Citizenship and Electing a President: what are my
Developed by ANNE KEYTE
How important is voting for President of the United states as a
Should you help elect a president by voting if you are not
With the presidential election comingup soon let's find out what
the qualifications and job description of President are.
Let's also see what your responsibilities as a citizen are in the
Then let's investigate the main issues that each candidate is
talking about and that they see as important to their Presidency.
How are their ideas and plans for the presidency different?
Are any of them similar? What are the issues?
What do YOU think are the most important issues?
This year's election is historical for many reasons so learning
about the candidate's and the issues is really important!
You will be looking at links in this WebQuest and then use
them to answer all the questions in your packet.
Each link provides you with a video containing information on being
a good citizen, voting, and the President's job qualifications and
other information on the job of being President.
You will use these links to complete the activity and quiz portion of
There are also links to the two presidential cansidates official
websites where you can find information about their campaigns and
what some of the issues are.
You will pick 4 issues that are important to each candidate and
write a short description of each
You may go back and access the vidoes and website links as often
as needed to get information to complete your tasks.
Process And Resources
To complete your task you will need to:
● Watch the video on Brain Pop about Rights and
Resposibilities of a citizen at this link and do the Quiz on
Rights and Responsibilities.
● Watch the video on Brain Pop about Presidential Power
at this link and answer the True/False Questions on your
● Watch the Brain Pop video on the Presidential
Election at this link and answer the questions on your
Presidential Election Quiz sheet.
● Watch the Brain Pop Video on Voting at this link and then
take the Voting Quiz. True or False Activity Sheet on Voting
and the make your voice heard Graphic Organizer Sheet.
Continue To Next Page
● Go to this offcial link for presidential candidate Barack Obama
and find at least two of the issues/ideas he is proposing
and write a short paragraph about them on the OBAMA FOR
PRESIDENT sheet in your packet. http://www.barackobama.com/issues/
● Go to this official link for presidential candidate John McCain
and find at least two of the issues/ideas he is proposing and write a
short paragraph about each one on the MCCAIN FOR
PRESIDENT sheet in your packet.
Name: _____________________ Date: ___________________
Project Title: _____________________ Teacher(s): Anne Keyte
5th Grade Social Studies packet
Process Below Avg. Satisfactory Excellent
1. Has clear vision of final product 1, 2, 3 4, 5, 6 7, 8, 9
2. Properly organized to complete project 1, 2, 3 4, 5, 6 7, 8, 9
3. Managed time wisely 1, 2, 3 4, 5, 6 7, 8, 9
4. Acquired needed knowledge base 1, 2, 3 4, 5, 6 7, 8, 9
5. Communicated efforts with teacher 1, 2, 3 4, 5, 6 7, 8, 9
Product (Project) Below Avg. Satisfactory Excellent
1. Format 1, 2, 3 4, 5, 6 7, 8, 9
2. Mechanics of speaking/writing 1, 2, 3 4, 5, 6 7, 8, 9
3. Organization and structure 1, 2, 3 4, 5, 6 7, 8, 9
4. Creativity 1, 2, 3 4, 5, 6 7, 8, 9
5. Demonstrates knowledge 1, 2, 3 4, 5, 6 7, 8, 9, 10
6. Other: 1, 2, 3 4, 5, 6 7, 8, 9
Powered by TeAch-nology.com- The Web Portal For Educators! (www.teach-nology.com)
When you have completed this WebQuest you will have a better knowledge base about
your role as a citizen in your community and in your country, especially during the
process of a presidential election. You will better understand the process of electing
a president and the responsibilities of being president.
Did this WebQuest and the things you learned make you want to be a leader in your
community or even on the national level...maybe even President???
Images and ClipArt
http://www.teach-nology.com/cgi-bin/project_rub.cgi For the Rubric