Your Federal Quarterly Tax Payments are due April 15th Get Help Now >>

Date February 18_ 2005 by zhangyun

VIEWS: 4 PAGES: 35

									                 2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                  General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                              December 2, 2005
                              FINAL REPORT

1.   ACCOMMODATIONS/ACCESSIBILITY - LARRY SMOLIK
     The Accommodations/Accessibility (Assistive Listening Devices) Committee
     Larry.Smolik@ncmail.net

2.   NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE:
     Two committee members

3.   DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE:
     Develop a list of assistive listening devices that can be borrowed from other
     agencies.
     Contact these agencies to arrange the delivery of equipment to the conference.
     Make sure equipment is compatible with hotel system.
     Give ALDs to participants with hearing loss attending the conference.
     Be available throughout the conference for questions.
     Return any borrowed equipment.
     Send letters of thanks to all involved.

4.   BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED:
     Our ALD system was unable to connect to hotel’s PA instead we used two
     microphones.

5.   WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE?
     None, borrowed ALDs from the Division of Services for the Deaf and Hard of
     Hearing.

6.   WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
     COMMITTEE GIVES FOR NEXT YEAR?
     Post a sign to let people know that they can borrow the ALDs for each
     session. Need to announce during the opening ceremony about the availability of
     ALDs.




                                                                                       1
                 2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                  General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                              December 2, 2005
                              FINAL REPORT


1.   ADVERTISEMENTS - BILL CREWS
     Bill.Crews@ncmail.net

2.   NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE: 7 members
     Advertisement Chair served on the finance committee.

3.   DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE:
       a) Contact vendors and businesses for the conference program booklet ads.
          (communicate with each other for the supports and tracking with other
          committees, Sponsors, & Vendor Booths)
       b) Keep documentation of all contacts and calls.
       c) Keep documentation of each committed purchase ad and interested parties
          in purchasing an ad.
       d) Send letters of thanks to all involved.

4.   BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED:
       a) Prepare for last minute submitting of ads. For program book
       b) Prepare for last minute responses to requests.
       c) Handle the electronic paging format of all ads. & unexpected last minute
          changes

5.   WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE?
      a) Supplies, stamps/envelopes, and any long distance phone calls.

6.   WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
     COMMITTEE GIVES FOR NEXT YEAR?
      a) Due to the unforeseen duplicative contacts and correspondence of all the
         different marketing constituents and partners within rehabilitation.




                                                                                     2
                 2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                  General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                              December 2, 2005
                              FINAL REPORT


1.   AUDIOVISUAL EQUIPMENT/CYBER CAFÉ - MIKE LUPO
     Michael.Lupo@ncmail.net

2.   NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE: 3 Members

3.   DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE
     Develop a list of audiovisual equipment that can be borrowed from other
     agencies. Collect data on presenters and conference attendee’s audio/visual
     needs. Analyze conference center for other audio/visual needs. Develop a
     financial plan to pay for equipment. Locate audio/visual equipment for presenters
     and conference attendees. Arrange to collect all equipment and transport to the
     hotel. Contact local audio/visual specialist for audio/visual equipment at the
     hotel. Setup and test all equipment at hotel. Find a storage room with a lock for
     AV equipment. The AV chair should have a key. Monitor and troubleshoot
     equipment during workshop sessions. Return any borrowed equipment.
     Send letters of thanks to all involved.

4.   BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED
     There were compatibility issues with various versions of windows, computer
     video card software, and LCD projectors. All would work, but some required
     more time to setup and configure.

5.   WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE?
     Internet access and renting A/V equipment from the hotel.

6.   WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
     COMMITTEE GIVE FOR NEXT YEAR?
     Coordinate A/V equipment with each committee chair to see what they need to be
     sure that what you are planning fits in with what each committee chair is
     planning. Bring extra cables for all types of equipment. Bring backup equipment
     if other equipment fails. Ask presenters if they are willing to bring their own
     laptop/equipment. Have presenters have extra copies of their PowerPoint
     presentations on CD’s and floppy disks. Ask presenters if they need assistance
     with setting up their PowerPoint presentation.




                                                                                     3
                 2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                  General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                              December 2, 2005
                              FINAL REPORT

1.   AWARDS - JOHN WILLIAMSON - JACKIE WOOLARD
     John.Williamson@ncmail.net
     Jackie.Woolard@ncmail.net

2.   NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE: 2 members

3.   DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE
       a) Develop nomination form and packet for the web page for award
          nominations.
       b) Take nominations and select winners.
       c) Chose and order awards.
       d) Awards committee to coordinate awards with the program committee’s
          responsibility with the awards presentations.
       e) Serve as Master of Ceremonies at awards banquet to present awards.
       f) Send letters of thanks to all involved.

4.   BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED:
     Not as many nominations submitted as we would have liked. Only 3 states sent
     nominees. What to do about figuring out who will submit awards and how to go
     about paying for accommodations for award winners.

5.   WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE?
     The awards.

6.   WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
     COMMITTEE GIVES FOR NEXT YEAR?
     If the awards committee could be given a list for MAILING information packets
     to people that might be helpful for getting more nominations. Also, we learned
     the “hard way” about needing to provide mileage, hotel accommodations and
     meals for the nominees so this should be addressed early in the process.




                                                                                      4
                      2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                       General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                                   December 2, 2005
                                   FINAL REPORT


1.       CAPTIONING SERVICES - KELLE OWENS

2.       NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE: The CART committee
         consisted of 3 people, including the Chairperson.

        For the 2005 conference we used a combination of CART, CAN and C-Print
         providers. For simplicity we will refer to all services as CART in this document.
        I am happy to help with any feedback and preparation for the 2006 conference. I
         can be reached by email at kelle@csdhh.org or by phone at 336-275-8878.
        Several of our CART providers from 2005 are interested in working in Florida for
         2006 if you need them. Please let me know and I can forward their contact
         information.
        Our agency has provided CART services for many years. For the conference, we
         did not charge a coordination fee to SERID. We simply charged the standard pay
         for the CART providers, earning no profit from the event.
        CART providers were paid an hourly fee for their services. Since the majority of
         the providers already worked for our agency as contractors, we paid them the
         same rate. We did not determine a new rate for the conference.

3.       DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE:
         BUDGET
          Work with SERID Chairperson to develop budget for CART Services
          Work with SERID Chairperson to determine which events would have CART.
           This included pre and post conference workshops.
          Submit tentative budget to SERID Chairperson including travel and hotel for
           each CART provider.
          Provide CART services throughout the conference.
          Return any borrowed equipment.
          Send letters of thanks to all involved.

