Latino is the
Hispanic or Latino ?
Latino or Mexican ?
Culture is everything
that makes a person.
It affects how you see
Child Bearing Beliefs
Learn style Culture Attitudes
Some reasons for Immigration are…
-Sense of Community
-Sense of Belonging
What kinds of barriers or challenges
do you have with
Latino Immigrant Children and Families?
Possible characteristics of
Immigrant Latino children and families….
What can you do to help
children and families feel
welcome and accepted?
- Incorporate the child’s culture
- Allow the use of Spanish
- Contribute to their
• learning process
• tolerance of others differences
Show love and acceptance:
- Be affectionate
- Allow them to attach to at least
one special person
- Give compliments
Do not assume.
- Always evaluate children’s behavior through
their own culture
- Evaluate your own biases
- Ask about cultural preferences
- Ask parents how they do certain
things at home
- Clarify values
Learn basic Spanish:
- The family and child will feel you are
trying to connect with them
- Show interest in learning
Have some Latino staff:
- Creates trust
- Opens communication
- Culturally sensitive manner
- Families will get more involved
Add cultural elements to
- Latino food in their menu
- Magazines from different cultures
- Hats of different cultures
- Multi-ethnic dolls/puppets
- Latino pretend food
- Bilingual puzzles
- Books (bilingual, no stereotypes)
- Posters/visual materials with Latino children
- Spanish music/songs and rhymes
- Musical instruments (maracas, drums, guitars)
The early childhood classroom
constantly provides messages about
WHAT the program values, and WHO
is valued, from what hangs on the walls.
Every child, regardless of sex or race,
needs to be
Helping a child learn to socialize is essential.
Helping a child learn to write is essential.
Helping a child learn to read is essential.
But helping a child learn about one’s
own culture is the first step in helping
a child learn who he or she
Oklahoma Child Care
Resource and Referral
Hispanic Services Coordinator
(405) 942-4179 / 1-800-962-2772