Unit: Social Studies
Grade Level: Kindergarten
The Student will -
1.Be able to identify the three modes of
transportation. (land, air, sea)
2. Be able to categorize different types of
transportation into the correct mode.
3. Be able to identify at least 5 different types of
Modes of Transportation
• Hot Air Ballon
• Jet ski
• Materials: Play luggage, Play clothes,
passports, food, tickets, play money.
1.Divide the children into 4 groups. Give each
group a type of transportation. (bus, boat,
2. Have each group decide what they would
need for their type of transportation and have
them role play a trip to wherever they want
based on their type of transportation.
• Materials: toy cars, trucks, buses, etc.
1. Give each child one toy type of transportation.
Discuss the different ways they can be categorized.
2. Have them get into groups of transportation that
travel by air, sea and land.
3. Then have them group themselves into smaller
groups such as trucks (semi, pickup, dump), buses
(city, school), planes (helicopters, Jets), bicycles
(unicycle, tricycle), etc.
• Materials: Bikes, tricycles, road signs.
1. If it is nice outside, set up a roadway with
road signs outside.
2. Have students learn what the different signs
mean and role play using the bikes and
• Materials: Chart paper, markers.
1. Poll the students about how they get to school
in the morning, and how they leave in the
2. Make a bar graph for morning and afternoon.
Compare each graph with itself and the other
• Materials: old magazines, chart paper,
scissors, glue, markers.
1. Make 3 posters using chart paper with the
headings of land, air, and sea.
2. Have students sort through old magazines
and cut out as many types of transportation
they can find.
3. Have them glue and label the pictures onto
the correct piece of chart paper.
• Are we There yet, Daddy?
– Virginia Walters
• Everything I Know About Cars
– Tom Lictenheld
• Going to School
– Joanne Mattern
• I Drive a Freight Train
• Machines at Work
– Kindersley Dorling
• Oh, The Places You’ll Go!
– Dr. Seuss
• The Polar Express
– Chris Van Allsburg
• Transportation Theme-A-Saurus
– Carol Gnojewski and Gary Mohrman
• Transportation (Questions and Answers
– Editors of Kingfisher
• When I Ride the Bus
– Jackie Chappell
• Resources, lessons and activities:
• Books, games, and crafts
• Crafts, activities, and recipes
• Activities and Lessons
• Theme unit books