         SCHEDULING
          Schedule CART service providers for each event. Providers were confirmed 6
           months in advance of the conference.
          Submit registration forms to Registration committee for each CART provider.
           Done 3 months in advance of conference. Allowed for CART providers to be
           included in head count for meals and also for name tags, etc.
          Reserve rooms for CART provide at hotel. Done prior to early bird deadline to
           save money for committee. Required CART providers to share a room.
           Anyone wanting a private room was required to pay for half of the room cost
           themselves.
          Schedule CART providers to remain in one room all day for concurrent
           sessions, to cut down on moving equipment. If required, only change rooms


                                                                                         5
              2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                             December 2, 2005
                             FINAL REPORT
    during lunch break.
   For keynote gatherings where the room will be broken down quickly for
    follow-up concurrent sessions…..we set up CART equipment in advance of the
    keynote in each section of the room. This allowed for minimal stress once the
    room was divided.
   CART committee members and chairperson should plan NOT to attend any
    workshops. They will be busy setting up equipment and helping solve
    problems.
   Send CART schedule to each CART provider at least one month in advance.
    This will give them time to do any background reading on the presentations
    where they will be providing service.
   Have a copy of the CART schedule with you at all times. Also be sure that
    committee members have the schedule with them at all times.
   Post a copy of the CART schedule in the CART hospitality suite.

ONSITE VISITS
 Visit hotel and work with SERID local arrangement chair to determine
   placement for tables and chairs for CART providers. Also determine size of
   tables needed.
   This task was accomplished 2 months before the event.
 Another walk through of each room was completed on Sunday, before the
  conference began on Monday.

AV EQUIPMENT
 KNOW the AV Committee. They are your closest friend during the
  conference.
 Work with SERID AV person to determine which equipment would be needed
  by CART providers, at what times and in what rooms. Work with AV person
  to determine storage of AV equipment for overnight.
 Submit specific list to AV person for equipment needed at least 3 months in
   advance of conference.
 Follow-up with AV committee to be sure they have secured all equipment for
  projection including screens for each room.
 Determine with AV committee how many screens will be used for full
  banquet, keynote, etc.
 Determine how many connection cords are necessary in advance for large
  keynote type events.
 Label all cords in advance of conference with owner’s name.
 Test compatibility of borrowed projectors with CART provider’s equipment
  one day prior to conference. Some projectors and some laptops may require
  “new hardware to be installed” function to be run before projector can be used.
  This is best to do one day before the conference starts.

   Find out from AV committee what kind of adapters need to be available if a


                                                                                 6
            2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
              General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                           December 2, 2005
                            FINAL REPORT
   If CART provider uses an Apple laptop, special adapters are required.

ALD’s
 Work with ALD committee during conference to be sure that ALD’s are
  provided for each CART provider so they can hear the speakers over any noise.
  They may not have all been used, but they were available for each CART
  provider during each session. This was especially important during the large
  keynote sessions.

TOOLS FOR CONFERENCE
 Develop “holding screen” for providers. This was a one page document in MS
  Word that displayed the SERID logo, and CART Services. Also displayed the
  name of the CART provider. Providers were required to have this displayed at
  least 15 minutes before each event. This let audience members know which
  screen would be used for CART services. This was sent by email to CART
  providers one month before the conference. Also, our committee brought to
  conference a copy on CD in case file corruption happened.
 Develop one page preprinted “Reserved for CART Services” sign and
  distribute to each CART provider prior to the conference. These were to be
  used for setting up equipment and chairs, as needed.
 Determine standard font size and color and background screen color to be used
  by ALL CART providers during the conference. Inform them of this in writing
  prior to the conference.

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
 Work with Program Committee to receive handouts from speakers in advance
  of conference.
 Work with program committee to ensure speakers that transcripts of
  workshops would NOT be provided to audience members without their
  permission.
 Give list of conference committee members to all CART providers. Names of
  committee members were mentioned throughout conference and this helped
  all CART providers to be prepared.

INTERPRETING COMMITTEE
 Work with the interpreting committee chairperson to coordinate services. If
   they are receiving handouts in advance, then you should receive the same
   handouts.

SSP COMMITTEE
 Once you arrive at the conference, do a walk through of all rooms with the SSP
   chairperson. Make sure that you are both clear on where the focal point will be
    for the DeafBlind participants. You will need to be sure to coordinate the
   CART placement with the SSP Chairperson.



                                                                                7
             2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
              General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                          December 2, 2005
                          FINAL REPORT

HOSPITALITY
 Work with hospitality committee to set up hospitality suite for
  captioners/notetakers.
 Provided additional candy and goodies for the suite.
 Provided goody bags to all CART providers when they checked in. Included
  candy, chap stick, lotion, snacks, etc.

 CART PROVIDER RESPONSIBILITIES
 Equipment-each CART provider is required to provide the following things
 for the conference. They should bring them in a suitcase that is easy to move
 from room to room. Suitcases and all equipment should be labeled with their
 name.
 Provide list to CART committee of make and model of laptop, steno
    equipment and LCD. Also include types of media storage available (CD,
    Floppy, Memory Drive, etc.). Must be done 2 months in advance of
    conference.
 Provide own laptop and cords necessary to connect to LCD projector.
 If possible, provide own LCD projector. (Half of our providers own their own
    projectors, which made things easier for the AV Committee)
 If possible, provide own screen (half of our providers own theirs)
 Provide additional 6-10 foot monitor extension cord for use with projector.
 Provide at least one power strip
 Provide at least one additional grounded extension cord, prefer 50-100 feet.
 Provide duct tape, painters tape or gaffers tape to tape all cords to the floor in
    each conference room
 Provide own disc or CD on which to save all conference notes, to be delivered
    to CART Chairperson before leaving conference.
 If preferred, provide own chair cushions, wrist cushions, additional tables,
    carts, etc. for personal comfort.
 Provide at least 2 books to be used for “propping” the LCD projector. Keep
    books with them each day, as equipment changed and some needed to be
    “propped.”

TIMELINESS
 Arrive in each room at least 30 minutes prior to each event. This was not
  billable time.
 Work with room monitors and AV staff for setting up equipment.
 Be in each conference room with equipment working and holding screen
  displayed at least 15 minutes prior to each event.
 Ask presenters for handouts and correct spelling of names at least 25 minutes
   in advance of workshop. You may have info in advance, but chances are that
   information has been added so always a good idea to ask just prior to the start
   of the workshop.


