North Texas Lakes Trail Region Civil War Related Sites Eastern Counties Civil War Site City County Zone Confederate Monument Farmersville Collin 1 Chestnut Square Historic Village McKinney Collin 1 City of McKinney Marker McKinney Collin 1 Dulaney Cottage McKinney Collin 1 Estes House McKinney Collin 1 Gov. James Webb Throckmorton Marker McKinney Collin 1 James Calvin Rhea House McKinney Collin 1 John S. and Rachael W. Heard House McKinney Collin 1 Kirkpatrick House McKinney Collin 1 Waddill-Morris Homesite McKinney Collin 1 White Rock Chapel Addison Dallas 1 Roberts House Cedar Hill Dallas 1 A.H. Belo Corporation Dallas Dallas 1 A.H. Belo House Dallas Dallas 1 African American Museum Dallas Dallas 1 Belle Boyd Homesite Dallas Dallas 1 Confederate Memorial Dallas Dallas 1 General William Cabell grave Dallas Dallas 1 Hall of State Dallas Dallas 1 Miller Log Cabin Dallas Dallas 1 Millermore Mansion Dallas Dallas 1 Old Red Museum Dallas Dallas 1 Richard Gano Gravesite Dallas Dallas 1 Richard Gano Home Dallas Dallas 1 Robert E. Lee Memorial Dallas Dallas 1 Texas Women in the Civil War Tribute Dallas Dallas 1 Dallas Heritage Village Dallas Dallas 1 Western Heights Church of Christ Dallas Dallas 1 Penn Springs Duncanville Dallas 1 Farmers Branch Historical Park Famers Branch Dallas 1 Gilbert House Famers Branch Dallas 1 Confederate Arms Factory Lancaster Dallas 1 Rawlins Homestead Lancaster Dallas 1 St. Paul Freewill Baptist Church Lancaster Dallas 1 Galloway's Old Home Place Sunnyvale Dallas 1 Thomas C. Neel Ennis Ellis 3 Confederate Monument Ennis Ellis 3 Harkey-Payne House Palmer Ellis 3 Confederate Monument Waxahachie Ellis 3 Confederate Powder Mill Waxahachie Ellis 3 Parson's Texas Cavalry Marker Waxahachie Ellis 3 Confederate Commisary of North Texas Subdistrict Bonham Fannin 2 Confederate Monument Bonham Fannin 2 Fanin County Museum of History Bonham Fannin 2 Military Headquarters of North Texas Subdistrict C.S.A. Bonham Fannin 2 Smith Plantation Bonham Fannin 2 Site of Dial School Dial Fannin 2 Town of Ely Ector Fannin 2 Galbraith House Honey Grove Fannin 2 Wheeler House Honey Grove Fannin 2 Lee Cemetery/Bob Lee Ambush Site Leonard Fannin 2 Town of Leonard Leonard Fannin 2 Portland Portland Fannin 2 Ft. Warren Savoy Fannin 2 Town of Trenton Trenton Fannin 2 Old Bass Home Denison Grayson 2 Sanford Homesite Denison Grayson 2 The Fitzgerald Home Denison Grayson 2 Union Monument Dennison Grayson 2 Town of Gunter Gunter Grayson 2 Lee-Peacock Feud Pilot Grove Grayson 2 Pottsboro Friendship Park Pottsboro Grayson 2 Preston Rd./Shawnee Trail Pottsboro Grayson 2 Site of Fort Johnson Pottsboro Grayson 2 Sophia Porter Marker Pottsboro Grayson 2 11th Texas Cavalry Marker Sherman Grayson 2 Austin College Sherman Grayson 2 Captain Noble Allan Birge Home Sherman Grayson 2 Confederate Monument Sherman Grayson 2 Grayson County C.S.A. Sherman Grayson 2 Ninth Texas Cavalry Marker Sherman Grayson 2 Old Settlers Association Park Sherman Grayson 2 Red River Historical Museum Sherman Grayson 2 Robert's House Sherman Grayson 2 Site of Captain Le Tellier's School Sherman Grayson 2 Umpress - Taylor Home Van Alstyne Grayson 2 Kentucky Town Whitewright Grayson 2 Samuel E. and Mary C. Marshall House Whitewright Grayson 2 East Texas Arboretum & Botanical Society Athens Henderson 3 Henderson County C.S.A. Marker Athens Henderson 3 Henderson County Historical Museum Athens Henderson 3 Fincastle Fincastle Henderson 3 Reverend Thomas Hunt Hall MD New York Henderson 3 Gus Bailey Marker Blum Hill 3 Gathings College Covington Hill 3 Confederate Monument Hillsboro Hill 3 Confederate Research Center @ The TX Heritage Museum Hillsboro Hill 3 Hill County C.S.A. Marker Hillsboro Hill 3 Hubbard C.S.A. Hubbard Hill 3 Confederate Refugees Sulphur Springs Hopkins 2 General W.H. King Marker (1839 - 1910) Sulphur Springs Hopkins 2 Hopkins County Genealogical Society and Bookstore Sulphur Springs Hopkins 2 Hopkins County Museum and Heritage Park Sulphur Springs Hopkins 2 James Selen Stout Marker Sulphur Springs Hopkins 2 Oakland Cumberland Presbyterian Church Sulphur Springs Hopkins 2 Union Stockade Sulphur Springs Hopkins 2 Confederate Monument Greenville Hunt 2 Captain Henry W. Wade Marker Quinlan Hunt 2 Colonel Isham Chisum Marker Kaufman Kaufman 3 Confederate Monument Kaufman Kaufman 3 Kaufman County C.S.A. Kaufman Kaufman 3 Captain Edward Thomas Broughton Marker Prairieville Kaufman 3 Mt. Olive Missionary Baptist Church Scurry Kaufman 3 Griffith Home Place Museum Terrell Kaufman 3 James Henry Campbell Home (1830-1918) Blossom Lamar 2 1st National Bank of Paris Paris Lamar 2 Captain William E. Moore Home Paris Lamar 2 Confederate Memorial Paris Lamar 2 John Chisum Burial Site Paris Lamar 2 Judge William Henry Lightfoot House Paris Lamar 2 Lamar County C.S.A. Paris Lamar 2 Lamar County Historical Museum Paris Lamar 2 Samuel Bell Maxey Home Paris Lamar 2 Captain James Hill Military Camp Petty Lamar 2 John Wilburn Home (1856-1857) Petty Lamar 2 Chatfield Baptist Church Chatfield Navarro 3 Chatfield Plantation Home Chatfield Navarro 3 Last Confederate Review Chatfield Navarro 3 Confederate Monument Corsicana Navarro 3 Confederate Monument Corsicana Navarro 3 "Navarro Express" newspaper Corsicanna Navarro 3 Colonel Clinton McKamey Winkler Corsicanna Navarro 3 Colonel Roger Q. Mills Home Corsicanna Navarro 3 Commander Isaac Newton Brown's Grave Corsicanna Navarro 3 Dunn-Ransom Home Corsicanna Navarro 3 Elizabeth Camp Glover Corsicanna Navarro 3 Henry G. Damon Corsicanna Navarro 3 Judge E.J. Simkins House Corsicanna Navarro 3 Pearce Civil War Museum Corsicanna Navarro 3 Pioner Village Corsicanna Navarro 3 Samuel R. Frost Corsicanna Navarro 3 Union Captain Charles Henry Allyn Corsicanna Navarro 3 Spring Hill C.S.A. Dawson Navarro 3 J.A. Megarity Homestead Oak Valley Navarro 3 Birdston Valley Streetman Navarro 3 A.C. McMillan African American Museum Emory Rains 2 Sterling Rex Barnes Marker Heath Rockwall 2 Mason-La Moreaux-Hartman House Rockwall Rockwall 2 Mt. Zion C.M.E Church Ben Wheeler Van Zandt 3 Caldwell Walton Raines (1839-1906) Marker Canton Van Zandt 3 Canton Plaza Museum Canton Van Zandt 3 Jo Shelby Expedition Marker Canton Van Zandt 3 John H. Reagan Marker Canton Van Zandt 3 Oran Milo Roberts (1815-1898) Marker Canton Van Zandt 3 Corinth Baptist Church and School Grand Saline Van Zandt 3 Grand Saline C.S.A. Grand Saline Van Zandt 3 Dallas - Shreveport Rd. Willis Point Van Zandt 3 T.Z. Woodhouse Residence Willis Point Van Zandt 3 Location Hill and Main Streets 315 S. Chestnut St. SH 5 311 S. Chestnut St. 903 N. College St. Access rd off U.S. 75 801 North College St. 315 N. College St. 903 Parker St. 302 W. Lamar St. 5555 Celestial Rd. 210 S. Broad St. 400 S. Record St. 2101 Ross Ave. 3536 Grand Ave. City Park Convention Center Grounds Greenwood cemetery Fair Park Old City Park. 1515 S. Harwood St. Old City Park. 1515 S. Harwood St. 100 S. Houston St. Oakwood Cemetery, S. Oakland St. 1717 Gano St. Lee Park Fair Park 1717 Gano St. 1912 N. Winnetka Danieldale and Penn Springs Roads 2540 Farmers Branch Ln. 2540 Farmers Branch Ln. 220 W. Main FM 342 and Lancaster Hutchins Rd. 335 S. Lancaster Hutchins Rd. 629 Pecan Creek Dr. US 287 W. Ennis Ave. 2156 W. Jefferson Courthouse, Main and Rogers Streets 300 N. Rogers St. US 77 north of Waxahachie 6th and N. Main Courthouse, W. Sam Rayburn Dr. Main Street W. 10th and State Hwy 121 FM 274 FM 824 Ector Vicinity Honey Grove Honey Grove Lee Cemetery. Intersection County Rd's 1135 & 1137 Leonard FM 1552 U.S. 82 East US 69 Lake Park/Frontier Town off US 75 FM 1753 Thompson Heights Rd. US 75-A at Fairview Cemetery Old Gunter Ranch FM 121 and Pilot Grove Road FM 120 E FM 120 E, Friendship Park Georgetown Vicinity FM 120 at Preston cemetery Courthouse Lawn 900 N. Grand Ave. 727 W. Birge at Woods St. Courthouse, Houston and Lamar Courthouse Lawn Courthouuse Lawn 1519 N. Grand Ave. 301 S. Walnut 915 S. Crockett at Spring St. 723 S. Travis at Sparrow St. 103 Paris at Preston 3 miles west of Whitewright on SH 11. 318 W. Walnut 1601 Patterson SH 19 South of FM 59 Intersection. Palestine Rd. at Bryson Rd. 217 N. Prairieville St. FM 315 at CR 4224 FM 607 FM 933 and FM 67 Business 171 at W. College St. Courthouse, Elm and Covington Streets 112 Lamar Dr. 112 Lamar Dr. Magnolia and 2nd St. SH 19- 5 miles north of Sulphur Springs Courthouse Lawn at Gilmer St. 212 Main St. 416 N. Jackson CR 3310 Pine Forest Cemetery FM 2653 303 Connally Stanford and King Streets. Wade cemetery Courthouse Square, East Grove St. Courthouse, Grove and Washington Streets Courthouse, Grove and Washington Streets Intersection of FM 1836 and FM 90 8975 SH 148 W. 805 1st St. Lamar County Main St. and Lamar Lamar County Courthouse, Lamar and North Main Washington St. near rail crossing Church and Washington St. Main and 1st St. 1009 W. Kaufman 812 S. Church FM 38 North Lamar County FM 1603 FM 1603 4511 FM 1603. 1 mile south of Chatfield 418 N. 13th Courthouse, W. 3rd and 13th Ave. 405 East Collin Oakwood cemetery 912 West Park Ave. Oakwood Cemetery 1303 W. 4th Ave. Oakwood Cemetery 128 West Collin 514 West 2nd Ave. 3100 W. Collin St. 912 West Park Ave. Oakwood Cemetery 7in Ave and Benton St. Dawson, TX Oak Valley Road NW of FM 416 4156 S. Texas St. Smith Dr. and Terry Lane 901 E. Washington SH 64, Redland Community 100 Blk Dallas (SH 64), Courthouse lawn 119 North Buffalo SH 243, 8 miles east of Canton Buffalo St. at Courthouse Square 100 Blk Dallas (SH 64), Courthouse lawn FM 1255 Intersection of U.S. 80 andFM 857 CR 3415 and SH 64 904 Canton Ave. Description Constructed entirely of Texas materials, this 25 foot monument features a life size figure of a Confedrate soldier at parade rest. Includes a collection of historic homes, a one room schoolhouse,a chapel, a blacksmith shop, a smokehouse, and a general store. Period artifacts from the Civil War are included. McKinney was founded by Collin McKinney in 1845. He was a signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence. During the Civil War, General J.W. Throckmorton organized Co. K, 6th Texas Cavalry in McKinney. Victorian home built in 1875 by Dr. Joseph E. Dulaney who married Lucy Ann Field. He was a surgeon in the Confederate Army. Kentucky native Ben T. Estes (1841-1920) came to Texas in 1856. He served in the Confederate Army and later engaged in the mercantile business. Although opposed to secession, James Webb Throckmorton served in the Confederate Army. He voted against Texas leaving the Union at the Feb., 1861 Secession Convention. Throckmorton disliked being a doctor and studied law instead. He served as a state senator during the war then became governor during the Reconstruction Period. Because of his appointment of former Confederates to state offices, Union general Phil Sheridan removed him from office. Throckmorton was born in Tennessee and migrated to Texas in 1841. He married Anne Rattan in 1848. James Calvin Rhea (1837-1925) came to Texas from Tennessee in 1855. He served in the Confederate Army. Arkansas native and Confederate vet John Spencer Heard (1841-1933) established his home here in 1865. He married Rachael in 1884. Purchased by Confederate vet E.W. Kirkpatrick(1844-1924) for his plant nusery in the 1870's. He built the Queen Anne style house in 1901. Kentucky native Judge R.L. Waddill (1811-1865) came to Mckinney with his stepson George Shackelford Morris in 1853. The home was constructed for their family after fire destroyed their original home. Morris served in the Confederate Army and later as a deputy county clerk. This church was formed by former slaves of the Coit, Caruth and Obier plantations. A log building was constructed in 1884. North Carolina native Dr. R.A. Roberts (1837-1906) was a Confederate Army surgeon. He helped bring the Grand Central and Santa Fe Railroads through Cedar Hill. The house was built for his family in 1884. http://www.cedarhilltx.com/DocumentView.aspx?DID=17 A.H. Belo started as a small company that