flood response 6_29_2011_1 by shuifanglj


									6/28/2011 10:30 am

Missouri River
Flood Response
Information and resources for residents of affected areas

Airport Information
Omaha’s airport is open and operating as normal. They do not anticipate any problems with airport operations.
The flooding is having no impact on airline schedules. If there is any change in status at the airport, public
announcements would be made and the information would be available on our website, www.flyoma.com.
There you can click on the red button which says ―Latest Missouri River Flood Information.‖ All roads leading
to the airport and airport-operated parking lots are open at this time.

Amtrak Information
Because of temporary levees built over BNSF Railway Co. tracks to help protect the cities of Omaha and
Bellevue, Neb., the Amtrak California Zephyr will detour between Lincoln, Neb., and Creston, Iowa. and will not
directly serve Omaha. Alternate transportation will be provided between Lincoln and Omaha (eastbound from
the San Francisco Bay, Train 6) and between Creston and Omaha (westbound from Chicago, Train 5).

Animal Shelter
Remember that vaccinations must be up to date.
Nebraska and Iowa
Hooves and Paws Rescue, helping owners place horses, dogs and cats place their animals in temporary foster
care due to flooding; (712) 527-3721 or (712) 355-3721, calls returned within 24 hours

Mills County
Nebraska Humane Society – 402-444-7800. They will hold each animal for up to 7 days, with a fee of $5 per
day per animal
Glenwood Veterinarian Clinic (712) 527-9454
Jan Faraci, large animals (712) 526-2850
Pam Westfall, 8 acres (712) 527-9282
Kim Collier, large animals, birds, etc. (712) 215-5656
Deb Patterson (712) 527-9383
Nancy Henggeler, pets (712) 462-4447
Amy Johnson, Red Oak (712) 621-5437
Kate Kaminsky – has land, bring fence or whatever is needed and care for animals yourself (712) 326-8923
Chris Brown, Red Oak – cattle; yard charge (712) 621-5131

Pottawattamie County
The Pottawattamie County Animal Shelter has moved out of Council Bluffs to a temporary location and will
house animals at the Secondary Roads Department's shop in Underwood, Iowa. Administration of the animal
shelter also has moved to Underwood, but the shelter has the same telephone number, (712) 366-0152.

 www.uwmidlands.org/211                                                         Dial 2-1-1 Toll Free
Callers who are requesting boxes due to the floods can call Salvation Army Disaster Services at (402) 510-

Business Assistance
Douglas County, Sarpy County
The Greater Omaha Chamber of Commerce is working with businesses in the area that have been affected by
the floods. If your business is searching for a temporary location or storage space, please contact Larry
Gomez (402) 978-7925 or Mike Bruening (402) 978-7935.

Pottawattamie County
The Council Bluffs Area Chamber of Commerce is working with businesses in the affected areas. If your
business is searching for a temporary location, please see the website. Please do not call the office.

Cass County (IA), Fremont County, Harrison County, Mills County, Page County, Pottawattamie County
The Iowa Western Community College Small Business Development Center is part of a state wide system
providing free services for small businesses and startups in Iowa. As with all of their consulting services, there
is no charge for the confidential assistance provided to prepare for disasters as well as assistance in the
aftermath of a disaster. Call (712) 325-3350 or (712) 256-6552.

The University of Nebraska at Omaha is offering resources and consulting to small businesses affected by
flooding through its Nebraska Business Development Center. Small businesses in danger of flood damage can
go to http://nbdc.unomaha.edu/about/floods.cfm, for more information.

Code Red Alert System
Code Red is an additional emergency notification system that will be important for communication during this
time. Residents are encouraged to sign up online:

Fremont County: www.co.fremont.ia.us (click on Emergency Management)
Mills County: www.millscoia.us
Pottawattamie County: www.pottcounty.com

Community Meetings
No additional meetings scheduled at this time.

Consumer Protection
Homeowners and businesses that have experienced flooding are asked to remain vigilant when it comes to
hiring services or purchasing goods. For tips on avoiding home repair scams, please visit the Nebraska Better
Business Bureau’s website at www.bbb.org.or the Attorney General’s website at www.ago.ne.gov. If you feel
you have been a victim of a clean-up or home improvement scam, contact the Attorney General’s Consumer
Protection Division at (800) 727-6432.

Damage Reports
Pottawattamie County
If your home or business has been damaged by flood waters, you have been evacuated, or your
home/business has ground water into your structure please register your damage at www.pottcounty.com. If
you do not have internet access, call the flood hotline to report your damage/evacuation, (712) 328-4672.

 www.uwmidlands.org/211                                                           Dial 2-1-1 Toll Free
Iowa (other than Pottawattamie County)
The Iowa Homeland Security and Emergency Management Division is asking residents and businesses in
counties along the Missouri River to begin estimating the amount of flood damage to their property. Damage
information may be used to assist in the preparation of a request for federal disaster aid.
Flood-impacted residents in Woodbury, Monona, Harrison, Pottawattamie, Mills and Fremont counties, are
asked to contact the Iowa Concern Hotline at 1-800-447-1985 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

Callers to the Iowa Concern Hotline should be prepared to provide information and answers to the following
        Current address and phone number
        Address of flood-affected home or business
        Is this a rental property?
        Is this a primary or vacation home?
        Is the business currently open or closed due to flooding?
        Have you lost your job because of flooding?
        Do you have flood insurance?
        How many floors are flooded, including the basement?
        How deep is the water on the topmost floor that is flooded?

Flood damage to farm residences may be reported to the Iowa Concern Hotline. Damage to other agricultural
buildings, equipment and property should be reported to the local office of the Farm Service Agency.

A Wednesday, June 29 noon deadline has been set for individual damage assessment reports. The deadline
will allow for the Nebraska Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) in conjunction with the Federal
Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the National Guard to begin individual damage assessments on
Thursday, June 30. State officials are seeking information from anyone affected by flooding across Nebraska
in order to begin assessing personal and business damages or losses due to flooding. Information will be used
to determine whether the state meets federal thresholds for individual assistance. Anyone affected by current
flooding in Nebraska is asked to call the NEMA Public toll-free hotlines at either (855) 211-2453 or (855) 211-
2454. The hotline is staffed daily from 8 am-8 pm, Central Time. Property reports can also be submitted online
at: http://www.nema.ne.gov/newsroom/home-damage-contact.html.