                                                                                     8
                  2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                   General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                               December 2, 2005
                               FINAL REPORT

     RESPONSIBILITIES DURING THE CONFERENCE
      During the 2005 SERID conference, we had 6 CART providers and 3 CART
       committee members.
      Each day of the actual conference the committee members were assigned 2
       CART providers to assist. This involved making sure all AV needs were met,
       assistance was offered to set up equipment and break down equipment. We
       also made sure that water and snacks were available to each provider during
       breaks and that lunches were provided for each CART provider.
      The committee chairperson was available for each event and did not attend any
       concurrent sessions. This was due to being available for committee members
       and CART providers.
      The committee chairperson was always available by phone/page during the
       conference in order to meet the needs of the CART providers.

4.   BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED:
      The most significant barrier encountered by the committee was 2 last minute
       cancellations of CART providers. One was involved in an auto accident on
       the way to the conference and the other had a death in her family 2 days prior
       to the conference. This posed a great challenge for making sure that all events
       had CART services. Luckily we were already using a combination of CART,
       CAN and C-Print for the conference, so we were open to any providers who
       could fill-in with any of these services.

        We were fortunate to find an interpreter onsite who had some CAN
         experience and provided services for one workshop. The CART committee
         chairperson had CAN experience and provided CAN for 2 workshops. We
         also found 2 experienced C-Print providers one day prior to the conference.
         They were attending as part of their job, and offered to help with services.

        We also found a local court reporting student who was willing to come and
         “sit in” for experience. She was a back-up provider and ended up providing
         services on her own for 3 workshops.

5.   WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE?
      Our budget for the conference was $10,000 for all CART services, hotel and
       travel. Happily, we were not over budget. However, we did not provide
       CART for several of the pre-conference events in order to stay within our
       budget. That worked out fine, as no CART services were actually requested
       for pre-conference events.

        CART providers were paid an hourly rate for the time worked. Set-up time
         was not included. Travel time was not included.




                                                                                        9
                  2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                    General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                                  December 2, 2005
                                  FINAL REPORT
        The largest expenses for our committee were hotel and travel. Several of our
         providers had to drive 3-6 hours to the conference, and the mileage for these
         trips was very expensive. All providers were from North Carolina, but the
         conference was in the far western part of the state, where only a few providers
         lived. The cost for travel and hotel equaled the cost of the CART services.

6.   WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
     COMMITTEE GIVE FOR NEXT YEAR?
      Our best advice is to secure court reporting students in advance. They need
       experience, and can “sit in” to try things out. They are typically also willing
       to fill in if you find yourself in an emergency.
      Also, another piece of advice is to know your fellow conference participants.
       If you know someone is attending who has CART, CAN or C-Print
       experience then ask them if they are willing to serve as back-up provider. Ask
       them to bring their equipment to the conference so that they might be able to
       help you in a pinch.
      The CART Committee chairperson should not plan to attend and enjoy any
       workshops. You need to be prepared to solve problems. You need to wear
       good walking shoes and be available by phone the entire time. Plan to start
       setting up and making rounds of rooms each day at least 90 minutes before the
       events begin. Do not wait until the last minute. You don’t want the presenter
       to be waiting for you to begin the workshop. Arrive at the conference as early
       as possible, so that you can be settled in your room. Do not arrive the day the
       events begin.




                                                                                      10
                      2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                       General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                                   December 2, 2005
                                   FINAL REPORT

     1.      CORPORATE SPONSORS/FUNDRAISING - ALEX VELEZ
             Alex.Velez@ncmail.net

             Finance Committee:
             Alex Velez – Corporate Sponsor
             Bill Crews – Advertisement
             Linda Nelson – Exhibitors

2.        NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE: 8 members
          SERID conference chair should serve on this committee.

3.        DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE:
          - Develop a fundraising plan and began fundraising activities.
          - Write; create letters and forms to distribute to corporate sponsors such as
            private companies, profit and non-profit organizations.
          - Need to give corporate sponsors options to choose how they would like to
            participate such as: PARTNERS SPONSOR, GOLD SPONSOR, SILVER
            SPONSOR, PLATINUM SPONSOR and BRONZE SPONSOR.
          - Monthly meetings depending on the circumstances to discuss the progress of
            fundraising activities.
          - Maintain follow up letters, emails, and phone contacts.
          - Find potential corporate sponsors by talking with staff and advocacy groups.
          - Create format for recognition for corporate sponsors in the program book.
            participants.
          - Send letters of thanks to all involved.

4.        BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED:
          The barriers were turnovers due to members relocated to new jobs and
          promotions. Some companies had deadline requirement for submitting requests
          for funding.

5.        WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE?
          1) Gifts basket for corporate sponsors, exhibitors and speakers.
             (approx: $600)
          2) Corporate Sponsors paper printing, mail envelop, and stamps. (approx: $500)

6.        WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
          COMMITTEE GIVES FOR NEXT YEAR?
          Recommended to recruit more members involve due to the turnovers of
          members for various reasons. Need to plan ahead of time because I noticed
          some companies and organizations had specific guidelines and deadlines.




                                                                                        11
              2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
               General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                           December 2, 2005
                           FINAL REPORT

1.   DOOR PRIZES - MARLENE MELVIN
     Marlene.Melvin@ncmail.net


2.   NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE: 8 members

3.   DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE:
     - Send out letters to vendors and companies that work with consumers with
        hearing loss requesting door prize items.
     - Collect Door Prizes and keep records of donations.
     - Inventory of items and gift cards into categories such as large, medium and
        small items.
     - Distribute door prizes to each session and large sessions
     - Send letters of thanks to all involved.

4.   BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED:
     Arrange pick up of all the door prizes from various location across the state
     prior to the conference.

5.   WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE?
     Transportation/gas mileage.

6.   WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
     COMMITTEE GIVES FOR NEXT YEAR?
     It is recommended that you get the local staff to contact restaurant owners for
     gift cards and certificates. Our staff went to meet about thirty businesses in
     downtown Asheville.
     Better to distribute prizes during concurrent sessions and large group sessions
     instead of during the break time.
     Some of the members were not able to attend the conference due to cost.




                                                                                     12
                2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                 General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                             December 2, 2005
                             FINAL REPORT


1. ENTERTAINMENT - PAT STIVLAND
   Pat.Stivland@ncmail.net

2. NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE: 4 MEMBERS

3. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:

GENERAL
  a)  Search, recruit and hire people to Entertain SERID participants
  b)  Search for entertainment sites
  c)  Negotiate payment for Entertainers
  d)  Handle paperwork to secure entertainment sites
  e)  Develop Entertainment Flyer for the Program book and website
  f)  Purchase thank you gifts for entertainers
  g)  Contact entertainment groups many times for confirmation and
      accommodations.
  h)  Coordinate sleeping/eating arrangements for entertainers where needed
  i)  Track budget and stay within budget
  j)  Work with Interpreter Coordinator to secure interpreters for the events if
      needed.
  k)  Return any borrowed equipment.
  l)  Send letters of thanks to all involved.

