Docstoc

Print Presentation Lut - DOC

Document Sample
Print Presentation Lut - DOC Powered By Docstoc
					                                  MINUTES
MINUTES:                          DICOM STANDARDS COMMITTEE

PLACE OF MEETING:                 AUSTRIA CENTER VIENNA
                                  VIENNA, AUSTRIA

DATES AND TIMES:             WEDNESDAY, MARCH 10, 1999
                                 2:00 P.M.

                                  THURSDAY, MARCH 11, 1999
                                  9:00 A.M.

MEMBERS PRESENT

VENDORS

David Best                        Eastman Kodak
Geert Clays*                      AGFA
David Clunie                      Quintiles Intelligent Imaging Technologies
Tim Cramer                        Picker International, Inc.
E. Crits (Proxy)+                 AGFA
Harry Garland                     Canon Research Center America
David Heaney                      ALI Technologies
Kazuhiro Hishinuma (Proxy)        Fuji
Janet Keyes                       LORAD
Eitaro Nishihara*                 Toshiba Medical Systems
Charles Parisot                   GE Medical Systems
Dwight Simon                      Merge Technologies Inc.
Kees Smedema                      Philips Medical Systems
Tim Stevener (Proxy)              InfiMed
Rainer Waedlich                   IFA Systems Group
Nikolaus Wirsz                    Siemens Medical Systems




                                                      DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                      Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                               Systems Division (09)
                                   293                           March 10 - 11, 1999
USERS

Dean Bidgood                                  American College of Radiology
Joel Chabriais                                Societe Francaise de Radiologie
Lloyd Hildebrand                              American Academy of Ophthalmology
Steven Horii                                  American College of Radiology
Alan Rowberg                                  American College of Radiology
Ruediger Simon                                European Society of Cardiology

GENERAL INTEREST

Isao Ohbayashi                                JIRA

MEMBERS ABSENT

VENDORS

Krishna Anedath                               Konica Medical Imaging
Alvin Belden                                  Shared Medical Systems Corp.#
Wayne DeJarnette                              DeJarnette Research Systems#
Keith Klassy                                  Camtronics Medical Systems
Ed Schieffer                                  Sterling Diagnostic Imaging#
Doug Sluis                                    ATL, Inc.
Todd Treiber                                  StorCOMM, Inc.#
John Vengroski                                Nikon

# Do not count toward the quorum at meeting

USERS

Ulysses Balis                                 College of American Pathologists
Michel Berg                                   American Academy of Neurology
Brent Dove                                    America Dental Association
Nwenna Gates                                  American College of Cardiology#
Louis Korman                                  American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Eric Menn                                     American Academy of Dermatology
Johan HC Reiber                               European Society of Cardiology

#Do not count toward the quorum at meeting


                                                                 DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                 Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                          Systems Division (09)
                                               294                          March 10 - 11, 1999
GENERAL INTEREST

Robert Britain                             NEMA
Sun Kim                                    Korean PACS Standard Committee
Curtis Langlotz                            National Cancer Institute
Loren Zaremba                              Food and Drug Administration
Jennifer Zelmer                            Canadian Institute for Health Informatics#

# Do not count toward a quorum at the meeting

OTHERS PRESENT

Michel Amiel+                              Societe Francaise de Radiologie
Nicholas Brown                             CEN/TC251/WGIV & ISO/TC215/WG2
Emmanvel Cordonnier                        ETIAM
E. Crits*                                  AGFA
Jay Gaeta*                                 Merge Technologies, Inc.
Yves Gandon*                               Societe Francaise de Radiologie
Herman Oosterwijk*                         OTech, Inc.
Olaug Rad                                  National Hospital, Un. of Oslo
Kathleen Rattell                           Booze-Allen & Hamilton
Claudia Wente                              IFA Systems Group
Sebashan Wente                             Fidus Systems/Arztservice
Jet van Leent                              NNI/Eurodicom Secretariat
David Snavely                              NEMA Staff/DICOM Comte. Secretary

* Attended Wednesday only + Attended Thursday only

PRESIDING OFFICERS:                        DR. LLOYD HILDEBRAND AND
                                           MR. DAVID BEST, CO-CHAIRMEN

1.     APPROVAL OF PREVIOUS MINUTES

       The minutes of the DICOM Standards Committee meeting held December 3, 1998 were
reviewed. Under Working Group 4, first paragraph, fifth line, “wavelet” was misspelled and
“VCQ” should have been “TCQ.” The minutes were then approved as amended.

2.     ELECTION OF NEW MEMBERS

                                                               DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                               Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                        Systems Division (09)
                                                295                       March 10 - 11, 1999
       There were no applications for membership on the DICOM Standards Committee.




3.     REQUESTS TO BE ON WORKING GROUPS

       There were two requests to be on working groups and have official voting status. The
requests were from Mike DiMascio of Panasonic to be on WG 5 and Dr. Ing. Markus Lang of
MeVis - Center for Medical Diagnostic Systems and Visualization in Germany to be on WG 4.
Both requests were approved.

4.     PROPOSED NEW WORK ITEMS

        No formal written proposals were submitted for new work items. However, WG 6 did have
two new work items in the WG 6 report which did not contain all the information that is to be
provided with a new work item request. The work items were Image Storage Notification and
Interpretation Worklist. It was pointed out that WG 8 is also involved in Interpretation Worklist.
There was no objection to WG 6 proceeding on these but WG 6 was requested to put the requests in
the proper format and provide the information required for a work item approval request and submit
them at the next DICOM Standards Committee meeting. The DICOM, Standards Committee
members also had no objection to retiring the OSI Stack from Part 8.

5.     PROPOSED NEW WORKING GROUP

        Members discussed a written proposal by David Clunie to establish a new working group
on Clinical Trials (Exhibit A). This working group would be composed of groups such as major
research institutions, contract research organizations, and regulatory authorities. ACR was proposed
as a likely candidate for the Secretariat. The motion was made and passed to approve a working
group on Clinical Trials if ACR agrees to serve as the Secretariat.

6.     REPORTS FROM THE WORKING GROUPS

       WORKING GROUP 1 (CARDIAC AND VASCULAR INFORMATION)

        No written report was submitted. In the absence of the Co-Chairmen, Ruediger Simon gave
the report. The draft Waveform Supplement has been finalized for ballot and will be submitted to
WG 6. Drafts are underway on IVUS and Structured Reporting. Draft documents produced on
Structured reporting included Notes for Specialization of Structured Reporting for Cardiac Cath,
Structured Reporting: DICOM Requirement Specifications for Cardiology, and Structured
Reporting - Hemodynamics Requirements Specifications.

                                                                   DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                   Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                            Systems Division (09)
                                               296                            March 10 - 11, 1999
       WORKING GROUP 2 (DIGITAL X RAY)

       No written report was submitted. In the absence of the WG 2 Chairman, David Clunie
reported that they are inactive and should be reported as such after confirming with the Chairman.



       WORKING GROUP 3 (NUCLEAR MEDICINE)

         Jeff Pohlhammer, Chairman of WG 3 submitted a written report (Exhibit B) which was e-
mailed to members before the meeting. There was little activity and it was suggested WG 3 be
listed as inactive after confirming with the Chairman.

