by Mere Widecan
• Recognize the risks and behaviors that
occur with alcohol consumption
• Name 3 detrimental effects of alcohol
consumption (Physical or Mental)
• Define binge drinking
• List negative consequences to alcohol
consumption (Trouble With Law
Enforcement or Social)
• How old do you have to be to legally
• Can consuming alcohol on one occasion
• What is binge drinking?
Is alcoholism a disease?
• Yes, alcoholism is a disease. The craving that
an alcoholic feels for alcohol can be as strong
as the need for food or water. An alcoholic will
continue to drink despite serious family,
health, or legal problems.
• There are 100,000 deaths each year in the
U.S. due to alcoholism.
• Drinking alcoholic beverages with the
primary intention of becoming intoxicated
by heavy consumption of alcohol over a
short period of time.
• About 90% of the alcohol consumed by
youth under the age of 21 in the United
States is in the form of binge drinks.
How Alcohol Harms Your Body
• The heart can be affected by the vitamin
deficiencies caused by a neglected diet. The
pumping action of the heart is weakened.
Heart failure can result from this.
• Alcohol contains sugar and other
carbohydrates and so it is a form of energy.
Heavy drinking can cause a serious weight
problem due to alcohol's high carbohydrate
• Long term drinking may result in permanent
brain damage, serious mental disorders and
addiction to alcohol.
• Consequence of consuming large
amounts of alcohol in a short period of
• Drinking too much too quickly can affect
your breathing, heart rate and gag reflex
and potentially lead to coma and death.
• You can go to Alcoholics Anonymous
• You can go to a rehab center
• The first step to treatment is admitting that
you have a problem
• There were 11,773 drunk driving deaths in
• 2008 showed a 9.7% decrease from 2007
in alcohol-impaired driving deaths.
• Drunk driving deaths (11,773) accounted
for 32% of the total amount of United
States car accident deaths (37,261) in
It’s the law
• The legal drinking age in the United
States: you must be 21 years of age or
older to legally consume alcohol.