Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out

Information for Academic Tutors - North Campus


									Department of Student Services

      Student Services -
  A Guide for University staff

   Academic Year 2008/09
                                                                       Guide to Student Services 08/09

Contents                                                                            Page

The Department of Student Services                                                  3

Referring students to specialised services                                          4

Quick A-Z Referral Guide to Student Services                                        7

Our Services

       Accommodation Bureau                                                        10

       Advice, Information & Funding Service                                       12

       Career Development & Employment Service                                     13

       Chaplaincy                                                                  15

       Childcare Service                                                           16

       Counselling & Wellbeing Service                                             17

            o The Role of the Counselling Service in Mitigating
              Circumstances                                                         18

       Disabilities & Dyslexia Service                                             20
           o Supporting students with disabilities –
               issues regarding disclosure                                          21

       Student Development & Activities Service                                    24

Summary of contact details                                                          26

An on-line copy of this booklet is available at

                                                            Guide to Student Services 08/09

Department of Student Services

The Department offers a range of information, advice, guidance and support to
students of the University on areas including;

      finances and funding, including debt advice

      visa renewals and immigration regulations

      provisions for disabled and dyslexic students

      careers information and guidance

      employment opportunities while studying

      volunteering and mentoring opportunities

      placement preparation and support

      personal and emotional difficulties

      matters of faith or spirituality

      childcare facilities at the University

      development of student opportunity projects

      issuing and administration of student discount cards

We also offer services to staff in support of their work with students, for example
information to assist in the teaching of disabled students, consultation regarding
concerns about students with possible mental health issues or input into the
curriculum in regard to employability issues.

It is our intention to offer the best services possible given resources available and
our knowledge of student needs. In order to provide the most wide reaching access
to services we have developed an extensive website, which is available externally as
well as internally therefore allowing students access from anywhere. We have
physical points of delivery on each campus where students can visit and where they
can access a range of information and meet with specialist staff. Staff are available
by phone, email, drop-in or appointment. Some staff also run helpdesks, workshops
or input directly to students in their teaching time.

Student Services is committed to high standards and to innovation, taking an
approach which is most suited to the needs of our student body and which fits and
maximises the resources we can access. For the quality of its work the Department –
was awarded the matrix Quality Standard for Information, Advice and Guidance in
2005, and gained re-accreditation in 2007. The Department also received the matrix
Excellence Award in 2006 in recognition of its ongoing contribution to the delivery of
high quality standards and the way in which it had used the matrix framework as a
tool for structural and cultural change post merger.

                                                           Guide to Student Services 08/09

This document is intended as a brief guide to our services. Please contact us for
further information. We welcome any comments that you may have about any aspect
of our provision.

Main sites and contact details:
 City campus                                London North campus

 Student Services Centre                    Student Services Centre
 Calcutta House                             Tower Building
 Old Castle Street                          166-220 Holloway Road
 London                                     London
 E1 7NT                                     N7 8DB

 020 7320 2370                              020 7133 2094

 Email:                                     Email:  


Referring students to specialised services
Many students who come to see you will have other questions or difficulties that you
cannot help with and you will need to refer them to more appropriate sources of
support. Apart from Student Services this will include Finance, the International
Office, Registries etc.

How this is done can be crucial. Many students complain about being passed from
one agency to another within the University, so being as precise as possible when
referring students is important. Some students may be emotionally fragile and they
may need particular support when being referred, e.g. to know the name of the
person they are being referred to, or to have had an appointment made for them in

It helps to be specific about where you are sending students. Many students get lost,
literally and figuratively! Rather than sending students to Student Services give a
more precise location, e.g. the Disability & Dyslexia Service in the Student Services
Centre, just off the Piazza in the Tower Building. Student should check in with the
reception staff when they go in as they can direct students to the relevant service. If
you don't have information about opening hours to hand, you could call to check. If
you can't get an answer from a specific office during the day Student Services may
know the answer, or in the evening, the reception staff at main entrances are a mine
of information.

