. MJ Bester, F Erasmus and E Pretorius. 2003. Presenting an in vitro cell culture model to
determine the cytotoxic affect of benzoyl peroxide vapours. SADJ. 58 183-188.
32. H Naudé and E Pretorius. 2003. A diagnostic profile of Gerstmann’s syndrome: a case
study. Early Child Development and Care. 173 (5): 519-526.
33. E Pretorius and H Naudé. 2003. Dental amalgam: should dentists be concerned? SADJ.
58 (10): 366 – 369.
34. H Naudé and E Pretorius. 2003. Can Herpes simplex virus encephalitis cause aphasia?
Early Child Development and Care. 173 (6): 669-679.
35. H Naudé and E Pretorius. 2003. Investigating the effects of asthma medication on the
cognitive and psychosocial functioning of primary school children with asthma. Early
Child Development and Care. 173 (6): 699-709.
36. NA Motsoane, MJ Bester, E Pretorius and PJ Becker. 2003. An in vitro study of biological
safety of condoms and their additives. Human and Experimental Toxicology. 22: 659-
37. H Naudé, CS. du Preez and E Pretorius. 2003. The impact of child abuse as traumatic
environmental stressor on the plasticity of intelligence. Child Abuse Research in South
Africa. 4(2): 10-26.
38. E Pretorius and H Naudé. 2003. Rohypnol: The drug of choice for date rape. The South
African Journal of Epidemiology and Infection. 18 (4): 109 – 112.
39. TK Philips, E Pretorius, CH Scholtz. 2004. A phylogenetic analysis of dung beetles
(Scarabaeinae: Scarabaeidae): unrolling an evolutionary history. Invertebrate
Systematics. 18: 53-88.
40. E Pretorius. 2004. Asthma medication may influence the psychological functioning of
children. Medical Hypothesis. 63(3): 409-413.
41. M Steyn, E Pretorius and L Hutten. 2004. Geometric morphometric analysis of the
greater sciatic notch in South Africans. HOMO 54 (3): 197-206.
42. J. Marx and E. Pretorius. 2004. Asthma, a risk factor for dental caries. SADJ 59 (8): 274-
43. AN van Schoor, H Naudé and M van Rensburg, E Pretorius and JM Boon. 2004.
Permanent temporal lobe lesions in a child who suffered from Herpes simplex virus
encephalitis: a case study. Early Child Development and Care. 174(5): 487-500.
44. H. Naudé, C.S. du Preez and E. Pretorius. 2004. Executive Emotional System
Disruption As Causal Agent In Frontal Lobishness Among Abused Children. Early Child
Development and Care. 174(5): 437-460.
45. E. Pretorius. 2004. Corticosteroids, depression and the role of serotonin. Reviews in
the Neurosciences.15 (2): 109-116.
46. E. Pretorius and H. Naudé. 2004. Should dagga be legalized? The South African Journal
of Epidemiology and Infection. 19 (2):69-74.
47. E. Pretorius and J Marx. 2004. Direct and Indirect effects of corticosteroids on astrocyte
functioning. Reviews in the Neurosciences 15 (2): 199-207.
48. CS du Preez, H Naudé, E Pretorius. 2004. The influence of child neglect on language
development. CARSA 5(2) 25-30.
49. E. Pretorius. 2005. Asthma medication and the role of serotonin in the development of
cognitive and psychological difficulties. Early Child Development and Care. 175 (2): 139-
50. H. Naudé, E. Pretorius, A.N. van Schoor. 2005. Neurological Integration As It Relates To
Learning Among Children Who Presented With Excess Bilirubin Levels At Birth. British
Journal of Developmental Disabilities. 51: 41-56.
51. E. Pretorius. 2005. Using geometric morphometrics to investigate wing dimorphism in
males and females of Hymenoptera – a case study based on the genus Tachysphex
(Sphecidae: Larrinae). Australian Journal of Entomology. 44:113-121.
52. A. C. Oettlé, E. Pretorius and M. Steyn. (2005) Geometric Morphometric Analysis of
Mandibular Ramus Flexure. American Journal of Physical Anthropology 138 (3): 623-
53. W. Potgieter, J.H. Meiring, J.M. Boon, E. Pretorius, J.P. Pretorius, P.J. Becker. 2005.
Mandibular landmarks as an aid in minimizing injury to the marginal mandibular branch –
a metric and geometric anatomical study. Clinical Anatomy. 18: 171-178.
54. E. Pretorius, H. Naudé and U. Pretorius. 2005. Training the hippocampus and amygdala
of preschool children by means of priming tasks: should parents rather focus on learning
of facts than reading fairytales? Early Child Development and Care. 175 (4): 303-312.
55. E. Pretorius, H. Naudé, C. Ribbens, M.C. Bosman. 2005. Discussing Pelizaeus-
Merzbacher Disease, a developmental disorder affecting myelin formation in the nervous
system. Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities. 17(2): 173-183.