TOYS & ASHEVILLE CIVIC CENTER
a) Locate entertainment site: Asheville Civic Center
b) Review and sign least agreement for theater
c) Determine number of theater personnel for day of performance – Oct 25
d) Determine ticket cost and project number of tickets needed
e) Secure deposit to reserve the theater
f) Get commercial insurance for the event
g) Negotiate with TOYS a payment plan
h) Review and sign TOYS contract through Xeaxe International
i) Pay 25% nonrefundable deposit to TOYS to reserve the date of assignment
j) Maintain on-going communication with TOYS
k) Refer any theater requests by TOYS to designated person at the Civic Center
l) Obtain posters/flyers to distribute
m) Advertise to the community of TOYS Performance
n) Be at the theater to assist TOYS during, before and after the performance
o) After performance, pay 75% the remaining pay as agreed via contract, plus other
   expenses
p) Go over settlement with Asheville Civic Center




                                                                                 13
                  2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                    General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                                   December 2, 2005
                                   FINAL REPORT
   DJS OF ASHEVILLE
   a) Search sources for DJs, make contacts and compare
   b) Select DJ with best offer
   c) Negotiate payment plan
   d) Secure deposit to reserve the date of assignment
   e) Maintain on-going communication with the DJs
   f) At end of event, pay the DJ’s the amount agreed

   NATIVE DANCER
   a) Search courses for native dancer, make contacts
   b) Negotiate payment plan
   c) Secure date and time for the dance
   d) Arrange music with the Native Dancer
   e) Maintain on-going communication with Native Dancer
   f) At end of event, pay Dancer the amount agreed

   AFTER SERID
   a) Send out thank you cards to people other than the entertainment committee who
      have helped us with the events.
   b) Finalize the budget and report

4. BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED:
   a) Difficulty locating an entertainment site for TOYS
   b) Cost for using Civic Center as opposed to using Hotel room
   c) Difficulty in finding a native dancer
   d) Not always getting a reply in a timely manner from Entertainers
   e) Lack of experience in knowing what to ask or do when dealing with a theater or
      civic center
   f) Getting community to attend TOYS, consumers said “tickets too expensive”.

5. THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE:
   TOYS and the Asheville Civic Center

6. IMPROVEMENTS? If we are going to use a theater facility, it may be best to have
    someone with experience on the committee who would know what to ask or do.
    Consider getting a sponsor for entertainment events with large expenses. Regarding
    ticket purchases, it may be best to have separate rates for children, college/university
    students, or senior citizens. This may draw more people to attend the event. Make
    sure the performance is age appropriate, some of the TOYS segments were
    inappropriate for children.

   EXPENSES FOR EVENTS:
   TOYS - $6,262.50, DJ’s of Asheville - $350.00 plus $50.00 tip (was the deposit),
   Native Dancer – flat fee of $300.00



                                                                                          14
                 2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                  General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                                December 2, 2005
                                FINAL REPORT
OTHER EXPENSES: snacks for TOYS entertainers, thank you gifts, theater staff
personnel, cost for printing TOYS tickets

HOW THE ENTERTAINMENT CHAIR RATES EACH EVENT, FROM 5-
EXCELLENT TO 1-STINKS!:

TOYS – 4, some of segments were inappropriate for children in the audience
DJs of Asheville – 5, excellent DJs, could tell the participants had a great time
Native Dancer – 3, asked for music the day of performance, not what I expected

Makes a total of VERY GOOD to GOOD.




                                                                                    15
                   2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                    General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                                December 2, 2005
                                FINAL REPORT


1. EXHIBITORS - LINDA NELSON
   Linda.Nelson@ncmail.net

2. NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE: 4 members
   Exhibit Chair served on the finance committee.
   SERID conference chair worked closely with exhibit chair.
   Two committee members were sufficient to handle 31 booths.

3. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE:
     a. Set up timeline for Exhibits
     b. Develop, print, and distribute materials to potential exhibitors at conferences
        and workshops PRIOR to SERID conference.
     c. Set up Early Bird booth fees six months prior to SERID conference. It will
        encourage more vendors to go forward and pay early bird fees in order to help
        SERID conference committee have some startup funds.
     d. Arrange a hotel tour with the hotel for room set ups and Internet/phone system
        set ups.
     e. Follow up with potential exhibitors for booths.
     f. Buy thank you gifts for paid exhibitors to distribute at the conference.
     g. Develop and distribute letters explaining details such as schedules for set up
        and tear downs for booths.
     h. Finalize exhibit area set – up with hotel.
     i. Work closely with the chair of corporate sponsors and the chair of
        advertisements to develop a complete letter to encourage potential exhibitors
        to become sponsors for one sponsorship fee including a booth, advertisement
        in the program book, and a wall banner at the conference.
     j. Name tags for paid exhibitors are a MUST. It will help the conference
        participants to recognize their names. The Exhibit committee will be
        responsible for name tags.
     k. Exhibit fees should include a booth fee and meals. Be sure to come up with a
        reasonable fee that will pay enough for meals. Electricity, phone and Internet
        lines must be handled separately by the hotel, a company with the hotel, or an
        outside contractor.
     l. Internet and phone systems must be monitored very closely by the Exhibit
        committee. The hotel management and the chair of the Exhibit committee are
        encouraged to have good communication.
     m. No door prizes in Exhibit Halls during the break times.
     n. Put sponsors in the middle of the room or a place where they will be seen. It
        is very important that the sponsors be seen because they help finance the
        conference with their $$$$$.
     o. Stalls for videophones (VRS) should be set up to allow privacy for the
        conference participants when they make VRS calls.
     p. Return any borrowed equipment.


                                                                                    16
                 2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                   General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                                  December 2, 2005
                                  FINAL REPORT
     q. Send letters of thanks to all involved.

4.    BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED:
     The hotel internet server went down the Monday night before the opening day of
     the conference. We had set up a Cyper Café with no internet services.

5.   WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE?
     Booth tables, drapes, and dividers are the largest expenses for the Exhibit
     committee. The hotel tends to charge high for the rentals of tables.