Many students arrive at the intended destination but are unclear as to why they have
been sent there so it may be best to write the information down for the student and to
suggest that they may wish to show this to staff at the other end.

                                                            Guide to Student Services 08/09

Be mindful when dealing with students who are distressed. It can be very difficult
and upsetting to be faced with a student who is crying, angry or who appears to have
significant mental health problems. It may be important not to immediately refer the
student to someone else before you have had the opportunity to assess the
situation. Some upset students need only 5 minutes of a sympathetic ear (and they
often prefer this to be a known academic) and they will be fine. Others will need to
see a counsellor or perhaps, in some extreme and unusual cases, students with
mental health problems will need an ambulance. The Counselling & Wellbeing
Service will be very happy to advise you in any situations like this - just call them on
x 2370 (City) or x 2093 (North).

The following are some of the circumstances when it would be ethical and
appropriate for you to make a referral.

      There are specialist services that are appropriate for the student to make use
       of e.g. the Counselling & Wellbeing Service.

      The student needs information which can only be provided by specific staff
       (see below).

      The student wishes to be referred.

      The student wishes to be supported in a way that is not possible given the
       constraints of your role.

      The student needs medical attention.

      The student may be experiencing severe mental health problems and will
       need intensive care and support.

      You perceive the student to be at real risk of harm to themselves or to others.

       Personal Academic Advisers should consult their Academic Leader in the first
       place, who may suggest a change of PAA for the student in question:

      You experience very strong feelings of attraction or dislike toward the student.

      You discover that you and the student have a close relationship in common.

      The student persistently fails to respond constructively to your interventions
       and may be helped more effectively by someone else.

  The following are situations where you must refer elsewhere or follow
  specific procedures. We have indicated who you should contact in the first

Immigration and visas

          You must not give any advice or information relating to immigration or
           visa matters. This is subject to very strict regulation by the Home Office

                                                             Guide to Student Services 08/09

          and only named staff within Student Services are qualified to advise. Any
          other member of staff giving advice risks imprisonment in the worst case.
          Refer all queries directly to Student Services. Please telephone ex 2094 at
          North campus and ex 2370 at City campus to find out about drop in times
          for students or to make an appointment. State the reason for the referral
          and the date on the Student Services referral card when referring to
          Student Services. Please note the date of the referral on the student‟s file
          in the UG Centre.

Disabled and dyslexic students

         You must follow a specific set of guidelines if a student discloses a
          disability to you. There are legal implications for the University if you do
          not. A copy of these guidelines is on page 19.

         It is the responsibility of the Disabilities & Dyslexia Service (DDS) to
          determine “reasonable adjustments” for individual students. You should
          not make recommendations on behalf of individual students without
          consulting with the DDS. Please contact the service on 020 7133 2188. It is
          very important that we are consistent across the institution with regard to

Concerns about suicide or other self harm

         You should refer a student to the Counselling & Wellbeing Service if you
          have concerns that they may be feeling suicidal or self-harming. If the
          student declines, you should call the Counselling & Wellbeing Service and
          discuss the situation in confidence so that they can assess the possibility
          of any further intervention.


         Do not give students advice about funding. This is a very complex area
          indeed, even for specialist staff, and the wrong advice could be to the
          serious detriment of the student, (it could also put you at risk of a later
          legal challenge for giving bad advice). You will have access to information
          sheets provided by Student Services and other areas, these can be given
          to students and they can be referred to the web. Refer all queries directly
          to Student Services. You should do this by telephoning ex 2094 at North
          campus and ex 2370 at City campus to find out about drop in times for
          students or to make an appointment. Please state the reason for the
          referral and the date on the Student Services referral card when referring
          to Student Services. Please note the date of the referral on the student‟s
          file in the UG Centre.

       You must also be aware that there are funding implications for home UG
          students who withdraw from their courses. If you are advising a student
          who wishes to withdraw, you must also refer them to Student Services (as
          outlined above) to talk to a Student Advice, Information & Funding Officer
          about the financial implications of withdrawing.