       WORKING GROUP 4 (COMPRESSION)

        Alan Rowberg, Chairman of WG 4, distributed a written report (Exhibit C). He reported
that Tamim Hamid had resigned as Chairman of WG 4 and that he was elected as the new
Chairman, subject to a letter ballot because of a lack of a quorum during the January 15, 1999
teleconference of WG 4. Kathleen Rattell who attend the last meeting of the JPEG 2000 Committee
in Los Angeles gave an update. She stated that several members of the US Group are interested in
images. Steven Horii has volunteered to get a panel of expert radiologist who would read the
images which were compressed with the wavelet transform algorithm and then decompressed and
compare to the original images. Both David Clunie representing ACR and DICOM and Kathleen
Rattell will attend the JPEG 2000 meeting in Seoul Korea on March 15 - 19, 1999.

        David Heaney reported that WG 12 (Ultrasound) is only interested in MPEG but has not
started any work yet. The single point of contact for MPEG in the DICOM Standards Committee is
Alan Rowberg.

       WORKING GROUP 5 (EXCHANGE MEDIA)

        David Clunie, Chairman of WG 5, prepared a written report (Exhibit D) which was e-
mailed to members. He reported that WG 5 is considering DVD as a exchange medium but it is not
clear yet which DVD is going to be stable. Supplement 40 - DVD Media Using UDF is out for
public comment.

       WORKING GROUP 6 (BASE STANDARD)

        Don Van Syckle, Chairman of WG 6, prepared a written report (Exhibit E) which was
distributed at the meeting. In the absence of the Chairman, Dwight Simon read the report. Members
discussed when the DICOM Standard should be republished. The motion was made and passed that

                                                                 DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                 Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                          Systems Division (09)
                                              297                           March 10 - 11, 1999
WG 6 should publish the 1999 edition by approximately the third quarter. Members also requested
a report from NEMA at the next meeting on the effect on sales by putting the final draft on the Web
for free down loading.

       David Clunie provided a demonstration of the CD containing the DICOM Standard that
Global Engineering has produced and is about to release.




       WORKING GROUP 7 (RADIOTHERAPY)

       No written report was submitted. In the absence of the WG 7 Chairman, David Clunie
provided a short report. Final text of Supplement 29 - Radiotherapy Treatment Records and
Radiotherapy Media Extensions will be reviewed by WG 6 at their March meeting. They will then
probably become inactive. This should be confirmed with the Chairman.

       WORKING GROUP 8 (STRUCTURED REPORTING)

       Dean Bidgood, Chairman of WG 8, prepared a written report (Exhibit F) which was e-
mailed before the meeting. He reported that many WGs are using SR including WG 1, WG 6, WG
9, WG 12, WG 15, and WG 16. A subcommittee of SR modelers have met and produced the
concept-representation model requested by WG 6. A number of organizations have implemented
SR including an electrocardiogram company, the University of California at San Francisco,
Oldenburg University, and a PACS vendor. Some US vendors have prototypes of Supplement 23 in
XML.

      Dean Bidgood reported that Supplement 46 built bottom up parts of Supplement 23. Neither
Supplement 23 or Supplement 46 have been approved for letter ballot at this time.

       WORKING GROUP 9 (OPHTHALMOLOGY)

       No written report was submitted. Lloyd Hildebrand, Chairman of WG 9, reported that WG
9 has not meet since the last DICOM Standards Committee meeting. Their next meeting is in April.

       WORKING GROUP 10 (STRATEGIC ADVISORY)

        Kees Smedema and Dean Bidgood, Co-Chairman of WG 10, presented the report on the
WG 10 meeting held March 9 and 10, 1999 (Exhibit G). Reinmar Killman gave a presentation on
security issues and how they affected DICOM. WG 10 made two recommendations to WG 14:
investigate access rights and investigate confidentiality issues with respect to media. WG 10


                                                                  DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                  Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                           Systems Division (09)
                                               298                           March 10 - 11, 1999
recommended that if there is a demonstration at RSNA on Digital Signatures then a workshop at
RSNA is needed on how users understand workflow.

        It was reported that the German Association of Radiology will have a meeting in June on
Security. Melvin Reynolds, the new Chairman of CEN 251 WGIV reviewed the reorganization of
the CEN 251 working groups and where CEN 251 is going. He stated that WG IV will not be
developing a European Standard to compete with DICOM as they recognize that DICOM is the
international standard.

        Emmanvel Cordonnier gave a presentation on DICOM and the Web. He stated that with
DICOM the model is the message and that DICOM is broader than radiology. DICOM needs to
position itself on internet issues but it needs to remain focused on imaging.

         Members of WG 10 also discussed the collaboration of HL7 and DICOM. In order to
facilitate this collaboration it was suggested that a joint working group be formed which would
stress international participation, co-locate meetings alternately with HL7 and DICOM and would
have TC status in HL7 and working group status in DICOM. This working group would facilitate
the objectives of IHE and provide an orderly process to deliver the needed standards. As an action
item members of the DICOM Standards Committee suggested that a joint working group be
proposed to HL7 in the form of a letter from the DICOM Standards Committee Co-Chairmen. The
formation of the joint working group would be composed of a DICOM WG and an HL7 TC which
would do technical work.

It was proposed that the Co-Chairs write the HL7 Board to propose such a group. One of the
DICOM Co-Chairs would serve as a Co-convenor.

       The motion was made and passed that a letter be sent to HL7 to explore the possibility of a
joint WG which would be open to HL7 and DICOM members and other interested parties with a
scope of image related informatics. The letter would be signed by the DICOM Standards
Committee Co-Chairmen.

        While no work has been done on the Strategic Plan for DICOM it was pointed out that this
is one of the main reasons for WG 10 existence.

       WORKING GROUP 11 (DISPLAY FUNCTION STANDARD)

        Thurman Gillespy, Chairman of WG 11, prepared a written report (Exhibit H) which was
e-mailed to members before the meeting. In the absence of the Chairman, David Clunie gave a
short report. Supplement 33 - Soft Copy Presentation Storage was demonstrated at the ECR and
was an impressive demonstration. WG 11 would like to demonstrate Supplement 33 at RSNA „99
but would add print. An RFP has been developed. Donations of monitors for the demonstration will
be accepted.

                                                                 DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                 Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                          Systems Division (09)
                                              299                           March 10 - 11, 1999
       WORKING GROUP 12 (ULTRASOUND)

         David Heaney, Chairman of WG 12, prepared a written report (Exhibit I) which was e-
mailed to members before the meeting. He reported that WG 12 accepts Structured Reporting but
does have questions on Supplement 46. There are also questions on how to integrate SR into the
ISUS work flow model. The IVUS Standard is being developed by WG 1 and WG 12 hopes to
assist in its development. MPEG is a wok item for WG 12 but no encoding has been started.




