Why should I apply to
• Better jobs, better prospects and more
• Earn more money
• Develop valuable skills
• Work Placements
• Do what you love doing
• A good time!
• New interests and experiences
• NHS Bursaries
• Please check directly with the University
for clarification of bursaries
How do I choose a course?
• 50,000 higher education courses
• 500 institutions
• Write down a list of jobs you’d like to
do and why?
• Discuss your options
• Think about what you enjoy and do
How do I find out about
• University websites
• League tables and guides
• Higher Education Fairs
• Talk to people
Points to Consider
• How does the course content vary
• How long is the course?
• How is the course assessed? By final
exam, coursework or ongoing
Points to Remember
• How is the course taught? Ratio of formal
• Is there opportunity for work placement?
• What sort of jobs have current graduates
gone on to do?
• What are the entry requirements?
• Check entry requirements
• Do they except Access?
• If in doubt contact the University to check.
• If you are unsure about anything in regards
to the course, contact the University
Admissions tutors, by phone or email.
• Don’t be afraid to contact them, that’s what
they are there for!
Which university to go to?
• Look at university websites and
• Go to Open Days, campus tours, tasters
• NEVER CHOOSE A UNIVERSITY
YOU HAVE’NT VISITED!!!
What else should I think
• Does it have a good transport links?
• How far away from home is it?
• Is it in a city location or town or country?
• What is the accommodation like?
• What are the study facilities?
• How good are the social and sporting
• What student help is available?
• You are investing a great deal of time and
money in your degree so make sure that you
do lots of research!
• Of the students who drop out of higher
education in their first year, the majority do
so because they have chosen the wrong
course or the wrong University for them, so
do your homework!
• Online application (www.ucas.com)
• Register and make a start on your
• Personal statement
• Cost £11.00 or £21.00 as at entry 2011
• Apply through me not individually!!
After Applying to UCAS
• Need to check Track regularly on the UCAS
• Make sure you accept places on courses
before the offer expires
• Apply for Loans/Grants November onwards
• Student Finance Calculator
How Can I help You
• With researching universities/courses
• I can log you on to the UCAS application
• Guide you through your UCAS application
• Help with your personal statement
• Advise you about Finance
FRIDAY 15th October 2010!!
All applications must be
completed by this date at the
Help and Advice
If you would like any help or advice, please
do not hesitate to contact:-
Lucy Moore – Careers/HE Adviser
01530 836136 ext 228 or
in Student Support or
MATURE STUDENT OPEN
MATURE STUDENT OPEN
• Loughborough – Wednesday 3rd November
• Will need own Transport
• Campus tour, finance talks, subject talks
• Will numbers ASAP To book places
• Friday 15th October 2010
• 10.00-3.00 – Bus will leave at 9.00 am
• Talks and Taster session
• Transport will be provided–Limited places
on the minibus.