founded the "Galveston Daily News" and published "The Texas Almanac" in 1857. A.H. Belo later purchased the company that started "The Dallas Morning News." Dallas became Belo's headquarters after he sold the "The North Carolina native A.H. Belo (1839-1901) was a Lt. Colonel of the 55th North Carolina Infantry. He purchased the "Galveston News" in 1885 and opened a branch in Dallas that grew into the "Dallas Morning News." Founded in 1974 as part of Bishop's Special Collections. It is dedicated to the preservation of art, cultural, and historical mate The famous spy and international celebrity had a house at this site and lived here breifly with her husband J.S. Hammond and her 3 children. They divorced in 1887 and Belle sold the house. Belle's charm enabled her to obtain information from Union officers. She was exhiled to England during the war. This monument was erected by the UDC on April 29, 1897 during a week long series of activities. The activities included a fancy dress ball and a very long parade. More than 42,000 attended the unveiling. The monument includes a 60 ft column with a Confed This former Dallas mayor served under Major General Earl Van Dorn at the Battle of Pea Ridge. He supervised his retreat to Corinth, Mississippi and served out his career in command of a cavalry brigade until his capture at Mine Creek. He was imprisoned This museum covers Texas History throuh the Civil War and Reconstruction periods. The exhibits vary and are rotated. Before William Miller built his mansion, he and his slaves lived in this log house. It later served as one of the first schoolhouses in Dallas County. This Greek Rival home was built in 1861 at the start of the Civil War. William Brown Miller and his descendants lived here for 100 years. This museum houses artifacts of Dallas County residents during the Civil War and Reconstruction periods. Gano organized Tarrant County and Grapevine Volunteers into Gano's Squadron. General Gano's Brigade of Texas Cavalry captured $1,500,000 worth of supplies at the Battle of Cabin Creek in the Indian Territory. He fought with Morgan's Raiders in their firs This Dogtrot cabin served as the home of Richard Gano's family during the war. J.T. Morehead built this cabin in 1854. This bronze equestrian statue was unveiled on June 12, 1936. President Franklin D. Roosevelt attended the event. He declared it "magnificent." The young aide near Lee's horse "Traveler" represents Lee's inspiration to the youth of the South. During the war, many women were forced to take on jobs performed by men who were off serving in the Confederate Army. They planted cotton, manufactured arms, and sewed uniforms while facing Union invasion, outlaws, and Indian attacks. This museum includes 13 acres of historical buildings. General Richard Gano's home is included and a Civil War era farm. Founded in 1872 after Confederate General Richard M. Gano preached, at the request of his comrade Major B.F. Robinson, to area settlers. 50 were converted. The congregation met at homes and a schoolhouse before the church was built. Watering spot for Indians and pioneers. The site was settled by Major John Penn of Illinois in the 1850's. In 1882, a Confederate reunion of Parson's Texas Cavalry was held here. The park covers activities of the period 1800-1946. This would include the Civil War and Reconstruction periods. Dr. Samuel H. Gilbert (1828-1890) purchased 275 acres at this site. He helped outfit a militia unit during the war. In 1874, he was instrumental in bringing rail service to the Farmers Branch community. A Confederate arms factory where Colt type revolvers were manufactured. John M. Crockett, Mayor of Dallas, was the superintendent. 1,464 pistols were produced. Kentucky native A. Bledsoe (1801-1882) and Roderick Rawlins (1833-1910) established the town In 1845, Roderick Rawlins settled in this area. His son Roderick A. Rawlins (1833 - 1910) started a house and served as a captain with the Texas 6th Cavalry. After the war he rebuilt his home in the popular Greek Revival style. Organized in 1870 by freed Blacks from Lancaster. The land was acquired during the pastorate of Rev. Augustus Ferrin. The sanctuary was completed in 1892. The farmhouse of Sergeant Benjamin Franklin Galloway (1833-1912) of the Tennessee 19th Infantry. The home was enlarged in 1888 and is still preserved by the fourth generation of Galloway's family. Galloway ran a hay company whose clients included Tennesse Thomas C. Neel established a wheat and cotton mill here. Neel was appointed to the 1861 Secession Convention. He later served as a state representative and senator. A granite obelisk erected in memory of Confederate Soldiers. This home was purchased in 1897 by a Confederate veteran John Payne. Enveiled in November, 1912, the monument was built through a donatrion from local businessman, J.F. Strickland. Erected in 1862 by William Rowen. The mill was destroyed in an explosion on April 29,1863 that killed Rowen. The 12th, 19th, and 21st Texas Cavalry regiments were among the best in the Trans-Mississippi Theater. Commanded by Col. William Parsons, this brigade was formed at this site. It served in Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, and the Indian Territory. They became famous for their performance during the 1864 Red River Campaign. Seven Confederate frontier regiments drew supplies from here. Food rations and uniforms were issued. Food rations were issued to the 5 civilized tribes during the war. The soldier on the monument is modeled after a painting of Sam Davis; a Confederate spy captured then hanged in Tennessee. It was sculpted in Italy and erected by Bonham Marble Works The museum houses artifacts and exhibits on early Fannin County settlers through the Civil War period. The headquarters of General Henry E. McCulloch who was charged with defending 600 miles of the Texas border along the Red River. He defended the northwest frontier against Indians, armed bands of deserters and draft evaders. This district provided refug Alabama native Gideon Smith came to Fannin County in 1851 and purchased a 3,000 acre of land. He served as a colonel in the Confederate Army. His brother John C. Smith practiced medicine here. Part of this plantation has been in continuous production of grain and cattle since 1851. Site of a log cabin school 1840 – 1880. An academy was established here where Confederate vet Robert W. Lane taught in July, 1880. Noted Congressman Sam Rayburn ( 1882-1961) taught in Dial. In 1882, Civil War vet and Georgia native Levi Wells (1829-1904) and his wife settled in this area. The community that grew up around their farm became the Ely community. Kentucky native Marshall A. Galbraith (1829-1918) came to Texas in 1847. He served in the 34th Texas Cavalry. He built this Greek Revival home in 1870. His descendants still occupy the house. The first Classic Revival house built with slave labor in 1852 – 1854. The house was sold in 1884 by Wiley Hulsey to Confederate vet Peyton Wheeler and his wife Martha Jane Hamil. A site where Bob Lee was shot by Federal cavalry. Lee's gold coins are rumored to be buried near the cemetery. Many of them were found at a nearby creek in the 1950's. The location of the rest remains a mystery. Solomon L. Leonard came here from Missouri and acquired 10,000 acres around Wildcat Thicket, a favorite hideout for outlaws. Captain Bob Lee (1834-1869), a pro-Confederate leader during the Lee-Peacock fued, was ambushed and killed here. The earliest known resident, Jesse Green Landon, came here from Missouri in 1873 and was a Confederate vet. A transport and food supply center for Confederate troops serving in the Indian Territory. It was the first settlement in Fannin County. Built in 1836 by Abel Warren, an Indian trader from Arkansas. Early settlers came here in the mid 1800’s for the rich farmlands near Wildcat Thicket. A settler named A.J. Russell named Trenton after a Confederate Hospital he was treated at. The family home of Colonel Bass of the 20th Texas Cavalry. Old Bass resided there for 97 years. Confederate vet Thomas Jefferson Sanford and his wife Nannie purchased this 300 acre site in 1871. Sanford descendants continue to occupy the land. George Fitzgerald moved from Virginia to Texas in 1857. He built the home upon his return from the Civil War in 1866. The house is framed with pegged oak logs. One of three monuments in Texas to honor the Union. Memorializes the remains of 6 Union soldiers. Erected by the Nathaniel Lyon Post of the Grand Army of the Republic, Dept of Texas. Confederate vet and lawyer Jot Gunter established the town of Gunter in 1880. It was incorporated in 1914. Before the end of the war, the Union League set up its headquarters at Pilot Grove to protect former slaves and Union sympathizers . The Federal Cavalry supported the Union League during Reconstruction. Bob Lee, a former member of the 9th Texas Cavalry, Sara Virginia Thompson,the daughter of early settler James Thompson, married Confederate vet James A. Potts. Rancher and land developer Potts deeded land for the Dennison Pacific Railway. He also drew up the plan for the new railroad town of Pottsboro tha In 1840, Colonel W.G. Cooke and the Texas 1st Infantry Regiment laid out a military road from Austin to Dallas. The road was extended on to the Holland coffee Trading Post on the Red River. This was a route for cattle drives before the Civil War. This fort was established in 1840 to defend the military road from Austin to the Red River. It was named after Colonel Francis W. Johnson, Commander of the Texas Army during the capture of San Antonio in 1835. Sophia Porter entertained Union scouts at her Glen Eden Plantation while obtaining information for Bourland's Texas Frontier Regiment about a Union incursion into North Texas. She supposedly got the Unionists drunk on wine before escaping across the Red River to warn Bourland . She became known as the "Confederate Paul Revere." The plantation site was covered over by Lake Texoma. Both Ulysses S. Grant and Robert E. Lee were guests there before the war. The 11th Texas served in over 100 battles and skirmishes during the war, mostly with the Army of Tennessee. It served as both a cavalry and infantry regiment. This unit fought continuously until the Army of Tennessee's surrender at Durham Station, NC in A Oldest college in Texas named for Stephen F. Austin. The college stayed open during the Civil War even though most students left to join the Confederate Army. Post war problems and epidemics forced the college to relocate to Sherman in 1876. Connecticut native Noble Birge moved to Texas before the Civil War. He was the first elected sheriff of Marion County in 1860. Birge was a captain and general before moving to Grayson County. He operated a large cotton brokerage firm. This home was built Made with granite from Stone Mountain, GA, this monument features a larger than life bronze figure. The Sherman monument was the first Confederate monument in Texas to feature a Confederate soldier. Men fired their guns in the air and gave the rebel yell A defense and supply center during Civil War. The 11th Texas Cavalry, 20th Texas Cavalry Regiment, the Border Regiment, and 9th Texas Cavalry were formed in Grayson County. Fort Preston on the Red River was used by Confederate forces to defend against I This unit consisted of mounted volunteers from Grayson, Tarrant, Hunt, Hopkins, Cass, Red River, Titus and Lamar counties. Col. William Sims was the commander. Sims was wounded at Pea Ridge. Lt Col. William Quayle took command and served with Lawrence S. A park used by a historical group for old timers to reminisce about the days of the Republic of Texas and the Civil War. Founded in 1879, Mrs. Sophia Porter was the first speaker. She swam the Red River to warn Col. James Bourland that Union troops were This museum includes Civil War era items. Items from Sopia Porter’s Glen Eden Plantation are also included. This Connecticut native