                                                      Guide to Student Services 08/09

Quick A-Z Referral Guide to Student Services
AIFS: Student Advice, Information & Funding Service
CDES: Career Development & Employment Service
CW: Counselling & Wellbeing Service
DDS: Disability & Dyslexia Service
PAS: Participation & Activities Service
ACC: Student Accommodation
SDAS: Student Development and Activities Service

Query                                           Which service can help?
Abuse – experiences of                          CW
Academic support workers                        DDS
Access to Learning Fund                         AIFS
Accreditation schemes for volunteering          SDAS
Addictions                                      CW
Alcohol problems                                CW
Alumni                                          CDES
Anxiety                                         CW
Asylum seekers                                  AIFS
Bereavement                                     CW, Chaplaincy
Bank account – How to open one                  AIFS
Buddying                                        SDAS
Careers advice and guidance                     CDES
Career planning                                 CDES
Changing course – financial implications        AIFS
Childcare in the community                      Reception (North campus)
Clubs & Societies                               SDAS
Community work                                  SDAS
Conduct (advice and information on University   AIFS
regulations re Academic and other misconduct)
Covering letter – How to write one              CDES
Council tax                                     AIFS
Cults                                           Chaplaincy
CV writing                                      CDES
Debt (specialist debt advice for students)      AIFS
Depression                                      CW
Destination of Leavers from Higher Educations   CDES
Disabled Students Allowances (DSA)              DDS
Discount cards (TfL, NUS, Rail)                 SDAS
Discrimination – experiences of                 CW
Drug problems                                   CW
Dyspraxia                                       DDS
Dyslexia                                        DDS
Eating issues                                   CW
Emergency accommodation                         ACC
Emotional issues                                CW, Chaplaincy
Employability                                   CDES
Employer events                                 CDES

                                                          Guide to Student Services 08/09

Employer links                                     CDES
Employment online                                  CDES
Exam Anxiety                                       CW
Exam arrangements for disabled/dyslexic            DDS
Existential issues                                 CW
Faith information                                  Chaplaincy
Family problems                                    CW, Chaplaincy
Fee status                                         AIFS
Finance for students                               AIFS
GP – Finding a General Practitioner in your area   AIFS
Give it a Go Programme                             SDAS
Harassment in the University                       CW
Homesickness                                       CW, Chaplaincy
Identity issues (cultural / personal)              CW
Job application                                    CDES
Job interview                                      CDES
Job search – Job                                   CDES
Labour market intelligence                         CDES
Life crisis/changes                                CW Chaplaincy
Local facilities in the area                       AIFS
Loneliness                                         CW
Mental health issues                               DDS, CW
Mentoring                                          SDAS
Mitigating circumstances                           CW, AIFS
Money                                              AIFS
Motivation issues                                  CW
Muslim students                                    Chaplaincy
Needs assessment for disabled/dyslexic             DDS
Nursery places                                     Reception (North campus)
Personal relationships                             CW, Chaplaincy
Praying                                            Chaplaincy
Psychometric testing                               CDES
Refugees                                           AIFS
Religious calendar                                 Chaplaincy
Reasonable adjustments – General information       DDS
Self harm                                          CW
SENDA – General information                        DDS
Sex and sexuality – problems with                  CW
Spiritual matters                                  Chaplaincy
Student Academic Support/provide assistance        SDAS
Student Development                                SDAS
Student Finances                                   AIFS
Student Funding                                    AIFS
Student Welcome Team                               SDAS
Suicidal thoughts                                  CW
Transferring to other University                   AIFS/CDES
Trauma                                             CW
Tutoring for dyslexic students                     DDS

                                          Guide to Student Services 08/09

Visa renewal                        AIFS
Volunteering – staff and students   SDAS
Withdrawal from course              AIFS/CDES
Work experience advice              CDES
Working abroad                      CDES
Work placement advice               CDES
Worship                             Chaplaincy

                                                             Guide to Student Services 08/09

Our services

Accommodation Bureau

Service email:    

Service website:  

Telephone (North):          020 7133 3998
Telephone (City):           020 7320 4998
Fax (North):                020 7133 3997

North Campus Office

SHG 36, Stapleton House
277-281 Holloway Road
London N7 8HN

City Campus Office

Room 107, Calcutta House
Old Castle Street,
London E1 7NT

The Student Accommodation Bureau is here to help all students, both before and
during their time studying at the University with any accommodation related issue.