Flooded homes are dangerous. Do not go back to a damaged building to assess damage for a NEMA
requested report. While NEMA wants to hear from people regarding their property damage caused by severe
thunderstorms and flooding, safety should be the first priority. Information you give to the hotline is preliminary
and will not be the determining factor in whether you receive assistance.

Dirt or Berm Resources
Mills County
Individuals with questions should call the Mills County Engineer’s Office at (712) 527-4873. No permits are
required. Do not block drainage ditches or place dirt on public property. Dirt may be available from
Thieschafer (712) 366-9661 or Stroud (712) 527-5249.

Donations of items such as clothing, food, furniture, etc, are NOT needed at this time. Unsolicited
donations cause additional staffing and storage problems that local officials do not have the resources to

 www.uwmidlands.org/211                                                             Dial 2-1-1 Toll Free
Salvation Army is currently collecting cleaning supplies to distribute to those whose homes have been
impacted by the flood. Items most needed include bottled water, Gatorade, rubber gloves, buckets,
disinfectant, brushes, brooms, mops and safety goggles. Donations may be dropped off at any Omaha Fire
Department Fire Station.

Supplies for clean-up kits may also be dropped off at:
Action News 3, 10714 Mockingbird Drive; Journal Broadcast Radio, 5030 N. 72 Street;
The Salvation Army, 3612 Cuming Street
Or any of the CBSHOME Real Estate locations below:
               14769 California Street                 11511 South 42nd Street, Suite 106
               11213 Davenport Street                  16949 Lakeside Hills Plaza
               3506 North 147 Street, Suite 200        3090 Twin Creek Drive, Bellevue
               12112 Pacific Street                    13110 West Dodge Road
Note: Donation drop off hours at CBSHOME Real Estate locations: Monday- Friday, 8 am-5 pm and Saturday
and Sunday, 10 am-3 pm.

Nebraska and Iowa
Please do not send any unsolicited items. Individuals wishing to donate items may register at
www.volunteersolutions.org/omaha. Click ―Product/Service Donations‖ at the top of the page. You can then
view a list of needs that has been posted by agencies, or if you have an unsolicited item to donate you can
click the ―Donate an Item‖ Link to post the available item. Only agencies will be able to view the information
you provide, and if your product or service is needed they will contact you directly.

Mills County
The Mills County Community Foundation, an affiliate of the Omaha Community Foundation, has established
the Mills County Flood Fund. All that’s needed is cash or a check of any amount made out to the Mills County
Flood Fund, your name and address. Drop off your donation at one of the bank locations below:
        First National Bank - Glenwood
        Great Western Bank - Glenwood
        Glenwood State Bank – Glenwood and Pacific Junction
        Houghton State Bank – Emerson
        Malvern Trust & Savings Bank - Malvern
Or mail to: Mills County Flood Fund, 302 South 36th Street, Suite 100, Omaha, NE 68131.
If you wish to make an online donation, go to http://omahafoundation.org/givenow and select ―Mills County
Flood Fund‖ from the dropdown list

Pottawattamie County
We encourage any monetary donations be made to reputable non-government agencies that provide disaster
services such as the American Red Cross, The Salvation Army, United Way or any other established disaster
response organization. We strongly discourage any item donation. We are unable to accommodate item
donation and have no current needs.

Emergency Disaster Declaration
The State of Nebraska asked for and received an emergency declaration from the President June 18 allowing
the Federal Emergency Management Agency to provide for federal assistance to help with protective
measures regarding flooding in 18 counties. The emergency declaration authorizes FEMA to identify, mobilize
and provide equipment and resources necessary to alleviate the impacts of the emergency in the counties of
Boyd, Burt, Cass, Cedar, Dakota, Dixon, Douglas, Garden, Knox, Lincoln, Morrill, Nemaha, Otoe, Richardson,
Sarpy, Scotts Bluff, Thurston, and Washington.

The emergency disaster declaration does not provide assistance for individual homeowners or businesses; it

 www.uwmidlands.org/211                                                          Dial 2-1-1 Toll Free
does aid communities by providing equipment and resources such as:
• Military helicopters to support sandbagging and levee protection
• Swift water rescue team (if needed)
• Additional support for traffic control (if needed)
• Commodities such as bottled water, prepared meals, blankets, cots (if needed)

The State of Nebraska has not yet requested a Presidential Disaster Declaration, which could allow for
government entities and individual assistance for homeowners, business owners and renters. The State of
Nebraska is conducting damage assessment on individual and public properties in an effort to determine if
thresholds have been met for a Presidential Disaster Declaration.
(See also ―Damage Reports‖)

This afternoon, June 27, 2011, President Obama issued a major disaster declaration for the State of Iowa
triggering the release of Federal funds to help communities recover from Flooding which occurred May 25,
2011, and continuing. Part of the declaration will provide federal funding to Fremont, Harrison, Mills, Monona,
Pottawattamie, and Woodbury counties under the Public Assistance Program. This funding will be available to
eligible public entities and select nonprofit agencies to cover costs incurred for implementing emergency
protective measures and for the anticipated need for removal of debris. The emergency disaster declaration
does not provide assistance for individual homeowners or businesses

Evacuation Information
Douglas County (Entire document may also be found at www.omahaflood.org)
The Omaha area is currently under a flood warning. Residents living in the following areas should be prepared
to participate in an evacuation, should future conditions warrant such action.

Area that may be evacuated:
If an immediate flood emergency is declared the following areas may be affected:
       • North of Ames Ave: All areas East of Florence Blvd.
       • South of Ames Ave: All areas East of 16th Street.
       • NOTE: See attached map. The possible evacuation area is shaded in red.