served with the Arkansas 6th Infantry. He established a successful hardware business and served on the school board. The house is an excellent example of the Queen Anne-Eastlake style. The home remained in the family until 1987. A school for boys established by Captain John Henry Le Tellier of the Virginia 24th Infantry. Called “Captain” by his students, he played with them at recess and told them stories about the Civil War. Confederate veteran James Umpress built this Queen Anne influenced home for his wife in 1903. The house stayed with the family until 1974. A rendevouz site for Will Quantrill's Missouri guerillas. Quantrill wintered in North Texas to escape Union cavalry after he sacked Lawrence, Kansas. He assisted in hunting down army deserters and Indians. Samuel and Mary came to Texas from Kentucky in the 1860’s. Samuel was a Confederate vet and a successful businessman and land investor. The house was built in 1899-1900 using the Queen Anne Free Classic style. The garden includes the home of Bushrod W.T. Wofford, a reserve Confederate lieutenant. The original home site was on 320 acres. This county sent 1,000 men into the Confederate Army. Athens manufactured cookware and dishes for Confederate troops. John H. Reagan, a resident of Athens, was Postmaster General of the Confederacy. This museum includes a collection of Civil War flags and a replica of a Civil War era general store. A Civil War era kitchen and laundry are also on display. A quartermaster supply depot was set up here for soldiers and their families.. Rev. Hall was a Methodist minister that served with the 14th Texas Cavalry. He became a doctor after the war. Bailey was the bandleader for Hood's Texas Brigade. After the war, he started a circus where Confederate veterans received free admission. He wrote the song "Old Gray Mare She Ain't What She Used To Be" after watching a spooked horse run through his camp One of the few colleges in Texas that remained open during the war. The Military Dept. prepared young men for duty. Col. James Gathings equiped army units for free. The school had over 200 men enrolled. Made from granite from Stone Mountain, Georgia, this monument was erected on July 28, 1925 after the high school band performed a 45 minute concert. The Hillsboro Monument Works Co. built the memorial for $5,000.00. Established in 1964, the Confederate Research Center houses a vast collection of documents relating to Texas' involvement in Flour, shoes, saddles and machinery were produced here for the Confederate Army. This town was named after Confederate Colonel Richard B. Hubbard of the 22nd Texas. He served as Texas Governor 1876-1879. The Stone family settled near here after fleeing from Louisiana during the war. The marker honors refugee families that fled Union occupation in Louisiana and the Indian Territory. Col. King commanded 18th Texas Infantry Regiment during the Battle of Mansfield. He breifly commanded Walker's Division during the Red River Campaign and was promoted to Brigadier General after the battle. King was wounded at Mansfield and later served a Contains research material on Hopkins County. Includes material on residents that lived there during the Civil War. 11 acres of historic buildings. Included are a blacksmith shop, country store, post office, grist mill, chapel and farm homes. The museum contains Civil War artifacts. Served in the Republic of Texas Cavalry and as a scout in 1836. Served in the Confederate Army and was the father of 11 children. He received a grant of 320 acres in 1838. W.A. Willis and Nannie Stewart fled Alabama after the war. Stewart built a dogtrot cabin here on 301 acres. Bible studies, singing and prayer services were held here. In 1896, a church was built. Mrs. M.A. "Aunt Polly" gave 2 acres for the church. Stewart was a church elder. During Reconstruction, the hotel where Union officers were staying was set on fire. In response, Union troops built a stockade to help suppress attacks on newly freed African Americans and Union troops. Unruly civilians were arrested and jailed inside. It was abandoned in 1870. The only Confederate monument in Texas to have stood on the grounds of a public school. The statue is made out of blue granite. The monument was moved in the 1960's after the school building was destroyed to make way for a new post office. Wade served with the 6th Texas calvary. He was also a former member of the Texas Constitutional Convention. Chisum was a colonel of the 2nd Partisan Rangers in Walker's Division. He fought at Mansfield and Pleasant Hill. He represented Kaufman Co. at the Secession Convention and fought under Col. Tom Green during New Mexico Campaign. Unveiled on November 22, 1944, this monument features a larger than life granite figure of a Confederate soldier. The statue was made of granite at the Tyler, TX monument works. An "Old Fiddlers" contest was held to raise money. After the unveiling, one In 1861, Kaufman Co. voted to secede by a three fourths majority. Most companies from here served with the Texas 3rd Cavalry. Broughton served in the 7th Texas Regiment and was captured twice at Ft. Donnelson, TN and Raymond, MS. Both times he was imprisoned at Johnson's Island in Ohio where he fell ill from small pox. He breifly commanded Granbury's Texas Brigade after General Organized in 1860 during the Civil War. One of the oldest active churches in Kaufman County. This home was built in the 1840's by Capt William Weir who fought at the Battle of San Jacinto. It was purchased in Oct, 1882 by Dr. Lycurgush Griffith who treated Sam Houston's leg wound after San Jacinto. House contains family artifacts used during the A Confederate Army vet from Tennessee. Campbell built this house in the late 1860's. He was one of the largest landowners in Lamar County. This home remained in the family for over 100 years. Civil War veteran William J. McDonald opened this bank in 1886. Southern style home of Captain William Moore who commanded the "Shreveport Grays" during the war. After the war, he was a state senator. Granite and bronze monument sculpted by Italian sculptor Pompeo Coppini. It features 4 busts of R.E. Lee,Stonewall Jackson, Albert S. Johnston, and Jefferson Davis. Chisum was a famous cattle baron who supplied beef to the Confederate Army. He drove heards into New Mexico and became involved in the 1876 Lincoln County War. His cowboys helped guard the Northwest Texas frontier against Indians. Actor John Wayne portrayed him in the movie "Chisum." Law partner of General Sam B. Maxey. Built his home in 1876. He was a veteran of Nathan B. Forrest's Cavalry and married Maxey's daughter Dora. He became a state senator and Chief Justice of the 5th Court of Civil Appeals. This county raised 9 companies for the Confederacy. The 9th Texas Infantry was formed here. The rich farming area provided food for the Confederate Army. This museum exhibits Lamar County during the Civil War and includes a military gallery. Maxey was a Confederate Major General that commanded in the Indian Territory (12/63 - 2/65) during the Civil War. His Confederate Indian raids on Union supply columns helped prevent a Union invasion of North Texas. He was later a U.S. Senator 1875- 1887. A cavalry company (Co. E, 9th Texas regiment) organized here near a popular grove of Persimmon trees. Captain James Hill instructed his men here. They fought with the Confederate Army of Tennessee. John Wilburn built this home in 1857 with the help of slaves. Wilburn died during the war. His widow, Sara Jane, married Wilburn's cousin, Aaron Nettles Wilburn. They had 8 children. The home is still owned by their descendants. A church organized by slaves was incorporated into Chatfield Baptist in 1858. This church had both black and white congregations. This plantation home was built in 1860 by steamboat Captain Robert Hodge. The plantation consisted of 1,280 acres and over 100 slaves. One of the slave cabins still exists. It was here that General Jo Shelby held the last review of his troopers before going to Mexico. They were known as the "Iron Brigade" and were the last organized Confederate unit left in the Trans-Mississippi Theater. A Confederate quartermaster depot was established near the marker. Corsicana sent 450 men to fight for the Confederacy. An excerpt from a Jefferson Davis speech is inscribed on the monument. Consists of a 9 foot, bronze bugler. Thirteen girls pulled the cords to unveil the monument on January 20, 1908. It was designed by Italian sculptor Louis Amateis. Printed during the war, the "Express" was only printed when there was enough paper available. Colonel McKamey served in the Texas Legislature and raised over 150 men for Hood's Texas Brigade. He was wounded at Gettysburg. Moved to Texas from Kentucky in 1849 and represented Navarro County in the Texas Legislature from 1859 to 1860. He served as a colonel in the 10th Texas Infantry. After the war he became a U.S Congressman from 1873 to 1892. Brown skippered the Confederate ironclad "CSS Arkansas". He sailed through a Union river fleet in defense of Vicksburg, Mississippi. Brown was wounded twice and awarded a Confederate Medal of Honor. He also invented an underwater mine that sank the Union ironclad "USS Cairo." Ewing E. Dunn built this house after arriving from Kentucky. He served as a 2nd Lt. in the Confederate Army. After the war he became a sheriff from 1876-1884. S.M. Ransom purchased the home in 1890. Five generations of Ransoms lived there. Known as the "Mother of Confederate Reunions." After the war, the wife of Lt. Colonel Thomas Glover of the 21st Georgia Infantry, visited with his comrades in Campbellton Co., Georgia. Glover died at the 3rd Battle of Winchester. Elizabeth talked over the war with former members of the 21st. This started the reunions that occured all over the South. The Texas Loan Agency was located in this building after the war. Damon established the agency and was a Confederate Prisoner of War. Judge Simkins moved here from South Carolina. He was a Justice of the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals, helped create the Texas Railroad Commission, and served as a regent of the University of Texas. He served four years in the Confederate Army. His brother William Simkins was credited with firing the first shot at Ft. Sumter. This museum displays documents and artifacts donated by Charles and Peggy Pearce. Both sides of the war are represented. More than 14,000 items are included in the Pearce Collection. Contains a number of Civil War Era structures including a slave quarters, blacksmith shop, trading post, and general store. Samuel Frost served with the 19th Texas Cavalry and studied law after the war. He served as a county judge and state legislator. The town of Frost was named after him. Former Corsicana Mayor Charle H. Allyn organized the 1st National Bank and a cotton mill. He settled in Corsicana in 1868. A Confederate training camp was located here. The town celebrated the secession of South Carolina by firing anvils into the air. At this site, Megarity built a prosperous 187 acre farm in 1876. He served in the Confederate Army and was present at Gettysburg, Petersburg and Appomattox. Community of former slaves existed here. Number of exhibits on slavery and the Civil War. A Virginia native that operated a toll bridge on the East Fork of the Trinity River. He was also a justice of the peace who had five sons that served in the Confederate Army. The personal effects of Confederate doctors Dr. Schofield and Dr. Mason are on display here as well as artifacts from Rockwall County's history. Provided spiritual outreach during and after the Civil War. Rains came to Texas from Georgia in 1858. He served under General R.M. Gano's Texas Cavalry Regiment during the war. After the Civil War, he served as a county judge, newspaper publisher and state librarian under Gov. James Hogg. He rebuilt the neglected Contains Civil War artifacts from Van Zandt residents and genealogical records. Also contains artifacts from the 1850's. General Jo Shelby's Confederate cavalry (Shelby's Iron Brigade) refused to surrender after the war. Shelby's troopers journeyed south from Missouri, through Texas, then crossed the Rio Grande River into Mexico. Shelby camped at Stone Point near Canton whi Born in 1818, Reagan was Postmaster General for the Confederacy. Along with Jefferson Davis, he was imprisoned breifly after the war. Reagan was elected to Congress in 1875 and relocated to Nacogdoches in 1839 where he became a state representative. President of Secession Convention in 1861. He was also a Colonel of the 11th Texas Infantry and a state supreme court judge during the Civil War. Governor of Texas in 1878 and a law professor at the University of Texas in 1893. Helped form the Texas Histo This church served a congregation of 25 in the once thriving community of Corinth. Thomas McAdams Post (1843-1931) was the pastor. Several vets are buried nearby. A large saline deposit here served as a source of salt for the Confederate Army to preserve meat. Sam Richardson built the saltworks in 1854 and joined the Confederate Army in 1861. He left his wife to manage the works. 