56. B.M. Boca, Z. Apostolides, E. Pretorius. 2005. Cleaning validation for dual active
ingredient: anti-malarial drug. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis. 37(3):
57. J. Marx, E. Pretorius, W. Espag, M.J. Bester 2005. Urginea sanguinea: medical wonder
or death in disguise? Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology 20: 26-34.
58. E. Pretorius and M.S. Bornman. 2005. Estrogen, endocrine disrupters and their non-
genomic function: a review of current opinions. South African Journal of Science
59. E. Pretorius and M.S. Bornman. 2005. Calcium-mediated aponecrosis play a central role
in the pathogenesis of estrogenic chemical-induced neurotoxicity. Medical Hypotheses
60. P. Humphries, E. Pretorius and J. M. Whitcutt. 2005. Determining water quality in South
Africa: a review of available bioassays South African Journal of Science 101: 330-334.
61. F.C. Clarke and E. Pretorius. 2005. A comparison of geometric morphometric analysis
and cross-breeding as methods to determine relatedness in three Amblyomma species
(Acari: Ixodidae). International Journal of Acarology 31 (4): 393-405.
62. E. Pretorius, J. Marx. 2005. Datura stramonium, a traditional asthma remedy, may cause
foetal neurotoxicity due to nicotinic and muscarinic receptors dysfunction. South African
Journal of Science. 101:495-496.
63. J. Marx, H. Naudé, E Pretorius. 2006. Hypo- and hypervitaminosis A - Involvement in
foetal nervous system development and post-natal sensorimotor functioning. The British
Journal of Developmental Disabilities 102:47-64.
64. E. Pretorius, M. Steyn, Y. Scholtz. 2006. An Investigation into the Usability of Geometric
Morphometric Analysis in Assessment of Sexual Dimorphism. American Journal of
Physical Anthropology 129 (1): 64-70. (Second place in Faculty: best publication 2006;:
65. J. Marx, E. Pretorius, M.S. Bornman. The neurotoxic effects of prenatal cardiac glycoside
exposure: a hypothesis. Neurotoxicology and Teratology. 28(1):135-43.
66. J. Marx, E. Pretorius, M.J. Bester. 2006. Effects of Urginea sanguinea, a traditional
asthma remedy, on embryo neuronal development. Journal of Ethnopharmacology 104:
315-321. 76 ( winner in Faculty: best publication 2006: young researcher: non-clinical)
67. R. Britz, M. J. Bester, A. da Silva, N. A. Motsoane, J. Marx, H. Naudé and E. Pretorius.
2006.Piracetam: its possible mode of action in children with learning disabilities and its
effect on in vitro cell growth. Earl Child Development and Care. 176: 285–298.
68. C.F. Hoogendijk, W.F.P. van Heerden, E. Pretorius, H.F. Vismer and J.F. Jacobs. 2006.
Rhino-orbitocerebral Entomophthoramycosis. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 35: 277-
69. E. Pretorius, J. Marx. 2006. Datura stramonium in asthma treatment and possible effects
on prenatal development. Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology. 21: 331-337.
70. C.F. Hoogendijk and E. Pretorius. 2006. Cavernous sinus anatomy as a basis for
interpretation of the clinical picture and radiological investigations in a case of
Entomophthorales infection. Clinical Anatomy, 19(6):535-539.
71. C.F.Hoogendijk, E.Pretorius, W van Heerden, J Marx, A Imhof and M Schneemann.
2006. Detection of Villous Conidia of Conidiobolus coronatus in a blood sample by
Scanning Electron Microscopy investigation. Ultrastructural Pathology 30(1):53-8. (Third
place in Faculty: best publication 2006; young researchers: clinical)
72. E. Pretorius, S. Briedenhann, J. Marx, R.C. Franz. 2006. Structural changes in the fibrin
network of a Pretoria family with dysfibrinogenaemia: a scanning electron microscopical
study. Ultrastructural Pathology 30(3):167-76 ( winner in Faculty: best publication 2006:
73. E Pretorius, B Wallner, J Marx. Cortisol resistance in conditions like asthma and the
involvement of 11 -hsd-2: a hypothesis. Hormone and Metabolic Research 38: 368 –
74. C Strydom, C Robinson, E Pretorius, JM Whitcutt, J Marx, MS Bornman. 2006. The
effect of selected metals on the central metabolic pathways in biology. Water SA. 32(4):
75. E Pretorius, MS Bornman, J Marx, E Smit, CF van der Merwe. 2006. Ultrastructural
effects of low dosage endocrine disrupter chemicals on neural cells of the chicken
embryo model. Hormone and Metabolic Research 38: 639-649.
