SOCIETY OF PETROLEUM ENGINEERS GULF COAST SECTION - Board of by fdh56iuoui

VIEWS: 20 PAGES: 5

									                              SOCIETY OF PETROLEUM ENGINEERS
                         GULF COAST SECTION - Board of Directors Meeting
                                SPE GCS Office Houston, Texas

                                                  January 20, 2005

ATTENDANCE

BOARD POSITION              BOARD M EMBER                       PRESENT    ABSENT       PROXY
  Chairman                     Susan Howes                           X
  Vice-Chairman                Bryant Mueller                        X
  Secretary                    Robbin Jones                          X
  Treasurer                    Roger Hite                            X
  Vice-Treasurer               Art Schroeder                         X
  Career Management            Bob Coolidge                          X     Left at   Claude Thorp
                                                                           8:40am
  Communications               Pat Lawrence                          X
  Community Services           Jay Graham                                    X          Susan
                                                                                        Howes
  Membership                   Randy Woods                           X
  Past Chair                   Sid Smith Jr.                         X     Left at      Susan
                                                                           10:05        Howes
                                                                            am
  Programs                     Bill Jentsch                          X     Left at   Pat Lawrence
                                                                           10:05
                                                                            am
  Social Activities            Charlie Schulze                       X

  Technology Transfer          Tami Joslin                           X
  Director                     Hiep Vu                            X -                  No proxy
                                                                 arrived                prior to
                                                                9:05 am                 arrival.
  Director                     Nick Piskurich                                X          Charlie
                                                                                       Schulze
  Director                     Kim Dollens                           X     Left at   Robbin Jones
                                                                           10:05
                                                                            am
  Director                     Robin Anderson                                X          Bryant
                                                                                       Mueller
  Director                     Russ Neuschafer                               X       Robbin Jones
  Director                     Claude Thorp                          X

  GC Regional Director         Janeen Judah                                  X



OTHERS
  Melissa Schultea             SPE GCS Liaison
  Derrick Fountain             SPE GCS Webmaster
  Rodney Sabrsula              SPE GCS Webmaster
  Larry Foster                 SPE GCS Northside Study Group Chair
  Janice Menke                 SPE GCS ELP
  Sid Smith, Sr.               SPE GCS Annual Report Committee



                                         Page 1 of 5
                                       SOCIETY OF PETROLEUM ENGINEERS
                                  GULF COAST SECTION - Board of Directors Meeting
                                         SPE GCS Office Houston, Texas

                                                           January 20, 2005
R ECAP FOR A NNUAL R EPORT

Reviewed and approved December minutes.
Reviewed and approved December financials.
Approved Reservoir Study Group Simulation fundamentals workshop.
Approved revised Digital Energy conference budget
Established an SPE GCS policy that non SPE events will be publicized only when at least one of the following
conditions exists: (1) SPE GCS has a direct financial involvement OR (2) SPE GCS controls the content.

MEETING SUMMARY

Quorum declared and called to order at 7:45 am by Bryant Mueller.
Susan Howes arrived at 7:50 am (traffic delay).

OLD / PENDING ACTION ITEMS                                                                             STATUS
                  Study Group Liaisons to encourage study groups to begin succession planning             In
October
                  for the next fiscal year.                                                            Progress
                  BOD members will ask employers if they would provide digitizing services for old
November          newsletters in support of preserving and updating the section history for the        Pending
                                          th
                  section’s upcoming 70 anniversary.
                  Sid Smith to fill Offshore Technology Conference (OTC) registration chairman
December                             th                                                                 Done
                  position by Dec 6 . - Randy Perry Encana will serve as chairman.
                  Susan Howes - will provide executive committee input to the career
December                                                                                               Pending
                  development survey with regards to the strategic plan.
                  All BOD members – send comments to Melissa Schultea and Derrick Fountain
December                                                                                               Pending
                  on how to streamline the job postings process.

ACTION ITEMS                                                                                            STATUS
 Susan Howes / Charlie Schulze – contact Golf & Sporting Clays committee to obtain status of
 budget for each event. Events were approved in July 2004, contingent on detailed submission of        Pending
 budget to Board.
 Roger Hite / Art Schroeder – send draft of “Investment Policy” to BOD for review and comment
                                                                                                       Pending
 next after Financial Advisory Board meeting scheduled for February 1st
 Strategic Planning Committee –review Career Management survey, comments to Bob Coolidge               Pending
 Claude Thorp / Bob Coolidge – form a committee to devise a strategy for web site job posting
                                                                                                       Pending
 notification to GCS members
 Larry Foster –will request Brad Holly to send Rodney Sabrsula the Northside Study Group email
                                                                                                       Pending
 list
 Kim Dollens / Susan Howes – will meet with Jennifer Bell and request her to relinquish her role as
                                                                                                       Pending
 chairman of the International Study Group.
 Susan Howes – will request that study groups complete succession plans                                  Done
 Sid Smith Sr. - send SPEI Annual report template / tables to Robbin Jones for distribution to BOD /
                                                                                                       Pending
 SG liaisons
 ALL BOD MEMBERS – SPEI award nominations are due February 15th, send ideas to Sid Smith               Pending
 Janice Menke – will present details of “Emerging Engineers Conference” at February BOD meeting        Pending
 Robbin Jones – will collate and prepare a summary of SPE GCS policies established since 2003
                                                                                                       Pending
 and distribute to BOD.
 Roger Hite & Art Schroeder will review the current bylaw requiring “audited financials” at the next
                                                st                                                     Pending
 Financial Advisory Board meeting on February 1 .