10,000 pounds of salt were made daily. When salt became scarce, Southern women dug up the floors of smokehouses to extract salt from the soil. Trail used by Caddo Indian Tribe and French Traders. Used for troop movements during the Civil War. Confederate vet and mercantile businessman, T.Z. Woodhouse, built this home in 1872. He served in the 6th Texas Cavalry and was married to Sarah Elizabeth Nash. His descendants still own the house. ral, and historical materials of the African American community. The 1869-1925 exhibit features the remnants of the once thriving North F. Strickland. o Texas' involvement in the Civil War. "Texas Blue and Gray" gallery offers weapons, flags, and other artifacts for public viewing. nity. The 1869-1925 exhibit features the remnants of the once thriving North Dallas commun " gallery offers weapons, flags, and other artifacts for public viewing. North Texas Lakes Trail Region Civil War Related Sites Western Counties Civil War Site City County Archer County Copper Mines Archer City Archer Camp Cureton C.S.A. Archer City Archer Jesse James Hideout Archer City Archer Camp Stonewall Jackson Holliday Archer Edward D. and Mary S. Miler Marker Seymour Baylor Bosque County Museum Clifton Bosque Jens Jenson Homestead Clifton Bosque Site of Clifton Mill Clifton Bosque General Alison Nelson Marker Meridian Bosque John Olde Cabin Valley Mills Bosque Pool-Tibbs House Valley Mills Bosque Rock Springs Cumberland Presbyterian Church Valley Mills Bosque Captain J.J. Cureton Walnut Springs Bosque James Buckner Barry C.S.A. Walnut Springs Bosque Buffalo Springs C.S.A. Site Buffalo Springs Clay "The Great Hanging" Gainesville Cooke 2nd Frontier Regiment Marker Gainesville Cooke Confederate Monument Gainesville Cooke Gainsville Marker Gainesville Cooke Morton Museum Gainesville Cooke Potter - Hurley House Gainesville Cooke W.T.G. Weaver Gainesville Cooke William O. Davis House Gainesville Cooke African American Museum Denton Denton Confederate Monument Denton Denton Nash Farm Grapevine Tarrant Lane Chapel C.M.E. Church Lewisville Denton Pilot Point Regulators Pilot Point Denton William E. Partlow Marker Sanger Denton Wise County C.S.A. Marker Sanger Denton General H. B. Granbury Grave Granbury Hood General H. B. Granbury Monument and Marker Granbury Hood Granbury Home Granbury Hood Hood County Jail and Museum Granbury Hood Jesse James Tombstone in Hood County Granbury Hood John Wilkes Booth Tale Granbury Hood U.S. Veterans Museum Granbury Hood Maj. General John Bell Hood Marker Granbury Hood Veterans Home Granbury Hood Colonel Middleton T. Johnson Marker Cleburne Johnson Confederate Monument Cleburne Johnson General Patrick Cleburne Marker Cleburne Johnson Layland Museum Cleburne Johnson Old City Spring Cleburne Johnson Riggs Pennington Home Cleburne Johnson Beaumont Ranch Grandview Johnson Early Cattle Trail Rio Vista Johnson Lowell Smith Home Rio Vista Johnson Red River Station Bowie Montague Pelhams Marker Bowie Montague Forestburg Marker Forestburg Montague Stonewall Saloon Saint Jo Montague Confederate Civil War Statue Weatherford Parker Historic Tree Collection Weatherford Parker Doss Heritage and Culture Center Weatherford Parker Parker County C.S.A. Marker Weatherford Parker Soldier Springs Weatherford Parker Weatherford C.S.A. Weatherford Parker Glen Rose C.S.A. Glen Rose Somervell Squaw Creek Indian Fight Glen Rose Somervell Knapp Heritage Park Arlington Tarrant Six Flags Over Texas Arlington Tarrant William M. Rice Marker Azle Tarrant Northeast Tarrant County Civil War Veterans Memorial Bedford Tarrant Dr. Lilburn Howard Colley Colleyville Tarrant Site of Mosier Valley School Euless Tarrant St. John Missionary Baptist Church Euless Tarrant Amon Carter Museum Ft. Worth Tarrant Confederate Monument Ft. Worth Tarrant Confederate Park Ft. Worth Tarrant Dr George M. Munchus House Ft. Worth Tarrant First Church of Fort Worth Ft. Worth Tarrant First Hundred Years of TCU Exhibit Ft. Worth Tarrant Ft Worth Stockyards Museum Ft. Worth Tarrant General H.P. Mabry Marker Ft. Worth Tarrant Grave of General Thomas N. Waul Ft. Worth Tarrant James E. Guinn School Ft. Worth Tarrant John Peter Smith Marker Ft. Worth Tarrant Log Cabin Village Ft. Worth Tarrant Major K.M. Van Zandt Cottage Ft. Worth Tarrant Major K.M. Van Zandt Marker Ft. Worth Tarrant Texas Civil War Museum Ft. Worth Tarrant Thomas B. Saunders Family Marker Ft. Worth Tarrant Grapevine Grapevine Tarrant Birdville Church of Christ Haltom City Tarrant William Letchworth Hurst Marker Hurst Tarrant Mansfield Mill Mansfield Tarrant Ralph Mann Homestead Mansfield Tarrant Alfred Madison Hightower Marker N. Richkland Hills Tarrant White Settlement Historical Museum White Settlement Tarrant William Terry Allen Cabin White Settlement Tarrant Tenth Cavalry Creek Burkburnett Wichita Wilbarger County Courthouse Vernon Wilbarger Robert Calvin Mount Home Chico Wise Cattle Crossing Trail Decatur Wise First United Methodist Church Decatur Wise Jesse and Frank James Campsite Decatur Wise Randolph Vesey Marker Decatur Wise Sam Woody Cabin Decatur Wise Texas Ranger Captain Ira Long Decatur Wise Wise County C.S.A. Marker Decatur Wise Wise County Historical Museum Decatur Wise Wise County Reunion Grounds Decatur Wise Slidell Marker Slidell Wise Location SH 25 northwest about 4.5 miles SH 79 at Center Street SH 79 at Center Street FM 368 FM 1286 301 S. Ave. Q CR 4175 SH 6 at Riverside Courthouse on SH 22 Intersection of Olde Ln. and CR 401 108 Tibbs Dr. FM 1637 SH 144 at Walnut Springs Park Walnut Springs Park on SH 144 FM 174 and FM 3077 W. California St. east of IH 35 near Pecan Creek SH 51 at Moffett Park Courthouse, Main and Commerce St. US 82 E. Roadside Park 210 S. Dixon 108 Church St. 311 S. Weaver 505 South Denton 317 W. Mulberry Courthouse Square 626 Ball St. 615 Hembry St. Town Square 611 West Plum FM 455 Granbury cemetery. Moore St. and Hwy 51 Granbury Courthouse, Houston and Bridge Streets 104 E. Pearl 208 North Crocket Granbury Cemetary. N. Crockett St. Granbury Opera House Granbury Courthouse on Pearl St. 601 Thorpe Springs Courthouse Square at Hwy 174-171 Courthouse, Main and Henderson Courthouse Square at Hwy 174-171 201 North Caddo W. Wardville St. Hwy 171 near city limits 10736 County Rd. 102 Rio Vista St. Bank on SH 174 FM 916 US 83 west of Nocona Pelham Park, Pelham St. @ FM 3043 SH 455 North corner of public square US 180, Courthouse Square 567 Maddux Road 1400 Texas Dr. US 180, Courthouse Square Thrush St. US 180, Courthouse Square Courthouse Square 2 miles north of Glen Rose on FM 144 201 W. Front St. 2201 Road to Six Flags 310 S. Stewart 2401 Bedford Rd. 5400 Bransford Rd. Knapp and Mosier St. 3324 House Anderson Rd. 3501 Camp Bowie Blvd. Oakwood cemetery at 700 Grand Ave. FM 1886, Confederate Park Rd. 1130 E. Terrell Ave. 612 Throckmorton 2800 South University 131 E. Exchange Trinity Park at 2900 Crestline Oakwood cemetery at 700 Grand Ave. 1100 Louisiana 1100 Throckmorton 2100 Log Cabin Village Lane Trinity Park at 2900 Crestline Trinity Park at 2900 Crestline and 700 Grand Ave. 760 Jim Wright Frwy North 100 E. Exchange St. 211 Main St. 3208 Carson St. 1505 Precint Line Rd. 100 East Broad St. 604 W. Broad St. 6600 Smithfield Rd. 8320 Hanon Dr. 8320 Hanon Dr. SH 240 at Tenth Cavalry Crossing Town Square N. Mount St. U.S. 380 between Decatur and Denton 104 S. Miller Rd. 5 miles from Decatur on U.S. 380. State St. at Courthouse 1602 S. Trinity CR 4226 Courthouse Square 1602 S. Trinity St. Decatur St. Main St. at FM 455 Description Copper was mined here to make gun caps. A wartime shortage of men prevented extensive mining operations. A Texas Frontier Regiment camped in the vicinity during the Civil War. The frontier regiments protected supply columns and settlements from Indians and Union Invaders. The camp was named after Captain Jack Cureton, the camp commander. Famed Missouri guerilla and outlaw, Jesse James, hid out at his sister's house in Archer County. His sister, Susan, was married to Allen Parmer, who rode with Will Quantrill. The Parmers are buried at Riverside Cemetery in Wichita Falls. From 1898 to 1935, Confederate veterans held reunions here. 500 people attended each year. Purchased by the United Confederate Veterans in 1898. The meetings usually lasted 3 days. One of four couples that founded Seymour. They were plantation owners and moved to Seymour in 1875 after the Civil War. Contains artifacts on the settlement of Bosque County. It also includes artifacts from the Civil War period. This small ranch house belonged to Norwegian immigrant Jens Jenson who came to Texas in 1854. He served with the Confederate Frontier Regiment and had 11 children. His grandson Ardon Jenson still farms the ancestral acres. Site of a wooden mill powered by the Bosque River. It was used by the Confederate Army as a commisary. General Nelson trained and led the 10th Texas Infantry Regiment. His regiment repulsed a Union assault at Devall's Bluff in Arkansas. He later died of disease in October, 1862 in Austin, Arkansas. He was a former mayor of Atlanta, GA before the war. Tennessse native John Olde built this log cabin in 1860. Olde served as a Texas Ranger and fought the Kickapoo tribe at Dove Creek. Built by S.A. Pool in 1870. Robert A. Tibbs of the 3rd Texas Cavalry purchased the home in 1891. Former slave Rev. James B. Sadler started a black congregation here after the war. Curreton was a captain of frontier troops during the Civil War that guarded against Comanche raids and Union incursions. He helped rescue Cynthia Anne Parker from the Comanches. Barry commanded a cavalry regiment that patrolled along the Red River for Indian attacks and Union troops. In 1864, twenty five families established a fortified outpost for protection against Comanches. Frontier families were vulnerable to Indian attacks while the men were off fighting in the war. It was used by Confederate Cavalry at intervals to patrol for Forty Two suspected Unionists of a Peace Party were tried then hanged by a "Citizen's Court." Citzens in Cooke County were fearful of a Unionist conspiracy to seize North Texas. Colonel W.C. Young presided over the formation of the "Citizens Court" fol Organized in October, 1863, the 2nd Frontier patrolled the Red River border and Indian Territory to prevent Union incursions and Indian raids. Nine military units were formed in Cooke County. Emphasizes the sacrifice of women as well as celebrating the Confederate soldier. Founded in 1850 and named for General Edmund P. Gaines, who in 1836 aided the Republic of Texas. A military supply headquarters was established here during the Civil War. Focuses on the history of Cooke County. Includes the Civil War period. Captain L.W. Lee of the Confederate Army came here in 1869 from Missouri. He