TROUBLESHOOTING TIPS FOR LINCC DATABASES
Q. After I have logged in, selected a database, and selected the “Connect to Database” button, I get another page
with the database’s logo asking for another username and password. How do I connect to the database?
A. This may be caused by a number of factors: your browser or browser settings may be incompatible with the
database, your cookies may not be set to allow the database page to know that you have already logged in, or
something may be blocking the “referring URL” that lets the database page know that you are accessing it from
Here are some things to try to correct these problems:
1. Do NOT access the databases from within MyPHCC (Angel). You will be able to log on but when you try to
access the databases it will take you back to the Log In screen. Open up a separate browser window and go to
http://www.phcc.edu/library/. Click on Electronic resources.
2. Use Internet Explorer, version 6 or higher, or the most recent version of Firefox. Some databases may work
with the most recent versions of other browsers, but others, such as those provided by Wilson, recommend
Internet Explorer specifically. LINCC
database connections are not compatible with AOL or WebTV browsers.
4. Enable cookies.
5. Disable any pop-up blocking software.
In Windows XP: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/web/sp2_popupblocker.mspx or, select Help and
Support” in your start menu, and search for “pop-up blocker”.
In Google toolbar: http://www.google.com/support/toolbar/?quick=popupblocker
If you are using other pop-up blocking software, please consult your documentation.
6. Temporarily set security and privacy settings in the browser to the medium levels or lower. Information on
security settings: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/using/howto/security/settings.mspx
7. Temporarily lower settings or disable any personal firewall or security software while using the database.
Windows XP: Select “Help and Support” in your start menu, and search for “firewall”.
Zone Alarm: http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/support/zass/zassMain.jsp?lid=ps_zass
Norton Internet Security: http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/nis/
8. Ebsco databases, such as Academic Search Complete, are especially sensitive to security software that may
obscure referring URLs. If you can access other databases, but not an Ebsco database, please refer to Ebsco’s
connection FAQ: http://support.epnet.com/CustSupport/Customer/Details.aspx?faq=1535
9. After any of the above steps, clear your cache and cookies and close your browser window before trying
Instructions for clearing your cache and cookies:
10. If none of these steps correct the problem, please contact your library staff.