MOTIONS                                                                                         PASS      FAIL
                                               st                         nd
 Accept December minutes (Bob Coolidge – 1 / Tami Joslin & Kim Dollens– 2 )                      X
                                            st              nd
 Accept December financials (Sid Smith – 1 / Tami Joslin – 2 )                                   X
 Approved Reservoir Study Group (RSG) workshop, “Fundamentals of Reservoir Simulation”,
                                                                                                  X
 May 12 &13 at the Courtyard Marriott at I-10W & Dairy Ashford. RSG budget revised to
                                                  Page 2 of 5
                                        SOCIETY OF PETROLEUM ENGINEERS
                                   GULF COAST SECTION - Board of Directors Meeting
                                          SPE GCS Office Houston, Texas

                                                             January 20, 2005
                                  st                   nd
 include workshop. (Hiep Vu – 1 / Randy Woods – 2 )
 Approved expenditure of 5K$ to secure venue for 2006 Digital Energy conference.                     X
 Approved revised Digital Energy budget to include 2K$ donation to Camp Quality (Roger
          st                     nd
 Hite – 1 / Charlie Schulze – 2 ) Voting no – Bill Jentsch, Sid Smith, Randy Woods, Susan            X
 Howes & proxy for Jay Graham, Bryant Mueller & proxy for Robin Anderson
 Establish an SPE GCS policy that non SPE events will be publicized only when at least one
 of the following conditions exists: (1) SPE GCS has a direct financial involvement OR (2)
                                                    st                 nd                           X
 SPE GCS controls the content. (Robbin Jones – 1 / Roger Hite – 2 ). Voting no - Bill
 Jentsch and Pat Lawrence.
                                       st                 nd
 Adjourn meeting (Robbin Jones – 1 , Randy Woods – 2 )                                               X

VOTES NOT R EQUIRING A MOTION                                                                      PASS      FAIL


ADJOURN
 Meeting adjourned at 10:25 am

MEETING DETAILS

I. INTRODUCTION AND CHAIRMAN'S COMMENTS

Quorum declared and meeting called to order at 7:45 am by Bryant Mueller. Susan Howes arrived at 7:50 am
(traffic delay). (See above attendance list for meeting attendees. Agenda handed out at meeting.)


   Introductions made by all present.


   II.      STANDING ACTIONS AND COMMITTEES

   Secretary – Robbin Jones read the December minutes and pending action items. Minutes were accepted
   and unanimously approved.
   Treasurer – Roger Hite reviewed December financials. Recently deposited a 20K$ SPEI check. YTD
   revenue, expenses and net income are 20K$ above, 20K$ and 40K$ above budget, respectively.

   Roger explained the difference between register balance and cleared balance. Register balance is what the
   SPE GCS check book says we have, assuming all outstanding checks and deposits have cleared. Cleared
   balance shows how much is actually in the account, not considering outstanding checks and deposits.

   The Career Management budget was increased $2500 to reflect the cost preparing the web-based survey.

   Newsletter was 16K$ below budgeted net income YTD. Roger reviewed this with Pat Lawrence & Keith
   Rappold. Checks that had not been deposited along with unprocessed credit card forms were found in the
   SPE GCS office. This may account for some of the budget short fall. Melissa is working through the checks
   and credit card slips now for deposit and processing.

   Sporting Clays is under budget YTD on net income. Revenue and expense activity will begin to pick up as
   the event date draws closer. Social – Golf & Sporting Clays have yet to present detailed plans / budgets to
   the BOD. Both budgets were put into the budget as contingent items subject to a requested review of
   detailed budgets.

   Roger Hite reviewed “Financial Guidelines & Authorities”, a draft document intended to describe treasury
   operations and clarify roles and responsibilities.

   Roger & Art will review the current bylaw requiring “audited financials” at the next Financial Advisory Board
                          st
   meeting on February 1 .

                                                    Page 3 of 5
                                       SOCIETY OF PETROLEUM ENGINEERS
                                  GULF COAST SECTION - Board of Directors Meeting
                                         SPE GCS Office Houston, Texas

                                                            January 20, 2005

   Tami Joslin questioned the necessity of continuing the section policy requiring a 20% return on section
   events in light of the increase in section financial reserves. Roger and Robbin responded that reserves were
   actually expected to decrease as “big ticket” events such as Golf and Sporting Clays make large
   expenditures towards each event.