purchased the home as a wedding gift for his daughter Ella Potter in 1894. William Thomas Green Weaver came to Texas from Illinois in 1840. He was a school teacher and attorney. He served in the Confederate Army and was a delegate to the Texas Constitutional Convention in 1875. Georgia native, Civil War vet and Mayor, William O. Davis came to Texas in 1870. He was self educated and became a prominent attorney. He was in the Texas Senate (1876-1882). Focuses on African American life. The Civil War Period is included. Erected by the United Daughters of the Confederacy in memory of Denton County residents that served in the Confederate Army. It is equiped with 2 water fountains that no longer work. In 1999, the monument became a subject of controversy when an African A Purchase in 1859 by Thomas Jefferson Nash. The site Includes house, farm, and cemetery. This facility also includes exhibits on the Civil War period. Organized in 1882 by former slaves. The Colored Methodist Church was renamed Lane Chapel in 1902 after Bishop Issac Lane. A vigilante group that hanged 6 cattle rustlers during the war. A former Union soldier and jewelry theif, "Spoon" Butler, was hanged from an oak tree at the town square. A former member of the Virginia 6th Cavalry that surrendered at Appomatox. First he was a merchant and then he was elected Mayor in 1892. He served in New Mexico 1907-1913 as Commissioner of U.S. Circuit District Courts. He returned to Sanger and served a Established in 1852. Operated by Confederate vet Lock S. Forester who increased its size to 6,000 acres. Gravesite of General Granbury who was killed at the Battle of Franklin. His remains were reinterred in Granbury in 1893. This monument pays tribute to Gen. Hiram Granbury of Granbury's Texas Brigade that fought under Patrick Cleburne's command in the Confederate Army of Tennessee. Before the war, Granbury was a lawyer in Waco. He was killed at the Battle of Franklin, TN. General Granbury's widow and his 3 children lived here. She operated a boarding house to support her family. Actual jail used by Hood County. Downstairs is a historical museum on Hood County. Hood Co. is named after Confederate General John Bell Hood, who commanded Hood's Texas Brigade. Did Jesse James really die in Granbury on August 15, 1951? 101 year old J. Frank Dalton claimed to be the real Jesse James shortly before his death. A DNA test in 1995 seemed to confirm that Jesse James was killed and buried in Missouri. Granbury bartender John St. Helen was believed to have actually been John Wilkes Booth, who made his way to Texas after Lincoln's assassination. Conspiracy buffs believe Lincoln's assassination was carried out by members of his own cabinet and Booth was u Collection of Civil War artifacts This marker pays tribute to Major General John Bell Hood who commanded Hood's Texas Brigade and the Army of Tennessee. Hood lost a leg and use of of an arm during the war. He died from Yellow Fever in New Orleans. Hood County is named after him. This museum honors veterans from all conflicts. The South Carolina born Johnson commanded the 14th Texas Regiment that saw service on both sides of the Misssssippi. He also supervized a blockade running system to bring in supplies for the Confederacy. He lost 2 sons during the war. Johnson County is na Consists of a shaft atop a large public drinking basin. Known as the Stonewall Jackson of the West, Irish born Patrick Cleburne commanded one of the best brigades in the Confederate Army. Cleburne's brigade held off a Union assault on Missionary Ridge, buying time for the Army of Tennessee's retreat from Chatt Local museum that contains numerous Civil War artifacts including General Cleburne's pistol. Watering spot for Confederate Camp Henderson. For a nickel, young boys would take water into town for merchants to use. Penning was a Confederate soldier. He was also a banker and farmer. Re-enactment and education living history museum dedicated to teaching by demonstration. Upcoming events are posted on the internet. Confederate Lt. Col. J.F. Scurlock drove cattle from here to Southern Louisiana. He provided beef for the Confederacy. Scurlock died in a Federal prison after being arrested. The 1850's home of Civil War vet and banker John Wesley Smith. Established in 1861 as a Frontier Regiment outpost. It was used to guard against Indians and Union troops. "Bowie Pelhams" United Confederate Veterans named after John Pelham, commander of artillery for Gen. Jeb Stewart Established after the Civil War in memory of pioneers who battled Indians. Established in 1873 and was the town's first permanent structure. Named after Stonewall Jackson. Honors Parker County residents that served in the Confederate Army. Historic trees from the Civil War Life in Parker County During Civil War Era Parker County sent 9 companies to the Confederacy. Local rancher John R. Baylor became the Confederate Governor of the Arizona Territory during the New Mexico Campaign. He served in the Confederate Congress from 1863 to 1865. The 19th Texas Cavalry of Pa Site of a Confederate camp which used the nearby spring. Confederate veterans used the camp for their 25th reunion. Founded in 1856 by State Senator and Confederate soldier Jefferson Weatherford. Frontier settlers found protection here during the war from Comanches. Cotton grown here was used by the Confederacy to trade for arms and supplies. Confederate Frontier Cavalry drove off a raiding party of 25 Indians that killed settler, Rigman Bryant, and a slave. Stolen horses were recovered. Unfortunatley the slave was shot full of arrows. Contains numerous buildings and exhibits on pioneer life including Arlington residents during the Civil War. The theme of this amusement park are the six flags of the six countries (Spain, Mexico, France, Republic of Texas, Confederate States of America, and U.S.A.) that ruled Texas. For four years (1861-1865), Texas was governed by the Confederate States of Ame William M. Rice came to Texas in 1834 where he served during the Texas Revolution and was wounded at San Jacinto. During the Civil War, he made hats and hauled supplies for the Confederate Army. He settled in Tarrant County in 1874 where he died. This memorial contains the names and allegiances of 500 Civil War vets who lived, owned land, or are buried in Northeast Tarrant County. The memorial was dedicated in 2008. Dr. L.H. Colley served with the Union 48th Missouri Infantry as a drmmer. He moved to Texas in 1880 and settled in the Colleyville area in 1885. He practiced medicine and conducted school trustee elections for the Pleasant Run School District. In 1870, former slaves Robert and Dilsie Johnson received a 40 acre tract as a wedding gift from plantation owner Lucy Lee. Other freedman settled in the area known as Mosier Valley where a community was formed in 1883. In 1874, a small group of former slaves met at the home of Frank Young and organized the congregation that was originally named Oak Grove Baptist Church. A preeminent art museum that includes works depicting events and people of the Civil War. Erected in 1939, this monument features a Confederate private in an unofficial uniform. The park was purchase by the United Confederate Veterans' R.E. Lee Camp in 1901. The 373 acre site with a 25 year charter was for the recreation, relief and refuge of Confederate soldiers and their families. A statewide reunion Sept. 8-12,1903 had 3,500 a Constructed in 1922 for Dr. George Munchus (1887-1952), the son of a former slave and a physician with the Ft. Worth Negro Community Hospital. Organized by Reverend A.M. Dean in a log house used by the fort's surgeon for the 2nd U.S. Army Dragoons. The structure was also used as the first public school by Col. John Peter Smith. General R.M. Gano preached here after the war. The founder of TCU, R The sons of founder Joseph Addisson Clark (1815-1910) served in the Confederate Army. Addison(1842-1911) was a Jr. 2nd Lieutenant with the 16th Texas Cavalry and Randolph (1844-1935) served in a Texas Confederate Army Unit. A museum dedicated to the history of Ft. Worth. It has several exhibits on Ft. Worth during the Civil War. Texas legislator that served under General Nathan Bedford Forrest who kept Union troops bottled up at Memphis. While scouting General Fremont's Union Army, he shattered his arm while fighting off 7 Union troopers with a Bowie kife. He was shot 3 times an South Carolina native, Colonel Thomas Waul (1813-1903), a signer of the 1861 Confederate Constitution, formed Waul's Texas Legion that saw service during the Vicksburg Campaign. He led a brigade in the Red River Campaign of 1864. Waul returned to Texas in Established for African American children in 1883. Prior to that, Black children were taught in churches. Named after former slave James E. Guinn who became a Chemistry Professor at Prairie View A & M. Kentucky native John Peter Smith raised a company of Tarrant Co. men that served in Sibley's New Mexico Campaign and helped recapture Galveston. He came to Texas in 1853.He later donated the land for John Peter Smith Hospital and Oakwood Cemetery where he A collection of structures relating to North Texas history 1840 - 1890. Docents perform demonstarations of early settlers' everyday chores. Built in the 1850's and was a haven for travellers during the Trinity River Floods. It was the home of Major Khleber Miller Van Zandt (1839-1930). He was a merchant, lawyer, banker, state legislator (1873), and railroad builder. Tennessee native Van Zandt came to Texas in 1839 and was admitted to the bar in 1858. He raised a Texas Co. for the 7th Infantry. He was captured at Ft. Donelson, TN and imprisoned at Camp Douglas in Illinois. After his exchange he was promoted to major i Largest civil war museum west of the Mississippi. Includes the extensive collections of Ray and Judy Richey and the Texas Branch of the United Daughters of the Confederacy. The museum includes a large theater and giftshop. Group fieldtrips are accomodate North Carolina native Thomas Bailey Saunders started a cattle ranch in 1850 near Gonzales, TX. His son William David Harris Saunders supplied beef for the Confedrate Army. Named for the wild mustang grapes that grew profusely in the area. Missouri natives Ambrose and Susanna L. Foster were among the first settlers in 1845. Their daughters and son-in-laws acquired land that became the heart of Grapevine. Beef cattle was sold Confederate General Richard M. Gano conducted a revival here in 1900. Tennessee native William L. Hurst (1833-1922) served with the 61st Tennessee Infantry and fought at Vicksburg until the city surrendered. He was captured in December, 1863 near Tazewell, TN and spent the remainder of the war in military prisons in Kentuck In 1859-1860, Julian Field (1825-1897) and Ralph Mann (1825-1906) built a three story steam powered wheat and corn mill. The mill attracted business from as far away as San Antonio and the Indian Territory. The name Mansfield was given to the community th Ralph Sandiford Mann was one of the founders of Mansfield and operated a steam powered grist mill that supplied grain to the Confederacy. After the Civil War, the mill supplied Ft. Belknap and Ft. Griffin. Mann built the cabin in 1866 and later added bric Illinois native Alfred M. Hightower came to Texas in 1858 and became a prominent rancher. Initially opposed to secession, he served as a mounted rifleman in the Confederate Army and fought at the Battle of Pea Ridge. Dedicated to the preservation of articles, homes and exhibits on early White Settlement residents. Features an exhibit on White Settlement men who served the Confederacy during the Civil War. Kentucky native William T. Allen (1842-1893) settled here in 1857. William served in the Confederate Army and built the cabin after the war. The cabin was relocated to its present address in 2003. African Americans that served in the Union Army were stationed at an outpost here after the war. The outpost was attacked by Indians from across the Red River. Their dead were buried in a mass grave. Features a statue dedicated to all Confederate soldiers from Wilbarger County. 