NAPP PHARMACEUTICAL GROUP
PROPOSED JOB DESCRIPTION
Account Manager (field based)
DEPARTMENT: Marketing COMPANY: Napp Pharmaceuticals
UK Sales Manager -
RESPONSIBLE TO: DATE: February 2011
A. BROAD PURPOSE OF JOB:
In line with all relevant guidelines, Charter, Brand and Market Access Strategy:
Work as part of a national field based team of Account Managers
Drive the brands business through an account management approach to achieve sales targets using
selling models, processes and resources as appropriate whilst working co-operatively with the rest
of the team to achieve team goals
Engage with the rheumatology healthcare community to understand and promote the appropriate
use of the brand in rheumatoid arthritis and feedback any ideas to develop its life cycle back to the
relevant teams at Head Office
Deliver account plan objectives and identify short and long term growth opportunities which will
create a positive prescribing environment for the brand
Create and maintain key account plans based on Business needs and customer knowledge
B. SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Develop and maintain a thorough understanding of the local NHS environment in order to create
an appropriate account plan and objectives and communicate these with team colleagues and
relevant Head Office stakeholders.
This Account Plan needs to reflect the brand strategy and should take account of the following:
i) Ways to maintain existing business.
ii) Suggestions for developing new business.
iii) Key stakeholders and decision makers at all levels
iv) Innovative ways to access target customers
v) Threats to the business displayed from competitor activity analysis, and from other means.
vi) An overview of action to be taken based upon the above analysis.
2. Demonstrate flexibility in account planning by producing evolving and continually updated account
plans which reflect outcomes and objectives.
3. Support the brand Business Manager in developing and implementing the local brand plan and
ensure regular and accurate account updates are communicated.
4. Devise sales tactics to support the strategic plans for the brand through understanding the needs
and priorities of individual accounts.
5. National and local key opinion leader identification and development
6. Work autonomously, and as part of a team, to efficiently cover a large geographical area
7. a) Build strong beneficial relationships with key NHS customers in order to maximise business
b) Recognise, negotiate and influence key stakeholders around the NHS by demonstrating examples
of where the brand can positively affect key local NHS plans
c) To create customer influencing maps which clearly demonstrate the potential of customers in an
up and down influencing capacity to positively impact on the business needs of the area.
8. Maximise the opportunity where positive endorsement is achieved, by dissemination of guidance
and inclusion on local prescribing systems including influence local policy; guidelines, pathways,
protocols & formularies.
9. Ensure wider communication to internal stake holders and utilise internal resources
10. Responsible for the acquisition and subsequent monitoring of the territory expenditure budget.
11. Responsible for the prompt payment of any costs incurred in the provision of educational and
support programmes to customers.
12. Work closely with other team members and internal customers to deliver on objectives and
13. Work within the constraints of relevant Code of Practices, Policies and Procedures, minimum
standards and selling strategies, and demonstrating commitment to the Company Core Values,
Leadership Attributes and agreed Key Competencies.
14. Responsible for ensuring a high level of product, disease area and competitor knowledge and
display competence in all relevant exams and knowledge assessments. Must update themselves
with all developments around the therapeutic indication to competently engage with customers.
C. PERSON SPECIFICATION
Alongside demonstrating Napp’s core values and leadership attributes:
Pharmaceutical/Life Science degree (higher qualification desirable)
ABPI Code of Practice trained
o Proven ability to gain formulary inclusion, secure product endorsement, influence guidelines
and pathways, selling skills with SvT track record
Proven ability to build effective customer relationships
Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills (especially when presenting
clinical information to HCPs)
Self motivated, demonstrates initiative
Proven team worker both within immediate team and further afield
Excellent organisational and administrative skills
Flexibility in covering other territories during recruitment process
Regular overnight stay required to attend internal and external meetings
Full UK driving licence
Desirable to have knowledge of rheumatology therapeutic area by selling in this area (either
biologics or DMARDS)
Proven ability in assimilating complex scientific and analytical information
NHS Knowledge: local environment including priorities, influential individuals and current or
Proven ability to create objectives and account plans that will achieve business goals
o Able to contribute to tactical planning process
o Proven account planning ability. Able to demonstrate innovation in account planning whilst
Evaluation skills (evaluation objectives and successes & adjusting plans as required)
Budget management and delivery of ROI
Understand and engaged with strategic planning and the charter process
o Engaged with the Company, brand and sales strategies
Proven ability to feedback within team to deliver improved business results
Organisational savvy (knowledge of networks within the Company and how they can be utilised to
achieve business goals)