Brighton Dome & Festival Limited
Job Title: Programmer
Accountable to: Director of Artistic Planning
Job Purpose: To assist the Director of Artistic Planning in the programming
of events for the year round programme for the Dome.
1. To ensure that all of the Dome’s own promotions are planned, organised and co-
ordinated successfully and to ensure that artists engaged by the Dome are properly
looked after by the organisation.
2. To ensure that all public event clients who enquire about and hire the Brighton Dome
receive an excellent service and that the key aspects of their event are discussed and
agreed before passing over to the relevant Departments.
3. To have a creative input into programming the Dome’s year round events.
4. To arrange site visits for clients if necessary. Undertake a review and evaluation of
client’s satisfaction with the services provided by the Brighton Dome.
5. To assist the Director of Artistic Planning with negotiating fees and budgeting.
6. To ensure client and event details are routinely entered onto Artifax and updated as
7. To establish the artist or client’s pre-production requirements, and liaise with venue
and technical operations, and other departments where appropriate, to ensure
accurate dissemination of information.
8. Assist in the confirmation of event details and provision of all appropriate contractual
and financial information for the Contracts Manager to enable appropriate
correspondence, contracts and invoices to be issued. To assist in aspects of the final
settlement as necessary.
9. Assist in the confirmation of event details in ensuring that shows are put on sale at the
Box office accurately.
10. Liaise with Marketing Department to ensure the Press and Marketing Officers have all
necessary details for the event. Assist with proofreading as necessary. Contribute to
the event on sale procedure as necessary to ensure Box Office have required
11. Confirm final event requirements including Riders and ensure such information is
properly distributed to the relevant departments and provide on the day contact
information for the artist or client.
12. Assist with artists liaison as necessary and including occasional attendance at event
13. To assist with aspects of national touring on behalf of the Brighton Dome organised
by the Director of Artistic Planning
14. To assist the Head of Artists Development and Creative Producer with specific
projects as necessary.
15. To promote and comply with The Dome’s policies on equal opportunities and Health
and Safety, both in delivery of services and treatment of others.
16. To contribute to the overall artistic development of the Brighton Dome, assist in the
running of the department and carry out any other duties reasonably requested by the
Director of Artistic Planning.
Director of LAP Production
Head ofProgrammer Programming
Artistic Programming Head of LAP
Development and Officer
PERSON SPECIFICATION AND OUTLINE TERMS
A mature and confident administrator with creative programming skills, a hands on
approach, excellent people skills and extensive organisational abilities.
A minimum of 2 year’s event programming experience.
Strong interpersonal, communication, administration and IT skills
An ability to handle several diverse projects at once and meet deadlines under
pressure in a busy environment
Ability to manage own time effectively and efficiently
A flexible and adaptable approach and ability to work as part of a team
Broad interest and knowledge of arts and entertainment especially in field of world
A knowledge of industry professionals and contacts within the arts sector.
Able to work effectively with a wide range of people including artists & general
An ability to pay close attention to detail.
A commitment to furthering the aims and ambitions of Brighton Dome and Festival
Experience of Artifax Event
Knowledge of a second European language
Salary: £25,000 per annum
Pension: 6.5% company contribution after probationary period.
Hours: Full time, 37 hours per week averaged over 52 weeks including
evening and weekend work. Extra hours may be required in order to
fulfil the responsibilities of your post at no extra remuneration.
Holidays: 20 days per annum, increasing to 25 days after 5 years service.
Notice Period: 1 month