1st Lt. Robert Calvin Mount of Blythe's Militia served the Confederacy. Born in Tennesse, he came to Texas in 1855. The house was built in 1874 from stones that Mount and his sons hauled from Palo Pinto County. Mount is buried in the nearby family cemeter Cattle trail blazed by Jesse Chisholm after the war in 1865. Organized in 1862, it had the oldest congregation in Decatur. It served the community during the Civil War. Former Missouri guerillas and famed outlaws Frank and Jesse James camped near here. Their campsites were sometimes known to scattered settlers, who feared or befriended the outlaws. Vessey was an African American slave that served as a battlefield aide to Confederate General W.L. Cabel. A popular fiddle player, he was kidnapped by Comanches then held for ransom. Ponies were delivered to the Comanches to obtain his release. Black sco Tennessee pioneer, Sam Woody, built a cabin near Deep Creek in 1854. Woody helped guard the frontier against Indian raids and served in the Confederate Army. The cabin served as a trading post where Indians traded Buffalo robes for corn. It was also a p Wounded twice while serving in the Confederate Army. Born in Indiana, Long served as Captain of Company A Texas Rangers. This company was the official escort of Texas Ranger Commander Major John B. Jones in the 1870's. County was named after Henry Wise; a Virginia senator that voted for the annexation of Texas. The 1st District of the state militia was headquartered here. They provided protection against Indians and chased down army deserters. 100 deserters were captur Collection of artifacts from Civil War period. Includes a very fine horse drawn funeral carriage. Site of reunions for Civil War vets and pioneers. Upwards of 12,000 attended, parading from the courthouse to the camp ground. Programs included speeches, rodeos, and battle re-enactments. The 3 day reunion is the oldest recurring public event in the coun Town named after John Slidell who was one of the Confederate diplomats captured during the "Trent Affair." The community supplied goods and services to nearby farmers. North Texas Lakes Trail Region Civil War Related Sites Cemeteries Cemetery City County Zone England Community Cemetery Seymour Baylor 1 Oswald Cemetery Clifton Bosque 3 Poston - Olde Cemetery Valley Mills Bosque 3 Pleasant Valley Cemetery Buffalo Springs Clay 1 Allen Cemetery Allen Collin 2 Rowlett Creek Cemetery Allen Collin 2 Huson Cemetery Farmersville Collin 2 Frankford Cemetery Frankford Collin 2 Altoga Cemetery McKinney Collin 2 Bradley Cemetery McKinney Collin 2 Pecan Grove Memorial Park McKinney Collin 2 Melissa Cemetery Melissa Collin 2 Young Cemetery Plano Collin 2 Manion Cemetey Gainesville Cooke 1 Fairview Cemetery Gainsville Cooke 1 Bethel Cemetery Coppell Dallas 2 Cox Cemetery Dallas Dallas 2 Five Mile Cemetery Dallas Dallas 2 Freedman's Cemetery Dallas Dallas 2 Gavin Memorial Cemetery Dallas Dallas 2 Greenwood Cemetery Dallas Dallas 2 Merrell Cemetery Dallas Dallas 2 Pioneer Cemetery Dallas Dallas 2 Rylie Cemetery Dallas Dallas 2 Western Heights Cemetery Dallas Dallas 2 Keenan Cemetery Farmers Branch Dallas 2 Pioneer Cemetery Garland Dallas 2 Shady Grove Cemetery Grand Prairie Dallas 2 Dawdy's Ferry Hutchins Dallas 2 Shelton's Bear Creek Cemetery Irving Dallas 2 Potter Cemetery Mesquite Dallas 2 Z. Motley Cemetery Mesquite Dallas 2 Lee Cemetery Seagoville Dallas 2 Chinn's Chapel Cemetery Copper Canyon Denton 1 I.O.O.F Cemetery Denton Denton 1 Oakwood Cemetery Denton Denton 1 Swisher Cemetery Lake Dallas Denton 1 Smith Cemetery Lewisville Denton 1 Bolivar Cemetery Sanger Denton 1 Bridges Cemetery The Colony Denton 1 Myrtle Cemetery Ennis Ellis 3 Milford Cemetery Milford Ellis 3 Ovilla Cemetery Ovilla Ellis 3 Richardson Cemetery Reagor Springs Ellis 3 Red Oak Cemetery Red Oak Ellis 3 Bell's Chapel Cemetery Rockett Ellis 3 Arledge Ridge Cemetery Bonham Fanin 2 Moore's Chapel Cemetery Bonham Fanin 2 McGraw's Chapel Honey Grove Fanin 2 Oakwood Cemetery Honey Grove Fanin 2 Ladonia Cemetery Ladonia Fanin 2 Grove Hill Leonard Fanin 2 Leonard Cemetery Leonard Fanin 2 Lindsey-Randolph Cemetery Randolph Fanin 2 Burns Cemetery Trenton Fanin 2 Baron Cemetery Collinsville Grayson 2 Coffman Cemetery Denison Grayson 2 Hall Cemetery Howe Grayson 2 Preston Cemetery Pottsboro Grayson 2 Hendrix Cemetery Sherman Grayson 2 Hill Cemetary Sherman Grayson 2 Old Cedar Community Cemetery Sherman Grayson 2 West Hill Cemetery Sherman Grayson 2 Vittitoe Cemetery Whitewright Grayson 2 Athens Cemetery Athens Henderson 3 Meredith Campground Athens Henderson 3 Shelby Chapel Cemetery Athens Henderson 3 Old Rock Hill Cemetery Brownsboro Henderson 3 Red Hill Cemetery Brownsboro Henderson 3 Cottonwood Cemetery Eustace Henderson 3 Clark Cemetery Gainesville Henderson 3 Tool Cemetery Tool Henderson 3 Whitney Memorial Park Lake Whitney Hill 3 Granbury Cemetery Granbury Hood 3 Granbury Cemetery Granbury Hood 3 Balch-Senterwood Cemetery Alvarado Johnson 3 Cleburne Memorial Park Cleburne Johnson 3 Grandview Cemetery Grand View Johnson 3 Union Hill Presbyterian Church Joshua Johnson 3 Hillcrest Cemetery Fourney Kaufman 3 Fox Cemetery Kaufman Kaufman 3 Baker Cemetery Kemp Kaufman 3 Oaklawn Cemetery Terrell Kaufman 3 Old Cemetery of Paris Paris Lamar 2 Hickory Grove Cemetary Roxton Lamar 2 Lee Cemetery Roxton Lamar 2 Brushy Cemetery Bowie Montague 1 Perryman Cemetery Forestburg Montague 1 Montague Cemetery Montague Montague 1 Molsbee Chapel Cemetery Nocona Montague 1 Center Point Cemetery Saint Jo Montague 1 Grange Hall Cemetery Barry Navarro 3 Dresden Cemetery Blooming Grove Navarro 3 Connor Cemetary Corsicana Navarro 3 Modrall Memorial Park Corsicana Navarro 3 Oakwood Cemetery Corsicana Navarro 3 Eureka Cemetery Eureka Navarro 3 Long Prairie Cemetery Kerens Navarro 3 Rice Cemetery Rice Navarro 3 Richland Cemetery Richland Navarro 3 Younger Cemetery Silver City Navarro 3 Annetta Cemetery Aledo Parker 1 Hoggard-Reynolds Cemetery Azle Parker 1 Goforth Graves Cresson Parker 1 Lemley Cemetery Lemley Parker 1 Hiner Cemetery Weatherford Parker 1 Old City - Greenwood Cemetery Weatherford Parker 1 Spring Creek Cemetery Weatherford Parker 1 Zion Hill Weatherford Parker 1 Ambrose Fitzgerald Cemetery Emory Rains 2 Mount Zion Cemetery Fate Rockwall 2 Chalk Mountain Cemetery Chalk Mountain Somervell 3 Arlington Cemetery Arlington Tarrant 1 Johnson Station Cemetery Arlington Tarrant 1 Bedford Cemetery Bedford Tarrant 1 Benbrook Cemetery Benbrook Tarrant 1 Dido Cemetery Dido Tarrant 1 Oakwood Cemetery Ft. Worth Tarrant 1 Pioneer's Rest Cemetery Ft. Worth Tarrant 1 Ford Cemetery Grand Prairie Tarrant 1 I.D. Parker Cemetery Haltom City Tarrant 1 New Trinity Cemetery Haltom City Tarrant 1 Bourland Cemetery Keller Tarrant 1 Rodgers Cemetery Kennedale Tarrant 1 Cumberland Presbyterian Cemetery Mansfield Tarrant 1 Smithfield Cemetery N. Richland Hills Tarrant 1 Hood Cemetery Southlake Tarrant 1 White's Chapel Cemetery Southlake Tarrant 1 Cox Cemetey Canton Van Zandt 3 High Cemetery Canton Van Zandt 3 Hillcrest Cemetery Canton Van Zandt 3 Morris Cemetery Canton Van Zandt 3 Starr Cemetery and School Canton Van Zandt 3 Wesley Chapel Cemetery Canton Van Zandt 3 Frontier Red Hill Cemetery Edom Van Zandt 3 Ingram Cemetery Edom Van Zandt 3 Corinth Cemetary Grand Saline Van Zandt 3 Creagleville Grand Saline Van Zandt 3 Holly Springs Cemetery Martin's Mill Van Zandt 3 Tidmore Cemetery Martin's Mill Van Zandt 3 Jones Cemetary Willis Point Van Zandt 3 New Hope Cemetary Willis Point Van Zandt 3 White Rose Cemetary Willis Point Van Zandt 3 Riverside Cemetery Wichita Falls Wichita 1 Rosemont Cemetery Wichita Falls Wichita 1 Aurora Cemetery Aurora Wise 1 Deep Creek Community Cemetery Boyd Wise 1 Oaklawn Cemetery Decatur Wise 1 Preskitt Cemetery Decatur Wise 1 Rush Creek Cemetery Decatur Wise 1 Paradise Cemetery Paradise Wise 1 Sand Hill Cemetery Sand Hill Wise 1 Willow Point Cemetery Willow Point Wise 1 Location FM 1790 Fm 3221 CR 3160 FM 3077 400 E. McDermott FM 2478 (Custer Rd.) CR 814 Briargrove Ln. CR 912 300 Wilson Creek Pkwy. 1660 S. McDonald St. Fannin Rd. Ridgeview Golf Course. 2701 Ridgeview Dr. Cooke Co. 710 Fair Ave. 601 Christi Lane 4000 Dalgree Kiest Blvd Lemmon Ave. at Central 3800 West N.W. Hwy. 2030 Oak Grove 4000 Merrell Rd. Marilla and Young Rylie between Tufts and Mulberry 1600 Ft. Worth Ave. 2600 Valley View SH 78 Shady Grove Rd. and Hardrock Rd. New Dawdy Ferry Rd. 1525 Hard Rock 5841 Lumley Rd. 3737 Motley Dr. US 175 and Seagoville Rd. Chinn Chapel Rd. Carrol Blvd and Eagle Dr. E. Prairie and E. Sycamore Streets 603 N. Shady Shores Rd. 328 Smith Rd. FM 455 S. Colony Blvd. W. Ennis Ave. US 77 1403 Red Oak Creek DR. US 287 SH 342 Bell's Chapel Rd. off FM 813 SH 78 FM 271 SH 34 FM 100 N. Church St. FM 1553 Hunt St. SH 121 SH 121 Grayson County 1000 N. Layne Dr. 3 miles west of Howe Northwest of Pottsboro SH 91 on Hilltop Dr. 900 W. Lamar Campground Rd. 1304 W, Lamar Andy Thomas Rd. 400 S. Prairieville CR 3901 FM 1616 FM 3204 CR 3621 Eustace City 910 S. Rusk CR 2436 Lake Whitney Dam Moore St. and Hwy 51 North Moore St. and Hwy. 51 205 S. Parkway Water St. and S. Kouns St. FM 4 FM 917 East FM 688 CR 110 CR 4042 1001 W. Moore Ave. 5th and 6th St. SH 137 CR 26300 FM 3043 FM 455 East of SH 175 Molsbee Chapel Rd. US 82 FM 1290 FM 744 CR NE 0170 (private property) N 22nd and Hackberry North 19th St. CR SE 3110 SH 309 and CR 3230 Rice, TX SH 14 and Memorial Dr. SW 3140 1283 O'Neal Ave. North Azle US 377 FM 920 Hiner Rd. Front St. FM 51 FM 2421 N. Alexander St. FM 552 SH 67 801 Mary St. 1100 W. Mayfield Bedford Rd. and Central Dr. 1812 Mercedes Morris-Dido-Network Rd. Oakwood cemetery at 700 Grand Ave. 600 Samuels Ave. 602 Fountain Parkway 1300 Cardinal Dr. 4001 NE 28th St. Bourland Rd. Shady Oak Dr. and Little School Rd. Burl Rd. Smithfield Rd and Main St. Coventry Ln. at King's Court FM 1709 at Pleasant Run-White's Chapel Rd. FM 1863 CR 2520 and CR 2501 SH 19 FM 1256, Morris Cemetery Rd. FM 1215 CR 2520 CR 4913 FM 279 FM 1255 CR 1818 CR 4403 FM 2339 Off FM 1395 CR 3415 US 80 and Post Oak Rd. Seymour Rd. Southwest Pkwy. Cemetery Rd. off FM 114 CR 4227 FM 51, Preskitt Rd. CR 2750 CR 3352 CR 4226 FM 220 Description Several Civil War veterans are buried here, including Sgt. Thomas Fortenberry of the 21st Arkansas Infantry Regiment. The Clifton Family deeded the land over in 1877 for a public Cemetery. The final resting place for settlers and Civil War veterans. Established by John Olde Family at the death of John Olde's sister. Civil War veterans are buried there. The community of Pleasant Valley was started after the Civil War. Number of Civil War veterans are buried here. Established in 1884 by the International Order of the Odd Fellows. The southeast corner is a slave burial ground. Civil War veterans are also interred here. Inluded in 1836 land grant to Dr. Daniel Rowlett who came to Texas from Kentucky with his wife and 6 children. Baptist Church was established on Rowlett Creek which included the cemetary. Civil War veterans are buried here. Family cemetary of Allen Daniel who came to Texas from Tennessee in 1847. His daughter, Tennessee P. Daniel Huson, gave the land to the community for a community cemetary. Slaves, former slaves, and pioneer families are buried here. Contains grave of John T. Coit (1829-1872) who was a lawyer from South Carolina that raised a regiment in the Dallas area. He served as colonel of the regiment. Served the area since 1881. Confederate and Union veterans are buried here. Part of the Ed Ward and Nancy Bradley homestead who came to Texas in the 1840's from Kentucky. Members of the Peters Colony. The south section includes a slave graveyard. The park is on land granted to Samuel McFarland by the Republic of Texas. Known for its grove of Pecan