We offer students:

      an advice and information service on the range of accommodation options;
       halls of residence, hostels, homestay and private rented accommodation;

      a daily drop-in service between 11.00 and16.00, at both campuses, all year
       round (provided at the above addresses);

      students can also contact the service via telephone and email or visit our
       website for information on accommodation and the services we provide;

      full management of The Arcade Hall (the only London Metropolitan University
       Hall of Residence), from application through the allocation process to day to
       day building management;

      regularly updated lists of a range of private halls of residence (with a variety of
       prices, facilities and locations);

      regularly updated lists of short-term accommodation close to both campuses
       (Bed and Breakfasts and Hotels);

      regularly updated lists of hostels across London suitable for students;

                                                           Guide to Student Services 08/09

      information on emergency accommodation;

      an interactive web service ( with information and
       advice on privately rented accommodation, including lists of adverts from
       Landlords and Estate Agents;

      a series of House Hunting events throughout the summer to help introduce
       students to the process of finding private rented accommodation;

      information for guest/visiting lecturers on suitable accommodation options;

      information for students under the age of 18 on suitable accommodation

      a specialist member of staff to work with international students.

There is no referral system. Student and staff are free to contact the service by
telephone, email or in person at our drop-in service whenever they need to.

                                                          Guide to Student Services 08/09

Advice, Information & Funding Service
Service email:
                     International student queries)
Service website:

Telephone:           020 7133 2726 (N)
                     020 7133 2370 (C)

The Service offers information and guidance to help students resolve a wide range of
practical problems.

We offer students

   advice and information on student finances, funding and grant eligibility and
    entitlement , including debt advice;
   assistance with renewing student visas and immigration regulations for
    international students;
   advice on student conduct;
   information on local facilities (medical, shops, banks etc);
   information for students with children;
   advice on transferring to other universities;
   advice on repeating periods of study and on the financial impact of withdrawals
    and intermission;
   advice on welfare benefits.

In addition to the above we offer staff

   advice and information on visa and immigration regulations for international
   interpretation of DIUS funding regulations and Home Office visa regulations.

    Mandatory referral:
       You must not give any advice or information relating to immigration or visa
         matters. Refer all queries directly to Student Services.

    Strongly recommended referral:
        Advice on the financial implications of a change of course, intermission or
          withdrawal from studying
        Any finance and funding advice, e.g. dealings with Local Education
          Authorities, Student Loan Company

                                                            Guide to Student Services 08/09

Career Development & Employment Service
Service email:

Service website:

Telephone:            020 7133 2094 (N)
                      020 7320 2380 (C)

The Service aims to enable current and past students to make informed decisions
about their career choices, to develop their skills and to help students fulfil their
potential by improving their employability.

Careers information and guidance

We offer students;

       career advice, guidance and information;
       help with developing their employability skills both on an individual basis and
        through teaching in the curriculum;
       psychometric testing;
       direct contact with employers;
       a range of events including part-time Jobs Fair, Teacher Recruitment Fair,
        employer presentations, workshops and focussed careers days;
       placement preparation and support.

Employment Service

        assists students with finding term-time, vacation and graduate employment;
       offers advice to students and employers about legislation and good practice.

Work Based Learning and Placement Development

       supporting students finding work placements as part of the Professional Work
        Placement module;
       provides workshops, guidance and advice to make success work placement

Data analysis

       provides information about the graduate labour market;
       produces Destinations of Leavers of Higher Education Survey (DLHE)
       the DLHE 2005-06 report is available at

In addition to the above we offer staff

   graduate labour market intelligence: Destination of Leavers of Higher Education
    survey and other statistical monitoring;
   help with integrating employability into the curriculum;

                                                      Guide to Student Services 08/09

   assistance with the development of the Personal Development Portfolios;
   customised workshops for your students;
   additional resources including teaching resource pack, leaflets, information
    sheets, employer information.