       WORKING GROUP 13 (VISIBLE LIGHT)

        No written report was submitted. Lloyd Hildebrand, Co-Chairman of WG 13 reported that
the working group has not met as a group but that Louis Korman sent a letter to WG 6 thanking
them for getting Supplement 15 - Visible Light ready for ballot. Single frame was pulled out of the
Supplement and has been submitted to WG 6 with the recommendation that it go out for letter
ballot.

       WORKING GROUP 14 (SECURITY)

       Lawrence Tarbox, Chairman of WG 14 (Security), prepared a written report (Exhibit J). In
the absence of the Chairman, David Clunie reported that Supplement 31 - Security Enhancements
One is going out for letter ballot pending approval by the WG 6 Chairman. The RFP for a
demonstration of Supplement 41 - Security Enhancements Two - Digital Signatures at RSNA „99 is
on the NEMA server. The working group also discussed briefly the potential of using UDF-based
media in a secure file system.

       WORKING GROUP 15 (DIGITAL MAMMOGRAPHY)

       David Clunie, Co-Chairman of WG 15, prepared a written report (Exhibit K) which was e-
mailed before the meeting. He reported there has been no activity of WG 15 since the last DICOM
Standards Committee meeting.

       WORKING GROUP 16 (MAGNETIC RESONANCE)

        Matthias Drobnitzky, Chairman of WG 16, prepared a written report (Exhibit L) which was
distributed at the meeting. In the absence of the Chairman, Nikolaus Wirsz gave the report.

                                                                  DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                  Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                           Systems Division (09)
                                               300                           March 10 - 11, 1999
Members of the DICOM Standards Committee suggested that WG 16 attempt to get more users to
the meetings. It was also suggested that the Secretariat be changed from NEMA to the DICOM
European Secretariat.

        WORKING GROUP 17 (3D)

        No written report was received. In the absence of the Chairman, Nicholas Brown provided a
short report (Exhibit M). WG 17 meet during the SPIE meeting at which time they discussed what
the group should consider. They decided to record results not process. Also, they are looking
toward an N dimension.

7.      STAFF REPORT

       Staff reported that 21 ballots had been received as of 3/5/99 for Ballot No. 30 - Election of
Steven Horii to serve as a at large member of the DICOM Executive Committee. The ballot expires
March 11, 1999.

     Staff also reported on items which will be put on the ftp site to aid in the communication of
DICOM Standards Committee activities. These were:

    Calendar of meetings
    DICOM Committee and WG rosters
    Meeting announcements
    Meeting minutes
    Listing of WGs with Secretariat, Secretary, Chairman, Scope, and Work Items
    Application form for membership

Members had no problems with this but suggested that e-mail addresses be given with the listings
of the working groups and that the minutes be put on in pdf.

8.      UPDATE ON ISO/TC215

        David Clunie reported that the ISO/TC215 Ad Hoc group which was charged to identify the
need for a biomedical imaging working group recommended that a biomedical imaging group not
be formed. It was also charged to determine DICOM participation in TC215. A letter from ISO was
sent to the Secretary of the DICOM Standards Committee expressing the wish of ISO/TC215 to
establish a category A liaison with the DICOM Standards Committee. The motion was made and
passed to accept the offer for a liaison with Hidenori Shinoda, Charles Parisot, and David Best as
the DICOM liaison representatives.

9.      INTEGRATING THE HEALTHCARE ENTERPRISE (IHE)

                                                                   DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                   Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                            Systems Division (09)
                                               301                            March 10 - 11, 1999
         Charles Parisot reported on the IHE project which is being driven by RSNA. It is a
combined project of RSNA and HIMSS and is expected to go for 5 years. It is open to all
companies but 13 companies are involved in the planning. For year one the scope is radiology but it
will expand. The project uses existing standards which at present are DICOM and HL7. A motion
was made and passed that the DICOM Standards Committee send a letter of cooperation and
support to John Page and Delmar Stauffer with a cc to HL7 (George Beeler). Kees Smedema agreed
to draft the letter and Dave Best and Lloyd Hildebrand will review it. It should also be reviewed by
NEMA Counsel.

10.    PROPOSAL BY SCAR

       SCAR has suggested to industry that SCAR create on their Web site a “clearinghouse” for
DICOM interface experience. The general feeling of the vendors at the meeting was that this would
not work or help. It was proposed that successes be reported and that failures be reported to the
vendors and when the problem is resolved the resolution be reported. Another suggestion was for
SCAR to provide a repository of DICOM images for cross testing. It was suggested that members
e-mail Steven Horii comments and that he report back at the next meeting.

11.    DICOM LOGO

       Alan Rowberg presented some examples of DICOM logo. There were none that members
could decide on and it was decided that the first step was to describe what was needed in the logo.
Steven Horii and Lloyd Hildebrand agreed to draft such a description for review at the next
meeting.

12.    ANSI HEALTHCARE INFORMATICS STANDARDS BOARD (HISB)

       Members recommended that NEMA not renew membership on the ANSI Healthcare
Informatics Standards Board. Also, it was agreed to put on the agenda for the next meeting whether
the DICOM Standards Committee should continue to apply for ANSI accreditation.

13.    NEW BUSINESS

       A. ADMINISTRATION OF DEMONSTRATIONS

        The MII Committee for the Advancement of DICOM provides the administrative services
for many of the DICOM demonstrations while the WGs provide the technical input. It was pointed
out that this process is not working well at present because it is difficult to get the Committee for
the Advancement of DICOM to meet. The Chairman of the Committee for the Advancement of
DICOM was requested to determine what could be done to fix this problem and to report back to
the DICOM Standards Committee. If it can not be fixed it was suggested that the DICOM
Standards Committee take over this function. However, this would require a change in the scope of

                                                                   DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                   Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                            Systems Division (09)
                                                302                           March 10 - 11, 1999
the DICOM Standards Committee and approval by the NEMA Diagnostic Imaging and Therapy
Systems Division.

         B. DICOM FTP SITE

        Members discussed the status of the NEMA ftp site. The site has been down on weekends
and after work hours and at times for extended periods. A dependable ftp site is essential to the
work of the DICOM Standards Committee and the working groups and it is apparent at this time
that NEMA is not able to provide this service. Consequently, it was moved and approved that the
DICOM Standards Committee accept the offer from the University of Oklahoma for server capacity
for the DICOM ftp site. A Task Force to implement the new DICOM ftp site composed of Lloyd
Hildebrand, David Clunie, Dwight Simon, Dean Bidgood, Charles Parisot, Kees Smedema, Vicki
Schofield, and David Snavely was appointed.

         C. FINANCING THE EUROPEAN DICOM SECRETARIAT

       Kees Smedema stated that COCIR is still financing the European DICOM Secretariat. He
has had discussions with NEMA about NEMA partly financing this activity.


         D. ECR HOSTING OF DICOM ACTIVITIES

         A motion was made and passed to send a letter of thanks to ECR for hosting the DICOM
activities during the ECR meeting. The letter will be sent to the ECR Chairman from the Co-
Chairman of the DICOM Standards Committee. Also, thanks was expressed to Kees Smedema for
his help in coordinating the DICOM activities at ECR.