Trees. Commemorates the pioneers of the area. Dr. James Webb Throckmorton (1825-1894) is one of the pioneers. He served as a Confederate Brigadier General during the Civil War. He was later Governor of Texas (1866 -1867) and a U.S. Congressman (1875-1888). Confederate Captain Thomas M. Scott is buried here as well as other Civil War veterans. Sam and Patience Young came to Collin Co. from Illinois in 1842. The cemetery was established in 1847 after Patience died. Includes the graves of Civil War veterans. Burial spot of Col. James Bourland who commanded the Border Regiment during the Civil War and was Provost Marshall of Gainesville at the time of the October, 1862 hangings. Former mayor William O. Davis is buried here. A Georgia native, he came to Texas in 1870 and served in the Confederate Army. The cemetery began in 1854 when a tornado struck the Howe Family cabin near Gainesville. Numerous Civil War veterans are buried here. Confederate Sgt W.H.H. Addington (1840-1862) is only Civil War casualty buried here. He died from a wound suffered at the Battle of Chustenahlah in the Indian Territory. Burial spot of Ohio native James Parrish who settled here in 1844 as part of the Peters Colony. He established a home on the Elm Fork of the Trinity River which became known as the Parrish Neighborhood. The land was set aside by Absalom Humbard (1835-1909)and his wife Mary. Humbard was wounded and imprisoned during the Civil War. Several Civil War veterans and Dallas County pioneers are buried here. Established in 1859 on land given by a Baptist Church (later known as 5 Mile Church). Several Confederate veterans are buried here. A memorial to a cemetery where former slaves were buried. Highway expansion forced the removal of the original cemetery. Donated by James G. Garvin (1830-1897), his wife Eliza, Colonel William L. Crawford (1841-1910), and Judge M.L. Crawford (1839-1920). Several Civil War veterans are buried here including Colonel G. Swor (1834-1878) that led an assault against Union forces at the Battle of Corinth. Part of a Republic of Texas grant called the John Grigsby League given for service at the Battle of San Jacinto. Dallas banker W.H. Gaston acquired the land in 1874 through a legal battle and founded Trinity Cemetery. Greenwood Cemetery Association assumed operation in 1896. Many prominent Dallas citizens and Civil War veterans are buried here. Among the veterans buried here are Major John H. Brown who commanded the 3rd Texas Frontier District during the Civil War. He was a prominent secessionist that served in the legislature 1855 - 1857. after the War he participated in the Texas Constitutional Convention. This cemetery was established on the 640 acres of Elder Eli Merrell (1787-1849) who was minister of a Disciples of Christ church. Merrell's sons George and John served with the Confederate 19th Cavalry. They and other veterans are buried here. Burial spot of: 1) Nicholas Henry Darnell (1807-1885) who commanded the 18th Texas Cavalry. He served in the Republic of Texas Congress,the 1845 Statehood Convention, and the 1875 Constitutional Convention. 2) Former Dallas Mayor John McClannahan Crockett is buried here also. He opened one of the first law offices in Dallas. He also served as a Lt. Governor of Texas for two years during the Civil War. 3) Alexander Harwood (1820-1885) came to Dallas in 1844 from Tennessee. He was county clerk 1850-1880. and served as an assisstant to Confederate Postmaster General John H. Reagan. Harwood represented Dallas County at 1866 State Constitution Convention. 4) Trezevant Calhoun Hawpe (1820-1863) came to Dallas county from Tennessee in 1848. He served as Sheiff, Justice of the Peace, and County Coroner of Dallas County. He was Colonel of the 31st Texas Cavalry in 1862 and was instrumental in the Confederate victory at Newtonia. He was stabbed to death by a friend after a quarrel on the county courthouse steps. 5) Mississippi native John Jay Good (1827-1882) practiced law in Alabama and came here in 1851. He was a Colonel of a Confederate Artillery Regiment and was elected Mayor of dallas in 1880. 6) James K. Polk (1834 - 1872) was a District Attorney for Dallas in 1860. He served in the Confederate Army and was a state senator and state constitutional delegate after the War. 7) Barton Warren Stone (1817-1881) practiced law in Dallas. He came from Tennessee and commanded two Confederate Cavalry regiments. In 1878, John Armstrong Rylie donated land for a school in southeast Dallas County. The site became a cemetery in 1889. Hartwell Bolin Cox and other Civil War veterans are buried here. Part of the 1850's William Coombes survey. Many Dallas County pioneers and Civil War veterans are buried here. Z.E. Coombes and W.R. Fisher set aside the land for the cemetery. Thomas Keenan (1808-1879) came here as part of the Peters Colony in 1842. Keenan's descendents along with several Civil War veterans are buried here. Final resting place of numerous Civil War veterans and pioneers. This cemetery began in the churchyard of Duck Creek Methodist Church which was organized in the 1850's. In 1877, Louis H. Caster (1826-1908) deeded one acre for a community cemetery. Several Civil War veterans are buried here. Illinois native Alanson Dawdy (1826-1901) operated a ferry for crossing the Trinity River. It operated during the War while Dawdy served in the Confederate Army. The prices were one dollar for a wagon with four animals, ten cents for a man and horse, and five cents for one man on foot. The land was deeded to Chilton Smith in 1851. Along with Smith came slaveholders William Haley and William Borah before 1845. After the War, many former slaves stayed in the area. In 1879, Minnie Shelton purchased the site for $130 and donated it for a cemetery. It holds numerous burial sites of slaves and former slaves. John P. Potter was a pioneer of the Republic of Texas and served in the Confederate Army. He had 1,000 acres of land and served as a Justice of the Peace. He and his children are buried here. Zachariah Motley came to Texas in 1856 with his family and slaves. His daughter Penelope Motley McLain, wife of Captain J.B. McLain, is buried there along with family memebers and slaves. In 1870, Mississippi native and Confederate vet James J. Lee (1820-1901) donated land for a cemetery. Several Civil War veterans are buried here as well as members of Lee's family. Donated by Elisha and Mary Stowe Chinn in 1853. Features graves outlined with shells. A tradition brought to America by slaves. Cemetery for Lodge 82 of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Denton Merchant James Smoot donated the land a number of Civil War veterans are buried. Confederate Col. Thomas Gynn Cosbey Davis buried here. He was a cousin of President Jefferson Davis Land granted to H.H. Swisher, a veteran of the Texas War for Independence. Contains numerous Civil War veterans. Farmland sold to Masonic Lodge for a community cemetery in 1881. Former slaves of Julius Kane Fox family are buried here in unmarked graves. Civil War veterans as well as influenza victims are buried here. Oldest cemetery in Denton County. Donated by W.A. Bridges family. Civil War veterans are buried here as well as members of the Bridges family. Deeded by W.H. Parsons in 1875. Confederate veterans buried here. Donated by W.R. Hudson and J.M. Higgins in 1853. Civil War veterans buried there. Established by Peters Colony in 1844. Civil War veterans buried there. John I. Richardson of 12th Texas Cavalry buried here. Began as the family burial ground of Abraham Kemble in 1860. Several Civil War veterans are buried there. Named for Confederate veteran Jodie M. Bell who was buried there in 1877. Alabama natives Joseph and William Arledge settled here in the 1850's. Used by the Arledge family and has numerous Civil War veterans buried here. Missouri native Alexander Moore moved to Texas with his wife Mary Jane Jones in 1857 . They are both buried here with their descendents. Numerous Civil War veterans are buried here. Tennessee native Ezekiel Phillips Warren oranized a Methodist congregation at his home in 1859. In 1877, Kentucky native and Confederate vet William Bain McCraw donated the land for the church and cemetery. Numerous Civil War veterans are buried here. Established in 1846 and originally known as the Walcott Graveyard. Numerous Civil War veterans are buried here. Members of the Pre Civil War slave community are buried here.Virginia native James Thomas Holt (1841- 1919) served in the Confederate Army and built Honey Grove's first public water system. He owned a store and hotel in Mineral Wells. He invested in the Honey Grove Cotton Oil Mill and Planters National bank. He is buried here. Community cemetery for the Odd Fellows Fraternity and Presbyterians. Civil War vet William Lovelace Foster (1830-1869) was pastor of the 1st Baptist Church. He is buried here along with other Civil War veterans. Burial spot for members of Oak Hill Home Guard; a Confederate militia unit that patrolled for Indians, outlaws, and Union troops. Burial spot of John Cadwallader Neale who came here from Tennessee. He served with the 9th Tennessee Cavalry before he purchased a farm in Fannin county. He was a leading businessman in the Leonard community. Tennessee native Thomas Lindsey brought his family here in 1837. Linsey donated the land for a school and cemetery in the 1840's. One of Lindsey's slaves was the first buried here. Several slaves and Civil War veterans are buried here. Tennessee native William Boyd Burns (1821-1907) built a log cabin at this site. Among Civil War veterans that are buried here are Dr. W.C. Holmes who fought at Shiloh and John W. Connelly a former teacher in the Indian Territory. Named after John Barron who came from Virginia in 1870. Barron and fellow Civil War vet William Jenkins are buried here. Barron gave land for a church-school building and community cemetery. David Harman Coffman of Poindexter's Missouri Cavalry Regiment came here after War and donated land for community cemetery. Adjoining land used for the Mt. Pleasant Baptist Church. Burial spot of William Whitley Wheat and his wife Cynthia who moved to Texas from Alabama in 1842. Settled in Petters Colony. Wheat served as a county commissioner and was the first president of the Old Settlers Association of North Texas that worked to ease tensions after the Civil War. Anderson White deeded 2 acres in 1859 for the public cemetery. Number of Civil War veterans are buried here. Confederate Colonel George R. Reeves of 11th Texas cavalry is buried here. The Tennessee native was a county tax collector, sheriff, and state representative before the War. He participated at Chickamauga and the Atlanta Campaign. He served as Speaker of the House after the War. Burial and first camp of John and Ruth Hendrix who came to Texas in 1846 from North Carolina. Numerous slave burial sites are located here. Burial spot of Confederate Captain John Henry Le Tellier of the 24th Virginia Infantry, Army of Northern Virginia. Beloved teacher of Sherman Private School. Harsh pioneer life led to the establishment of this cemetery in 1848 for Grayson Co. pioneers. Plots were free. One Union and 18 Confederate veterans are buried here. Burial spot of Jesse P. Loving (1836-1919) who served with the 34th Texas Cavalry. He was County Treasurer and State Representative from Grayson County. Helped establish the Old Settlers Association of Grayson County. Rev. John Sillman Moore is buried here. Wounded three times during his service with the Confederacy. Pastored Presbyterian Churches in Tyler, McKinney and Sherman. He died in1903. Began as a family cemetery for Samuel and Ellen Vittitoe who settled here in 1852. Numerous Civil War veterans buried here in 700 grave cemetrey. In service since 1857. Numerous Civil War veterans and pioneers are buried here. An open-air tabernacle for 2,000 people. Eventually became a cemetery for Civil War veterans. North Carolina native James