Notification methods:
Should an evacuation be necessary, residents in the affected area will be notified through the following
      • Local media (Television/Radio)
      • Internet websites and social media
                o www.omahaflood.org
                o Facebook: Douglas County Joint Information Center
                o Twitter: @douglascty JIC, #omahaflood, #2011MoRivFlood
      • Emergency Alert System (EAS)
      • Uniformed Fire and Police Personnel will be driving through the evacuation area making public
         address announcements and providing printed material with additional information.

Where to go:
Residents within the evacuation area should move West via main traffic routes. Law enforcement officers will
be providing traffic control to ensure a smooth and continuous flow of traffic towards the West. Main routes
      • Arthur C. Storz Expressway (Main Route)
      • Abbott Drive (Secondary Route)
      • An alternate route would be traveling West on Fort Street toward 16th Street.

Should water make either of these main routes become impassable due to water across the roadway,
 www.uwmidlands.org/211                                                           Dial 2-1-1 Toll Free
evacuating residents will be directed to alternate routes by law enforcement officers who are providing traffic

Anyone who has shelter needs should report to Omaha North High School at 36th Street and Ames Ave. (4401
N. 36th Street). Omaha North High School is NOT a shelter. Transportation will be provided to shelters if

General evacuation preparation information:
Residents who self-determine to leave or otherwise evacuate from their residence, or who evacuate as a result
of a notice received from City of Omaha officials, should consider the following prior to leaving their home:
     • Close and lock all doors and windows and leave window shades or drapes open.
     • Plug all lower level floor drains to keep water from backing up into the building.
     • Turn off water at the meter.
     • If possible, turn off your electricity at the main breaker box, and gas supply at the shut-off.

    • Leave a note on the front door with contact information such as cellular telephone number. The
      City of Omaha does NOT have a database to track homeowners who have vacated; therefore,
      residents should not call the city when attempting to track friends or relatives.
    • Do not leave pets behind or in the home. If residents evacuate to a shelter, plans should be
      made for pets; not all shelters accommodate pets.
    • Notify a family member or friend outside of the designated evacuation area that you are
      evacuating and your intended destination.

Plan for your personal evacuation needs ahead of time. Evacuees should bring:
    • Wallet/purse (Including personal identification with current address) If you do not have your current
      address on personal ID, please bring a utility bill with your address.
    • House and car keys
    • Eyeglasses
    • Medications (At least 3 days supply)
    • Clothing
    • Family pets
    • Cash and credit cards
    • Cell phones and chargers

These supplies may need to last for an indefinite period of time. It is suggested that persons bring at least
three (3) days of supplies to meet their individual needs. People who anticipate needing additional
transportation assistance due to special mobility needs should contact 211. Anyone in the evacuation area
that chooses NOT to leave should be aware that rescue at a later time may be delayed.

Additional flood preparation information can be obtained at:
    • Omahaflood.org
    • www.ready.gov/america/beinformed/floods/html
    • Calling 211

Fremont County
A mandatory evacuation is in effect in the South Hamburg area, between Hamburg and the Missouri River (south
end of the city).

A mandatory evacuation is in effect in western Fremont County, from I-29 west to the river. The recent order covers
much of the western third of the county and includes the communities of McPaul, Bartlett and Percival. In all, about
600 people are affected.

 www.uwmidlands.org/211                                                             Dial 2-1-1 Toll Free
Harrison County
No official evacuation order is in effect. Some residents are self-evacuating.
Assistance with evacuating (i.e. moving furniture, etc.) is being coordinated by specific individuals in each city.
Please contact them directly:
Mondamin – City Hall, (712) 646-2431          Modale – Lorraine Thomas, (712) 592-7722
Little Sioux – Ed Callor, (712) 216-0543      Missouri Valley – Rita Miller, (712) 642-3502

Mills County
A Mandatory Evacuation Order was issued today by the Mills County Board of Supervisors and Mills County
Emergency Management. The Evacuation area includes the following: West of Interstate 29 (I-29) and South of
Gaston Avenue to the Fremont County Line.

Due to the rise of interior ground water east of the Mills County Levee system, various roads in this area are
becoming impassable. The Levee System in Mills County is currently patrolled by the Iowa Army National Guard,
the Levee and Drainage District Staff and Emergency Management. There are no immediate threats from the Levee
system at this time.

Residents in the evacuation area are required to evacuate. If residents in this area need assistance with the
evacuation process, please contact the following agencies: Mills County Communication Center – 712-527-4871 or
Mills County Public Health at 712-527-4231. After business hours, please contact 2-1-1.

A copy of the Mandatory Evacuation Order and evacuation routes is being hand delivered to each residence in the
affected area.

Every effort will be made to keep utilities on in the affected area with the exception of areas with significant ground
water or road closures. At this time, disconnections will occur after 4 pm on Friday on Kane and Karnes W of 180th.
Changing safety conditions will be evaluated for any further disconnects. MidAmerican Energy will make every
effort to notify customers prior to disconnect.

Residents may access their property during daytime hrs as road conditions allow. Closed roads will be fenced and
considered impassable.

Individuals living between the Missouri River and the Loess Hills in Western Mills County should review the flood
inundation maps put out by the Army Corps of Engineers to determine the exact risk in their location; however, the
majority of this area is anticipated to be in a severe flood state. It is important that residents take steps now to plan
for the safety of themselves and their families.

Pottawattamie County
6/22, 4 p.m. - Council Bluffs residents were notified of a Level 1 Alert. This message was sent through
the Code Red Alert System: There is no immediate threat to the City of Council Bluffs. The City has
upgraded the flood status to Alert Level 1. An evacuation order is NOT being issued at this time. The City
recommends that you continue to make preparations to leave the area IF the need arises. You will be notified
in the event that the situation escalates.

No general evacuation has been recommended. Only a few homes on the ―wet―side of the levee (the river
side) have been evacuated. If the situation changes an emergency notification message will be made.