14.      AGENDA ITEMS FOR THE NEXT MEETING

     Appointment of nominating committee for vendor co-chair
     Report of European and Japanese activities
     Discussion of financial support for the European DICOM Secretariat
     ANSI accreditation of the DICOM Standards Committee
     Report on TC215
     Report from DICOM ftp Task Force
     IHE report
     Report from the MII Committee for the Advancement of DICOM
     SCAR activity on DICOM interface experience

15.      TIME AND PLACE OF NEXT MEETING


                                                                  DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                  Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                           Systems Division (09)
                                                303                          March 10 - 11, 1999
       The next meeting of the DICOM Standards Committee is planned for Wednesday, June 16,
1999, 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. and Thursday, June 17, 1999, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. at NEMA
Headquarters in Rosslyn, Virginia. Following meetings are planned for Friday, September 27, 1999,
9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. in San Francisco and December 2, 1999, 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. in conjunction
with the RSNA meeting in Chicago. Meetings in 2000 are planned in April in Kobe, Japan in
conjunction with JMCP, in June in Rosslyn, Virginia at NEMA Headquarters, in September in
Europe, and in December in Chicago in conjunction with the RSNA meeting.

16.    ADJOURNMENT

        The meeting was adjourned at 5:20 p.m. on Wednesday and at 3:50 p.m. on Thursday after
a recess for lunch between 12:40 p.m. and 1:30 p.m.

REPORTED BY:                                DAVID SNAVELY
                                            SECRETARY, DICOM STANDARDS COMTE.
                                            (3/24/99)




Attachments: Exhibit A - Proposal to establish a DICOM Working Group
             Exhibit B - Working Group 3 Report (Nuclear Medicine)
             Exhibit C - Working Group 4 Report (Compression)
             Exhibit D - Working Group 5 (Exchange Media)
             Exhibit E - Working Group 6 (Base Standard)
             Exhibit F - Working Group 8 (Structured Reporting)
             Exhibit G - Working Group 10 (Strategic Advisory)
             Exhibit H - Working Group 11 (Display Function Standard)
             Exhibit I - Working Group 12 (Ultrasound)
             Exhibit J - Working Group 14 (Security)
             Exhibit K - Working Group 15 (Digital Mammography)
             Exhibit L - Working Group 16 (Magnetic Resonance)
             Exhibit M - Working Group 17 (3D)

REVIEWED BY COUNSEL




                                                                 DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                 Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                          Systems Division (09)
                                              304                           March 10 - 11, 1999
Date:         3/5/99
Sender:dclunie@idt.net
Subject:      For DICOM Committee - Proposal to establish a DICOM Working

Background.

Clinical trials are performed for both academic and commercial reasons, including regulatory submissions for devices and drugs. These trials often
involve collaboration by multiple sites and investigators as well as the submission of results and supporting
data in electronic form. The source material and results include images as well as other forms of data, often in a highly structured form. Medical
images are increasingly important as a source of surrogate endpoints for efficacy and safety in the case of drugs and other interventional agents and
devices, as well as being the primary material for the evaluation of imaging devices.

Though the existing DICOM standard adequately supports the storage of images, for clinical trial applications there is additional information that is
often necessary.

A Working Group on Clinical Trials would bring together those with an interest in the field, promote uniformity of encoding between different
institutions, contract research organizations and regulatory authorities, and provide an opportunity to feedback requirements of a new group of
applications into the base standard.

In particular, the proposed group would likely find recent developments in the standard such as structured reporting and digital signatures of interest.


Membership.

Like all DICOM Working Groups, membership and meetings are open to all, but it is likely that members would include:

- major research institutions
- clinical trials specialists from professional societies
- regulatory agencies (e.g. FDA)
                                                                    DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                    Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                             Systems Division (09)
                                                            293                March 10 - 11, 1999
- government sponsored research organizations (e.g. NIH, NCI)
- contract research organizations (CROs)

Secretariat.

TBD. Unlikely to be NEMA. Suggest a professional society (ACR ?)

Proposed Work Items

- use of DICOM image objects for clinical trials data
- obscuration of identification and encoding of randomization information
- digital signatures for electronic regulatory submissions
- structured storage of electronic case report forms
- structured encoding of protocols
- media interchange profiles for regulatory submissions

Proposed Meeting Schedule

One or two day meetings quarterly until specific work items approved and begun. Meetings to be held mostly in Washington until interest shown by
European and Asian regulatory agencies, institutions and CROs.




                                                                  DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                  Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                           Systems Division (09)
                                                      294                    March 10 - 11, 1999
Subject:      WG3 report
Author:       <jeffp@nm.picker.com (Jeff Pohlhammer)>
Date:         3/5/99 1:54 PM

WG3 Status Report
Jeff Pohlhammer - Chairman

The committee has representation from the following companies:
ADAC
CTI
GE
Picker
Siemens
SMV

WG3 met in Chicago during the RSNA '98 convention. There were two main
purposes for the meeting.

1) Review of comments received in response to a survey that was sent to
DICOM users and developers. The survey was developed to try to find
out if people were having problems with the NM IOD. However, most of
the comments that were received were about DICOM in general (especially
conformance issues) and had little or nothing to do with the NM IOD
specifically. These comments were forwarded to Don VanSyckle.

There were a few comments that did pertain to the NM IOD. Of these, four
were considered to be candidates for a future Change Proposal. These were
also forwarded to Don VanSyckle for comment.

                                                                 DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                 Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                          Systems Division (09)
                                                     295                    March 10 - 11, 1999
I will issue a formal Change Proposal for these in the near future.

2) Discussions continued on the topic of developing a PET raw data IOD.
Phil Vernon and I presented an example of a PET Raw Data IOD based on
the existing NM IOD. Each member was to review the proposal at their
respective companies and return comments. We are waiting for members to
respond before proceeding with further discussions.

We have nothing to present at this time, and we are not waiting on any other
committee action at this time.

Sincerely,
Jeff Pohlhammer




                                                                      DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                      Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                               Systems Division (09)
                                                        296                      March 10 - 11, 1999
Working Group 4 (Compression) Report
10 March 1999
Alan Rowberg, Chair

Working Group 4 (Compression) held a teleconference on January 15, 1999

Tamim Hamid has announced that he is resigning from the chairmanship of the committee. The group officially thanked him for his contribution
to the WG, and for attending the several JPEG 2000 meetings, including significant international travel.

Alan Rowberg was elected as the new Chair, subject to a letter ballot because of the lack of a quorum. Kathleen Rattell provided the following
report on the current status of JPEG2000.

In November 1997, a wavelet transform algorithm was chosen at the Sydney, Australia meeting as the basis for JPEG2000. The algorithm and
supporting software was instantiated as a Verification Model (VM) in March, 1998 and is currently in it‟s fourth round of core experiments.
These experiments are designed to enhance the overall performance of JPEG2000. The JPEG meeting held in Los Angeles in November 1998,
produced a second VM that includes transform capabilities that were not present in the current VM and could not readily be incorporated. Based
on the current round of experiments to be completed by the March, 1999 meeting in Seoul, One VM will be chosen as the continuing model.