Madison Shelby (1814-1989) established the Presbyterian Church and cemetery. A number of Confederate soldiers are buried here. Consists of one acre of land. Number of Confederate Texas troopers and early settlers are buried here. Originally a camp meeting site for the Red Hill Methodist Church. Numerous Civil War veterans buried here. Numerous Civil War veterans buried here. Donated by William Hugh Graham who had his family cemetery here. Grave of "Great Hanging" victim located here. Call ahead to visit grave. Contains graves of father and son Texas Rangers. Durham Avant served in the 15th Texas Cavalry. His son William served in the 46th Alabama Infantry Regiment. Consolidation of 6 Cemeteries because of 1950 construction of Lake Whitney Dam. Resting place of Brigadier General Hiram Granbury and family. General Granbury and his family are buried here along with numerous Confederate and Union veterans. Est in 1856 for African American slaves. Also called Alvarado "Colored Cemetery." Union and Confederate veterans buried here. In 1894, C.Y and Ann Kouns donated land for a Confederate Park. The intent was to have the roads cut through the park and shape it into the confederate flag. Civil War veterans buried there. Part of 1,400 acres purchased by James F. Scurlock then sold to Town of Grandview. Established in 1850 for cotton farming community. Civil War veterans buried there. Fourney was originally a railroad town and the cemetery was set aside for the entire community. $^ Civil War veterans are buried here. Burial spot of Captain Israel Baker that helped write Texas Constitution. Served with the Texas 3rs Cavalry, Co. G. during the War. Family cemetery of John and Eliza Baker. Several Civil War veterans are buried here. Tennessee native and surveyor Robert Terrell is buried here. He served with the 33rd Texas Cavalry Co. K. The City of Terrell was plotted on the land he surveyed. General John Summerfield Griffith (1829 - 1901) is buried here also. He commanded the 6th Texas Cavalry and saw action at Chustenahalah, Indian Territory, Pea Ridge and Holly Springs. Came to Texas in 1839 and was a rancher, cotton farmer and businessman. Located on land owned by George Washington Wright (1809-1877) who founded Paris. Honors members of the 9th Texas that died in a measles epidemic. Hickory Grove Methodist Episcopal Church was established here in 1852. Includes 1,000 graves. Numerous Civil War veterans are buried here. Family cemetery of Lee J. Lee Family that was from Virginia. Numerous Civil War veterans are buried here. Settlement of area started after Civil War. Numerous Civil War veterans buried here. In 1883, Levi Perryman purchased the cemetery land for Montague County. He was a sheriff of Forestburg and served with the 31st Texas Cavalry. Dory Booher and Benjamin Stead of the 14th Texas Cavalry are buried there. Used during the Civil War. Texas Rangers and Civil War veterans are buried here. Started by Rev. Abraham Molsbee ans his wife Susan who came to Texas from Tennessee. John P. Watson of 43rd Georgia and Fulton Loe Jr. of 28th Louisiana are buried here. Both were civic leaders of Nocona. Site of Baptist Church built there in the late 1800's. Several Civil War veterans buried here. Used by pioneers from Meridian, MS that settled nearby in 1870. Numerous Civil War veterans buried here. Located near Indian Trading Post. Named after Dr. W.S Robinson, the town's first doctor, and Jacob hartzell, the owner of the trading post. Established in 1841. Named after Thomas Conner who settled here in 1856 from Illinois. Deeded on April 12, 1865 by Col. Roger Q. Mills C.S.A. Several Civil War veterans buried there. Oldest cemetery in Navarro County and resting place of numerous prominent Civil War veterans and pioneers. Began in 1840. Numerous Civil War veterans buried there. Civil War veterans buried there. Site incudes Long Prairie School and Long Prairie Methodist Church. Named after William M. Rice, the founder of Rice University. He donated 5,000 acres for the town. Numerous Civil War veterans are buried here. Provided by the estate of William Marsh Rice. Civil War veterans buried there. Originally a family cemetery of Jane and Alexander Younger. Numerous Civil War veterans are buried there. Burial spot of A.B. Fraser, a Confederate soldier who went into exile in the Honduras after the War for 5 to 6 years. Confederate widow Sarah Hoggard gave a plot from her family site to bury the child of former slaves. John Goforth of 15th Texas Cavalry is buried here. Used by members of the pioneer Lemley Family since the mid 1850's. Five Civil War veterans and early pioneers are buried here. Established in 1872. Seven Civil War veterans are buried here. Boze Ikard, a former slave from Mississippi, was killed by Indians on Charles Goodnight's cattle drive to Colorado. Goodnight and his son brought his body back over 600 miles to be buried here. S.W.T. Lanham, the last Confederate veteran Texas Governor is buried here. The largest number of Civil War soldiers in Parker County are buried here also. Burial site of many Confederate veterans from S. Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, and Texas units. Eight Civil War veterans buried here. Ambrose Fitzgerald served the Confederacy and settled here in 1846. Served as district clerk, county clerk and Baptist Preacher in Rains County. Baptized James Hogg who later became a noted governor. Established on property of John and Martha Dewees who migrated here from Indiana in 1856. Cemetery included a log schoolhouse and church. Numerous Civil War veterans buried here. Deeded over to county by Confederate veteran Hiram B. Rodgers. Civil War vetetrans buried there. Encompasses more than 10 acres of land. Includes the Old Arlington Cemetery, W.W.McNatt Cemetery, Masonic Cemetery, and Old City Cemetery. Established in 1840 as a ranger station and trading post. Numerous Civil War veterans and Tarrant co. pioneers are buried here. Burial site of 19 Civil War veterans and pioneers of Tarrant Co. Burial spot of James M. Benbrook who settled here in 1876 after the War. The town was then called Merecedes. He served with the 40th Illinois Infantry that was assigned to the Union Army of the Tennessee. He was wounded in the hip and spent six years on crutches. He baecame a prominent landowner and helped bring the Texas and Pacific Railway line through Merecedes. The town was renamed Benbrook in his honor. Dempsey S. Holt donated 30 acres for this cemetery in 1887. Dr Isaac L. Van Zandt, a Confederate vet, donated additional land. Several Civil War veterans are buried here. Burial spot of General Thomas Waul and John Peter Smith. Dr. Adolphus Gouhenant set aside a 3 acre burial site when his friend Major Ripley A. Arnold lost two children in 1850. Many pioneers are buried here along with 75 Civil War veterans. Kentucky native Pinkney Harold Ford (1831-1901) came to Texas in 1855 and seved with a Texas Confederate Cavalry unit. He purchased the property in 1879 for use as a community cemetery. During the Civil War, Isaac Duke Parker (1821-1902) served as a Tarrant County Commissioner before enlisting in the Confederate Army. He assumed ownership of this cemetery and donated the eastern half as a public cemetery. He settled near this site in 1853. After Reverand Greene Fretwell, a former slave, died in 1886. His widow Frances purchased 2 acres for a church and cemetery for African Americans in Haltom City. North Carolina, Civil War vet, and Primitive Baptist Preacher Aurelius Delphus Bourland settled here in 1873. He used this site as a family cemetery until 1899 when he donated 2.5 acres for a public burial ground. Georgia native Thomas F. Rodgers (1835-1906) came to Texas from Kansas in the late 1850's. He served in the Confederate Army and became one of Kennedale's leading landowners. Part of his land was set aside for this cemetery. He was a successful farmer and stock raiser. First used after the Civil War and includes Civil War veterans. Victims of the 1918 influenza epidemic are buried here also. Missouri native Eli Smith (1848-1879) came to Texas in 1859. He donated part of his farm for the cemetery in 1870. Confederate and Union veterans are both buried here. Established on the farm of Peter's Colonist and Missouri native Thomas M. Hood (1823-1859). Several Civil War veterans are buried here. This cemetery began in 1851 with the burial of a child from a wagon train. Numerous early pioneers and Civil War veterans are buried here. Rober K. Gibbs settled in area in 1850's. The buried their infant daughter at the cemetery. Includes numerous slave burial sites. Samuel A. High (1809-1894) was the 1st landowner in area and donated the land for the cemetery. Numerous Civil War are buried here. Van Zandt County pioneers and Civil War veterans are buried here. Burial sites of pioneers that died during epidemics and Civil War veterans. James F. Starr donated land for a schoolhouse here in 1886. Confederate vet Joseph Staley and othe Civil War veterans are buried here. Watkins community settled in the mid-1800's. The graveyard contains Civil War veterans among 400 graves. Among 188 grave, 6 Civil War veterans are buried here. Included are Samuel Murphy, David Tumlinson, Robert Boykin,Thomas Piles, F.M. Shirley and Robert Beam. Stephen Ingram moved to Van Zandt County in 1850. He was buried first at this site along with his 2 sons who were Civil War veterans. Deeded in 1886 by James Richardson whose land grant the town was developed on. Renowned pilot Wiley Post is buried here along with 6 Civil War veterans. Creagleville was settled in the 1840's. 50 Civil War veterans are buried here along with early pioneers. Donated in 1860 by Robert K. Gibbs for the Holly Springs Methodist Episcopal Church South. Original pioneers of Martin's Mill and Civil War veterans are buried here. Levi collins purchased the land from pioneer L.H. Hobbs who settled here in 1850. Collins buried his son in law John Tidmore who died of disease during the War. His wife Marta Elizabeth is buried next to him alon with 12 Civil War veterans. Started in 1870's for Van Zandt County pioneers. Sgt M.M. (Mike) Robinett (1842-1900)of 10th Texas Cavalry Co. H is buried here. Set aside by William James (1804-1875). Four Confederate veterans that were at Appamatox are buried here. They include D.G. Baker, W.N. Canant, J.T. Ellis, and A.M. Fears. Established in 1870. Number of Civil War veterans are buried here. 87 Confederate veterans buried here including the sister of Jesse James, Susan Parmer. 7 Confederate veterans are buried here. Confederate vet, Finis Dudley Beauchamp, from Mississippi donated the 3 acre site. Beauchamp and other Civil War veterans are buried here. Along with early frontier settlers of Wise County, several Civil War veterans are buried here. Randolph "Uncle Ram" Vesey, popular fiddler and aide to Confederate General William Lewis Cabel is buried here. Born a slave near Savannah, GA. Union Army vet and school trustee James W. Haynes is buried here along with other Civil War veterans. 110 graves in which half belong to people under the age of 20. Victims of disease. Numerous Civil War veterans buried there also. Includes grave of Dr. M.W. Matthews who was born in Kentucky and was an army surgeon during the Texas Revolution. He treated Sam Houston's wound at the Battle of San Jacinto. A firm Unionist during the Civil War, he escaped being hanged by Confederate vigilantes. Meeting spot for pioneers because of the spring. Numerous gravesites of pioneers and Civil War veterans. Cemetery was founded when Samuel G. Evitts allowed Anna M. English to be buried on land he owned in 1882. The cemetery became a free cost community cemetery where pioneers and Civil War veterans are buried.
Pages to are hidden for
"North Texas Lakes Trail Region Civil War Related Sites Eastern Counties Civil War Site City County Zone Confederate Monument Farmersville"Please download to view full document