Isc

Document Sample
Isc Powered By Docstoc
					Regular Meeting
Instructional Services Council
January 11, 2005

Present:        John Backes, Barry Ehrlich, Norma Goldstein, Carol Henderson, Susan Hoyne, Jim
                James, Gillian Lewis, Berta Lloyd, Andrea Rye, Thalia Saplad, Don Schultz, Terry
                Taylor, Yvonne Terrell-Powell, Robin Young

Guests:         Beverly Brandt, Holly Woodmansee, Judy Yu

MINUTES
The November 23 and December 7, 2004 minutes were approved after one name correction on Page 1 of the
November 23 minutes.

FMS QUERY
Beverly Brandt explained what happened with FMS Query. It became evident that anyone with access to FMS
Query could get access into any area, and there was no way to secure the system. This was a problem with the
auditors. The college had to limit access to FMS Query. We had a consultant from CIS working on
information we had in our books that was not posting over right, and still is not. Therefore, new software called
“By Request” was ordered. It is now on campus and being used by Student Government. Beverly hopes that it
will be up and running by mid-February to use until rehosting occurs. Training for By Request will be provided.
Beverly requested that Instructional Deans email Holly Woodmansee with the names of people who will need
access to By Request. All reports through By Request will be printed on campus in the Finance Office. They
will have accurate information. Don complimented Holly Woodmansee on her informative presentation to the
recent SEEK meeting.

All Campus Meeting. Beverly announced that there would be an all campus meeting on January 21 from 12:45
p.m. until 3:00 p.m. regarding the Facilities Master Plan. She encouraged all to attend this open forum meeting.

ROUNDTABLE
Phyllis Harris has been testing By Request on MIS reporting with Bonnie Madison. It is working well. The
system takes job schedule reports and puts them in a format you can read on the screen.
Jim James reported that data is being analyzed from a recent survey of students attending classes at Lake Forest
Park. The survey, which will be shared with ISC, should reveal things that can be improved at LFP.
Gillian Lewis said the Nursing Program application deadline was yesterday. As of Friday there were 180
applications. The workload impacts everyone, including Advising & Counseling. Gillian will be researching
some ideas to assist in reviewing transcripts.
Andrea Rye presented the PLA process to the last division yesterday. The issue is ready to start going through
the governance structure.
Carla Hogan reported a growth in the Fashion Merchandising Program such that they had to open an addition
class Fall Quarter. Business Administration’s second quarterly advising event is scheduled for February 16. A
panel of employers from Boeing, REI, Microsoft, Starbucks and Stinson-Lane will present on what employers
are looking for.
Berta Lloyd announced that WED/Prof-Tech has a Best Practices grant of $10,000 from the State Board as well
as a grant that will be funded in the Dental Reimbursement Specialist Program to assist faculty in curriculum
development. Two $5,000 e-industry grants have been funded. There is also an industry based professional
development grant supported by Bob Shields for the Information Assurance program.
Yvonne Terrell-Powell announced they completed orientation during the first week and supported evening
registration with Enrollment Services. She will be working with Student Services Managers to talk about issues
regarding recruitment and retention. There will be a conversation about a taskforce and academic advisors re
concerns about advising across campus.