In addition, the first draft of the standard based on the previously approved outline, will be available after the Seoul meeting. An Integration sub-
group was formed in Los Angeles to ensure that the standard proceeds in a timely manner and that all functionality and requirements are
included. It is still anticipated that JPEG2000 will indeed be available in 2000. WG 4 members have been given access to the private JPEG
2000 site.

The next meeting of JPEG 2000 is in Seoul Korea March 15-19. Kathleen Rattell will be attending all week and David Clunie has agreed to
attend Tuesday and Wednesday. He will review the importance of compression in medical imaging, and underscore the need to process medical
images with the proposed algorithms.

The next meeting of Work Group 4 will be by teleconference March 29, 1999

                                                                   DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                   Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                            Systems Division (09)
                                                       297                    March 10 - 11, 1999
Subject:  DICOM WG 5 (Interchange Media) - Report for DICOM Committee
Author:   <dclunie@idt.net>
Date:     2/20/99 2:18 PM
DICOM WG 5 (Interchange Media) - Report for DICOM Committee March 1999

WG 5 has prepared Supplement 40, DVD Media Using UDF, and with the approval of WG 6 has released it for public comment. The text is
available from:

ftp://ftp.nema.org/medical/dicom/supps/sup40_pc.pdf

This supplement describes a strategy for choosing a writeable form of DVD for use in DICOM by mid-1999, as well as the requirements for using
UDF and extensions to existing classes of media application profiles to support DVD.

There are no other work items on the agenda for WG 5 and WG 5 requests no action from the Committee at this time.

david

David A. Clunie                             mailto:dclunie@idt.net
Director, Medical Imaging Technologies      http://idt.net/~dclunie/
Quintiles Intelligent Imaging               http://www.i2image.com/
521 Plymouth Rd #115                        Work 610-238-0572 Fax -0578
Plymouth Meeting PA 19462                   Home 717-897-7123 Fax -5117




                                                                DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                         Systems Division (09)
                                                      298                  March 10 - 11, 1999
                                                DICOM WG 6 Status Report (Base Standard)
                                                           March 8, 1999
1.0       Scope of WG 6 - Base Standard Working Group

WG 6 is responsible for the overall consistency and maintenance of the DICOM standard. WG 6 provides technical guidance to all DICOM working groups
and serves as the technical coordination point. It also develops extensions (Supplements) to DICOM typically related to overall systems enhancements.
Some of responsibilities are as follows:

         Execute the DICOM Maintenance Process (Correction Proposals). This process is used to make “corrections and minor changes” to the current
          versions of the Standard. Any corrections made are processed using the normal Letter Ballot procedures as defined by NEMA.
         Provide technical coordination and guidance for all WGs. This includes review and official approval before the Public Comment, Letter Ballot, and
          Final Text draft releases of all Supplements.
         Develop Supplements to the standard related to Print, Image Management, etc.
         Coordinate joint development efforts with CEN, JIRA, and Medis DC.
         Coordination with NEMA for the publication of DICOM.

1.1 WG 6 Meetings Held

         January 1999

1.1 Specific Deliverables for 1998

 DICOM Maintenance Process

             Various Correction Proposal have been processed should expect new Letter Ballot in March 1999.

             Visit the NEMA web site for the Correction Proposal Log and details



                                                                       DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                       Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                                Systems Division (09)
                                                           299                    March 10 - 11, 1999
 Supplements Currently Being Developed by WG 6

          Supplement 35: Retiring Reference Print was approved for Final Text, waiting for publication.

          Supplement 38: New Basic Print Image Overlay Box SOP was approved for Final Text, waiting for publication.

          The DICOM committee has asked WG 6 to retire Part 9 of DICOM. As part of this, WG 6 is looking at other portions of the Standard and may
           make additional retirement recommendations after the March 1999 WG 6 meeting.

          See the attach document for supplement status information.



 Review and Approve Supplement from Other WGs (see individual reports for details)

          Supplement 29: RT Treatment Record IOD passed DICOM Letter Ballot, Final Text is expected in March 1999.

          Supplement 30: Security Enhancements One has passed Public Comment, Letter Ballot expected in March 1999.

          Supplement 40: UDF Media was approved for Public Comment.

          Supplement 15: Visible Light Image review and WG 6 recommended that this supplement be broken into two supplements, one for single frame
           objects and supplement 47 for multi-frame objects. The reason for this separation is that WG 6 feels the single frame objects are very solid and
           close to Letter Ballot, while the multi-frame object need more work from WG 6 and 13. The goal is to release Supplement 15 for Letter Ballot
           after the March meeting.

          Spent considerable time on Structure Reporting supplements 23 and 46. Considerable progress was made in coming to consensus on these
           documents and a joint meeting with WG 8 is planned for ECR.

          See the attach document for supplement status information.

                                                                     DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                     Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                              Systems Division (09)
                                                         300                    March 10 - 11, 1999
      Please see other WG reports for details.

         The Final Text of many supplements from other WGs and WG 6 will account for much of the agenda in March. Please don‟t forget, if the
          documents are not formatted using the new DICOM supplement template they will not be reviewed by WG 6 and a WG member must be present.

 DICOM Publication

         DICOM committee needs to decide if there should be a DICOM 1999 or wait until DICOM 2000

 Miscellaneous

         The Image Presentation Workshop was very successful as over 80 people participated. Special thanks to Vicki Schofield from NEMA and all of
          the presenters.

         During the last DICOM committee meeting, the joint RSNA/HIMSS Integrated Healthcare Enterprise (IHE) initiative was discussed. At this
          meeting it was stated the IHE wishes to establish a relationship with WG 6 in order provide feedback and suggestions to image management
          related features such as Modality Worklist, Modality Performed Procedure Step (MPPS), etc. This relationship was established.

 New Work Items

         WG 6 has been working in the image management area of DICOM since its creation with supplements such as Modality Worklist, Modality
          Performed Procedure Step, etc. In order to further integrate DICOM with PACS and Information Systems (such as being fostered by the IHE
          initiative, WG 6 sees the need to extend the image management areas in DICOM. In order to continue in this area, WG 6 request work items for
          two new areas:

             Image Storage Notification - The ability to successfully store images for safekeeping in products such as a PACS archive can be achieved
              via DICOM‟s Storage Commitment SOP Classes. However, the ability for such an archive to convey this information to other products on
              the network is not defined by DICOM. This feature is very desirable feature for products which need to understand “where and what images
              have been archived”. Examples are information systems and display stations. Both the VA and IHE support the goal for DICOM to provide
              this additional functionality.

                                                                   DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                   Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                            Systems Division (09)
                                                      301                     March 10 - 11, 1999
              Interpretation Worklist - The ability to manage images and related information after the modality has performed acquisition is important for
               the evolution of PACS management. Worklists beyond those already defined are needed to gather information need to successfully report on
               the data. These worklist could include information such as, what was scheduled, what was performed, the full set of images for reporting,
               information about related studies, reports, etc.