County residents (non-city) in the flood zone: Please heed any evacuation notice, you are not protected by
levees or protected by Agricultural levees that the Corp of Engineers cannot measure. Please let us know if
you need evacuation help due to illness etc. We are registering County residents that are in the flood plain. We
are maintaining a secure list in the County EOC prepared by the Sheriff’s Department so we know who is
evacuated and who is not. This list may become critical if another type of emergency develops. We have also
asked the Omaha Police Helicopter to use its infrared camera to check the evacuated residences to maintain
some security in the evacuated area along with the Sheriff’s Department boat.

 www.uwmidlands.org/211                                                                 Dial 2-1-1 Toll Free
Carter Lake has an evacuation plan coordinated by the Carter Lake Police.

If you would have special needs to evacuate please call the flood hotline at (712) 328-4672 so we can be
aware of your situation.

During the current flood event there is a possibility that a levee or flood protection system failure could require
a portion of the western and southern parts of Council Bluffs to be evacuated. The following evacuation plan
summary is intended to provide notification and evacuation messages to all affected residents and businesses
utilizing all communication avenues.

Alert Levels:
Level 1: An unusual or slowly developing event that may impact a levee system or a flood protection system.
Level 2: A flood control protection system component or levee is failing or failure may rapidly occur.
Level 3: Imminent failure of a flood protection system or levee or a failure is in progress
The 911 Communications Center will deliver area advisory and warning messages utilizing the Code Red
Emergency Alerting System. EAS (Emergency Alert system) broadcasts will be activated and broadcast
through the National Weather Service system and media outlets. The tornado warning sirens will be activated
in affected areas for Level 3 evacuations.
Level 1 Message:
A slowly developing flood event is occurring in the area. An evacuation order is not being issued at this time.
The City recommends that you make preparations to leave the area. You will be notified in the event that the
situation escalates. If you are unable to leave the areas on your own call (712) 328-4672. Do not call 911
unless it is an emergency.

Level 2 Message:
A flood protection system failure in the area is happening; please leave the area. Please report to the
Processing Center at Iowa Western Community College (unless a different site is advised). Your primary
evacuation route is (to be announced) and your secondary evacuation route is (to be announced). If you are
unable to leave on your own, call (712) 328-4672. Do not call 911 unless it is an emergency.

Level 3 Message:
Dangerous flooding is affecting your area now. You need to immediately evacuate the area. Please report to
the processing Center located at Iowa Western Community College (unless a different site is advised). Your
primary evacuation route is (to be announced) and you secondary evacuation route is(to be announced). If you
are unable to leave on your own, call 328-4672. Do not call 911 unless it is an emergency.

A transportation plan will go into effect and will assist evacuation of those with special needs. Buses and other
transportation vehicles are on call for flood emergencies and will be placed in the affected areas which will be
announced in the emergency messages.

Requests for evacuation transportation should be made to the flood hotline at (712-328-4672). You may pre-
register if you have special needs related to your evacuation by calling (712-328-4672). We are asking the
people who need help evacuating to limit their personal belongings to one bag and two pets. Evacuees should
limit themselves to one bag of belongings per person. Pets must be leashed or in a per carrier/portable

Sarpy County
At this time, there are voluntary evacuations occurring within Sarpy County, including the Bellevue area and
areas along the Missouri River. All evacuations at this time are voluntary.

 www.uwmidlands.org/211                                                             Dial 2-1-1 Toll Free
Food and Food Stamps
Mills County
Food Stamp applications are now available at the County Auditor’s office (712) 527-3146
Mills County Food Pantry, Barb Kaiman (712) 527-9238

People receiving SNAP (food stamps) who have lost food due to flood waters may be eligible for replacement
benefits, according to the Department of Health and Human Services. They should contact their DHHS
caseworker or call 1-800-383-4278 for more information.

Call 2-1-1 for contact information on additional food resources in all areas.

The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission is offering extended camp stays of up to 90 days for displaced
flood victims in selected state park campgrounds based on availability of campsites. Overnight camping fees
and park permit will be required. The fees range depending on park, campsite and facilities available. The park
permit is $20 for an annual, $10 for a duplicate and $4 for a daily. For more information concerning this
program people can contact the Game and Parks Commission at (402) 471-5586 during business hours.

The Red Cross will provide a written referral to verify that the person/family was displaced by the flooding. To
do this the person must visit a Red Cross site during business hours (current available sites listed below). The
person needs to bring a photo ID and a piece of mail which confirms they are residing at the address impacted
by the flooding. Remember, fees at parks apply and the Red Cross cannot cover fees.

Current Red Cross sites
• Lincoln—Cornhusker Red Cross Chapter, 220 Oakcreek Drive
    • Beatrice—Southeast Nebraska Red Cross Chapter, 205 N. fourth
    • Peru—Peru State College, Neal Hall, 17 Park Ave.
    • Omaha—Heartland Red Cross Chapter, 2912 S. 80th Ave.

Mills County
Individuals needing rent assistance may complete a form for General Relief at the Mills County Auditor’s office.
Private rentals or rental lists may be available by contacting the following phone numbers:
NP Dodge (712) 527-5008 or (402) 397-4900             ReMax Real Estate (712) 527-1234
Rubey Realty (712) 623-2724
Jim Hughes Real Estate (712) 527-3114 – 2 bedroom, $550
Ryan Sell (712) 520-5666 – 1 bedroom apartments, $425/month

Bob Malcom (712) 624-8845 – 2 bedroom, $525/month, 10 month lease required; refrigerator and stove
included, deposit negotiable
Lyndsie Sayers, Malvern (712) 527-0441- 2 bedroom apartment, $500
Paul Howard, Hastings (712) 527-0826 – 2 bedroom house, possible 1 bedroom upstairs
Tim McGann (712) 370-3497 – 1 bedroom apartment, $475/month, 2 bedroom $525/month; all appliances
provided; pets may be allowed
Sheryl Butler (402) 315-7732 – short term housing, upstairs with own bathroom, small refrigerator and
microwave; 2 rooms, small dog or caged animal allowed; other dogs already in home

Loess Hills Estates (712) 527-4062

 www.uwmidlands.org/211                                                                  Dial 2-1-1 Toll Free
Oak Creek Apartments, Red Oak (712) 623-2873 (stairs)
Mid Town, Atlantic (712) 243-3691 (handicap unit)

Camping options:
Pony Creek - $10/day, no maximum, no showers (712) 527-9685
Montgomery County Fairground Camping (712) 623-5127
Glenwood Lake Park - $22/day, $130/week, $400/month (712) 520-7275
Viking Lake State Park, Stanton
Waubonsie State Park, east on Highway 2 from I-29

Duane Fisher - room to park farm equipment on his land, (712) 527-9296

Washington County
The city of Blair is coordinating a short term housing option at a Dana College dormitory for those affected by
flooding. Must live or work in Washington County. This is not a hotel. Interested parties should begin the
application process, as the dorm will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis. There will be a fee ($150 per
month). Interested parties can also call the Blair Flood Hotline during office hours: (402) 426-8881.