                                                           Guide to Student Services 08/09

The Chaplaincy
North - TM 308b
City Calcutta House - CMGN38
Service email:

Service website:

Chaplaincy telephone number:      0207 7133 2030/2813 (N)
                                  0207 7320 2379 (C)

The Chaplaincy team aims to identify and meet the religious, spiritual and pastoral
needs of students and staff regardless of their faith or spiritual background. Through
providing a safe space we encourage students to talk through any issues that they
may have and help them to understand where their faith fits in to life at university.

We offer

      non judgemental support and guidance;
      help with the organisation of group discussions and prayer groups as
      faith related information, resources and referrals;
      a range of events and activities for students;
      information and advice about rites of passage such as initiations, weddings
       and funerals;;
      sign documents as true copies.

In addition to the above we can offer staff

      information on the religious calendar which may affect students during their
      support and guidance for staff of all faiths and none;
      faith awareness training.

                                                            Guide to Student Services 08/09

Childcare Service
Service email:

Service website:

Information about the nurseries:            020 7320 2370
(including registration and waiting list)

The University has two nurseries offering care and education for children aged 2-5
years old. The nurseries work towards the Early Learning Goals (foundation stage)
and offer an educational programme which is subject to regular inspection of the
nursery premises to ensure that day to day practices and interactions with
children/parents and staff are in accordance with Ofsted and local authority
regulations, and the Children‟s Act (1989), and any subsequent amendments or

NB refer all queries regarding benefits or other help for students with children to the
Advice, Information and Funding Service.

We offer students

    quality care and education;
   48 nursery places at our nursery in Hornsey Road, North Campus and 20 nursery
    places at our nursery in Tower Hill, City Campus;
   subsidised fees and up to five free nursery sessions for qualifying 3 and 4 year
   a limited summer service for students on placements at our nursery in Hornsey
    Road, North Campus;
   drop-in facilities, subject to availability.

We offer staff

   quality care and education;
   nursery places for their own children;
   an extended service over the summer vacation after the end of term, North
    campus only;
   differentiated fees operated in two bands based on pay point and up to five free
    nursery sessions for qualifying 3 and 4 years olds.

                                                             Guide to Student Services 08/09

Counselling Wellbeing Service
Service email:


Telephone:           020 7133 2093 (N)
                     020 7320 2370 (C)


We offer time-limited counselling to students in relation to any emotional or
psychological problem they may be experiencing during their university career. This
includes referring them to external agencies where appropriate.

We offer students

   professional counselling - confidential help with personal and emotional
    difficulties, i.e. problems with studies and exams, personal relationships, identity,
    loneliness, anxiety, depression, suicidal feelings, homesickness, family problems,
    sex and sexuality, cultural issues, trauma, life changes, bereavement and loss,
    eating difficulties, drug or alcohol problems, life crises, mental health issues,
    experiences of abuse or discrimination and many others;
   guidance for students regarding mitigating circumstances and appeals – NB we
    generally only support claims for mitigation where a student has already used
    the Service. In some exceptional circumstances we may be able to support
    students who have not already used the Services. Please do not give students
    the impression that support will be automatic;
   self help materials including CD/MP3 programmes and self help booklets;
   group work on specific issues, e.g. art therapy for personal development;
    mindfulness, relaxation and meditation, motivation and self esteem;
   referrals to agencies outside the University.

In addition to the above we offer staff

   assistance in addressing concerns about individual students;
   in-house workshops and training;
   a one-off consultation on personal and emotional difficulties, with a view to
    external referral.

Strongly recommended referral:

You should refer a student to the Counselling & Wellbeing Service if you have
concerns that they may be feeling suicidal or self-harming. If the student declines,
you should call the Counselling & Wellbeing Service and discuss the situation in
confidence so that they can assess the possibility of any further intervention.

