“All sorrows can be borne, if you
put them in a story.”
Historical Perspective of
• For centuries, people have chronicled
their personal thoughts
• Early explorers kept journals of their
• Journal writing can be defined as a series of
written passages that document the personal
events, thoughts, feelings, memories, and
perceptions in one’s journey throughout life
leading to wholeness.
• The practice of journal writing has proven a
formidable coping technique to deal with
is said to promote
values, beliefs, and the
tensions these create are
allowed to work
themselves out on paper.
Journal Writing as a
• Short-term benefits include releasing
pent-up feelings of anger and anxiety.
• Long-term benefits include seeing
patterns and habits of thought,
perceptions, and behaviors that are not
detectable on an entry-to-entry basis.
Steps to Initiate Effective
• Essential elements for effective journal
– a journal notebook
– a pen or pencil
– a quiet place to write uninterrupted
– an open and honest mind
Additional Suggestions for
• Try to identify those concerns, problems
and issues that cause the most
frustration, grief, and tension.
• Ask yourself what emotions are elicited
when these stressors are encountered.
• Allow the writing process to augment
your creative processes to further
Best Application of Journal Writing
• A great way to release pent-up feelings
• A great way to start resolving issues