6.   WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
     COMMITTEE GIVES FOR NEXT YEAR?
     a. Work closely as a TEAM!!!
     b. Have good communication with the exhibitors
     c. Be available for the exhibitors during the duration of the SERID Conference.
     d. Stay in the Exhibit hall at ALL times. Do not plan to attend any sessions.




                                                                                       17
                  2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                   General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                               December 2, 2005
                               FINAL REPORT



1.   GENERAL PLANNING COMMITTEE – TERRYE FISH
     Terrye.Fish@ncmail.net

2.   NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE
     Three members – Conference chair, treasurer, and secretary.

5.   DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE
     - Bring together interested persons to form a general conference planning
       committee.
     - Maintain the minutes of all meetings and distribute the minutes to the
       committee chairs.
     - Form committees and appoint chairpersons for each committee.
     - Develop a conference theme with the committee chairs.
     - Obtain a post office box for one year.
     - Develop a rough budget for the conference based on early estimates of costs
       anticipated by committee members.
     - Finalize projected conference budget and submit it to the general planning
       committee chairs.
     - Finalize master schedule listing individual responsibilities, equipment,
       captioners needs, SSPs needs, and interpreters needs.
     - Review the conference schedule and specific needs with hotel staff, catering
       office, interpreting chair, and persons responsible for additional equipment.
     - A troubleshooter should be assigned to each session or function to smooth out
       any difficulties. Several individuals should be designated to work with trouble
       shooter with specific responsibilities.
     - Return any borrowed equipment.
     - Send letters of thanks to all involved.
     - Work with the webmaster to develop an electronic evaluation form.
     - Work with the webmaster to disseminate and tabulate the results of the
       conference evaluations.
     - Prepare financial reports showing expenses and income for the conference.
       Pay any outstanding bills and close the conference account.
     - De-brief the local planning committee members and have each committee
       chairperson prepare a report that includes the procedures followed as well as
       suggestions for change.
     - Finalize the budget for audit and submission to attorney for taxes.

6.   BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED
     Having travel restrictions the last two months before the conference.

5.   WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE?
     Paying for interpreting services (2) for each conference planning meeting and


                                                                                     18
                2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                  General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                              December 2, 2005
                              FINAL REPORT
     each committee meeting.

6.   WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
     COMMITTEE GIVE FOR NEXT YEAR?
     Plan ahead!
     Have many meetings to review everyone’s responsibilities again and again.




                                                                                 19
                  2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                   General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                               December 2, 2005
                               FINAL REPORT

1.   GOODY BAGS – HADIYA YISRAEL
     Hadiya.Yisrael@ncmail.net

2.   NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE: 4

3.   DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE:
     Responsible for locating companies, business, and agencies that was willing to
     donate items for goody bags. Send letters to vendors who serve consumers with
     hearing loss. Call businesses, mail letters to different vendors to get donations
     and visit different places for assistance. Ask staff for possible companies to visit
     such as car dealerships, banks, dentists, doctor office, and agencies. Look up
     businesses in phone books. Arrange pick up of donated items from companies.
     Bring all donated items for the goody bag to the hotel. Arrange a time at the
     conference for planners to stuff the bags.

4.   BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED:
     Discover some business had gone out of business. Many replies were received
     that they could not participate this year.

5.   WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE?
     Postage

6.   WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
     COMMITTEE GIVES FOR NEXT YEAR?
     Make sure you follow up with the vendors that say they want you to
     check with them later, closer to time of conference. Designate some one to
     just do phone calls. Be creative.




                                                                                       20
                  2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                   General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                               December 2, 2005
                               FINAL REPORT

1.   HOSPITALITY – JUDY SHULTS
     Jshultsdriftwood@yahoo.com

2.   NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE: 3 members
     Terrye Fish, Judy Shults, and the local arrangement chair.

3.   DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE:
     Make many contacts with businesses to sponsor the hospitality suite.
     Plan social events for the planning committee in the hospitality suite.
     Meet with the event manager to decide on menus for the conference; buy
     food for the convention within the allotted budget; and plan for the food, wine,
     and other drinks for the hospitality room Also I bought snacks, 3 coolers, and
     bottled water for the hospitality room, one room for the interpreters, and one room
     for the SSPs. This included:

        a. The Reception or Monday night buffet: The menu was picked from
           several presented by the hotel. We did add a turkey station for #200
           people. We had discussed adding several more stations; for example,
           shrimp and hors d’oeuvres such as stuffed mushrooms etc., but decided
           against that because of the budget.

            We decided on a menu called the Blue Ridge Buffet. This included Prime
            Rib, Salmon, Chicken, Risotto, Vegetables, Rolls and Desserts.

        b. We had a breakfast for the state coordinators for the deaf and deaf/blind
           on Monday morning.

        c. Continental Breakfast for two days: This included breakfast bread and
           muffin fresh fruit with grapes, coffee and tea for early morning, Mid-
           morning – coffee and herbal teas Afternoon - cookies, brownies, and
           blondies, sodas and bottled water.

        d. Southern Breakfast on the last morning of the conference – we cut the
           number down by 50 for this meal because it was the last day and many
           people had left.

        e. Boxed lunches on one day – it was the only day we had lunch. We had
           planned for people to go out on the patio to eat but it was very windy so at
           the last minute we set up table in the salon rooms on the 1st floor.

            The hotel gave us a folder with various menus. We picked the ones that
            we thought were the best to serve our purposes.




                                                                                       21
                 2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                   General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                                  December 2, 2005
                                  FINAL REPORT
        f. Hospitality Room: Terrye and I collected $800.00 from our vendors,
           doctors, friends and family members. The money bought subway
           sandwiches, napkins, plastic utensils, clear plastic cups, drinks and wine.
           It also paid for snacks for the individual sessions on the day that we did
           not have lunch. I did this because I had input at one of our planning
           meetings that there needed to be more protein on the days we had
           continental breakfast and cookies, etc. I went to Sams and bought
           miniature chocolate bars, bags of peanuts, and peanut and cheese crackers.
           Also, Terrye’s mother made several wonderful desserts for the hospitality
           room and we reimbursed her for her expenses. I also had a friend that has
           a catering business to donate a fabulous vegetable basket, a cheese tray
           and crackers. On the day before the conference began, the planners met,
           ate in the suite, and then but together the materials for registration and
           donated items in the goody bag..