76. CF Hoogendijk, J Marx, EM Honey, E Pretorius, and AL Christianson. 2006.
Ultrastructural investigation of Zimmermann-Laband Syndrome. Ultrastructural
Pathology 30 (6): 423 – 426.
77. A.A. da Silva, M.J. Bester and E. Pretorius. 2007. Effects of mandrax and cannabis on
the cellular function of chick embryonic neurons. Environmental Toxicology and
Pharmacology 23: 82-88.
78. E. Pretorius, H. Naudé, M.J. Bester and A.A. da Silva. The White Death: Investigating
the physical and psychological effects of Cocaine Dependence and Abuse. The South
African Journal of Epidemiology and Infection. (Accepted for publication).
79. H. Naudé, J. Marx, E. Pretorius, N. Hislop-Esterhuyzen. 2007. Evidence of early
childhood defects due to prenatal over-exposure to vitamin a: a case study. Early Child
Development and Care 177(3): 235-253.
80. M Mutanen and E Pretorius. 2007. Subjective Visual Evaluation versus Traditional and
Geometric Morphometrics in Species Delimitation: A Comparison on Moth Genitalia.
Systematic Entomology 32: 371-386.
81. M Claassen, H Naudé, E Pretorius and MC Bosman 2007. The contribution of prenatal
stress to the pathogenesis of autism as a neurobiological developmental disorder – a
dizygotic twin study. Early Child Development and Care 177: 1-25.
82. E. Pretorius, E, Briedenhann, S, Marx J, Smit E, van der Merwe CF, Pieters M, Franz
RC. 2007. Ultra-structural comparison of the morphology of three different platelet and
fibrin fiber preparations. Anatomical Record. 290: 188 – 198.
83. E Smit, E Pretorius. 2007. Combining the gold chloride and toluidine blue stains to
investigate chick embryo neural tissue. Journal of Microscopy 226: 26-32.
84. E Pretorius, P Humphries, OE Ekpo, E Smit, CF van der Merwe. 2007. Comparative
Ultrastructural Analyses of Mouse, Rabbit and Human Platelets and Fibrin Networks.
Microscopy, Research and Technique 70(9): 823-827. http://0-
85. E Pretorius, OE Ekpo, E Smit. 2007. Comparative ultrastructural analyses of platelets
and fibrin networks using the murine model of asthma. Experimental and Toxicologic
Pathology 59 (2): 105-114.
86. Robb, L, Marx J., Steenkamp G, van Heerden WFP, Pretorius E. 2007.Scanning
Electron Microscopic Study of the Dentinal Tubules in Dog Canine Teeth. Journal of
Veterinary Dentistry ;24(2):86-89.
87. MS Bornman, E Pretorius, J Marx, E Smit, CF van der Merwe. 2007. Ultrastructural
effects of DDT, DDD and DDE on neural cells of the chicken embryo model.
Environmental Toxicology 22, (3): 328 – 336.
88. E Pretorius and P Humphries. 2007. Ultrastructural changes to rabbit fibrin and platelets
due to aspartame. Ultrastructural Pathology 31(2):77-83.
89. O.E. Ekpo, E. Pretorius. 2007 Possible anti-inflammatory uses for the plant Euphorbia
hirta. SAJS 103: 201-203.
90. P Humphries,E Pretorius, H Naudé. 2008. Direct and indirect cellular effects of aspartame on the
brain. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 62: 451-462.
91. MB Boca, E Pretorius, C Kgajeb, Z Apostolides. Assessment of MEKC 2008. suitability for residue
drug monitoring on pharmaceutical manufacturing equipment. Journal of
Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 46: 631-638.
92. P. Humphries, E. Smit, E. Pretorius. 2008. Ultrastructural morphology of platelets and fibrin
networks of lactating and non-pregnant rabbits. Anatomia, Histologia, Embryologia 37: 285–288.
93. E Pretorius, HM Oberholzer E Smit. 2008. Ultrastructure of activated mouse platelets: a qualitative
scanning electron microscopy study. Microscopy Research and Technique 71(6): 413-417. http://0-
94. E Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, E Smit, E Steyn, S Briedenhann, RC Franz. 2008. Ultrastructural
changes in platelet aggregates of HIV patients: a scanning electron microscopy study.
Ultrastructural Pathology 32:3: 75-79.
95. E Smit, E Pretorius, R Anderson, J Oommen, M. Potjo. 2008. Differentiation of human monocytes in
vitro following exposure to Canova in the absence of cytokines. Ultrastructural Pathology 32: 147-
96. QB Wessels and E Pretorius. 2008. Collagen based tissue engineering scaffold for dermal
regeneration. SAJS 104: 513-516.
