Word 2003 Page 1 of 11
Microsoft Office 2003
CREATING A RESEARCH PAPER
Test Bank Answers are on page Error! Bookmark not defined.12.
Note: If you are preparing an examination using your own word processor, for Multiple
Choice questions 1 and 2 you must use the Picture command on the Insert menu to
insert Figure WD03.bmp. The figure is referenced when students answer the
question. When the Insert Picture dialog box displays, select Figure WD03.bmp
from the Word subfolder in the Printed Test Bank folder in the Test Bank & Test
Engine menu item and make sure the Link to File check box is not checked.
1. When using the MLA style, position explanatory notes either at the _____, as shown in the
a. top of the page as headnotes or at the end of the paper as endnotes
b. bottom of the page as footnotes or at the end of the paper as endnotes
c. top of the page as headnotes or at the beginning of the paper as frontnotes
d. bottom of the page as footnotes or at the beginning of the paper as frontnotes
2. On the works cited page, list works by each author’s last name and _____ the title of the
work, as shown in the accompanying figure.
a. italicize or underline
b. boldface or italicize
c. underline or boldface
d. enlarge or underline
3. Word is preset to use standard 8.5-by-11-inch paper with _____ margins.
a. 1-inch left, right, top, and bottom
b. 1.25-inch left, right, top, and bottom
Page 2 of 11 Project 2: Creating a Research Paper
c. 1.25-inch left and right margins and 1-inch top and bottom
d. 1-inch left and right margins and 1.25-inch top and bottom
4. To change margin settings, click _____ on the menu bar and then point to the Page Setup
5. Headers and footers can include text and graphics, as well as the _____.
a. current date
b. page number
c. current time
d. all of the above
6. Insert Date, Format Page Number, and Insert AutoText are buttons on the _____ toolbar.
b. Header and Footer
7. The shortcut keys for the _____ character formatting are CTRL+SHIFT+PLUS SIGN.
a. case of letters
b. underline words, not spaces
d. all capital letters
8. To increase a paragraph indent, use the _____ shortcut keys.
9. Each time the _____ key is pressed, the paragraph formatting in the previous paragraph is
carried forward to the next paragraph.
Word 2003 Page 3 of 11
10. Word has a list of predefined typing, spelling, capitalization, and grammar errors that
_____ can detect and correct.
11. To set an exception to an AutoCorrect rule, click _____ on the menu bar and then click
AutoCorrect Options to display the AutoCorrect dialog box.
12. The MLA style specifies that a superscript be used for a note reference mark to signal an
explanatory note exists either at the bottom of the page as a(n) _____.
a. footnote or at the end of the document as a startnote
b. headnote or at the end of the document as an endnote
c. footnote or at the end of the document as an endnote
d. headnote or at the end of the document as a startnote
13. The formats defined by _____ include character formatting, such as the font and font size;
paragraph formatting, such as line spacing and text alignment; table formatting; and list
14. The Footnote Text style defines characters as _____.
a. 12-point Times New Roman and paragraphs as single-spaced and right-aligned
b. 10-point Times New Roman and paragraphs as double-spaced and left-aligned
c. 12-point Times New Roman and paragraphs as double-spaced and right-aligned
d. 10-point Times New Roman and paragraphs as single-spaced and left-aligned
15. To verify that the note text is positioned correctly on the page, switch to _____ view or
display the document in print preview.
b. print layout
Page 4 of 11 Project 2: Creating a Research Paper
c. page layout
d. page edit
16. To edit note text, use the _____ at the bottom of the Word window.
a. sizing handle
b. footnote text window
d. note pane
17. The Word Count command on the Tools menu displays the number of words as well as the
number of _____ in the current document.
d. all of the above
18. In normal view, automatic page breaks _____.
a. do not display
b. display on the screen as a single dotted horizontal line
c. display on the screen above the header and beneath the footer
d. display on the screen as a line separated by the words Page Break
19. Although it is not shown in normal view, to view a header, click _____ on the menu bar
and then click Header and Footer.
20. According to the MLA style, the _____ is a bibliographical list of sources that are
referenced directly in a research paper.
a. parenthetical citations page
b. works cited page
c. explanatory notes page
d. superscript reference page
21. With Word’s AutoCorrect entries, to display an indifferent face () type _____.
Word 2003 Page 5 of 11
22. When a hyperlink is created, Word formats the Web address as _____.
a. italicized and colored red
b. italicized and colored blue
c. underlined and colored red
d. underlined and colored blue
23. To select a block of text, click at the beginning of the selection, scroll to the end of the
selection, position the mouse pointer at the end of the selection, hold down the _____ key,
and then click (or drag through the text).
24. With the _____, Word notifies that a smart tag is available by displaying a smart tag
indicator on the screen.
a. AutoCorrect Options and Paste Options
b. Smart Tag Actions and Copy Actions
c. AutoCorrect Options and Smart Tag Actions
d. Paste Options and Copy Actions
25. When the same word is used in multiple locations or a word is used that was not quite
appropriate, a thesaurus can be used to look up a(n) _____, or a word similar in meaning.