                                                       1
Robin Young reported that the Academic Calendar Committee now meets weekly through March. The
committee is building three permanent calendars, rather than one “proposed” and one “tentative.” The calendars
will be before the Board of Trustees in March. Please share with faculty official fall quarter start dates cannot
be given out until then. Robin announced 45% of faculty did web grading online. She commended these
faculty and encouraged more to do so.
Susan Hoyne announced the closing date for two Mathematics positions will close on January 19. Assurance
was received by the National Science Foundation that our Scientist in Residence is receiving a million dollar
grant for the next two years.
Norma Goldstein reported that Humanities is working with WED on the Trans-Atlantic Technology and
Training Alliance (TA3). One role is with the Virtual Enterprise Workshops on January 20, which is a very
exiting simulation teaching strategy. Humanities is also working with EntertainNet developing an international
project. Norma thanked Darlene Miller. Associate faculty member, Catherine Treadgold (Music) just published
a book. Thanks to PIO, Shalin Hai-Jew has written text for a Pacific NW coffee table book, and one of our Art
students designed the cover. A presentation of “Art Store” was given at a recent Humanities Division meeting.
This is a database of 300,000 images. The Opera Workshop La Bête is in rehearsal. Susan Hoyne and Norma
will present in March at the League for Innovations. Barry reported that the Honors Recital will happen this
Thursday where instrumental and vocal students are selected for outstanding fall quarter juries.
Terry Taylor reported that the largest meeting of Historians in the United States held their annual meeting in
Seattle last week. Amy Kinsel and Terry presented at the conference.
Judy Yu thanked the Deans for attending the Transfer Marketing meeting this morning. The group will meet
every two weeks to develop content material to be placed on the web.
Don Schultz announced that Pat Koenen has been hired through Extended Learning to do the Raytheon
contract. He has been in Burbank this week. Doug Angell returned from Volvo training in Florida. Interviews
are scheduled for the Department of Labor Grant Director position this week. Scott Main received $3,500 from
General Motors for special tools. Don explained that they encourage tool vendors to place equipment in the
shop so students become familiar with them. One of our Toyota graduates brought their dealer out to purchase a
piece of our equipment and will be having the newest model installed next week.
John Backes announced that Kelli Koon was hired as the full-time temporary Web Services Librarian. The line
for this position ends on January 26. Hopefully we will have a permanent person employed by the end of
Winter Quarter. Tom Moran developed 2-creditonline Bluegrass class and will consider moving it until the
third week of the quarter. John’s status as Special Assistant to the President is a 6-month position and involves
covering governance committees and structures. Holly Moore will review that position in month five and
decide what to do with it and will consider moving it until the third week of the quarter. John’s status as Special
Assistant to the President is a 6-month position and involves covering governance committees and structures.
Holly Moore will review that position in month five and decide what to do with it.
Thalia Saplad acknowledged the tsunami tragedy and reported that none of our International students or their
families were affected by it. The International Program has experienced a slight growth in new student
numbers. Colleen Ferguson will be presenting at the TA3 workshop. Running Start numbers are positive.

ENROLLMENT
Phyllis reported our current headcount is at 7136, or 549 behind last year. Quarterly state FTEs are 4359.8, or
343 behind; overall FTES are 4892.4, or 380 behind. We are at 64.6% of our annualized target, with only one
quarter to go. Running Start is ahead from last year and International Programs is at 410.5, or 16.1 ahead from
last year.

Enrollments are down statewide. Carol reported that the state-of-the-college would be put on DAAG.
Enrollment will be short this year and we will barely have a chance to make state requirements for enrollment.
We will fall short of our projections and it appears we will be behind on tuition revenue. It does have
implications for us when enrollment falls this far behind our projections. Since the economy is improving,



                                                         2
student demand for Worker Retraining has dropped, but we have overcome that deficit somewhat, and have
done a better job than comparable institutions so far.

Robin reported details of the recent Phone Outreach Campaign. Out of 461 students contacted, 195 said they
plan to register. Of those 195, 72 said they just haven’t gotten around and 35 said they were too busy to register.
24 said they didn’t have the money and 20 said they were trying to figure out what classes to take. Survey
results showed we are losing an extremely small number of students to other colleges. The survey had a good
response rate and can be relied upon as having valid data based on the survey numbers. Carol asked that Deans
look closely at the survey results and share them with their areas. The survey results will also be discussed at
the Student Services Managers meeting.

Part of the success in enrollment goes to the division secretaries. Kudos to the secretaries and assistants who
contact so many students by phone to make sure they get into the classes they need. Students feel this is very
good service, and it really makes a difference.

