Directory of Notre-Dame-de-l'Île-Perrot Street Names
In 1716, Lady Françoise Cuillerier, owner of the Seigneurie, gave a fief on the island to Lord
Alexis Trottier, brother of her late husband. Alexis’ fief was joined to the Brucy fief, which was
created in 1676.
The Mayor of Notre-Dame-de-l'Île-Perrot from 1965 to 1969. Mr. Grefford passed away in the
Place Anne-Hébert (1916 - 2000)
Anne Hébert was born in Sainte-Catherine-de-Fossambault near Quebec City. She is considered
one of the great Romantic poets of Quebec, having written works including Kamouraska, which
was her first success in 1970, and Les Fous de Bassan, which won the Fémina Prize in 1982.
Rue Antoine-De La Fresnaye
Antoine De La Fresnaye, Lord of Brucy, Lieutenant of François Perrot, was charged with
establishing a trading post at l’Île Perrot. Brucy undertook the traffic in furs to his own and his
master’s profit. To the disadvantage of the Montreal traders, he intercepted the precious skins
coming by the Outaouais river before they could reach the city.
Arthur Larivière was a summer resident since the mid 1940s. He was killed in an accident on rue
Auclair, during the construction of the infrastructures for the aqueduct and sewer system in 1974.
Well-known ice seller, Auguste Brossoit lived on this street since the 1950s. He was a municipal
councillor during the 1960s. He passed away in 1985.
Rue Charles-Le Moyne
Father of the famous Le Moyne brothers, Charles bought the l’Île Perrot seigneurie on March 2
1684. He did not have much time to enjoy his new acquisition, as he died the following year,
leaving his heirs the island, which he had renamed Mariecourt.
Directory of Notre-Dame-de-l'Île-Perrot Street Names 1 (6)
The major artery that traverses l’Île Perrot from west to east, from highway 20 to the Pointe-du-
Moulin historic park, was inaugurated in 1963. It was therefore decided to name this artery
Boulevard Don-Quichotte. The old wind mill, built at the end of the point between 1705 et 1708,
conjures up the heroes of the Cervantès novel, renowned for their exploits of tilting at wind mills.
Rue Doris-Lussier (1918 - 1993)
Writer and comedian, originally from the Eastern Townships, he was a professor of political
sciences at the l’Académie de Québec. Hi invented for the entertainment of his friends a
character named Gédéon, which he portrayed all his life. His character was adopted by Roger
Lemelin in his series Les Plouffe. Doris Lussier was heavily involved in society and politics.
A descendent of the Mauffette family of l’Île-Perrot, Mme. Mauffette spent the pleasant summer
days of her youth at her parents’ cottage on the bay. She was a radio actress in the 1930s and
1940s, known mainly in portraying the role of Donalda in the series Un homme et son péché.
She passed away on March 12, 1984 at the age of 80, having lived in Vaudreuil-Dorion in the last
years of her life.
Étienne Trudeau was the “master carpenter on a large scale”, who was entrusted to build the
trading post by Antoine De La Fresnaye, according to the contract dated January 2, 1675,
witnessed by Bénigne Basset, Notary.
Croissant Fernande-Létourneau (1910-1988)
Secretary to Colonel Roger Maillet, Mlle. Fernande Létourneau is considered the co-founder of
the l’Île-Perrot Museum, which eventually became the Vaudreuil-Soulanges Regional Museum.
Passionate about history, Mlle Létourneau purchased the Vieux-Moulin (old wind mill) and the
maison du meunier (mill house) in 1963 in order to preserve this unique site. She offered it to the
Canadian Government in 1973 to turn it into a historic park.
Wife of Joseph-Trottier Des Ruisseaux, who bought the Seigneurie de l’Île Perrot from the Le
Moyne heirs in 1703. With the death of her husband in approximately 1715, Dame Françoise
Cuillerier became the owner of the Seigneurie. She undertook to populate the island and
supervised the construction of a first church in 1740, and a second in 1753, which will be
dedicated to Sainte Jeanne-Françoise de Chantal in memory of its benefactress.
Georges Morris was a resident of the area since the late 1940s, along with two of his brothers
and their families. He passed away at the end of the 1980s.
Rue Hubert-Leduc (1934 – 1999)
A native of Notre-Dame-de-l'Île-Perrot, Mr. Hubert Leduc was known and appreciated by all for
his involvement in municipal sporting and social activities. He was a municipal counsellor for
more than 25 years, and passed away while still holding the position.