4.    BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED:
     a. Tabulate reservations for the banquet and any other food functions. Inform
        the caterer of preliminary numbers for these. It was difficult to plan for the
        exact number needed to order. We started out with a #400 estimate then at the
        end ordered for #350. For the breakfast on the last day, we only ordered for
        #300 since we knew that some people would leave early. Also I only ordered
        for #300 for the Continental Breakfast and breaks since I knew that some
        people do not eat breakfast or would eat-in Asheville.

     b. When asking people for donations some companies said that they had
        already allotted their money for the year.

     c. On Monday, we wanted the buffet tables set up with the stage where the hotel
        staff wanted to set up the food stations. The doors to the kitchen were on that
        wall. They were changed at the last minute and the lighting for the new
        location of the stage was poor.


5.   WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE?
      State Coordinators Breakfast    #20 @$10/50 plus 20% $ 252.00
     Monday night buffet            #350  @ $36.95plus 20%   5,519.00
     Add Turley Station             #200  $225 serves #50    1,080.00
     Continental Breakfast & breaks #300  @16.95 plus 20%   12,204.00
     Southern Breakfast             #300  @12.95 plus 20%    4,662.00
     Boxed Lunches                  #350                     5,740.00
     2 carvers                                                  90.00

     2 bartenders                                                              150.00
                                           TOTAL                           $39,697.00



                                                                                     22
                    2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                      General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                                    December 2, 2005
                                    FINAL REPORT
A Service Charge of 20% was added to everything. Also a 7% sales tax was added to
the cost. The treasurer is working with the Department of Revenue for state tax exempt
status on food and hotel room.

As you can see, our largest expense is the Reception dinner or Buffet for $15,519.00

Also, there was a luncheon for the state coordinators sponsored by the Divisions of
Services for the Blind.

SUGGESTIONS:
   a. Start early to ask for donations.
   b. Plan to have vegetarian meal for conference attendees.
   c. Plan for individuals who have other dietary needs such as person with diabetes.
   d. Have some of the breakfast foods and drinks delivered to the rooms for the
      interpreters and SSPs. Those people were working and by the time that got
   e. back to the rooms to eat, the hotel staff had already removed the food. Have hotel
      staff to leave the food for a longer time.
   f. Some of the exhibitors wanted a boxed lunch but they were not counted in the
      registration number and therefore were not included in our order count. A boxed
      lunch was given to a few people. We just happened to have the exact number of
      boxed needed because some people went out to eat. Included the exhibitors for
      the lunch count or explain to them they will be responsible for their own lunch.
  g. Have food in the hospitality room for the day you are setting up for the
      convention. It was too difficult to go out and get food for everyone.




                                                                                       23
                  2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                   General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                               December 2, 2005
                               FINAL REPORT

1.   INTERPRETING COMMITTEE –VALERIE MCMILLAN
     Valerie.mcmillan@ncmail.net

2.   NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE: 7 members

3.   DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE
     Prepared and distributed a “Call for Interpreters”. We came up with the call for
     interpreters, rules/contract, selection screening process, arranging interpreters to
     workshops/events, being a floater at times, sending in registration forms for food,
     sending congratulation/rejection letters, how many interpreters, budget, snacks for
     the meetings, meeting with the interpreters, giving the number of interpreters to
     the Chair of the conference for head count for rooms, etc. Having meetings
     before the conference started, during the conference, and learning how to work
     together as a team.

4.   BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED
     It’s a barrier when things aren’t a success. However, there were some individuals
     who had special needs and they didn’t inform our committee in advance.
     Lighting was an issue on the first day but we survived. We came up with a back
     up plan which was we sat 2 bar stools out mid way in the audience and had 4
     more interpreters placed there. There wasn’t anything accommodating for
     African American interpreters when it came down to Deaf/Blind interpreting
     besides going out to buy white smocks. Next time there needs to be some other
     color back drop for people of color.

     We had over 50 applications to go thru.

5.   WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE?
     Cost of interpreting services.

6.   WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
     COMMITTEE GIVES FOR NEXT YEAR?
     Put a little more money into the budget. I rather have too much money than not
     enough. Make sure the committee counts the interpreters in the count for
     bags/name tags the night before so you can have them in advance.




                                                                                      24
                 2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                  General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                              December 2, 2005
                              FINAL REPORT


1.   LOCAL ARRANGEMENT-ANTHONY BONURA
     Report submitted by Terrye Fish


2.   NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE:
     Three members.

     DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE
     - Contact the City of Asheville Mayor for a letter for the program book.
     - Contact any local dignitaries who might be involved with opening ceremonies
       (a Welcome) at the conference or other related functions.
     - Plan any conference related tours and special events.
     - Contact the city and state tourism offices for local entertainment information
       such as restaurants.
     - Contact the City of Asheville and the Chamber of Commerce to advertise the
       conference. Ask the Chamber of Commerce to have a table set – up near
       registration with a list of restaurants, the kind of food served, and range of
       cost.
     - Contact businesses to obtain coupons or discounts for participants.
     - Contact the hotel to finalize the schedule and room set – up.
     - Teach hotel staff about deaf culture and some sign language.
     - Develop sign language cards for hotel staff to use.
     - Contact the hotel if any additional meeting space is needed for the conference.
     - Assist hotel in obtaining additional ADA kits, closed captioned TV, and ttys
       for the conference.
     - Assign 3 separate rooms for interpreters, captioners, and SSPs and have food
       in each room.
     - Work with the hospitality chair to get food into the suite.
     - Arrange for several bulletin boards to be available in the registration area.
       Reserve two of these for employment opportunities, one for conference
       updates and messages, and one in the registration area itself for committee
       workers.

4.   BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED
     n/a


5.   WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE?
     None.

6.   WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
     COMMITTEE GIVE FOR NEXT YEAR?



                                                                                   25
                  2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                   General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                               December 2, 2005
                               FINAL REPORT



1.   MARKETING/PUBLICITY - BRENDA VLKOJAN
     Brenda.Vlkojan@ncmail.net

2.   NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE: 7 members

3.   DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE
     Responsible for conference publicity in appropriate sources and continue
     throughout the planning process. Develop information for the website for 2005
     SERID conference. Develop a contract with the webmaster. Oversee the web site,
     mailings regarding SERID (included printing, labels, postage), publicity to radio,
     TV, newspapers, other conventions etc., and general marketing regarding
     conference. Register to have a booth at the 2004 conference in Nashville, Tenn;
     with a gift basket of NC foods; and a power point presentation about information
     for Asheville for the Welcome to NC. Place orders for trinkets to help advertise
     SERID (pens, luggage tags, etc). Purchase some marketing tools and printing of
     T-shirts. Arrange set up table at the conference for the sale of the T-shirts.

4.   BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED:
     Participation by members – getting people to take their responsibility seriously.

5.   WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE?
     website

6.   WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
     COMMITTEE GIVES FOR NEXT YEAR?
     More than 1 mailing was needed. Limited it to one due to cost.