Applications are available at:
Blair City Hall
Blair Chamber of Commerce
Blair city Website: www.blairnebraska.org

Mental Health Counseling
The Rural Response Hotline, (800) 464-0258, is available to farmers, ranchers, and ag-related businesses
experiencing stress from recent floods. No-cost vouchers and information on confidential mental health issues
for persons affected by the crisis are available.

Military Assistance
Impacted military families that need assistance due to any flooding issues should contact their unit commander
and first sergeant. The Airman and Family Readiness Center has multiple resources available for emergency

National Flood Insurance
Flood insurance is a financial decision you and your family need to discuss with an insurance agent. Details
about this program can be found at www.fema.gov/business/nfip/. Please be aware that in most cases there is
a 30 day waiting period before a new policy becomes effective.

Nuclear Power Plant Information
Cooper Nuclear Station, an electric power plant in southeast Nebraska, declared a ―Notification of Unusual
Event‖ Sunday, June 19 at 4:02 am. The declaration was anticipated by the power plant’s operators, who
closely tracked the river’s steady increase in elevation due to the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ releases from
dams upstream.
The notification was made as part of safety and emergency preparedness plan the station follows when
flooding conditions are in effect. The plan’s procedures dictate when the Missouri River’s water level reaches
42.5 feet, or greater than 899 feet above sea level, a notification of unusual event is declared.
There is no threat to plant employees or to the public; the plant continues to operate safely. Appropriate local,
county, state, and federal agencies were also notified.

 www.uwmidlands.org/211                                                            Dial 2-1-1 Toll Free
Public Health Information
Information on Tetanus, mosquitoes, West Nile, wells, sewer/septic issues, drinking water, flood clean up, etc.
may be found at local public health departments:
Cass County - Sarpy/Cass County Department of Health and Wellness – (402) 339-4334
Douglas County - Douglas County Health Department – (402) 444-7476
Fremont County - Southwest Iowa Home Health Services – (712) 374-2685
Harrison County - Harrison County Home & Public Health – (712) 644-2220
Mills County - Mills County Public Health – (712) 527-9699
Pottawattamie County - Council Bluffs Public Health Department – (712) 328-4666 (inside city limits) or
Visiting Nurse Association of Pottawattamie County – (712) 328-3990 (outside Council Bluffs)
Sarpy County - Sarpy/Cass County Department of Health and Wellness – (402) 339-4334
Washington County - Three Rivers Public Health Department – (402) 727-5396
Call 2-1-1 for contact information in other areas.
To prevent injury and infection, wash often with soap and water. You should wear protective clothing such as
hard-soled shoes, long pants, long-sleeved shirts and heavy work gloves. Take care of any wounds right away
by washing hands first, cleaning the wound with soap and water, patting the wound dry and applying a clean,
dry dressing; then see your doctor to determine if you need a tetanus shot. The best tetanus vaccine is one
that will also protect you from diptheria and pertussis (also called a Tdap). (See also ―Tetanus Shots‖)

Road and Park Closures
If you see water on the road, treat it as dangerous and change your route. In some cases low lying roads have
flooded before officials have become aware of them.

I-29 in Pottawattamie County – Both north- and southbound lanes of I-29 are now closed from milepost 54B
in Council Bluffs to milepost 71 near Loveland. Northbound I-29 travelers must exit at North 35th Street. All
ramps at the I-29/North 25th Street interchange (milepost 55) have been closed.

I-29 detour route for Council Bluffs/Omaha area:
        Detour starts at the I-29/680 interchange near Loveland, continues east on I-680, then southwest on I-
        80 into Council Bluffs
        I-80 east- and westbound remains open through Council Bluffs/Omaha

I-29 in Fremont County - The Iowa and Missouri departments of transportation have now officially closed
Interstate 29 from exit 10 (Iowa 2) in Iowa to the U.S. 136 interchange (exit 110) near Rock Port, Mo. This is
expected to be a long-term interstate closure. Also, the I-29 southbound exit ramp (exit 20) to Fremont County
Road J-24 near Thurman is closed.

       Traffic from southbound I-29 is being directed to Iowa 2 east to U.S. 275 north back on Iowa 2 east to
       U.S. 71 south through Iowa into Missouri and U.S. 136 west to I-29 in Missouri.
       For northbound and southbound I-29 travelers intending to go through Iowa, the detour begins in
       Kansas City. Take I-35 north through Iowa to I-90 west in Minnesota to I-29 south.

Alternative routes for northbound I-29 are as follows:
       To reach destinations south of Council Bluffs, continue from U.S. 136 in Missouri to U.S. 71 north to
       Iowa 2 west to I-29 north. (I-29 north is closed north from exit 55 in Council Bluffs to exit 71 (U.S. 30 at
       Missouri Valley)).
       Persons traveling to Sioux City can continue on U.S. 71 north to U.S. 20 west to Sioux City.
       Persons traveling to Council Bluffs/Omaha should stay on U.S. 71 north to Iowa 2 west into Council

 www.uwmidlands.org/211                                                             Dial 2-1-1 Toll Free
I-680 is closed from the I-29/680 interchange (exit 61 near Crescent) in Iowa to North 30th Street in Omaha,
Nebraska. (exit 13). This closure includes the Mormon Bridge across the Missouri River.

