APARTMENT LEASE AGREEMENT
AND SECURITY DEPOSIT RECEIPT
THIS INDENTURE, made this _______ day of __________________, 20_____, between ______________________________________,
hereinafter designated the Lessor, Owner or Landlord, and ______________________________________________________________,
hereinafter designated the Resident(s) or Lessee(s),
WITNESSETH: That the said Lessor/Owner/Landlord does by these presents lease and demise the apartment situated at
_______________________________________, Apt. No. _________, in the City of _______________________, County of __________________,
State of ________________________________, upon the following terms and conditions:
1. TERM. The premises are leased for a term of __________ years, _________ months, commencing on the __________________ day of
____________________________________, 20_________, and terminating on the _____________________ day of
_____________________________________, 20__________, and on a month-to-month basis thereafter.
2. RENT. The monthly rental for said apartment which Lessee agrees to pay is $_____________________, plus such interest as may accrue
to Landlord during the term of this Lease Agreement from Landlord's deposit in trust account of Tenant's security deposit. This rent, plus
$__________________ per month for ___________________________________________________ shall be payable in advance, in one check or
money order, on the first day of each calendar month to ____________________________________________________________, or to such other
party, or at such other place as the Owner may designate. If rent is paid later than the _________ day of the month, Lessee shall pay a
$____________________ late fee. Returned checks (such as NSF) are not considered payment and Lessee will be assessed a $25.00 bad check
fee as well as the late fee. Lessee understands that he/she will receive no rent reduction, adjustments or compensation due to repairs or
interruptions of service except as provided by law. Lessee has paid an additional amount of $___________________ which shall be applied towards
last month's rent upon termination of residency. Personal checks will not be accepted from Lessees who have had their personal checks returned by
3. UTILITIES. Initial appropriate box:
_______ A. In addition to the rent, Lessee shall pay for all public utilities charged against the apartment except for water, sewer and
garbage collection, which will be paid by the owner. Lessee agrees to immediately notify the electric and gas companies of
tenants as applicable.
_______ B. In addition to the rent, Lessee shall pay for all public utilities charged against the apartment including water, sewer and
prorated garbage and trash collection charges. Utility charges are due on the 1st of each month, and include a utility billing fee
of $__________ per month. If utilities are paid later than the seventh (7th) day of the month, Lessee shall pay a late fee of
$25.00 (returned checks are not considered payment and Lessee agrees to pay a late fee). Failure to promptly pay utility
charges and fees shall constitute a breach of a material aspect of the lease.
4. FEES. Upon move-in, Lessee agrees to pay the sum of $________________ as a non-refundable fee for normal cleaning of blinds and
carpets upon vacating. No portion of this fee will be refundable under any circumstance. Stains, insect/flea infestation, odors or repairs will be an
additional charge. For smoking units, Lessee agrees to pay a non-refundable painting fee of $__________. No portion of this fee will be refunded
under any circumstances.
5. UTILITIES DEPOSIT. Lessee agrees to deposit the sum of $_______________ as a security deposit for final payment of water, sewer &
garbage utilities. This deposit does not limit owner’s rights or Lessees obligations. The owner shall have the right to proceed against the Lessee to
recover costs of water, sewer & garbage use as described in Paragraph #3. Said utilities deposit shall be in the same trust account as the security
deposit discussed in Lease Paragraph #4.
6. DEPOSIT. Lessee agrees to pay the sum of $_________________ as a Security Deposit for the performance of Lessee's obligations
hereunder. This deposit does not limit Owner's rights or Lessee's obligations. The Owner shall have the right to proceed against the Lessee to
recover costs for cleaning, painting, or repairs to the property and replacement of lost or missing property for which the Lessee is responsible, which
exceed the amount of Security Deposit and/or Cleaning Fee, together with reasonable attorney's fees and charges incurred in collection of said
costs, as provided by law. Lessee agrees the sum shall be deposited by Agent or Owner in the Owner's trust account with
________________________________________ whose address is ___________________________________________________________, or
such other depository as the Owner or his/her successor may identify to the Lessee. Lessee understands that all or a portion of the Deposit may be
retained by the Owner upon termination of the tenancy and that a refund of any portion of the Deposit to the Lessee is conditioned as follows:
(a) Lessee shall have complied with all of the conditions of this Agreement.
(b) Lessee shall clean and restore Apartment to its condition at the commencement of this tenancy as evidenced by the Apartment
Condition Report (Page 4 of this Agreement), less wear and tear from normal usage. Lessee agrees that soilage is not normal wear and tear.
(c) Lessee shall replace or repair any missing or damaged personal property provided by the Owner.
(d) Lessee shall return to the Owner all keys provided to Lessee. A $5.00 charge will be assessed for each key not returned.
(e) Within fourteen (14) days after the termination of the Lease, Owner shall mail to the Lessee's last known address a full and
specific statement of the basis for retention of any or all of the deposit, together with payment of any refund due the Lessee.
7. EARLY TERMINATION OF LEASE.
(a) In the event of early termination for any cause, security deposit (paragraph 4 above) shall be forfeited. The security deposit will
not be applied to charges for unpaid rent, cleaning or damage in cases of early termination.
(b) In the event of early termination for any cause, Lessee will repay Landlord the full amount of any rent incentive or free rent given
as move-in incentive. Amount given was $____________________________________________________________________.