97. HM Oberholzer, E Pretorius, E Smit, OE Ekpo, P Humphries, RE Auer. 2008. Investigating the effect
of Withania somnifera, selenium and hydrocortisone on blood count and bronchial lavage of
experimental asthmatic BALB/c mice. Scandinavian Journal of Laboratory Animal Science 34 (4):
98. O.E Ekpo, E. Pretorius. 2008. Using the BALB/c asthmatic mouse model to investigate the effects of
hydrocortisone and an herbal asthma medicine on animal weight. Scandinavian Journal of
Laboratory Animal Science 35(4):265-280.
99. E Pretorius, P Bronkhorst, S Briedenhann, E Smit, RC Franz. 2009. Comparisons of the fibrin
networks during pregnancy, non-pregnancy and pregnancy during dysfibrinogenaemia using the
scanning electron microscope. Blood, Coagulation and Fibrinolysis 20(1):12-16.
100. P Humphries and E Pretorius. Addressing comments by JD Fernstrom. 2009. European Journal of
Clinical Nutrition 63: 695-698.
101. E. Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, E. Smit. 2009. Ultrastructure of platelets and fibrin networks of
asthmatic mice exposed to selenium and Withania somnifera. Anatomical Science International
102. E Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, E Smit, E Steyn, S Briedenhann, RC Franz. 2009. Investigating the
ultrastructure of platelets of HIV patients treated with the immuno-regulator, Canova: a qualitative
scanning electron microscopy study. Histology and Histopathology 24: 399-405.
103. E Pretorius and HM Oberholzer. 2009.Ultrastructural changes of platelets and fibrin networks in
human asthma: a qualitative case study. Blood, Coagulation and Fibrinolysis 20(2):146-149.
104. E. Pretorius, WA Vieira, N Oberholzer and REJ Auer. 2009. Comparative scanning electron
microscopy of platelets and fibrin networks of humans and different animals. International Journal of
105. AC Oettlé, E Pretorius, M Steyn. 2009. Geometric morphometric analysis of the use of mandibular
gonial eversion in sex determination. HOMO 60(1):29-43.
106. M Potgieter, E Pretorius, H M Oberholzer. 2009. Qualitative electron microscopic analysis of
cultured chick embryonic cardiac and skeletal muscle cells: the cellular effect of coenzyme q10
after exposure to triton-x 100. Ultrastructural Pathology 33: 93-101.
107. E Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, PJ Becker. 2009. Comparing the Cytotoxic Potential of Withania
somnifera Water and Methanol Extracts. African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and
Alternative Medicine. 6(3): 275-280.
108. E Pretorius, MS Bornman, S Reif, HM Oberholzer , RC Franz. 2009. Ultrastructural changes of
platelet aggregates and fibrin networks in a patient with renal clear cell adenocarcinoma: a
scanning electron microscopy study. Microscopy, Research and Technique. 72: 679–683.
109. E Pretorius. 2009. The role of Alternative and Complementary Treatments of Asthma. 2009.
Acupuncture and Electro-Therapeutics Research. 34(1-2):15-26 (Sited by
110. W van der Spuy and E Pretorius. 2009. The role of Resveratrol in the prevention and treatment of
obesity: A Review. Nutrition Research Reviews. 22:1-7.
111. HM Oberholzer and E Pretorius. 2009. Investigating lung remodeling in MODUL8® -treated
BALB/c asthmatic animals. Micron 40(8):775-82.
112. E Pretorius. 2009. The role of serotonin and cholesterol in asthma. Progress in Neuro-
Psychopharmacology & Biological Psychiatry. 33(5):910-911.
113. E Pretorius. 2007/2008 (2009December issue). The role of platelet and fibrin ultrastructure in
identifying disease patterns. Pathophysiology, Thrombosis and Haemostasis. 36: 251-258
114. E Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, WJ van der Spuy JH Meiring. 2009. Macrothrombocytopenia:
Investigating the ultrastructure of platelets and fibrin networks using scanning and transmission
electron microscopy. Ultrastructural Pathology 33(5):216-21.
115. E Smit, HM Oberholzer and E Pretorius. 2009. A review of immunomodulators with focus on the
homeopathic product Canova®. Homeopathy 98: 169-176. (Sited by
116. HM Oberholzer, WA Vieira and E Pretorius. 2009. Investigating the effect of the homeopathic
immunomodulator, MODUL8®, on blood count, bronchial lavage and fibrin ultrastructure on
experimental asthmatic BALB/c mice. International Journal of Morphology. 27(3):955-963.
117. E Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, WJ van der Spuy and JH Meiring. 2010. Age-related changes in fibrin
networks and platelets of individuals over 75: a scanning electron microscopy study showing
‘‘thrombotic preparedness’’ . Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis. 29 (3): 271-275.
118. WJ van der Spuy, M Potgieter, E Pretorius, WA Vieira. 2010. Differential Leukocyte Counts of
SJL/J Mice with Dysferlinopathy treated with resveratrol and coenzyme q10. Scandinavian Journal
of Laboratory Animal Science 37: 1-7.