                                                            Guide to Student Services 08/09

The Role of the Counselling & Wellbeing Service in Mitigating Circumstances

Support from the Counselling & Wellbeing Service with mitigating circumstances is
not an automatic process since the counsellor doing so must feel confident about
verifying the circumstances described. There are indeed times when the Service will
refuse to support a student who is in regular counselling. Students who make regular
requests for support may also be refused since to offer support might be in breech of
regulations: „students are expected to take responsibility for meeting the
requirements of their academic course and managing any long-term situation which
impacts on this course‟.

Requests for supporting letters may be considered in the following situations:

(a) The student has genuine mitigating circumstances as outlined in current
University policy.

(b) The student has been working with the counsellor over a period of time (e.g. a
six-session contract).

(c) The student has presented for the first time at a drop-in, and the counsellor
believes him/her to have good reasons for not having presented earlier, for example,
the student is in emotional turmoil and was unable to access counselling earlier
because of his/her emotional state.

(d) The Counselling & Wellbeing Service can reasonably comment on the
circumstances (the counsellor can verify that the student is in distress but not
necessarily that a particular event has taken place).

(e) The student has genuine mitigating circumstances as outlined in current
University policy and does not have other evidence, e.g. a GP certificate.

There are various circumstances where Counselling & Wellbeing Service verification
is not necessary or which make it difficult for the Service to verify the application:

   (a) The student does not need validation since he/she has another form of
       evidence, e.g. a doctor‟s letter.

   (b) The student needs alternative validation, e.g. he/she is a victim of a crime
       which the Service cannot verify or the student missed an exam because trains
       were extraordinarily delayed.

   (c) The student has not been to see a University counsellor before.

   (d) The student who has not been to see a University counsellor in recent times.

   (e) The student who comes for mitigation only and is unwilling to accept ongoing
       counselling or other help to manage his/her difficulties.

There are a few limited times when the Counselling & Wellbeing Service might
support someone who has come at short notice and is not in regular counselling.
However, there are no clear guidelines about this since it depends on individual
circumstances. Examples might include:

                                                            Guide to Student Services 08/09

   (a) The student who has experienced a significant event in the days or immediate
       weeks before their life has clearly fallen apart;

   (b) The student, affected by mental health issues, who has been in a state of
       dissociation and for the same reasons was not able to access counselling

The counsellor will make a decision on the basis of hearing the client‟s explanation
and reading what is written on the student‟s supporting statement. In the statement,
students must present a clear picture of their circumstances without necessarily
going into intimate details. It should be made clear how events have affected his/her
work and specific assignments or exams. Where appropriate, reference should be
made to what has been done to manage the problem(s).

Counsellors will not forward information about a student‟s claim for mitigating
circumstances to tutors or other staff. It is also important to point out that, whilst
weight is given to supporting signatures from the Counselling & Wellbeing Service
they are not a guarantee that the application will be accepted.

                                                          Guide to Student Services 08/09

Disabilities & Dyslexia Service
Service email:

Service website:

Telephone:          North         020 7133 2188
                    City          020 7320 2370

Acting Service Manager            Carol Jones
020 7320 1094           

The Disabilities & Dyslexia Service provides advice, information and support for
disabled and students with specific learning difficulties, such as dyslexia or

We offer students:
 advice, information and guidance relating to their needs;
 assistance to apply for the external government funding (Disabled Students‟
  Allowances) to enable them to identify their support need and „buy in‟ support;
 dissemination of support requirements via Internal Needs Assessment Reports;
  referrals for special examination arrangements, special library arrangements etc.
 liaison with academic and professional service departments on their behalf;
 assistance to find academic support workers and provision of relevant training;
 screening and assistance to organise psychological assessments to identify a
  Specific Learning Difficulty (e.g. dyslexia);
 specialist ICT resources on each campus;
 assistance to arrange specialist I.T. and tutorial support (maybe in-house).

We offer staff
   training and awareness raising sessions across the institution regarding
      disability legislation.