Respectfully submitted by:


Donald E. Van Syckle
Chairman, DICOM WG 6


                                            DICOM Supplement Status Overview - WG 6
                                                       January 27, 1999

The following table is a status overview of the various DICOM supplements and is formatted as
follows:

Column 1 - Supplement Number, Column 2 - Supplement Name, Column 3 - Parts Affected
Column 4 - Status of the supplement
           Preliminary (effort in progress, but no early draft)
           Early Draft
           Released for Public Comment , Public Comment Completed
           Frozen for Purpose of Trial Implementations (Frozen Draft)
           Released for Letter Ballot, Passed Letter Ballot
           Final Text Created (waiting for Publication)
           DICOM (date) - DICOM Standard where Supplement has been published. (Ex. DICOM 1996)
                                                                     DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                     Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                              Systems Division (09)
                                                        302                     March 10 - 11, 1999
Column 5 - Comments

NEMA Server Address - ftp.nema.org , http://www.nema.org

The format of the supplement names are as follows:      supNN_VV.doc          where:

    NN is the supplement number
    VV is the version number, ie:
            01 for draft number 1
            99 for draft number 99
            pc for public comment
            lb for letter ballot
            fz for frozen draft for trial use
            ft for final text

Donald E. Van Syckle
Chairman, DICOM Committee WG 6


Supplement   Supplement Name                 Parts        Status              Comments
#                                            Affected
0            Print Management Point-to-      13           DICOM 1995
             Point Communication Support
1            Media Storage and File Format   3,4,6,10     DICOM 1996
             For Media Interchange
2            Media Storage Application       2,11         DICOM 1996
             Profiles
3            Media Format and Physical       12           DICOM 1996
             Media Interchange
4            X-Ray Angiographic Image        3,4,6,11     DICOM 1996
             Objects and Media Storage
                                             DICOM Standards Committee,
                                             Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                      Systems Division (09)
                                     303                March 10 - 11, 1999
5            Ultrasound Application Profile   3,4,5,6,     DICOM 1996
             IOD and Transfer Syntax          11
             Extension
6            X-Ray Fluoroscopic Image         3,4,6        DICOM 1996
             Object
7            Nuclear Medicine Image Object    3,4,6        DICOM 1996
8            Storage Commitment Service       3,4,6        DICOM 1996
             Class
9            Multi-byte Character Set         2,3,4,5,     DICOM 1996
             Support                          6
10           Basic Worklist Management        3,4,6        DICOM 1996
             (Modality)
11           Radio Therapy IODs Phase 1       3,4,6        DICOM 1998
12           PET Image Object                 3,4,6        DICOM 1998
13           Queue Management                 3,4,6        DICOM 1998
             (Print Queue SOP Class)
14           Unknown Value Representation     2,5          DICOM 1998
15           Visible Light Image (Single      3,4,6        Frozen              Release for Letter Ballot
             Frame)                                        Draft               March 99
                                                                               - Multi-frame VL has been
                                                                               moved to supplement 47
16           PostScript Print Management      3,4,6        Canceled            Will document the
                                                                               “Postscript” specific
                                                                               extensions in a “white
                                                                               paper” which will reside on
                                                                               the DICOM home page.   The
                                                                               decision is not to
                                                                               standardize in DICOM.
Supplement   Supplement Name                   Parts        Status             Comments

                                              DICOM Standards Committee,
                                              Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                       Systems Division (09)
                                     304                 March 10 - 11, 1999
 #                                     Affected
17   Modality Performed Procedure      3,4,6        DICOM 1998
     Step SOP Class
18   Media Storage Application         11           DICOM 1998
     Profile for CT and MR Images
19   General Purpose CD-R              11           DICOM 1998
     Interchange Profile
20   X-ray Cardiac (1024) Media        11           DICOM 1998
     Application Profile
21   Nuclear Medicine Media            11           Canceled           Will be solved by using the
     Application Profile                                               General Purpose CD-R
                                                                       (Supplement 19).
22   Presentation LUT (Print)          3,4,6        DICOM 1998
23   Structured Reporting              3,4,6        Frozen             Continued to be frozen, see
                                                    Draft              supplement 46 for future
                                                                       evolution
24   Stored Print related SOP          3,4,6        DICOM 1998
     Classes
25   Ultrasound Application Profile    11           DICOM 1998
     Media Extensions
26   Ultrasound Application Profile    3,4,6        Preliminary
     Structured Interpretation
     Extension
27   Media Formats and Physical        12           DICOM 1998
     Media for Data Interchange
28   Grayscale Standard Display        14           DICOM 1998
     Function
29   RT Treatment Record IOD           3,4,6        Letter             Goal to Release for Final
                                                    Ballot             Text 1/99
                                                    10/98

                                      DICOM Standards Committee,
                                      Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                               Systems Division (09)
                                305              March 10 - 11, 1999
30           Wave form Interchange           3,4,6        Released           Goal to Release for Letter
                                                          for Public         Ballot mid 99.
                                                          Comment

Supplement   Supplement Name                Parts        Status              Comments
 #                                          Affected
31           Security Enhancements One      2,3,8,15     Released            Goal to Release for Letter
                                                         for Pubic           Ballot 3/99.
                                                         Comment
32           Digital X-Ray                  3,4,6        Final Text          Waiting for Publication
                                                         Completed
33           Soft Copy Presentation         3,4,6        Frozen              Draft for demonstration
             Storage                                     Draft for           purposes 3/99. Goal to
                                                         Demonstrati         Release for Letter Ballot
                                                         on                  mid 99.
34           Non-Preformatted Print         3,4,6        Canceled            Withdrawn by the champion
             Storage SOP Class                                               and consensus was obtained
                                                                             to cancel.
35           Retiring Referenced Print      3,4,6        Final Text          Waiting for Publication
                                                         Created
36           Codes and Controlled           3,4,6        Final Text          Waiting for Publication
             Terminology                                 Created
37           Printer Configuration SOP      3,4,6        Final Text          Waiting for Publication
             Class                                       Created
38           New Basic Image Overlay Box    3,4,6        Final Text          Waiting for Publication
             SOP Class                                   Created
39           Stored Print Media Storage     3,4,10       Final Text          Waiting for Publication
                                                         Completed
40           DVD using UDF Media            10,11,12     Early Draft         Public Comment in January
                                                                             1999

                                            DICOM Standards Committee,
                                            Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                     Systems Division (09)
                                      306              March 10 - 11, 1999
41   Security Enhancements Two                  Preliminary
42   MPEG Transfer Syntaxes and    5            Preliminary
     Encoding
43   3D (multi-dimensional)        3,4,6,10     Preliminary
     Ultrasound IODs and SOP
     Classes
44   Part 9 Retirement             9            Initial             Public Comment March 1999
45   Ultrasound Protocol Support   3, 6         Initial             Public Comment May 1999
46   Simplified Structured         3, 4, 6      Early Draft         Public Comment May 1999
     Reporting SOPs
47   Multi-frame Visible Light     3,4,6        Late Draft
     Image




                                   DICOM Standards Committee,
                                   Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                            Systems Division (09)
                             307              March 10 - 11, 1999
      DICOM Standards Committee,
      Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
               Systems Division (09)
293              March 10 - 11, 1999
Subject:       WG8 Report to DICOM
Author:        "Dean Bidgood" <bidgood@intrex.net>
Date:          3/2/99 2:55 PM

Report of DICOM WG8 (Structured Reporting), March 10, 1999

A subcommittee of WG6 members and representatives of WG1, WG6, WG8, WG9,
WG12, and WG15 met on February 23-24 and on March 9 to the final review of
the SR concept-representation model requested by WG6 in January.