Douglas County
John J Pershing from Dick Collins Road to Ponca Road, and Ida Street from Crownpoint Avenue to Lindbergh
Plaza (which is along the levee) is closed. Riverfront Drive between Cuming and Dodge is closed.

Freedom and NP Dodge Parks are closed as well as the Lewis and Clark Landing. Lists and maps of trails
currently closed as a result of the flood can be found at the City of Omaha Parks and Recreation
Trails website.

Fremont County
Highway 2 - Iowa 2 is closed from I-29 in Iowa to Nebraska City. Both east-and westbound lanes are closed.
This is expected to be a longer-term closure.

Iowa 333 is closed from I-29 into Hamburg. Access to Hamburg is currently available via U.S. 275.

Harrison County
Hwy 30 – Blair Crossing into Iowa - This is temporarily closed. This closure will be for approximately 48 hours,
depending on equipment, weather, and other factors.

Mills County
Current road closures in this area include: 195th St closed from Paddock Ave to Rist Ave; Kane Ave closed
from Jesup to the West; Paddock Ave closed between 195th St and Painter Ave; Rist Ave closed at Raleigh
Rd; Quigg Ave closed at Painter Rd

Pottawattamie County
Big Lake Road (near park) and Gifford Road near Dog Bite Lane are closed. For a detailed map visit

Washington County
Hwy 30 – Blair Crossing to Iowa - This is temporarily closed. This closure will be for approximately 48 hours,
depending on equipment, weather, and other factors.

For residents east of 35 on P14 (Cottonwood Area) - all access is denied. County Road 30 is closed. The
detour signs that have been placed on Highway 133 are for the closing of Highway 30 and 75, not I-29.

Nebraska 5-1-1 - (800) 906-9069 – call for state highway and interstate information
The Nebraska Department of Roads (NDOR) recommends using highways 77 and 81 to and from Kansas.
NDOR discourages use of Highways 75 because of major construction and lane restrictions. Information
regarding road closures can be found at www.roads.ne.gov/flood/.

For Travelers Eastbound on I-80 from points West of York, NE, if you are intending to Travel North on I-29
once you reach Council Bluffs, IA, NDOR strongly suggests you consider taking US 81 North at York, NE, to I-
90 in South Dakota. This will allow you to avoid all of the detour traffic in Iowa.

Iowa 5-1-1 - call for automated road conditions, (or (800) 288-1047 if dialing from outside Iowa) or visit
www.511ia.org Due to the high volume of public inquiries about flooded roadways, the Iowa DOT has
established a temporary customer service phone line at (866) 452-8510; operators will be available from
7 a.m. – 9 p.m. daily, as long as there is a high demand for assistance. This phone line is specifically for
assisting travelers in navigating state roadway closings. Contact local officials for information regarding county
roads and city streets. Operators will help callers understand where roads are closed and direct them to any

 www.uwmidlands.org/211                                                            Dial 2-1-1 Toll Free
detours or possible alternative routes using Iowa, U.S. and interstate highways. Detailed detour maps will be
offered at www.511ia.org, as soon as they become available.

Individuals needing sandbags to protect private property will need to contact vendors directly. Information on
how to fill and use sandbags for flood-fighting activities should visit the US Army Corps of Engineer’s Website.
(Links to this and related information can be found at www.omahaflood.org)

Mills County
Sand by truckload:
Lyman Riley Concrete Company, $10/ton (402) 359-2522
Frank Leahy, $10/ton delivered (712) 624-9127

Midwestern Bags DM, 18x30 is 44 cents (563) 590-2396
Mark Hughes Construction, delivery available (402) 616-4501 or (712) 527-1000

Garden Treasure, Ryan Bichel, 75 cents empty, $2 full, or $1.50 fill yourself (712) 527-3602
Mendards, 49 cents (712) 366-7909

Sewer Backups
Douglas County
Home/Business sewer backups: Those that have had sewer backup problems in the past are likely to
experience similar backups in conjunction with this flooding event and heavy rainfall. Officials are meeting with
consultants to model the impact of various rainfall events to develop mitigation strategies, but they are
encouraging businesses and homeowners that feel that they may be at risk to identify alternatives for
protecting their property.

North Downtown storm and sanitary service disruption: There is always the possibility that intense rainfall will
cause problems with storm and sanitary sewer service. High water levels associated with this flooding event
may make the problem worse. At this time, officials do not expect widespread problems with this issue but are
modeling the impacts of various rainfall events to better predict what areas may become vulnerable if
circumstances change. The community will be advised if expectations change as a result of the outcome of
the modeling study.

Douglas County
No shelters are open in Douglas County at this time. If you are in need of shelter, please contact the Heartland
Chapter of the American Red Cross at (402) 343-7700

Fremont County
If you are in need of shelter please call the Loess Hills Chapter of the American Red Cross at (712) 322-4017.

Harrison County
An American Red Cross shelter has been set up at Missouri Valley High School, 605 Lincoln Highway.

Mills County
If you are in need of shelter please call the Loess Hills Chapter of the American Red Cross at (712) 322-4017.

Nemaha County
An American Red Cross shelter has been set up for Southeast Nebraska flood victims at Peru State College,

 www.uwmidlands.org/211                                                           Dial 2-1-1 Toll Free
JF Neal Hall, 600 Hoyt Street in Peru.

Pottawattamie County
An American Red Cross Emergency Aid Station has been established at First Assembly of God, 3320 Harry
Langdon Blvd, for individuals and families who will be able to check in 24 hours a day for information, a meal,
shower, nap or in special circumstances, a safe bed for the night just until they can make other provisions.

Washington County
If you are in need of shelter, please contact the Heartland Chapter of the American Red Cross at (402) 343-
7700. (See also: ―Housing‖)

Storage Units
Mills County
Budget Storage, West Omaha (402) 333-5979 or (402) 734-5858
Hawkeye Storage, Red Oak (712) 623-4041
O’Neal Storage, Red Oak (712) 623-3764
Bellevue Budget Storage (402) 734-5858
Steve Oliphant (712) 310-7178 or (877) 770-7637
PODS www.pods.com

Telephone Forwarding
Currently, we are offering free Emergency Call Forwarding to our residential and small business customers
who have been affected by the flood. Calls to your home or business can be forwarded to your wireless phone
or your temporary location for a period of 30 days. This can be extended, or cancelled, by calling our repair
department 24 hours a day.