119. E. Pretorius 2010. The influence of acceleration voltage on scanning electron microscopy of
human blood platelets. Microscopy, Research and Technique. 73(3):225-8
120. E Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, WJ van der Spuy, JH Meiring. 2010. Smoking and coagulation: the
sticky fibrin phenomenon. Ultrastructural Pathology 34(4):236-9.
121. HM Oberholzer and E Pretorius. 2010. The role of vitamins and minerals in the alleviation of
asthma symptoms. Early Child Development and Care 180(7): 913–920.
122. WA Vieira and E Pretorius. The impact of asthma on the gastrointestinal tract (GIT). Journal of
Asthma and Allergy 3: 123-130.
123. E Pretorius. 2010. The changing coagulation profile of females: can ultrastructure of fibrin teach us
something? The Journal of Coagulation Disorders (Accepted for publication)
124. E Pretorius, UB Windberger, HM Oberholzer,REJ Auer. 2010. Comparative ultrastructure of fibrin
networks of a dog after thrombotic ischemic stroke. Onderstepoort Veterinary Journal . 77 (1):
125. E Pretorius, R Crookes, HM Oberholzer, WJ van der Spuy. 2010. Investigating the effect of a
platelet additive solution on apheresis platelet and fibrin network ultrastructure. Transfusion and
Apheresis Science 43(3):347-51.
126. Y Scholtz, M Steyn, E Pretorius. 2010. A geometric morphometric study into the sexual
dimorphism of the human scapula. HOMO 61: 253–270.
127. E. Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, WJ van der Spuy, JH Meiring. 2010. The changed ultrastructure of
fibrin networks during use of oral contraception and hormone replacement. Journal of Thrombosis
and Thrombolysis 30:502-506.
128. M.A. Oosthuizen, E. Pretorius, H.M. Oberholzer, W.J. van der Spuy. 2010. Ultrastructural Analyses
of Platelets and Fibrin Networks in BALB/c Mice after Inhalation of Spherical and Rod-Shaped
Titanium Nanoparticles. International Journal of Morphology 28: 1263-1271.
129. M. Potgieter, E. Pretorius, C.F. Van der Merwe, M. Beukes, W.A. Vieira, REG Auer, M Auer, S
Meyer. 2011. Histological assessment of SJL/J mice treated with the antioxidants Coenzyme Q10
and Resveratrol. Micron 42: 275-282.
130. E. Pretorius. 2011. The Forgotten Science: Reviving Morphology. J of Microscopy 241(2): 219-
131. E. Pretorius. 2011. Traditional coating techniques in scanning electron microscopy compared to
uncoated charge compensator technology: looking at human blood fibrin networks with the ZEISS
ULTRA plus FEG-SEM. Microscopy, Research and Technique 74:343–346
132. E. Pretorius, AC Swanepoel, HM Oberholzer, WJ van der Spuy. W Duim, PF Wessels. A
descriptive investigation of the ultrastructure of fibrin networks in thrombo-embolic ischemic stroke.
Journal of Thrombosis and Thrombolysis (in press).
133. E. Pretorius, H.M. Oberholzer, W.J. van der Spuy, A.C. Swanepoel, P. Soma 2011. Scanning
electron microscopy of fibrin networks in rheumatoid arthritis: a qualitative analysis. Rheumatology
International (in press).
134. E Pretorius, HM Oberholzer, WJ van der Spuy, AC Swanepoel, P Soma. 2011. Qualitative
scanning electron microscopy analysis of fibrin networks and platelet abnormalities in diabetes.
Blood, Coagulation and Fibrinolysis (In Press).
135. E Pretorius. 2011. Quantifying changes in fibrin fiber network morphology. Ultrastructural
Pathology (In Press).
136. M Potgieter, E Pretorius. 2011. Coenzyme Q10 supplementation in statin therapy: an overview for
physicians. Nutrition Research Reviews (In Press).
7.2 Books and/or chapters in books
137. E. Pretorius. 2005. Adverse reactions, with particular focus on asthma, occurring in a
dental practice. Book Chapter In: Trends in Asthma Research; Nova Science Publishers,
New York. Pp 177- 199.
138. E Pretorius. 2008. African plants and herbs in asthma therapy. Encyclopaedia of
Botanical Plants in Clinical Practice. Chapter 3 pages 20 – 30.
139. E Pretorius. 2008. Anti-inflammatory Medicinal Plants: New Insights and Research
Techniques. Recent Progress in Medicinal Plants Volume 22: Phytopharmacology and
Therapeutic Values IV. Pages 205-226.
140. E Pretorius, JJ van Tonder, J Mac Donald, HM Oberholzer. 2009. Historical Overview of
Ethnopharmacology: looking back in time for treatment of modern diseases. Trends and
Developments in Ethnopharmacology.