WG6 requested this final review to validate the SR semantic model prior to revising the encoding
specifications of the frozen-draft of Supplement 23 (sup23_fz.doc, Nov. 20, 1997) with any of the
changes proposed in the committee-drafts of Supplement 46.

During these meetings, the core elements of the SR semantic model were affirmed and the
boundaries of the model were discussed. Enhancement of the supplement 23 model with the top-
down declaration of report-section-headings (proposed by Harry Solomon) was discussed. The SR-
modelers agree that this is a useful enhancement. Examples with actual report information are being
prepared to help WG6 reach the final consensus on encoding.

Implementations of Supplement 23

A PACS vendor and two academic institutions(University of California at San
Francisco and Oldenburg University) reported to WG8 members at the 1999 SPIE
conference that they have implemented Supplement 23. The Oldenburg University implementation
will be demonstrated at the European Congress of Radiology annual meeting, March, 1999 in
Vienna, Austria. The commercial DICOM-message implementation Supplement 23 is for
electrocardiogram interpretation. WG12(DICOM ultrasound WG) requested that WG8 and WG6
complete Supplement 23 as soon as possible since some of their members have already
implemented the semantic model of the frozen-draft Supplement 23 in Extensible Markup
Language (XML).

Letter Ballot Text

WG8 is prepared to assist WG6 in preparation of letter ballot text for Supplement 23 in the March
WG6 meeting or in the following meeting of WG6 for ballot in the 2nd or 3rd quarter of 1999. The
letter-ballot text of Supplement 23 will incorporate some of the changes proposed in Supplement
46. Early implementers have requested that revisions of the frozen draft specification of
Supplement 23 be kept to a minimum.




                                                                  DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                  Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                           Systems Division (09)
                                               294                           March 10 - 11, 1999
DICOM WG-10

                           Report to the DICOM Committee

                                  March 9-10,1999

                                  Vienna, Austria

Topics

Security


CEN/TC251


DICOM/web


HL7/DICOM      collaboration

Strategic   plan document

Security

Access     rights

Confidentiality

–   Media

RSNA    demo of digital signatures
–Profile vis-a-vis workflow issues
–Obtain user input
–Use part of DICOM Seminar time-slot?


–



Security

German     meeting in June

CEN TC-251

                                                      DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                      Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                               Systems Division (09)
                                        295                      March 10 - 11, 1999
New chair of WG4: Melvin Reynolds
–Representing TC-251 for this meeting


WG4:     Technology for interoperability
–


–



DICOM/web

DICOM
       The model is the message
       DICOM is THE medical imaging standard
While we should be open to considering new syntax or graphical
representations in our our specification, there are important
reasons to continue the existing ones
       DICOM needs to position itself on Internet-related issues




                                                                     DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                     Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                              Systems Division (09)
                                                               296              March 10 - 11, 1999
DICOM      needs to stay focused on imaging







HL7/DICOM Collaboration

Joint working group
–Stress international participation
–Co-locate alternately with HL7 and DICOM
–Needs Technical Committee status in HL7
–Needs WG status in DICOM


FacilitateIHE
–Orderly process to deliver needed standards
–Standards-developing work needed by IHE








Strategic Plan

Inventory      of work projects & status

Powerpoint        presentation

Action Item

Propose      the joint working group to HL7
       Letter from DICOM co-chairs
       HL7 board meets in the week of April 26
       “We’re ready to initiate a WG in DICOM for this purpose; we suggest a new HL7 TC”
       Scope: image-related information (images, waveforms, related documents)


Prioritize    the DICOM/web issues at next WG10 meeting - and WG plan

Attachment
Bidgood, WD Jr, alSafadi Y, Tucker M, Prior F, Hagan G, Mattison
JE. The Role of Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine in


                                                                                     DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                                     Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                                              Systems Division (09)
                                                            297                                 March 10 - 11, 1999
an Evolving Healthcare Computing Environment: The Model is the
Message. Journal of Digital Imaging. 1998;11:1-9.




                                           DICOM Standards Committee,
                                           Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                    Systems Division (09)
                               298                    March 10 - 11, 1999
Respectfully submitted by,

W. Dean Bidgood, Jr., MD, MS
Chairman, DICOM WG8
Subject:     WG11 Quarterly Report
Author:      Thurman Gillespy <tg3@u.washington.edu>
Date:        2/19/99 1:58 AM

Since the last meeting of the DICOM Committee, WG11 met Sept 9-10
and Nov 5-6.

During this interval WG6 approved Supplement 33 as a Frozen Draft
for Demonstration. WG11 has received several questions on Supplement
28, the Grayscale Standard Display Function, and is reviewing the
information in some of the tables for clarification.

WG11 has begun work on the Advanced Presentation State, with a
consideration of Multiplanar and 3D.

We received a proposal from OTech, representing a consortium, to
develop a demonstration of the Grayscale standard Display Function of the
Presentation State Storage at the European Congress of Radiology
(ECR) in Vienna March 9-11, 1999. WG11 accepted their proposal after some
clarifications, and developed a test plan and an image set.

WG11 established a liaison with American Association of Physicists in
Medicine (AAPM) Task Group 18 on Electronic Displays, and sent
representatives to their meeting during RSNA.

During the meeting November 5-6, the group elected Thurman
Gillespy III, M.D. to be its Chair. We reviewed the status of the ECR
demonstration, adjusted two dates, and made plans to produce test images. We
agreed to ask ImageSmiths to donate the use of display system calibration
system, and ImageSmiths agreed.

Thurman Gillespy III, M.D.
Department of Radiology
University of Washington
Seattle, Washington, USA




                                                                 DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                 Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                          Systems Division (09)
                                              299                           March 10 - 11, 1999
Subject:      Working Group 12 DICOM Committee Report
Author:       "Dave Heaney" <dave@ali.bc.ca>
Date:         2/18/99 12:43 AM

Report on Working Group 12, Ultrasound
David Heaney
SR 23/46 SOP CLASS PROPOSAL

WG 12 continues to follow the progress of the Structured Reporting Supplements. Ultrasound
will adopt these Supplements for use in conveying Ultrasound measurement and observation
data. At this time plan on using ?generic? or ?general? SOP Classes
rather than Ultrasound specific SOP Classes.

STRESS ECHO CHANGE PROPOSAL

Progress continues in the development of the Stress Echo Supplement will. We hope to soon
present it Working Group VI for review.

PALETTE COLOR CHANGE PROPOSAL

The palette color change proposal developed is being combined with another CP, CP-143, so that
all the changes and clarifications can be contained in a single document.

IVUS STANDARD REQUIREMENTS

The progress on the development of the IVUS Supplement by Working Goup I continues to be
followed. We have reviewed the initial Requirements and hope to assist in it development.

LOINC MEASUREMENTS

The Work Group continues to compile and review list of measurements for inclusion in LOINC.