   Motion made to accept financials – approved unanimously.
   Communications / Programs –

  Bill Jentsch discussed the Program Coordinating Council guidelines for publicizing SPE events. After
  discussion Robbin Jones made a motion, seconded by Roger Hite, to establish a SPE GCS policy that non
  SPE events will be publicized only when at least one of the following conditions exists:

  (1) SPE GCS has a direct financial involvement

  OR

  (2) SPE GCS has an active role in developing the content.

  The motion carried with Bill Jentsch and Pat Lawrence voting no.

  Organizations seeking assistance in publicizing non-SPE events can purchase advertising in the SPE GCS
  newsletter (if available) or be encouraged to use the Houston Energy Council calendar at
  http://www.houstonenergycouncil.org/calendar.htm.

  Social – Golf & Sporting Clays have yet to present detailed plans / budgets to the BOD. Both budgets were
  put into the budget as contingent items subject to a requested review of detailed budgets.
  Career Management – Bob Coolidge reviewed the status of the career management survey. The survey
  has been edited for a target of 10 minutes completion time for participants. Weatherford has agreed to be
  the sole sponsor for participant gifts - $2500 contribution.

  Bob also discussed job posting / job alert ides for members. Still formulating ideas and strategy. Will work
  with Claude Thorp to develop ideas and recommendations to the BOD.

III. STUDY G ROUPS

   Petrotech (PT)- Bill Rondon gave an update on the Petrotech SG activities. He discussed the idea of a
   summer technology event. Bill is concerned about the 20% return requirement. Because of this he believes
   the PT meeting topics / programs are “morphing” to draw larger crowds of engineers to meet 20% financial
   target rather than focus on PT related topics of interest. The PT community is a smaller subset of the SPE
   GCS membership. He also discussed the idea of varying meeting venues to improve attendance.
   Northside Study Group (NSSG) – Larry Foster gave an update on NSSG activities, summarizing events,
   attendance, financials, succession planning. A handout was provided to the BOD that covered all topics.
   Larry also discussed the need to courier speaker / event packets from the SPE GCS office to their treasurer,
   Craig Bunting, who works in Kingwood. No show policies were discussed. Larry expressed a desire to get
   more oil company volunteers into the group.
   Reservoir Study Group (RSG) – Hiep Vu discussed the upcoming “Fundamentals of Reservoir Simulation”
   to be held May 12, 13 @ the Courtyard Marriott @ I-10 and Dairy Ashford. Approximately 15 attendees are
   needed to make the event breakeven financially. A motion was made to approve the event and add it into
   the section budget. Motion carried.

   Hiep discussed the RSG succession planning process.
   Digital Energy (DESG) – Mike Strathman discussed the upcoming annual “Bytes to Barrels” conference to
   be held March 23 and 24 in a two-day expanded format. DESG has a solid line up of speakers and topics.
   90K$ in sponsorships have been committed to date.


                                                   Page 4 of 5
                                    SOCIETY OF PETROLEUM ENGINEERS
                               GULF COAST SECTION - Board of Directors Meeting
                                      SPE GCS Office Houston, Texas

                                                      January 20, 2005
Mike asked for BOD approval for a 5K$ venue deposit to secure the facility for the 2006 event. Motion made
and expenditure was approved.

Mike also requested BOD approval to revise the DESG budget to make a 2K$ donation to Camp Quality.
Bryant Mueller called for discussion on the motion, as he is not in favor of the Camp Quality donation until
SPE GCS establishes a policy for charitable donations. Motion carries.
International Study Group (ISG) – Kim Dollens and Susan Howes will meet with Jennifer Bell and request
her to transfer ISG chairman duties to another SPE member who has time to devote to the ISG
chairmanship.
Facilities & Construction (F&C) – Bryant Mueller discussed the Project Management Workshop event
tentatively being planned for June 2005. A plan will be presented to the BOD during the February BOD
meeting.
Emerging Leaders Program (ELP) – Janice Menke discussed the “Emerging Engineers Conference” to be
                                 th      th
held during OTC week on May 5 and 6 .

IV. MISCELLANEOUS BUSINESS

Sid Smith, Jr. discussed the upcoming National Engineers Week list of activities.

Succession plans have been received from Completions / Production, Westside, Northside and Facilities &
Construction.
                                                            th
Sid Smith, Sr. discussed the ECH Science Fair March 17-19 at the George R Brown convention center.
                             th
ECH needs judges for the 18 . Contact Sid Sr. if interested in being a judge. Sid Sr. requested that the
BOD be prepared to consider making an additional $2500 donation to the science fair in April. He will wait to
review the event’s P&L before making a request.

Sid Sr. has agreed again (thankfully!) to take on the job of preparing the SPEI annual report for the GCS.
                                                                                   st
The report is due May 31, 2005. He will need his inputs from the SG’s by May 1 . SPE GCS has filed this
report on time for 7 years.
Art Schroeder reminded the BOD of the ECH dedication service for Shuttle STS 107 memorial plaque at
Houston’s Tranquility Park on February 1.


V. ADJOURN AT 10:25 AM .




                                                Page 5 of 5

								
To top