T F 1. Although many different styles of documentation exist for report preparation, each
style requires the same basic information.
T F 2. To follow the MLA style, single-space text on all pages with one and a half-inch top
and bottom margins, and one-inch left and right margins.
T F 3. According to MLA style, on each page of the research paper, precede the page
number by the title of the paper.
Page 6 of 11 Project 2: Creating a Research Paper
T F 4. Using the MLA style of documentation, the title of the paper is centered one double-
space below the writer’s name and course information.
T F 5. In the MLA style, notes are used only for optional explanatory notes.
T F 6. The MLA style uses the term bibliographical references for works cited.
T F 7. When the Page Setup dialog box is used to change margin settings, the new margin
settings take effect immediately in the document.
T F 8. When you change the margin settings in the text boxes in the Page Setup dialog
box, the Preview area adjusts to reflect a changed margin setting.
T F 9. By default, Word single-spaces between lines of text and automatically adjusts line
height to accommodate various font sizes and graphics.
T F 10. To apply the most recently set line spacing to the current or selected paragraphs,
click the Line Spacing button arrow.
T F 11. Using the Page Numbers command, you can specify the location and alignment of
the page numbers.
T F 12. To place your name to the left of the page number, as required by the MLA style,
you must create a header that contains the page number.
T F 13. When the Header and Footer command on the View menu is clicked, Word
switches to normal view, which does not display the document as it will print.
T F 14. To move a docked toolbar, right-click its move handle and click Move on the
resulting shortcut menu.
T F 15. Headers and footers do not display on the screen when the document window is in
normal view because they block the text.
T F 16. To use Click and Type, you click a blank area of the document window.
T F 17. The shortcut keys used to left-align a paragraph are CTRL+A.
T F 18. The shortcut keys used to center a paragraph are CTRL+L.
T F 19. CTRL+B, CTRL+], and CTRL+U are all shortcut keys for formatting paragraphs.
T F 20. To decrease a font size, use the CTRL+SHIFT+< shortcut keys.
T F 21. To right-align a paragraph, use the CTRL+R shortcut keys.
Word 2003 Page 7 of 11
T F 22. In addition to a predefined list of AutoCorrect spelling, capitalization, and grammar
errors, you can create your own AutoCorrect entries to add to the list.
T F 23. To delete a note, select the note reference mark in the note pane by dragging
through the note reference mark, and then click the Cut button on the Standard
T F 24. To count words, click Tools on the menu bar and then click Word Count.
T F 25. A floating toolbar, such as the Word Count toolbar, can be moved anywhere on the
screen by dragging its title bar.
T F 26. If you add text, delete text, or modify text on a page, Word recomputes the position
of automatic page breaks and adjusts them accordingly.
T F 27. According to the MLA style, the first line of each entry on the works cited page
begins at the left margin.
T F 28. Word never moves or adjusts automatic page breaks; however, Word adjusts
manual page breaks that follow an automatic page break.
T F 29. The shortcut keys, CTRL+ENTER, instruct Word to insert an automatic page break
immediately above the insertion point and position the insertion point immediately
below the automatic page break.
T F 30. When you drag the Hanging Indent marker, the Left Indent marker moves with it.
T F 31. Each time you press the CTRL key, Word carries forward the paragraph formatting
from the previous paragraph to the next paragraph.
T F 32. Word’s AutoCorrect entries contain some commonly used symbols, such as a
smiling face and a double arrow.
T F 33. By clicking a hyperlink in a document window while pressing the ALT key, you
jump to another document on your computer, on your network, or on the World
T F 34. In Word, a hyperlink can be created simply by typing the address of the file or Web
page to be linked and then pressing the SPACEBAR or the ENTER key.
T F 35. To create a hyperlink to a Web page from a Word document, you must be connected
to the Internet.
T F 36. The MLA style requires that the works cited be listed in alphabetical order by the
first character in each work.
Page 8 of 11 Project 2: Creating a Research Paper
T F 37. In the Sort Text dialog box, the default sort order is descending.
T F 38. Ascending sort order means sorting from the end of the alphabet to the beginning of
the alphabet, the largest number to the smallest number, or the most recent date to
the earliest date.
T F 39. Depending on the icon you click on the Select Browse Object menu, the function of
the buttons above and below the Select Browse Object button on the vertical scroll
T F 40. To move text, you first select the text to be moved and then use drag-and-drop
editing or the cut-and-paste technique to move the selected text.
T F 41. If you accidentally drag selected text to the wrong location, you can click the Redo
button on the Standard toolbar to return the text to its original location.
T F 42. To display a smart tag button, you point to the smart tag indicator.
T F 43. Clicking a smart tab button displays a menu that contains commands relative to the
action performed at the location of the smart tag.
T F 44. You can display the thesaurus in the Reference task pane by clicking Thesaurus on
the Synonyms submenu that displays when you right-click a word for which you
want to display a synonym.