Directory of Notre-Dame-de-l'Île-Perrot Street Names 2 (6)
Rue Jeanne-Pilon (1909 - 1989)
Mlle. Jeanne Pilon, was the unforgettable village grocer who, with her sister Lucienne, operated
from 1953 the general store founded by their father, Wilfrid Pilon, in 1899. We will always
remember Mlle Pilon’s legendary humour, her joviality, and her great devotion to Notre-Dame-de-
Rue Jean-Paul-Lemieux (1904 - 1990)
Born in Québec city, he studied at l’école des beaux-arts de Montréal, and became a professor
there from 1937 to 1965. A renowned painter, he was considered “one of the most sensitive and
perceptive witnesses of our identity”. He passed away December 7, 1990.
Rue Jean-Paul-Pariseau (1914 - 1994)
Adopted citizen of Notre-Dame-de-l'Île-Perrot, Mr. Jean-Paul Pariseau became the first chief of
police (but without officers in his charge) at the end of the 1950s. Later, he became a municipal
counsellor. During his mandate, Mr. Pariseau drove several important projects, including the
completion of the first waterworks system in the municipality in 1964.
The most important Steward of Nouvelle-France. It was he, who in 1672, gave l’Île Perrot to his
nephew by marriage, François-Marie Perrot.
Julie Deschamps was a religious instructor who left her mark on the Notre-Dame-de-la-Garde
Rue Léo-Ayotte (1909 - 1976)
A native of the Mauricie region, he left the region for Montreal in 1938, where he maintained a
studio for more than 30 years. A self-taught artist, he produced his most beautiful canvasses
after 1958 and his works were very well received. He lost his struggle with cancer in December
A summer resident of Notre-Dame-de-l’Île-Perrot since the 1940s and friend of Colonel Roger
Maillet, Lucien Thériault was one of the co-founders of the l’Île-Perrot Museum, later relocated to
Vaudreuil. He was a director during the glory days of CBC Radio, and became Roger Maillet’s
successor as the curator of the museum, which eventually became the Vaudreuil-Soulanges
Rue Lucille-Teasdale (1929 - 1996)
Visionary and humanitarian, Lucille Teasdale was the first female from Quebec to earn a diploma
as a surgeon, and was one of the first female surgeons in Canada. In 1961, with the help of her
husband, she transformed a community clinic in the north of Uganda into a hospital. In 1985, she
contracted HIV while operating on a soldier, but continued to practice in Africa until 1993. She
died on August 1, 1996, of complications resulting from AIDS.
Madeleine Laguide Meynier was the niece of Jean Talon, the most famous Steward of New
France, and the wife of François-Marie Perrot, second Governor if Montreal after Maisonneuve,
and Seigneur of l’Île Perrot in 1672.
Directory of Notre-Dame-de-l'Île-Perrot Street Names 3 (6)
Wife of Louis Hébert, peasant ploughman and labourer. The land that he ploughed, sowed, and
planted, together became the fief of Sault-au-Matelot, not far from the Saint-Charles river at
Quebec City. After the death of Louis Hébert in 1627, Marie Rollet married Guillaume Hibou in
1629, shortly after the English occupation of Kirke. With the permission of Champlain, the whole
family stayed in Quebec where they rejoined him, in 1632. Marie Rollet took in two of
Champlain’s protégées, the young Indians Espérance et Charité. Marie Rollet died in 1649, in
Rue Marie-Marthe Daoust
Marie-Marthe Daoust was the first female church warden of the Sainte-Jeanne-de-Chantal parish.
Her name symbolized education, as she was the “Mistress of the Lay School” at the Notre-Dame-
de-la-Garde school, at a time when the only teachers were clerics. She was co-owner of the land
where the street bearing her name is now situated.
Bibliothèque Marie-Uguay (1955 - 1981)
Marie Uguay (1955-1981), née Lalonde, selected the name Marie Uguay to honour her maternal
grandfather, César Uguay, a Montreal violin teacher. Marie spent her summers at her grand-
parents’ cottage facing the river, at 40 rue Auclair in Notre-Dame-de-l’Île-Perrot. She had the gift
of writing. She published two books of poetry in 1976 and 1979 and became a member of
“l’Union des écrivains québécois”. Shortly before, she learned that she had bone cancer.