                                                                                         26
                  2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                   General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                               December 2, 2005
                               FINAL REPORT


1.   PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT/CERTIFICATIONS-SHELLIAN
     DOUGLAS.
     Shellian.douglas@ncmail.net

2.   NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE: Three members

3.   DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE:
     - Develop a list of possible certifications to be approved.
     - Send letters to the various certification boards with the agenda for approval.
     - Obtain CEU and CRC credits for programming.

     This committee was charged with coordinating the Continuing Education and
     Professional Development Credits for the participants at the SERID conference.
     We initiated contact with credentialing organizations and pursued them to get
     SERID as a provider for the various credits. We decided to give general CEU
     credits from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, RID credits and CRC
     credits.

4.   BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED:
     The main barrier was not knowing the number of people who would be seeking
     credits and what type of credit they need. Some individuals wanted credit even
     though they did not have any professional credentials, others were not sure about
     what credit they needed.

5.   WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE?
     The largest expense for this committee was printing the attendance verification
     forms…but the forms were worth it.

6.   WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
     COMMITTEE GIVE FOR NEXT YEAR?
     I would ask the people on the early registration form what type of credit they were
     seeking!

     CEUS AND THOSE FORMS: Give a verbal explanation at the beginning of
     the first workshops for the conference, provide info in smaller groups and give
     them a visual by allowing them to have the form in hand while reviewing .

     We were busy during the conference, but overall, it was successful. We were able
     to assist over 200 people with credits!




                                                                                        27
                  2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                   General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                               December 2, 2005
                               FINAL REPORT


1.   PROGRAM DEVELOPMENT-CONNIE BARNETTE
     Connie.barnette@ncmail.net

2.   NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE: 8 members

3.   DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE:
     The Committee met to discuss the theme and what types of training was desired.
     The Committee contacted special interest groups for input regarding program
     planning and possible pre-conference workshop sponsorship. The training areas
     were discussed and identified to address each topic area of interest. The areas,
     which were identified to be addressed at SERID, were Vocational/Employment,
     Transition, Education (Public Schools and Schools for the Deaf), Mental Health
     (MH), Deaf/Blind, Assistive Technology, Community Resources, Assistive
     Technology, Interpreting and ADA.

     Identify possible keynote and plenary session speakers and relate potential
     presentation topics to the overall conference theme. There were also two pre-
     conference sessions held addressing the Social Security PASS and also
     interpreting issues. Each Committee member represented the area of
     training/concurrent session identified from his or her respective Division. Ex.
     Staff member from the Div. of MH Services responsible for MH concurrent
     session(s), Staff member from Services for the Blind responsible for concurrent
     session(s) related to deaf/blindness. Once the Committee member was given their
     area of training/concurrent session(s), the member was then responsible for
     contacting possible speakers and also possible training topics.

     Decided on a program format. The Committee Member then reported back to the
     group and a final decision was made with regard to the training topic, as it would
     appear on the agenda. The Committee member was also responsible for
     identifying funds for the speakers from their respective agencies. Contact all
     speakers to confirm attendance.

     Host an Open Air Market for Consumers to sell their products. Invite consumers
     to bring their products at no cost to them or SERID. Whatever they sell, the
     money is theirs.

     Developed a conference evaluation procedures.
     Print the program book.
     Secure volunteers to introduce speakers and collect workshop evaluations.
     Meet with these volunteers the first day of the conference and provide written
     instructions on their responsibilities.
     Prepare signs for meeting rooms and other hotel areas.



                                                                                      28
                  2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                   General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                               December 2, 2005
                               FINAL REPORT

4.   BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED
     One of the biggest barriers was identifying a time that fit with everyone’s
     schedules. Everyone on the Committee has such a demanding, important job in
     their respective Divisions that they would be called away at a moment’s notice
     and be unable to attend some of the initial meetings.

     The other barrier was several speakers cancelled at the last moment due to
     financial and/or travel limitations in their own states.

     Be careful of assigning rooms and know that anything with an interpreting or
     language theme will always draw a lot of people, give that a larger room.

     However, the barriers were very minimal and easy to overcome.

5.   WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE
     It would have been a large expense to sponsor some of the well-known speakers
     and presenters at the conference. But we were able through the different divisions
     or either through corporate sponsors to fund these costs.

     The program book was an expense but not out of the ordinary for the printing and
     publication of such a document.


6.   WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
     COMMITTEE GIVE FOR NEXT YEAR?
     The one area that could prove to be beneficial would be for the Committee to
     meet via teleconference if any members cannot be at the meeting from their
     location (s) across the state.

     We were fortunate because we had planned and planned and planned WELL in
     advance. That was the key to success. The minor issues were much easier to
     handle such as when a speaker has to back out at the last moment.

     POINT OF SPECIAL INTEREST:
     Another key point that will assure success at all upcoming SERID conferences is
     the collaborative efforts by all of the Divisions. It was inspiring to see so many
     different Agencies cross the lines and work as a TEAM with the same goal
     established, a fantastic Program for the SERID conference. This was also one of
     the most valuable keys to the success.




                                                                                      29
                  2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                   General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                               December 2, 2005
                               FINAL REPORT


1.   REGISTRATION - LAURA ROBISON AND PEGGY BROOKS
     Laura.robison@ncmail.net
     Peggy.Brooks@cpcc.edu

2.   NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE – 5 members

3.   DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE:
     a. Developed a 2004 preliminary registration form for the exhibit booth in
        Tennessee
     b. Developed an 2005 early bird registration form for the website with hotel
        information, agenda/speakers, and other information
     c. Created invoice for purchase orders
     d. Created database for registration information
     e. Created system to keep track of all registrations
     f. Added speakers’ names and addresses to the list of persons to whom
        registration material will be sent.
     g. Picked and ordered conference bags
     h. Ordered nametag holders
     i. Purchased and printed nametags
     j. Created receipts for all registered individuals
     k. Drafted returned check letters, registration postcards
     l. Confirmed all registrations via email or snail mail
     m. Ordered ribbons for nametags (presenters, exhibitors etc)
     n. Answered any questions regarding registration
     o. Collect material for registration packets, including conference and session
        evaluation forms and name tags.
     p. Coordinate a time at the conference to stuff the registration packets with
        “goodies”.
     q. Staffed registration table at conference
     r. Re-check arrangements for on-site registration. Handled all registrations at the
        door and printed nametags on site. Have a laptop and printer available at the
        registration table.

