THE WAY THE BRAIN LEARNS BEST
1. The Brain shapes itself in response to the
outside world. Five senses generate nerve
impulses that cause brain cells to connect,
forming circuits and networks.
Therefore: connect academic material to
concrete, sensory experiences:
Sing, measure, talk, listen, write, build, draw,
Engage all the senses to learn academic
2. The brain searches for meaning. Many
teaching methods help the brain discover
• Link lessons with concrete, real things that
engage the senses. Draw on things students
already know, or create new experiences.
• Ask students to organize material into patterns
that hold meaning: webs, charts, diagrams,
sequences, cause-effect connections, chunking,
• Engage in projects, problem-solving, service
learning, discovery learning, and
• Question, make choices, accept responsibility
3. Rotating the memory helps us acquire
skills and make them automatic
• Practice, review, repeat
• Chunk information
• Use physical movement
• Make things meaning full!
4. Emotions are always with us
• We pay 3 to 5 times more attention to negative
comments than to positive ones.
• The brain that is exposed constantly to negative
feedback develops abnormal circuits.
• The frightened brain forces out reason.
Therefore: Make your classroom a place where
students feel valued, worthy, appreciated, and
connected with peers who respect them. “I am
accepted, part of the class, full of potential. I
5. Memory decays rapidly. New experiences
affect existing memories.
• To keep a memory intact, review and
• Use visual aids, graphics, songs, rhymes,
and simulations to refresh the memory.
6. The brain is a social organ. It demands that
we live together harmoniously and
cooperatively. Our biology demands
Teach students to co-exist harmoniously.
Invite them to collaborate, listen deeply to
how others feel, and contribute to the well-
being of others.
7. Intelligence can be raised or lowered. It is not
single, but multiple. It is not fixed, but
Everyone is intelligent in several ways. Everyone has brain
circuits dedicated to at least nine kinds of intelligence.
• Spatial, space thinking
• Kinesthetic (Motor coordination)
• Interpersonal, Intrapersonal
• Existentialist (Spiritual Quotient: SQ)
New scientific claims:
• We all have these intelligences, they make us
human, cognitively speaking!
• No two people , not even identical twins, have
exactly the same profile of intelligences.
• We are all unique and interconnected with
everything around us. The differences in
theories between Newton, Einstein and Darwin.
1. Globalization, the easy move of human
beings, money, fashion and globalize
thinking is a fact. The whole world in coming
2. The biological revolution, like this knowledge
about how brains are working.
3. The digital revolution, virtual, fast and
virtual realities. Its all to bee seen on the
The five Minds for the Future
1. The disciplined mind
2. The synthesizing mind, system thinking
in school systems
3. The creating mind.
4. The respectful mind
5. Ethical mind
The disciplined mind
• Working steady and improving yourself! Good
is the enemy of excellent!
• Develop your own passion, talk in the school
what is relevant, offer students the change to
discover the meaning behind discipline.
• Going for being an expert in what you want to
be/do, your profession. You have to work for it,
discipline for the quality you aim for. Even a
garbage man has his quality and can aim for
The synthesizing of mind
• Every two of three years the information we
can get is doubled, especially which is coming
from the internet.
• Evaluate the information and give it a meaning
full place, make students disciplined to
structure this information.
• The good , bad and meaning full synthesis of all
information. What if students read less books
and don’t understand the meaning of what the
interconnection between information is?
• System thinking in schools, the natural learning
The creating mind
• Going beyond the known-thinking outside the
box. Creative encourage, right or wrong. If you
can see the whole pathway in front of you, you
are probably going the wrong way!
• Good questions, new questions.
• Creativity on individual- and team level!
• Fostering creativity in the school instead of
discipline. That is hard to believe, but new
learning is connected with creativity of students
in discipline to them self!
• The creating mind of a five year old kid is the
highest level a human brain can reach!
The respectful mind
• Diversity as a fact of live. At home , in
school at your work! Don’t judge all the
time the things which are not according
to your mental model!
• Emotional and interpersonal intelligence
• Not just students- teachers- or parents
alone. It is about inter connection/
synthesis between these all!
• Respect is not only a person you made
the choice for!
The ethical mind
• What will/can I add to develop others.
• What does it mean to be partner in the
community I am living in?
• Teach students how they can add something to
the society we are all living in. Enlarge their
time and place horizon.
• Make learning sustainable and train people for
the tomorrow job! Awareness of that is for all
teachers very important
• The ethical person is worried about his or her
• The role of formal and informal learning in
developing these five minds for the future!