Residential 1-800-573-1311      Small Business 1-800-954-1211       Large Business 1-800-223-7508

Tetanus Shots
It is recommended that every person get a tetanus booster shot every 10 years. According to the Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention guidelines, exposure to flood water does not increase the risk of tetanus.
While it is always a good idea to make sure immunizations are up to date, there are no special
recommendations for tetanus immunizations during flood situations and documentation of vaccination should
not be a pre-requisite for flood work.

Metropolitan Utilities District (M.U.D.)
Customers who plan to evacuate their homes or businesses due to the flooding should turn off all gas
appliances as if they were leaving for a vacation or extended period of time. Customers who would like the
District to shut off the gas to their home or business, should call 402.554.6666. To report a gas leak, call

After the flooding subsides and customers return, M.U.D. will turn on the gas at no charge. Please call
402.554.6666 to make an appointment to turn on the gas. If customers have questions and want to visit with a
natural gas technician, call 402.504.7930.

If you plan to evacuate your home or business, shut off the water service. Turn the shut-off valve by the water
meter clockwise.

 www.uwmidlands.org/211                                                           Dial 2-1-1 Toll Free
After the flooding subsides and you return to your home or business, turn the shut-off valve by the meter
counter-clockwise to turn on the water.

Omaha Public Power District (OPPD)
OPPD set up a flood blog site and updated information on their website, www.oppd.com. The website will
continuously be updated with additional information as it becomes available and will have a link to the blog site
also. Information about standby generators is also available online.

What to do prior to the flood for electrical safety
       Make sure your electric circuit breakers, fuses, are clearly marked for each area of the house.
       Turn off electricity at the main breaker box, or fuse box.
       Unplug appliances

Mid-American Energy
If time allows, customers should call MidAmerican Energy at 888-427-5632 to have their services temporarily
disconnected if their electric or natural gas meter is threatened by flooding. There is no charge for turning off
and turning on service due to flooding. Visit www.midamericanenergy.com for updates and safety information.

Mills County - Every effort will be made to leave utilities on in the affected area as long as possible. Those
residences deemed unsafe due to water accumulation or impassable road conditions will be disconnected. At
this time, we have determined that disconnections will begin with residences on Kane and Karnes, West of
180th Street as road conditions in this area are currently impassable. Decisions to disconnect additional
customers in the affected area will be made based upon changing safety conditions. MidAmerican Energy will
make every effort to notify customers prior to disconnections.

Douglas County
This Thursday and Friday (June 30-July 1), the sandbagging operation will continue at Levi Carter Park [by
Carter Lake, across from Eppley Airfield on Abbott Drive, north area of the Park.]. There will be two shifts,
12:30 pm-4:30 pm and 5 pm-8 pm. Volunteers must be 19 years and older. Bring a shovel, work gloves,
sunscreen, insect repellent, MUST wear closed toe shoes. To register for these or future flood-related
volunteer opportunities as they are added, visit the United Way's Volunteer Registry,
www.volunteersolutions.org/omaha. Anyone without access to Internet can call (402) 522-7933 to register.

Volunteers are also needed to serve as site coordinators at the City of Omaha’s Sandbagging Operation
located at Levi Carter Park. These volunteers will provide supervision and leadership to community volunteers
who have come out to help make sandbags to be used throughout the city. This person must work well with
diverse populations and be able to problem solve quickly. Site coordinator may be involved in helping with
making sandbags but their main priority is to make sure that volunteers are shown what to do, supplies are
maintained and that the operation runs smoothly. Training is provided. City staff are on hand to also provide
support and assist. Work is being done mostly under a tent. Conditions can be very hot and humid. Closed
toed shoes and gloves are a must. Please bring a shovel if you have one as well as bug spray and sun
screen. Site coordinators are being scheduled for the next three weeks for the following days/shifts:
Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays (as needed) ―A‖ Shift 12:30 – 4:30 p.m. or ―B‖ Shift 5 – 8 p.m. Go to
www.volunteersolutions.org/omaha to register. You will be contacted for further information.

For additional flood-related volunteer opportunities, contact the Heartland Chapter of the American Red Cross
at 402-343-7700 or the Omaha Salvation Army at 402-898-6000.

Mills County
Volunteers can register online at www.volunteersolutions.org/omaha. A specific event is setup for Mills
County, and individuals should register for ―general signups‖. As additional opportunities become available,

 www.uwmidlands.org/211                                                           Dial 2-1-1 Toll Free
individuals who have signed up will be emailed and can register for particular projects if they wish.

Pottawattamie County
The city of Council Bluffs has set up a volunteer hotline (712) 325-4736. This line is staffed from 8 am-6 pm.

Water Levels
Releases from Gavins Point Dam have increased to 160,000 cubic feet per second as a result of continued
rain in South Dakota — where as much as 6 inches fell recently — and northern Nebraska.

National Weather Service Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service as of June 28:
Verdel – 29.01 feet, flood stage is 24 feet
Niobrara – 26.61 feet, flood stage is 21 feet,
South Sioux City – 34.96 feet, flood stage is 30 feet
Decatur – 39.89 feet, flood stage is 35 feet
Blair – 32.53 feet, flood stage is 26.5 feet
Omaha – 34.97 feet, flood stage is 29 feet
Plattsmouth – 36.32 feet, flood stage is 26 feet
Nebraska City – 28.23 feet, flood stage is 18 feet
Brownville – 43.12 feet, flood stage is 33 feet
Rulo – 26.77 feet, flood stage is 17 feet

Douglas County
Current information suggests that the river water level outside the levee (PDF Levee Map) could reach up to 36
feet at Omaha. Under heavy rain conditions, up to four feet of storm water could become trapped inside the
levee and pool in some locations. The areas believed to be susceptible to standing water are indicated in blue
on the map of downtown (PDF). Areas shaded in light blue may receive 0-2 feet of water. Areas shaded in
dark blue may receive 2-4 feet of water. (If you are unable to access the link above, visit www.omahaflood.org
and click on ―Missouri River Flood 2011‖.)