4.   BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED
     a. Illegible handwriting
     b. Keeping track of unpaid registrations
     c. Keeping track of onsite registrations
     d. Make sure first and last name are on name tags
     e. Difficulty keeping track of who needed ribbons, better system needed
     f. Last minute late registration - need more than one person to handle this
     g. Exhibitors not counted into total for nametag pouches
     h. Interpreters, CAN, SSPs not counted in to bag totals
     i. Registration table too small for first day


                                                                                     30
                       2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                        General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                                    December 2, 2005
                                    FINAL REPORT

5.        WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE?
          a. Bags and nametag holders

6.        WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
          COMMITTEE GIVES FOR NEXT YEAR?
          a. Keep database and/or tracking system as simple as possible
          b. Keep better track of unpaid registrations
          c. Keep track of additional tickets (awards banquet, entertainment)
          d. When/if doing early registration, include all categories that you need (early
              registration did not ask for accommodation information so had to contact all
              those people and ask them to fill out a full registration form)
          e. Print nametags prior to the day before the conference starts
          f. Make sure all workers for registration table are trained before conference
              starts
          g. Put the registration desk in a room instead of the lobby for the first day (better
              traffic flow through the lobby
          h. Have someone who is not part of the registration committee at the desk selling
              t-shirts at all times
          i. Have a CEU person available at all times at registration desk
     j.   Include all entertainment tickets, meal tickets etc with registration packet on first
          day.
     k.   ALD booth needs to have someone there at all times
     l.   Make a deadline for all conference refunds for cancellations
     m.   Make a deadline for early bird student registrations
     n.   Add exhibitors into food count but possibly charge extra for food




                                                                                            31
                   2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                    General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                                December 2, 2005
                                FINAL REPORT

1.   SUPPORT SERVICES PROVIDERS - HALINA MILEWSKA
     Halina.milewska@ncmail.net

2.   NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE: 4 members

3.   DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
     A. Develop application for SSPs
     B. Place call for SSPs' application on SERID Website
     C. Match SSPs' abilities with participant's needs
     D. Schedule SSPs from Breakfast to bedtime to meet participant's schedule E.
        Set up conference rooms to meet the deaf-blind participants
     E. Set up conference rooms to meet the deaf-blind participants and Interpreters
        needs
         1. Black or Light (for Interpreters of color) backdrops for interpreters,
            so there is no glare.
         2. Cover tables where participants sit with a black table cloth
         3. Set up tables where participants will be sitting: close to the front to provide
             easy access to Interpreters and to Computer Access Note-takers and their
             screens
     F. Encourage deaf-blind participants who need an SSP to register early, so that
         the number of SSPs needed can be estimated. Remind the participants that if
         they do not register by the last day of regular registration that SSP
         accommodations may not be guaranteed.
     G. Estimate Budget for SSPs (all expenses except travel are paid for except for
        State Employees)
        1. Room Cost
        2. Meals
        3. Registration Fees
        4. Any outside entertainment activity that requires a ticket.
     H. Coordinate with Interpreter Chairperson, participant’s communication needs
        and schedule
     I. Coordinate with Registration Chairperson regarding meal tickets, rooms,
        registration, and activity tickets for SSPs that are non-State employees

4.     BARRIERS COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED
       A. Not enough SSPs due to last minute dropouts
       B. Conference participants who changed their minds at the last minute about
          which workshop to attend
       C. Making sure that participants understand that SSP accommodations are only
          guaranteed if registered on time.

5.     WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE OF COMMITTEE?
       (IN-KIND PAYMENT)
       A. SERID providing Hotel Rooms for SSPs that are non-state employees


                                                                                        32
             2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
               General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                             December 2, 2005
                             FINAL REPORT
     B. SERID in kind payment of Conference fees for non-state employees
     C. SERID paying for all meals/meal tickets at state rate for non-state
        Employees
     D. SERID paying for entertainment tickets for SSPs that are non-state
        Employees

6.   WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
     COMMITTEE GIVES FOR NEXT YEAR?
     A. Place call for SSPs application on Website and have them fill out a regular
        registration form to be mailed to SSP Chairperson
     B. Have a formalized schedule for SSPs coordinated with participant’s activity

     C. Coordinate with Interpreters better; have the participants inform us of
         which workshop attending
     D. Have too many SSPs than not enough
     E. Inform participants that conference rooms have been pre set-up, but that they
        can ask someone to change it to meet their needs
     F. Make sure that there are light and dark backdrops for Interpreters depending
        on the Interpreters skin color




                                                                                  33
                 2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                  General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                              December 2, 2005
                              FINAL REPORT


1.   TRANSPORTATION – KIM WILSON
     Kim.wilson@ncmail.net

2.   NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE: 1 member

3.   DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE
     Contacting businesses (shuttle bus service, rental car agency, cab companies) that
     would provide transportation for conference attendees. Collecting info for the
     Website. Contracting business for transportation for tours/outings held during the
     conference. Contacted local cab companies.

4.   BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED
     None really

5.   WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE?
     Shuttle bus for Toys performance

6.   WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
     COMMITTEE GIVES FOR NEXT YEAR?
     This will really vary depending on the location.




                                                                                     34
                 2005 Southeast Regional Institute on Deafness
                  General Planning Meeting, Greensboro, NC
                              December 2, 2005
                              FINAL REPORT

1.   VOLUNTEERS - BONITA EASTER
     Bonita.easter@ncmail.net

2.   NUMBER OF MEMBERS ON THE COMMITTEE: 1 member

        a.     DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMMITTEE
               Contacted the interpreting training programs to solicit volunteers to
               work at the hotel registration desk, chamber of Commerce table, the
               gift shop, the hotel restaurant, etc. Recruiting volunteers to assist with
               registration; meal tickets; setting up, or anything needed during the
               conference.
        b.     BARRIERS THE COMMITTEE ENCOUNTERED Students in
               interpreting programs expressed concerns of affording rooms and
               registration. Many were also planning to take workshops as well and
               couldn’t volunteer due to the number of days they would be out of
               classes. Students expressed interest and didn’t follow-up if they came
               to the conference for volunteer hours. The emphasis it seemed for
               many students in their programs was to attend workshops and not for
               the exposure itself of the conference.

5.   WHAT WAS THE LARGEST EXPENSE FOR THE COMMITTEE? None

6.   WHAT RECOMMENDATIONS OF IMPROVEMENT WOULD THE
     COMMITTEE GIVES FOR NEXT YEAR? More contact with directors of
     interpreting programs to encourage and coordinate students to attend and maybe
     setting up some stipend through the colleges for students who attend and
     volunteer.




                                                                                       35

								
To top