141. E Pretorius. 2009. Latest techniques in studying Ethnopharmacology: using the systems
biology approach and animal models. Trends and Developments in Ethnopharmacology.
142. E Smit, W Vieira, E Pretorius, HM Oberholzer. 2011. Cytokine modulation or regulation:
Monocytes exposed to a complex homeopathic medicine (CHM) that is a possible
immunomodulator. NOVA BOOK PUBLICATIONS
7.3 Editor of Books
Editor of book: Trends and Developments in Ethnopharmacology 2009(commissioned by
8. OTHER SCHOLARLY RESEARCH-BASED CONTRIBUTIONS
8.1 Participation in conferences, workshops and short courses - specify type of
Provide full details of participation in national and international conferences etc
Entomological society of Southern Africa: Johannesburg, South Africa; June 1994.
Zoological Society of Southern Africa: Durban, South Africa; July 1995.
Attendance and presentation
The usefulness of internal structures for phylogenetic reconstruction.
First meeting of the Southern African Acarology Society: Pretoria, South Africa; November
30 Annual Conference of the Anatomical Society of Southern Africa: Stellenbosch, South
Africa; April 2000.
Attendance and Presentation
Geometric Morphometrics performed for the first time on Arachnida.
Second conference of the Southern African Society for Systematic Biology; Durban, July
Geometric Morphometrics analysis of higher taxa: with specific reference to the
Parasitology Society of Southern Africa; Durban, August 2000.
Geometric morphometric analysis of the male and female body shape of Hyalomma
truncatum and H. marginatum rufipes (Acari: Ixodidae).
XVI International Symposium of Morphological Sciences; Sun City South Africa, July
1. Suspected latex sensitivity among a group of healthcare professionals.
2. Determining the decondensation ability of fertile and infertile spermatozoa after treatment
3. The development and validation of a method for the determination and quantification of
Vitamin D3 in dog food samples when using reverse phase liquid chromatography.
Anatomical Society of South Africa: 32nd Annual Conference: Durban, April 2002
The evaluation of the cytotoxic Effect of Condom Material on HeLa Cells in vitro.
Anatomical Society of South Africa: 33rd Annual Conference: Golden Gate, April 2003.
Student Oral Presentations at this conference
A da Silva, MJ Bester and E Pretorius. The neurotoxic effects of cocaine on the rat adult
and the developing foetal brain.
PRIZE FOR BEST FIRST-TIME PRESENTER
NA Motsoane, MJ Bester and E Pretorius. Determining the cytotoxic effect of latex
condoms on L-929 and HeLa cells.
WJ Espag, MJ Bester and E Pretorius. Determining the cytotoxic effect of two traditional
abortifacients on cells in culture.
SPECIAL MENTION: YOUNG PRESENTER
M Steyn, E Pretorius and L Hutten. Geometric morphometric analysis of the greater sciatic
notch in a South African population.
32nd Annual Conference of the parasitological Society of Southern Africa 2003.
FC Clarke and E Pretorius. Traditional methods versus geometric morphometric analysis
in determining relatedness in three Amblyomma species.
Anatomical Society of South Africa: 35th Annual Conference: Eastern Cape, April 2005.
Student oral presentations
Marx J, Pretorius E, Bester MJ. Investigation of the Cytotoxic Potential of Aqueous
Extracts of Dicerocaryum Zanguebarium and Urginea sanguinea.
Hoogendijk CF, Pretorius E, Marx J. SEM as a diagnostic modality for Conidiobolus
Da Silva AA, Bester JM, Pretorius E. The effect of Mandrax and Cannabis, common drugs
of abuse in South Africa, on the cellular function of chick embryonic neurons.
Pretorius E, Marx J. Cellular impact of hydrocortisone on prenatal development.
Pretorius E, Bornman MS. Possible role for calcium-mediated aponecrosis in the
pathogenesis of estrogenic-induced neurotoxicity.
33 Annual Meeting of the Surgical Research Society of Southern Africa held on 22 and
23 June 2005
Changes in the fibrin network of a Pretoria family with dysfibrinogenaemia: a scanning
electron microscopical (sem) study
Pretorius E, Briedenhann S, Marx J, Franz RC
Anatomical Society of South Africa: 36th Annual Conference: Golden Gate, April 2006.
P Humphries, Pretorius E. Cellular effects of Aspartame.
WINNER: best poster presentation.
Anatomical Society of South Africa: 36th Annual Conference: Golden Gate, April 2007
Anatomical Society of South Africa: 36th Annual Conference: Magaliesburg, April 2007.