She participated in “La nuit de la poésie”. Her participation at this show was revelation. Shortly
before her death on October 25, 1981, director Jean-Claude Labrecque filmed an intimate and
moving documentary during which Marie Uguay opened up her soul to journalist and writer Jean
Royer. Following her wishes, Marie Uguay was buried in the Sainte-Jeanne-de-Chantal
cemetery, facing the river, beside her grandfather, César, on Novembre 3, 1981 at Notre-Dame-
Marie Uguay is considered one of the most important contemporary Québécoise poets. Les
Editions du Noroît published book of her works, POEMES, in March 1994.
Chosen to lead the very first municipal council of l’Île Perrot in 1845, Michel McNabb, farmer of
Scottish origin, had many descendants, including André et Paul who, one after the other,
continued to cultivate the family farm. Today you can find a street to honour his memory.
A common ancestor to the two Legault families established on the island for nearly 200 years,
Noël Legault married Marie Besnard in Montréal on November 18, 1698.
The road that rings the island bears the name Boulevard Perrot to underscore the memory of
François-Marie Perrot, Captain of the d’Auvergne regiment. Lord Perrot was the successor to
Paul de Chomedey de Maisonneuve as Governor of Montréal in 1669. The Steward, Jean Talon,
his uncle by marriage, gave him the seigneurie of “l’isle dit Perrot” on October 29, 1672.
Croissant Pierre-De Rigaud
Pierre De Rigaud de Vaudreuil de Cavagnal, officer in the Marine troops and last Governor-
General of Nouvelle-France was born in Quebec on November 22, 1698. Fourth son of Philippe
Directory of Notre-Dame-de-l'Île-Perrot Street Names 4 (6)
De Rigaud, Marquis of Vaudreuil and Louise-Elisabeth de Joybert de Soulanges et de Marson, he
died in Paris August 4, 1778.
Ancestor of the Montpetits of Quebec City, Pierre Montpetit married Louise Beaune at Montréal
on November 15, 1683. The name Montpetit represents one of the oldest families established on
Raymond Trudel was the chief of police and inspector of the Municipality for 15 years, and known
to all. He passed away in 1977.
Rue Roger-Maillet (1896 - 1960)
Owner of Petit Journal, Roger Maillet chose reside in l’Île Perrot in a remarkable manor built from
an old peasant house. He founded the Musée de l’Île Perrot as a natural extension of his
originality and benevolent generosity. Using the stones from the church of 1740 found at Pointe-
du-Moulin, he had the remembrance chapel rebuilt near the Sainte-Jeanne-de-Chantal church.
The wood at Pointe Madore was known at the beginning of the 20th century, and identified on
maps of that era, as Sherringham Park. A peaceful place near the Lac St-Louis river, where
employees of the D’Aoust de Sainte-Anne-de-Bellevue General Store hold their annual picnic.
This place, easily accessible by boat, attracted many yachtsmen, including Americans who would
come to buy alcohol during prohibition in the United States. Rue Sherringham, located in this
environment, recalls this forgotten place and time.
Rue Sylvio-Leduc (1886 - 1946)
Native of the village of Notre-Dame-de-l’Île-Perrot, Sylvio Leduc was a blacksmith like his father,
Joseph. In 1933, he realized his dream to become a farmer. He purchased land at the limits of
Petite-Côte, on which you will find a street honouring this valiant worker.
Rue de la Valline
À la Valline was the given name of the farm of Sylvio Leduc, blacksmith for all of l’Île-Perrot. He
lived on the property where you find this street.
In 1785, by a decision of the court of Common Process, Thomas Dennis de Soulanges became
the owner of l’Île Perrot and its adjacent island, taking over from Jean-Baptiste Leduc, previous
Seigneur and owner de the island.
Chemin du Vieux-Moulin
This road can be traced on a geographical map from 1882. It would take you along the St-
Laurent River to the wind mill built between 1705 and 1708 by Joseph Trottier Des Ruisseaux,
the then Seigneur of l’Île Perrot.
Rue des Villas
The rue des Villas is the principal entrance to the project. The houses in this new neighbourhood
had an architecture different from the other projects in the area, so this street name was chosen.
Directory of Notre-Dame-de-l'Île-Perrot Street Names 5 (6)
William Rozon was a resident of this street since the beginning of the 1950s. He was a Municipal
Counsellor during the 1960s, and passed away in 1991.
Mme. Brind’Amour was a great actress and was a co-founder more than 50 years ago of the
théâtre du Rideau-Vert (Green Curtain Theatre), which is still in existence today. She passed
away on April 4, 1992 at the age of 73. She lived in Vaudreuil-Dorion for many years.
Directory of Notre-Dame-de-l'Île-Perrot Street Names 6 (6)