Barry wondered if it was possible to call students by program in hopes to gather detailed information about
specific programs. Although he talked to two students last quarter that won’t come back for athletic reasons,
there is a lot of support for athletics on campus. It is clear if students connect strongly with athletics, clubs, fine
and performing arts activities they have a much strong desire to say. Connections and building relationships
increase retention.

The Noel Levitz survey is conducted in alternating years, but it is out of cycle with the program planning
process. The “extra questions” on the Noel Levitz survey may not be used next time because it causes too much
confusion in a survey where the rest of the data is incredibly tested. Those kinds of questions may be used with
another tool for campus climate information.

RESPONSIBILITY/ASSIGNATION FOR PART-TIME FACULTY OFFICES
Information was distributed on the distribution by percentage of P-T faculty offices for fall quarter as well as a
list of offices sorted by division. An analysis of this information reveals distribution of part-time faculty offices
is out of balance. Andrea and John will take a very close look at making adjustments in the office spaces so
they follow more closely the percentage of part-time faculty. They will assign the offices to divisions who will
have the ability to schedule the spaces, and bring the proposal back to the Dean Team.

NEW WAC PROF-TECH CERTIFICATION
Berta Lloyd distributed a copy of the new WAC for Professional-Technical Certification to acquaint the Deans
with details and answer questions. Shoreline is just getting to the implementation part of the new WAC on
campus. While at Renton Technical College and out of the Workforce Education Council, Norma Goldstein and
78 tenured faculty were given an opportunity to develop new Professional-Technical Skill Standards for the
State of Washington. They identified skills needed in the classroom for faculty. These 78 faculty,
administrators and representatives from Labor developed 17 courses that are updated and online.

A subcommittee (Berta Lloyd, Karen Toreson, Donna Wilde, Darlene Miller) met recently to look at how to
implement the WAC. Berta noted there has been a lot of misinformation on what will be required of people.
The new Prof-Tech Certification process is intended to be a professional growth framework for faculty. WAC
131-16-070 through 131-16-095 is the law. It is a condition of hire and for continued employment. Jeanne
Skaare manages the program.

There are two ways to become certified: (1) Initial Certification, which is good for 3 years; and (2) Standard
Certification, which is good for 5 years. The initial 3-year certification to continued 5-year certification follows
our tenure and post-tenure process. We are trying to align the cycle so Prof-Tech faculty don’t have to go this
twice. The 5-year certification must be kept current. As a point of clarification, only Deans who are in a


                                                           3
program where they are expected to teach must become certified. Berta Lloyd as Dean of Professional-
Technical Education must also be certified.

Berta provided a copy of a Self-Assessment Form (or survey), which would be used during the first step to
become certified. The faculty member and Dean would use the document to assess strengths and opportunities
for growth. It focuses on reaching professional goals as a facilitator of learning. Using the ten skill standards, it
helps determine in which areas to concentrate growth in. This part of the process has not been implemented yet,
and will need to go through the JU/MC. There are many professional development opportunities for Prof-Tech
faculty besides Professional-Technical certification courses. They can opt for additional college credit, paid or
unpaid field work/clinical experience, conferences, workshops, travel related to discipline, curriculum
development, research, etc.

Skill Standards are the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary to be a successful teacher in the classroom
room. They are linked to faculty for professional development, and have been developed by tenured faculty
throughout the state’s community college system. They are:
    1. Manage Learning Environments*
    2. Develop Outcomes, Assessments and Curricula*
    3. Develop and Review Programs
    4. Provide Student Instruction*
    5. Provide Support and Guidance to Students
    6. Perform Administrative Functions
    7. Create and Maintain a Professional Environment
    8. Promote the Program and Recruit Students
    9. Learn and Adapt New Technologies
    10. Perform Program Management Functions
         *Required

The state is providing the colleges a window of opportunity to move into compliance with the new WAC. Berta
hopes the subcommittee will be finished with Shoreline’s internal process and be in compliance Spring Quarter.
99% of our Professional-Technical faculty are certified under the old WAC. The new WAC is very user
friendly and a good system. It will provide great opportunities for us to support our Professional-Technical
faculty.