1. Comparative ultrastructural analyses of platelets and fibrin networks using the murine
model of asthma
E Pretorius, Ekpo OE, E Smit
2. Comparisons of the fibrin networks during pregnancy, non-pregnancy and pregnancy
during dysfibrinogenaemia using the scanning electron microscope
E Pretorius, S Briedenhann, E Smit, P Bronkhorst, RC Franz
35 Annual Meeting of the Surgical Research Society of Southern Africa held in June
Ultra-structural comparison of the morphology of three different platelet and fibrin fiber
Pretorius E, Briedenhann S, Marx J, Franz RC
WINNER: Best oral presentation.
Systematic Association Biennial Conference: Glasgow Scotland; August 1999.
Attendance and presentation
Grant awarded to present a paper at conference.
Presentation title: Geometric Morphometrics used for the first time at superfamily level:
analysis of the metendosternites of Scarabaeoidea (Coleoptera).
Entomology Society of America; Montreal; December 2000.
The origin of the sacred Scarab and its kin.
7 Congress of the European Society for Analytical Cellular Pathology; Caen, France,
Evaluation of the biological safety of condoms using an in vitro cell culture method.
Second Southern African Acarology meeting: Nairobi, December 2001.
Uses of geometric morphometrics in Tick taxonomy.
Meeting of the International Acarology Society: Mexico, October 2002
The male and female body shape of three Amblyomma species analysed through
geometric morphometric methods.
Learning Conference: Beijing, July 2002
Proposing an instructional framework for children with HIV/AIDS.
Plenary speaker: World Entomological Conference (Brisbane, Australia) August 2004:
Invited by Prof Chris Klingenberg (UK) to present uses of Geometric Morphometrics at
International Euro-India Conference on Holistic Medicine: (ICHM-2008): 21-23August,
2008, Kottayam, Kerala, India
Investigating the immunomodulatory capacity of Canova with specific focus on monocytes
and ultrastructure of platelets of HIV patients treated with Canova: a qualitative scanning
electron microscopy study
Invited speaker and chair of session
17th International Microscopy Congress (IMC 17), Windsor Barra Hotel, Rio de Janeiro,
19-24 Sept 2010
Investigating lung remodeling in Modul8-treated BALB/c asthmatic animals (HM
Oberholzer, E Pretorius)
The Effects of Resveratrol and Coenzyme Q10 Treatment on the Gluteus Complex Muscle
Membrane Morphology of SJL/J Mice with Dysferlinopathy
(WJ van der Spuy, E Pretorius)
NACA CONFERENCE, POLOKWANE "National Association for Clean Air" kongres in
Polokwane (Pietersburg). October 2010
Can existing south african air quality standards be applied to nanoparticles?
(Maria A. Oosthuizen, Etheresia Pretorius, Hester M. Oberholzer, and Wendy J. van der
8.2 Teamwork and collaboration with others:
Other researchers (national and international)
Members other departments of the faculty of Medical sciences (UP)
Prof Lindeque (Obstetrics and Gynaecology) – cervical cell cultures
Prof Roux (Ophthalmology) – corneal cell cultures
Other faculties in the University of Pretoria
Prof C Scholtz (Zoology and Entomology) - geometric morphometrics and its uses in
Prof D Naudé (Educational Psychology)
Prof J Viljoen (Educational Research)
Other South African universities
Prof F Clarke (MEDUNDSA) – uses of geometric morphometrics in tick taxonomy
Prof C van Vuuren (UNISA) – learning difficulties
Prof D Hedley (University of Toronto) – student exchange program (cell culture)
Prof K Philips (Western Kentucky University) - geometric morphometrics and its uses
Prof B Danforth, Cornell University – geometric morphometrics and its used in Bee
Prof G ter Horst (Groningen) – student exchange program (Neuro-anatomy)
Prof B Wallner (University of Vienna, Austria) – cortisone and its effect on neural
Prof Dorly Buchi (Brazil) – Canova research
Dr Lev (Israel) – Ethnopharmacology
Dr Chan (Korea) – Ethnopharmacology
SABS (South African Bureau of Standards)
Prof E Sevenster (Ophthalmologist) research into using the basal lamina in eye
Southern Laboratories – Cell culture research/burn wound research
UCB Pharma – Canova research
Canova SA – Canova research
8.3 Membership in national and international bodies
List all the scientific associations or societies to which you belong. Name your
involvement, e.g. honorary member, founder member, full member, chairman,
Systematic Association (London)
Systematic and Applied Acarology Society (America)
Cellular and Analytical Pathology (Europe)
Anatomical Society of Southern Africa (South Africa)
9. ARTISTIC OUTPUTS (if applicable)
9.1 Provide full details of artistic outputs, including public reviews of work, coordinating
experts in the field, publisher, production company etc
10. MANAGEMENT AND ADMINISTRATIVE DUTIES
10.1 List your involvement in departmental activities (e.g. administrative functions), faculty
(e.g. Faculty Committees) or other university activities.