T F 45. To prevent Word from flagging proper names as errors, you can add the names to
the custom dictionary.
T F 46. If you have multiple custom dictionaries, you can specify which one Word should
use when checking spelling.
T F 47. When you hold down the CTRL key and click a hyperlink in a document, if you
currently are not connected to the Web Word connects you using your default
T F 48. To send a Word document as an attachment to an e-mail message, click File on the
menu bar, point to Send To, and then click Mail Recipient (as Attachment).
T F 49. From within Word, you can search through various forms of online reference
T F 50. While plagiarism is unethical, it is not considered an academic crime.
Word 2003 Page 9 of 11
1. The MLA style uses in-text _________________________ instead of noting each source at
the bottom of the page or at the end of the paper.
2. The MLA style uses the term _________________________ for the bibliographical
3. _________________________ is the amount of vertical space between lines of text in a
4. The MLA documentation style requires that you _________________________ the entire
paper; that is, one blank line should display between each line of text.
5. A(n) _________________________ is text printed at the top of each page in a document.
Note: If you are preparing an examination using your own word processor, for
Completion questions 6 through 8 you must use the Picture command on the Insert
menu to insert Figure WD04.bmp. The figure is referenced when students answer
the questions. When the Insert Picture dialog box displays, select Figure WD04.bmp
from the Word subfolder in the Printed Test Bank folder in the Test Bank & Test
Engine menu item and make sure the Link to File check box is not checked.
6. It is possible to _________________________, or attach, a floating toolbar (such as the
Header and Footer toolbar in the accompanying figure) above or below the Standard and
Formatting toolbars by double-clicking the floating toolbar’s title bar.
7. As shown in the accompanying figure, when the Header and Footer command on the View
menu is clicked, Word automatically switches to _________________________, which
displays the document exactly as it will print.
8. In print layout view, as shown in the accompanying figure, _________________________
can be used to format and enter text, graphics, and other items.
9. To save typing, the ENTER key can be pressed while a(n) _________________________
displays, which instructs Word to place the entire text of the tip at the location of the
10. When fingers are already on the keyboard, it often is more efficient to use
_________________________, or keyboard key combinations, to format text as it is typed.
11. Word can be instructed to indent the first line of a paragraph, called
_________________________, using the horizontal ruler.
Page 10 of 11 Project 2: Creating a Research Paper
12. The _________________________ is the top triangle at the 0" mark on the horizontal
13. The small square at the 0" mark on the horizontal ruler is the
_________________________, which can be used to change the entire left margin.
14. Word provides a(n) _________________________ feature that automatically corrects
some typing, spelling, capitalization, or grammar errors as they are typed in a document.
15. When clicked, the _________________________ displays a menu that allows a correction
to be undone or changes how Word handles future automatic corrections of this type.
16. Word automatically numbers notes sequentially by placing a(n)
_________________________ in the body of the document and in front of the note text.
17. A(n) _________________________ is a named group of formatting characteristics that can
be applied to text.
18. The base style for a new Word document is the _________________________, which for
new installation of Word 2003 most likely uses 12-point Times New Roman font for
characters and single-spaced, left-aligned paragraphs.
19. As documents that exceed one page are typed, Word automatically inserts page breaks,
called _________________________, when it determines the text has filled one page
according to paper size, margin settings, line spacing, and other settings.
20. Because page repagination is performed between keystrokes, Word refers to the automatic
page break task as _________________________.
21. Because the works cited are to display on a separate numbered page, a(n)
_________________________ must be inserted at a specific location following the body of
a research paper.
22. A(n) _________________________ is a type of paragraph formatting in which the first
line extends to the left of the rest of the paragraph.
23. The _________________________ is the bottom triangle at the 0" mark on the horizontal
24. In addition to many commonly misspelled words, Word’s built-in list of
_________________________ also contains some commonly used symbols, such as
when :) is typed.
Word 2003 Page 11 of 11
25. A(n) _________________________ is a shortcut that allows a user to jump to another
location in the same document or to other documents or Web pages.
26. _________________________ is the process of following a hyperlink to its destination.
27. In Word, paragraphs can be arranged in alphabetic, numeric, or date order based on the first
character in each paragraph in a manner called _________________________.
28. _________________________ means sorting from the end of the alphabet to the beginning
of the alphabet, the largest number to the smallest number, or the most recent date to the
29. While _________________________, you review a document to look for grammatical
errors and spelling errors.
30. With _________________________, the selected item is dragged to the new location and
then inserted, or dropped, there.
31. The _________________________ is a temporary Windows storage area.
32. _________________________ is the process of copying an item from the Clipboard into
the document at the location of the insertion point.
33. If you click the _________________________ that displays when you drag and drop text, a
menu displays that allows you to change the format of the text that was moved.
34. A(n) _________________________ is a button that automatically appears on the screen
when Word performs a certain action.
35. A(n) _________________________ is a book of synonyms.