The flooding is due to a controlled release of water upstream to accommodate an unusually high amount of
snow melt in the mountains. The controlled release is expected to continue for several months.

Maps for potential flood areas can be found at: www.nwo.usace.army.mil. For help interpreting the maps,
people can e-mail questions to the Corps of Engineers’ Joint Information Center at MRJIC@usace.army.mil or
call (402) 996-3877.

Current and projected water levels are posted on the National Weather Service Hydrologic Projection Center
website. (Links to this information can be found at www.omahaflood.org) These projections are updated

Mills County
Government officials are urging residents in the western part of the county to prepare for anticipated major
flooding along the Missouri River. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said Thursday it predicts the Missouri
River will reach levels five to seven feet above flood stages at most locations in Iowa and Nebraska by mid-
June. The agency said some areas could remain inundated with water throughout July and August.

If the water release levels remain steady, then the Gavins Point Dam water in conjunction with increases from
the Platte River could raise the Missouri River near the 40-foot mark. The Missouri River reached a record
height of 35.65 feet on July 25, 1993. The second-highest level was 34.66 feet on June 14, 1984, and the third-
highest amount was 33.31 feet. The river rose to that level during flooding last June.

Keg Creek is not at risk for flooding at this time. However, large amounts of rainfall could affect it.

 www.uwmidlands.org/211                                                              Dial 2-1-1 Toll Free
Pottawattamie County
The Army Corp of Engineers has reached 150,000 cubic feet per second (cfs) release at the Gavin’s Point
dam. This could cause the river to be as high as 32’-36’ in the Omaha/Council Bluffs area. While those levels
are historic they are still below the federal levees. This release from the dam will go on for some time, possibly
well into August.

The City of Council Bluffs, the Corp of Engineers and first responders are monitoring the levees and their
infrastructure 24 hours a day. They have confidence in the levee system and will work quickly to fix any
problems. The levees will have water around them from relief wells, saturation etc. This is normal so do not be
alarmed. If you see a flow of water from a levee that you believe is severe call 911.

Water Safety (Drinking)
Cass County (Nebraska)
The city of Plattsmouth has a contingency plan in the event that the Plattsmouth water treatment plant was to
be flooded. Water from the Cass County Rural Water District No. 1 would be made available via existing piping
to the city. If Rural Water District No. 1 needs additional water, it has a connection to the Beaver Lake Public
Water System.

Douglas County, Sarpy County
Metropolitan Utilities District’s three drinking water treatment plants continue to operate normally and have not
been affected by flooding in the Omaha metro area. Two of the drinking water treatment plants are served by
the Platte River. The Florence Water Treatment Plant, served by the Missouri River, is at a high elevation and
has not had any problems.

In the unlikely event that the Florence facility would be taken out of service, reliability would not be affected
because the other drinking water treatment plants -- Platte West and Platte South -- have the capacity to serve
the metro area.

(See also ―Well Water Information‖)

Water Treatment and Natural Gas Facilities
Metropolitan Utilities District’s three water treatment plants and natural gas facilities continue to operate
normally and have not been affected by flooding in the Omaha metro area.

Well Water Information
Well owners should take the following steps if they believe their well will be impacted:
·     Before taking the well out of service, store a supply of clean water;
·    Disconnect the power supply for the well. Consult a Nebraska-licensed well driller or pump installer if help
is needed;
·    Perform actions necessary to make the well water-tight, including removing the well vent and replacing it
with a water-tight plug, and sealing any visible joint openings with water-tight caulking or equivalent material;
·    Cover the top of the well with a heavy-duty plastic trash bag or equivalent protective covering and tightly
secure it, making it as water-tight as possible to keep out dirt, debris and contaminants.
Sealing won’t eliminate the need for testing and possible disinfection, but it will provide the best chance for the
well to come on-line quickly and minimize repair costs and maintenance.

Contact local Extension offices for more information, or visit http://flood.unl.edu/.

 www.uwmidlands.org/211                                                                 Dial 2-1-1 Toll Free
For More Information….
Nebraska Emergency Management Agency – www.nema.ne.gov
(855) 211-2453 or (855) 211-2454 8 am-8 pm daily for general public questions

Burt County
For updated information, residents may call (402) 727-2785.

Cass County (NE)
More information can be found on the Cass County Emergency Management page on Facebook.

Dakota County
This area is served by 2-1-1 in Sioux City – (866) 765-1211

Douglas County
Feel free to call 2-1-1 anytime. We are receiving regular updates from Douglas County Emergency
Management. Please do not call DCEMA directly. Links to updates may be found at www.omahaflood.org and

Harrison County
Housing requests between people is happening thru Facebook – Harrison County Flood 2011

Mills County
Call 2-1-1 anytime for information. A website has been established to provide Information and links including
the Army Corps of Engineer’s maps. The website address is www.millscoia.us, click on the ―Flood‖ tab.

Pottawattamie County
Feel free to call 2-1-1 anytime. We are receiving regular updates from Pottawattamie County Emergency
Management. Please do not call PCEMA directly. Resource management, planning, and reaction to
emergencies are occurring in the Emergency Operations Center, and telephone calls for information are
hampering these efforts. Use the above sources for updated information.

Both the City of Council Bluffs http://www.councilbluffs-ia.gov and Pottawattamie County
http://www.pottcounty.com are updating their web sites with current information. Anyone can also ―friend‖ the
Pottawattamie County Emergency Management page on Facebook.

Sarpy County
More information can be found on the Sarpy County Emergency Management page on Facebook.

Washington County
For information, residents may call (402) 426-8881. Facebook is also being used for updates – ―Washington-
County-Flood‖ for information or ―Washington-County-Cares‖ for those in need and those who want to help.

 www.uwmidlands.org/211                                                         Dial 2-1-1 Toll Free

To top