Mandatory referral:
 Advice on disability legislation;
 Needs assessments, screenings and psychological assessments;
 Reasonable adjustments, both formal and informal.
NB You must follow a specific set of guidelines if a student discloses a
disability to you. There are legal implications for the University if you do not. A
copy of these guidelines is on page 16.

                                                            Guide to Student Services 08/09

Supporting students with disabilities – issues regarding disclosure
Overview of legislation addressing the needs of disabled students
“The Disability Equality Duty (DED) came into force on 4 December 2006, requiring
all public authorities (including HEIs) to give due regard to disability equality. The
DED signalled a step change for public authorities, requiring them to think and act
proactively to promote disability equality. The DED compliments the existing anti-
discrimination legislation by taking an institution wide approach, alongside the
individual rights for disabled people already in place in the Disability Discrimination
Act (DDA).

What do public authorities need to do to meet the DED?
The DED, or the general duty, requires every public authority, in carrying out its
functions, to have due regard to the need to:
· promote equality of opportunity between disabled people and other people;
· eliminate discrimination that is unlawful under the Act;
· eliminate disability related harassment;
· promote positive attitudes towards disabled people;
· encourage participation by disabled people in public life;
· take steps to take account of disabled people‟s needs, even where that involves
treating disabled people more favourably.

Certain public authorities, as listed in the regulations made under the Act, are also
required to produce and publish a Disability Equality Scheme (DES). This includes
all publicly funded Higher Education Institutions (HEIs). A DES provides a framework
to assist authorities in planning, delivering and evaluating action to meet the general
duty and to report on these activities. Disabled people must be involved in the
development of the scheme".

(quoted from

The London Met DES is on the Student Services website.

Assessing the needs of disabled students
Although HEIs have a continuing duty to anticipate the needs of disabled students
they are also required to take reasonable steps to find out if a student is disabled at
each point of contact, pre-entry, at entry and while studying on a course.
Students can disclose a disability on their UCAS or application form; a copy of this is
then sent to the Disabilities & Dyslexia Service. The Service makes contact with the
student and begins the process of identifying and arranging support for their needs.
Following an assessment the Service sends an Internal Needs Assessment Report
(INAR) to the Undergraduate or Postgraduate Centre from where it is passed to staff
who require the information to implement adjustments. An INAR is a short report
detailing the “reasonable adjustments” needed in the case of each individual
disabled student. The Disabilities & Dyslexia Service also makes specific
arrangements with the Department of Systems and Services on behalf of disabled

Some disabled students are reluctant to disclose their disability at an early stage and
may only choose to do so when they feel confident that the institution will understand
and support their needs or when they have established a rapport or good

                                                              Guide to Student Services 08/09

relationship with one particular member of staff. Other students may not be aware of
their disability, for example, that they have dyslexia when they join the University or
may have been unaware that their condition, e.g. asthma or M.E., counts as a

A student may disclose a disability when:
       applying for accommodation;
       joining the library;
       starting a new module or a new year of study;
       registering for examinations;
       registering for a field trip, study abroad or arranging a placement;
       at a tutorial with a personal tutor, programme convenor, module leader, etc;.
       obtaining financial, personal or careers advice and support;
       experiencing difficulties with their programme of study;
If a student tells a member of staff – and only that one member of staff – about their
disability the University may still be “deemed to know” and be expected to make
“reasonable adjustments”. Hence it is vital to complete a Disclosure Authorisation

What to do if a student discloses a disability to you or if you are concerned about a
student with a disability.

      Ask if he / she has had contact with the Disabilities & Dyslexia Service (DDS).
       Provide contact details and the website address;

      Explain the positive benefits of disclosure, i.e. that “reasonable adjustments”
       can be made within the curriculum and within the environment to meet their

      Encourage them to either contact the DDS or allow you to do so on their

If the student agrees that you can contact DDS on their behalf ask them to sign
Section A (1) of the Disclosure Authorisation Form and send it in a sealed
envelope marked “strictly confidential” to the Disabilities & Dyslexia Service at either
North or City Campus. Forms available at

If the student prefers to contact DDS him / herself, ask them to sign Section A (2) of
the Disclosure Authorisation Form and send it in a sealed envelope marked
“strictly confidential” to the Disabilities & Dyslexia Service, Student Services at either
North or City Campus.