CO-ADMISSION
Carla, Gillian, Robin and Carla have met with Cascadia CC and UWB to put together a co-admission, co-
enrollment plan for students that would allow them to apply at SCC and UWB. They would have to meet the
criteria for UWB, and could be enrolled in both institutions at the same time. (This would not pertain to
Running Start students). It would allow students to get their general education requirements out of the way and
attend advanced classes at the UWB at the same time. They are coordinating all the paperwork that would go
along with this and are focusing on the two main areas of Business and IDS. Susan will bring this matter back
to the Dean Team in more detail. They will take this matter to the faculty who would be the ones to coordinate
and talk about the courses and get a buy-in from different departments on how this is going to work. Obvious
benefits for students would be close advisement from both areas and a guaranteed spot at the UWB. There is
one concern with the UW policy that students cannot get Latin honors unless they take their last 90 credits at the
UW. This issue will come up before the UW Faculty Senate. It would be up to the UW faculty to make this
exception.

PRESIDENTS LEADERSHIP TEAM
Items discussed at PLT included:
     Enrollment issues and posting the annual FTE goal on DAAG so the campus will have a chance to look
        at the annual target performance on FTEs.


                                                          4
       Annex remodel and creating a committee to work on it. Carol is interested in having Berta, Susan, Don
        on that committee as well as a faculty member from English, Mathematics and World Languages if
        possible.
       Civil Service Reform. There will be a position review statewide on every classified position on campus.
        The new agreement for classified staff will be in operation July 1, and training will need to occur before
        then.
       Manufacturing faculty position.

FACULTY POSITION REQUESTS
Carol distributed a version of the faculty positions spreadsheet that included indication of the hiring criteria that
was met for each position. After the ISC overview and discussion of each position and dots exercise, Carol sat
down, and based on responses from the Deans, indicated which criteria each position met. She explained that
addressing the criteria in the position requests and meeting the criteria are two different things. Based on
feedback she has received, next time everyone will work together at the ISC level and agree on which positions
are meeting which criteria. Positions meeting the most criteria and approved to fill were:
     Art History/Studio Art
     Drama/Cinema
     Academic ESL/Technology Specialist
     Music/Instrumental Music
     SLPA
     Mathematics

The runners up were the second ESL position and Volvo. Carol is pleased how this process is working overall.
With the last couple iterations of this exercise, we are gradually working our way through the list. PLT decided
that the BAM Manufacturing position would continue on soft money for an additional year. There is separate
funding for that. Carol hopes to approve at least one or two additional searches off this list by moving dollars
from the part-time faculty account to faculty salaries and will advocate for that during the budget planning
process.

Carol is concerned about the criteria being set up in a way that emphasizes teaching and learning in the tradition
format, that other areas on campus are more advantaged than Advising & Counseling positions. Those positions
may continue to score low, but at some point we will have to move toward to complete a specialty advising team
and make sure Advising & Counseling staff are at the appropriate level. At some point she will probably pull
those positions out and make an exception to the criteria scoring.

It will be helpful next year to have a thorough discussion of the criteria so there is a clear understanding. The
Interdisciplinary category as well as the Advising, Retention, Support category needs to be discussed in detail.

Deans recommended that for any full-time temporary position that an Appointment Review Committee be set up
that first year. There is clearly an advantage to doing that, but Carol explained we have worked with the
Federation on this point before. The problem lies with the large number of new faculty groups, if we had ARCs
for all full-time temporary positions, the workload for the total campus goes way up. In collaboration with the
Federation, we decided not to do that for this current round of positions, although we have had exceptions in the
past. Further, if some temporary full-time faculty have ARCs, then it is prejudicial against those who do not.
Perhaps a solution would be to go through JU/MC to look at establishing criteria for exceptions. Carol will put
this matter on the agenda for a future topic.

Meeting adjourned 11:10 a.m.
Minutes recorded by
Kerry Fondren



                                                          5

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:124
posted:7/5/2011
language:English
pages:5