2009 Distracted Driving
• A Statewide Initiative
• Funded by the DMV: The Virginia
Highway Safety Office
• Supported by more than 100 partners
• Goal is to raise awareness about distracted
• Current date is April 29, 2009
Ways that you can help……
• Sign up your school to
be a DDAD partner
• Post materials and
organize activities for
• Promote our DDAD
Contest Specifics – Who Can Enter
• To be eligible to participate in this
contest, entrants must be Virginia
residents who are enrolled in high
Contest Specifics – Poster and PSA
• Top entries in each category will receive
$500 (Prize money provided by DRIVE
SMART). Other finalists will receive prize
awards as donated by our member
• The award-winning poster and PSA will be
distributed throughout Virginia to help
promote Distracted Driving Awareness Day
Contest Specifics - Poster and PSA
• Each contestant may submit one entry, whether it
be art or video
• The deadline for entry submission is November
28. All entries must be postmarked or received in
hand by 5:00 pm November 28. We will not be
responsible for lost, late or misdirected mail or for
printing errors, server unavailability, computer or
any other electronic malfunction.
Contest specifics – Poster and PSA
• All entries become the property of DRIVE
SMART Virginia and will not be returned.
• To enter visit www.drivesmartva.org and
print out and complete the entry form and
release. Mail your completed entry form
and submission to DRIVE SMART
Virginia, 1805 Monument Avenue, Suite
305, Richmond, Virginia 23220.
Contest specifics – Poster and PSA
• All entries received that are mutilated,
tampered with, illegible, or from
ineligible entrants will be void.
• By entering, entrants represent that the
submission is their own original work
and does not violate the rights of any
Poster Contest Specifics
• Only original artwork will be considered.
• Copyrighted Images/Subjects: Original signed
release forms are required for copyrighted images
or materials. Release forms are also needed for
"subjects," whether public or private citizens.
• Artwork: Poster should be 11 x 17 in size. The
poster must include the words Don’t Drive
Distracted and DRIVE SMART’s website address
More Poster Specifics
• Electronic entries will not be accepted.
• Mounted, frames or laminated entries will not be
• Category winners may be asked for additional
materials including a high-resolution .jpg of the
poster. Computer-generated poster winners will be
asked to send a disk or CD of all poster files. DO
NOT include a disk with your poster entry.
Video Contest Specifics
• To enter, entrants must produce (write, shoot and
edit to final production) their own twenty (:20)
second public service announcement (“PSA”). The
PSA must be exactly :20 in length and provide
educational messages designed to raise awareness
about the dangers of distracted driving.
• Entries must be submitted in mini-DV tape or
DVD format only. No other formats will be
More Video Contest Specifics
• Entrants are responsible for submitting as part of
their entry an Appearance Release form for any
and all participants appearing in the PSA.
Participants who are under 18 years of age must
each have a parent or guardian sign the
Appearance Release form.
• By entering, entrants represent that the PSA is
their own original work and does not violate the
rights of any third parties. Entrants cannot use
copyrighted music in the PSA; only original or
Judging of the Entries
• Entries will be judged by a
panel of judges comprised of
representatives of DRIVE
SMART Virginia member
companies, the Virginia
Department of Education, and
the appropriate medium experts
Pieces will be judged on:
• Overall impact: does this piece deliver an effective
message? (Focus on ability to change behavior, provide
information, draw emotions, and be sharp and focused)
• Originality: is this a new and original concept, idea or
• Artistic style and talent: is this a high quality piece? Does
it reflect great talent? (25%)
• In the event of a tie, the judges will make the final decision.
Right to Edit
• DRIVE SMART may edit the entries
to accommodate space confines or to
accentuate or define existing art.
DRIVE SMART reserves the right to
edit, crop or alter the piece without
notification to or approval by the
entrant. DRIVE SMART also reserves
the right to reject all submissions for
the final poster and/or PSA piece.
• DRIVE SMART reserves the right to select up to four
finalists for each medium. The winner will receive $500.
Remaining finalists will receive an assortment of items as
donated by member companies.
• The finalists will be notified by phone. Finalists must sign
and return a release and affidavit of eligibility, which must
be received within two (2) days of notification. If a finalist
is a minor, then the finalist’s parents or guardian must sign
a release and affidavit of eligibility before the finalist
receives his or her prize. Finalists must show picture
identification to claim prizes.
More prize information
• If finalist does not timely return the affidavit of eligibility,
the prize will be awarded to an alternate finalist.
• There will be no substitutions or cash alternatives for
prizes except at the sole discretion of DRIVE SMART,
who has the right to substitute a prize of similar value. No
transfer or assignment of prizes is allowed.
• DRIVE SMART is not responsible for any liabilities
arising directly or indirectly from the award or use of the
• In claiming your prize, you acknowledge that DRIVE
SMART has the right to publicize your name, character,
likeness, photograph, voice and the fact that you are the
finalist and/or winner for promotional purposes without
• Complete contest rules are available at www.drivesmartva.org.
• A list of prize winners will be published at www.drivesmartva.org
• This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and is
void where prohibited. DRIVE SMART accepts no responsibility or
liability in connection with any injuries, losses or damages of any kind
caused by or resulting from the acceptance, possession or use of any
prize awarded hereunder.
• DRIVE SMART cannot be held liable for any lost or stolen entries,
prizes or contest information.
• DRIVE SMART reserves the right to make rules and contest changes
and change the aforementioned contest dates.