Prof Pretorius is Section Head of Histology and Cell Biology and is responsible for the
administration and funding initiatives of the section (2001 – 2002) and member of the
departmental Exco (2000 – present).
Prof Pretorius was course coordinator of the ANA 121, 122, 125 and 126 courses (1999
– 2001) and course coordinator for BSc second year during 2002. She is also course
coordinator of the Cell Biology section of ANA 214, 324, ANA 700 (BSc (Hons, with
specialization in Cell Biology) and joint course leader of ANA 700 (BSc (Hons)) with
specialization in Neuro-Anatomy, MSc and PhD courses in Cell Biology (2000 –present).
Registered: Centre of Applied Morphology 2008
Facilities and maintenance
Management of facilities and allocation of lecturing venues of the section Histology
and Cell Biology.
Management of the following activities of staff within the section Histology and Cell
Key Performance Areas of staff
Leave of staff
Appointment of new members of staff
Allocation of lecturing activities of staff
Planning of research activities of staff
Managing and allocation of research funds to staff
Arrangement of additional courses for staff
Budget and finances
Involvement in planning of departmental budget
Financial management of orders within the section of Histology and Cell Biology
Chairperson of the departmental research task group: Histology and Cell Biology (1999
Chairperson on the Cell Biology Focus area of the Department of Anatomy (2001 –
Member of the Anatomical Society of Southern Africa (1999 - present) and served as a
member of the organizing committee of the XVI International Symposium on
Morphological Sciences that was hosted in July 2001 at Sun City (South Africa).
Member of the UPKonders newsletter (2001 - 2002).
RESCOM (School Research Committee) committee member (2005 to present).
Member of faculty RESCOM (2006 to present)
Member of MSc protocol committee - Faculty of Health Sciences (2007)
Chair: MSc Protocol committee - Faculty of Health Sciences (2008 to present)
Member of GALA evening function committee - Faculty of Health Sciences (2007)
Chair: of GALA evening function committee - Faculty of Health Sciences (2008 to
Member of the Appointment committee - Faculty of Health Sciences (2007 to 2010)
11. COMMUNITY SERVICE OR PROFESSIONAL SKILLS
11.1 Outreach projects
2011 – COMMUNITY OUTREACH PROJECT: IntoMyHealth.blogspot.com
Blog set up for second years BSc students to communicate health issues to their
family and peers
11.2 Professional service performed
(e.g. courses presented, lectures at professional associations/clubs, radio or TV
appearances, outside expert or appointment committee, etc.)
11.3 Clinical service
(e.g. full detail of rank/level of joint appointment, level of clinical service rendering
responsibilities, university administration and academic responsibilities, CPD
involvement, clinical trials involvement, etc.)
11.4 Involvement with other universities/scientific institutions
(e.g. external examiner, editor of journal, advisory council, CSIR, SA Council for
Regional editor: Early Child Development and Care (England)
Editorial board: American Journal of Immunology
Associate Editor: Journal of Holistic and Integrative Medicine (England)
11.5 Referee duties
(e.g. journals, dissertations/theses)
Reviewer for journals
South African Optometrist
Southern African Journal of Epidemiology and Infection
South African Dental Journal
International Journal for Insect Science
Biological Journal of the Linnaean Society
Theoretical Biology and Medical Modelling
Journal of Mammalogy
Journal of Microscopy
Ophthalmic and Physiological Optics
Mediators of Inflammation
The Philippine Agricultural Scientist
Journal of Zoological Systematics and Evolutionary Research
South African Journal of Science
Journal of Clinical Anatomy
Hormones and Behaviour
Central European Journal of Biology
Journal of the Entomological Research Society
Frontiers in Zoology
Journal of Asthma
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytotherapy
Complementary Therapies in Medicine
Journal of Asthma
American Journal of Perinatology
MEDUNSA: PhD Chantel Baker: 2006
University of Limpopo: MSc MC Madiga: 2007
University of Johannesburg: TL Botha MSc 2011
12. AWARDS AND SCIENTIFIC/SCHOLARLY RECOGNITION
12.1 Evaluation status as scientist/scholar
NRF Young researcher (2003-2008)
12.2 Research awards and prizes
Miss Jorika Marx - MSc thesis (cum laude) (September 2005) A2S3 bronze medal 2006:
best MSc at the University of Pretoria
Miss Eureke Smit - MSc thesis (cum laude) (2007) A2S3 bronze medal 2008: runner-up:
best MSc at the University of Pretoria
E. Pretorius. 2005. Using geometric morphometrics to investigate wing dimorphism in males
and females of Hymenoptera – a case study based on the genus Tachysphex (Sphecidae:
Larrinae). Australian Journal of Entomology. 44:113-121. Most read article on Synergy
from Wiley Publishers 2006
Most popular article August 2010: 2 articles published in Blood, Coagulation and
Exceptional Young Researcher 2008: University of Pretoria