MPEG COMPRESSION

Work has begun on creating a Supplement for adding MPEG compression for Ultrasound cine
images. This is planned to take the form of a new Transfer Syntax and additional encoding rules
for MPEG data in the existing pixel data element.

DEVELOPMENT OF 3D STANDARD

The new 3D Group will be developing rules for encoding multi-dimensional data sets. They will
not however address encoding issues for acquisition sets which are used to derive the 3D data.

                                                                 DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                 Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                          Systems Division (09)
                                              300                           March 10 - 11, 1999
For this reason Working Group 12 is reviewing the existing Ultrasound IODs to determine if any
changes or new IODs and SOP Classes are required.

Report of WG 14 (Security) to the DICOM Committee

9 March 1999
Working Group 14 has had one meeting and one teleconference since the last DICOM committee
meeting. The next meeting of Working Group 14 will be Wednesday, May 5th at SCAR in
Houston Supplement 31 Security Enhancements One, was presented to WG 6 at their January
meeting in preparation for letter ballot. WG 6 referred one question back to WG 14 regarding
the action that should be taken when an integrity check failed. WG 14 resolved this issue at their
San Diego meeting, following suggestions made by WG 6. Following final approval from the
chair of WG 6, WG 14 requests that Supplement 31 be sent out for letter ballot.
Working Group 14 also continued discussions on Supplement 41 (embedded Digital Signatures)
at their San Diego meeting. WG 14 addressed all comments received up to that point, and is
asking WG 6 to review Supplement 41 towards the end of freezing the document for trial
implementation. WG 14 drafted Request for Proposals, which it submitted to the chair of the
Committee for the Advancement of DICOM, with a request to sponsor a trial implementation of
Digital Signatures to be shown either as an InfoRad exhibit at RSNA 1999 or at SPIE 2000.
The working group also discussed briefly the potential of using UDF-based media in a secure file
system. No actions on this matter are planned at this time.

L. Tarbox, Ph.D.




                                                                  DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                  Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                           Systems Division (09)
                                              301                            March 10 - 11, 1999
Subject:       DICOM WG 15 (Mammography) - Report for DICOM Committee
Author:        <dclunie@idt.net>
Date:          2/20/99 1:23 PM


DICOM WG 15 (Mammography) - Report for DICOM Committee March 1999

WG 15 has expressed interest in making use of DICOM Structured Reporting for both:

- encoding of mammography reports, and
- encoding of Computer Assisted Diagnosis (CADx) results

At RSNA, a significant effort was made to recruit key vendors in both industries to participate in
WG 15.

The group has not met for some time, partly due to conflicting schedules of the participants, and
partly due to the need for further progress in advancing the base Structured Reporting document
through WG 6.

It is planned to a arrange a meeting at ACR or NEMA during the late March or early April time
frame. There are no other work items on the agenda for WG 15 and WG 15
requests no action from the Committee at this time.

david

David A. Clunie                              mailto:dclunie@idt.net
Director, Medical Imaging Technologies       http://idt.net/~dclunie/
Quintiles Intelligent Imaging                http://www.i2image.com/
521 Plymouth Rd #115                         Work 610-238-0572 Fax -0578
Plymouth Meeting PA 19462                    Home 717-897-7123 Fax -5117




                                                                  DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                                  Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                                           Systems Division (09)
                                               302                           March 10 - 11, 1999
Report from DICOM WG 16 (MR enhancements)
activities
Matthias Drobnitzky




List of previous meetings

 september 16 and 17, 1998, during ESMRMB ’98 in Geneva
 january 12 and 13, 1999, at NNI in Delft


List of future meetings

 april 15 and 16,1999, at NEMA in Washington
 june 20 and 21, 1999, before CARS ’99 in Paris
 september 14 and 15, 1999, before ESMRMB ’99 in Sevilla


List of action items defined through novel MR applications

   work on multi-frame image module
   work on novel descriptive attributes for pulse sequences
   work on spectroscopy data representation
   work on definition of localizer images
   work on MR specific modality LUT, color in MR applications, calibration,
    description of stimuli used in functional MR imaging, operations
    between images (wrt. original and derived MR images),



                                                    DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                    Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                             Systems Division (09)
                                     303                       March 10 - 11, 1999
List of short-term goals

 drafting of proposed work items for presentation to the DICOM comittee


List of members

Thomas Hlaban                      GE Medical Systems
Clint Heinold                      GE Medical Systems
Matthias Drobnitzky                Siemens AG, Medizinische Technik
Robert Nawrocki                    Picker International, Inc.
Kees Verduin                       Philips Medical Systems
Wybo Palstra                               Philips Medical Systems
Mark Day                           University of California, SF
Rob van de Geest                   LUMC-University, Dep. of Radiology
Jet van Leent                      Nederlands Normalisatie-instituut
David Clunie                       Med. Imaging Technologies, Plymouth
Roland Faber                       Siemens AG, Medizinische Technik
J.W. van Kuyk                      Toshiba Medical Systems Europe BV
Marco Demarmels                    Lake Griffin Ltd./Tech. Inc.
Hermine Hekker                     for the DICOM WG 16 secretariat


List of people showing interest to join/collaborate with WG 16

Jim Connors                        Sensor Systems, Inc.
David Hearshen                     Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, MI
Chris Randell                      SMIS Ltd.
Nickolas Kotran                    Hitachi Medical Systems America




                                                    DICOM Standards Committee,
                                                    Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                             Systems Division (09)
                                    304                        March 10 - 11, 1999
DICOM WG 17 (3D) Report to DICOM Standards Committee     Wednesday,
March 10, 1999

WG 17 met on Thursday 25th February 1999 during the SPIE Medical
Imaging '99meeting.

The meeting was chaired by Doug Sluis and was well attended.

The WG considered a number of documents including two which
discussed the possibility of adopting specific file formats for
the pixel data. After lengthy discussion of the merits of these
formats and the primary role of DICOM in the communication of
Medical Images, it was agreed that they should not be adopted.
The pixel data is to be represented as for existing Image IODs.

The WG decided not to consider presentation issues for the time
being, noting that relevant work was under consideration by WG
11. WG 17 might decide that it would need to do some work in
this area, possibly in collaboration with WG11, at some time in
the future.

It was agreed that more than 3 dimensions were required and that
the immediate work should focus on the specification of the
descriptive data for each of the dimensions an N-Dimensional
image array.

The N-Dimensional images will frequently have been produced as a
result of processing of another N Dimensional array. It was
agreed that the IOD would specify the resulting image array
rather than the means by which it was obtained.

Some work was done during the meeting regarding necessary
descriptive data elements and their structure. Written documents
arising from this work are to be discussed at the next meeting.
One of these will be a revised version of a draft
Multidimensional Secondary Capture IOD DICOM Supplement which was
produced by CEN/TC 251/WG 4 a few years ago.

Nicholas Brown
njgb@medphys.ucl.ac.uk




                                           DICOM Standards Committee,
                                           Diagnostic Imaging & Therapy
                                                    Systems Division (09)
                               305                    March 10 - 11, 1999

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Description: Print Presentation Lut document sample