If the student does not wish the information to be shared with anyone else in the
University, you should explain that you recognise their right to do this but that it will
limit the support or “reasonable adjustments” which can be offered. Then ask the
student to sign Part B of the Disclosure Authorisation Form and send it in a
sealed envelope marked “strictly confidential” to the University Secretary, Room
M16, North Campus

                                                            Guide to Student Services 08/09

   Inform the student that they can review this decision at any point during their time
    at University;

   You are still expected to put in place any „reasonable adjustments‟ which can be
    implemented without compromising the student‟s wish for non-disclosure;

   There may be times when a student discloses information that must be passed
    on, for example, if a student reveals that there is a serious and immediate threat
    to their own personal safety, the safety of others or to the rights of others. In
    these circumstances the member of staff should tell the student that they have a
    duty to pass the information on, for example, to your Head of Department or
    emergency services. DDA legislation does not override the Data Protection Act or
    Health and Safety legislation. This kind of situation is likely to be a very rare
    occurrence. If at all possible, we would advise you to seek guidance from
    the DDS, the Counselling Service or the University Secretary before acting.

                                                            Guide to Student Services 08/09

Student Development and Activities Service

Service emails:
Student Office:

Service websites:
Student Office:

Student Office:      North         020 7133 2769         City   020 7320 2233
Reach:               North         020 7133 4064         City   020 7320 1228

Service Manager                    Isabel Cormack
020 7320 1228            

The Student Development and Activities Service provides and supports student-
centred opportunities and out of curriculum activities for students across the
university. It comprises two student-facing functions, Reach and the Student Office.

The Student Office offers students:

      a general information reception service staffed by current students who have
       an understanding of the issues that students are facing and the needs they
       may have;
      the issue and administration of student discount card schemes including
       Student Oyster cards and NUS Extra discount card;
      assistance for Clubs and Societies to organise and carry out events and
       activities that enhance organisational skills, fulfil their goals and enable them
       to have fun;
      access to the University Choir and Orchestra which is open to both students
       and staff;
      a “Give it a Go” programme of activities to help students visit new places and
       meet new people.

Reach offers students:

      voluntary work experience in the community;
      peer-led support programmes;
      student academic support;
      professional Career Mentoring;
      specific skills development training;
      avenues to accreditation schemes for the extra and co-curricular activities that
       students currently participate in.

In addition to the above we offer staff

          management of the Student Welcome Team;

                                                   Guide to Student Services 08/09

   access to the University Choir and Orchestra;
   access to volunteering opportunities in the local community;

                                                             Guide to Student Services 08/09

Summary of contact details
Service            North Campus                   City Campus
Accommodation      Accommodation                  Accommodation
                   020 7133 3998                  020 7320
Advice,            advice.studentservices         advice.studentservices
Information and     
Funding Service    adviceinternational.students   adviceinternational.students
                   (for international student     (for international student
                   queries)                       queries)
Career             careers.studentservices        careers.studentservices
and                020 7133 2094                  020 7320 2380
Service            employmentservice@             employmentservice@
                   020 7320 1057/1089             020 7320 1057/1089

                   shortplacements@               shortplacements@
                   020 7133 2404/2342             020 7133 2404/2342
Chaplaincy         chaplaincy.studentservice      chaplaincy.studentservice
                   s                              s
                   020 7133 2030                  020 7320 2384
Childcare          childcare.studentservices      childcare.studentservices
                   020 7133 2329                  020 7133 2329
Counselling &      Counselling.studentservic      counselling.studentservic
Wellbeing          es                             es
                   020 7133 2093                  020 7320 2370
Disabilities and   dds.studentservices            dds.studentservices
Service            020 7133 2188                  Tel: 020 7320 2370
Student            studentoffice@                 studentoffice@
Development &      
Activities          020 7133 2769                  020 7320 2233
                   020 7133 2994                  020 7320 2233


To top