(c) In the event of early termination (i.e. breaking lease) for any cause, Lessee shall be responsible for the rent on the apartment
until it is re-rented and as stated in 7 (a), the forfeited security deposit will not be applied towards charged for unpaid rent.
8. TERMINATION NOTICE. Twenty (20) days prior to the end of a lease term or in the event this tenancy should continue beyond the term
period covered under Clause #1 herein above, and tenancy continues on a month-to-month basis, a twenty (20) days written notice to terminate
tenancy must be given to Lessor/Owner/Agent prior to the end of any monthly term. According to the terms of this Lease, rent has been prorated to
the first day of each calendar month. Lessee understands that month-to-month occupancy is a residency running from the first to the last day of
each month. Example: Notice given on the 17th day of one month binds the residency until the last day of the next month, NOT the third day, of the
FOLLOWING month. Lessee understands that if such notice is not given, Lessee will be obligated for the next month's rent, as provided by
Washington State law. Lessee agrees that if Lessee remains in possession of said apartment after date of intention to vacate, Lessee will pay a
daily rental of $50.00 thereafter. Lessee further agrees to promptly vacate if he/she/they are unable or fail to pay the rent or comply with any other
provisions in the Lease Agreement.
9. LEAD-BASED PAINT. Building was not _____ was_____ constructed prior to 1978 and may contain lead-based paint. If Owner or Agent
has any knowledge of lead-based paint in the property, Resident will be given separate condition report. Resident's signature hereto acknowledges
receipt of a copy of "Protect Your Family from Lead in Your Home."
10. LAWS AND ORDINANCES IN CITY OF SEATTLE BUILDINGS. Lessee confirms by signature hereto that he/she/they have been
provided summaries of the following, which have been attached to this Lease Agreement and by this reference become a part hereof: Washington
State Landlord/Tenant Law; Seattle Lease Agreement Regulation Ordinance; Seattle Housing and Building Maintenance Code; the Seattle/Tenant
Relocation Assistance Ordinance; and the Seattle Condominium and Co-Operative Conversion Ordinance; and the Seattle "Just Cause Eviction"
11. CLEANING. Upon vacating, carpets and blinds or drapes will be professionally cleaned at Lessee's cost. Lessee agrees to clean balance
of apartment. If Lessee fails to satisfactorily clean apartment, Lessor will hire cleaning professionals AT LESSEE'S EXPENSE to clean.
12. PAINTING. The apartment that Lessee is leasing was last painted on ________________________________, 20_____. For
occupancies of less than ______________________ months, Lessee agrees to pay a pro-rated cost of touchup painting or re-painting upon
vacating. Charges will be calculated by dividing the cost of painting by ________________ months and subtracting _________________________
for each month of occupancy. Lessee is cautioned to properly care for walls and cabinetry to reduce costs of repainting.
13. LIABILITY. Lessee accepts the Apartment in its present condition, and all personal property in the apartment or storage or parking area
shall be at the risk of the Lessee. Lessee agrees Owner and its Agent shall not be liable for loss or damage sustained by action of any third party,
fire, water, theft or the elements or for loss of any articles from any cause, from said Apartment or any other part of said buildings. Neither shall the
Owner be liable for any injury to Lessee, his/her/their family, guests, employees or any person entering the Apartment, building or property of which
the Apartment is a part. IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT LESSEE OBTAIN HIS/HER/THEIR OWN INSURANCE POLICY TO PROTECT
THEIR PERSONAL POSSESSIONS.
14. UNCLEAN / DAMAGED CONDITIONS. Should Lessee leave the apartment in an unclean or damaged condition and Owner/Manager is
unable to lease the apartment because of the condition, then Lessee shall be liable for 1/30th of monthly rent for each day of lost rent based on the
rent Lessee was last paying.
15. ASSIGNMENT. Lessee shall not assign this Agreement or sublet the Apartment or any part thereof without the written consent of Owner
16. LOCKS/KEYS. Resident manager hereby certifies that all door locks to said apartment unit have been replaced or re-keyed.
___________ (Manager's initials)
17. ALTERATIONS. Lessee agrees to do no painting or any decorating in the Apartment, or make any alterations, changes or additions to the
premises or the fixtures, locks or wiring without the prior written consent of the Landlord.
18. USE. Lessee agrees that the Apartment is to be used and occupied by persons named herein only, consisting of ___________ persons,
as a private dwelling apartment and for no other purpose. Any additional resident in the apartment shall execute an Application to Rent and a Lease
Agreement and shall not occupy the Apartment until the Owner accepts the Lease Agreement. Failure of additional residents to execute a Lease
Agreement shall constitute a breach of this Apartment Lease Agreement. A guest staying over two weeks will be considered a Lessee.
19. PETS. No pets will be allowed on the premises without prior written permission of manager.
20. MAINTENANCE. Lessees shall keep clean any assigned storage area and parking areas. Lessee shall maintain the Apartment including
its furnishings, appliances, floor coverings, draperies and patio in good order and in a clean and sanitary condition.
21. ACCESS. Lessee shall allow Owner or Agent access at all reasonable times to said Apartment for the purpose of inspection or to show
said Apartment to prospective purchasers, mortgagees, or renters, or any other person having a legitimate interest therein, or to make necessary
repairs or improvements. Owner shall, whenever practicable, give the Lessee notice twenty-four (24) hours prior to showing the apartment, or forty-
eight (48) hours prior to doing a repair in the Apartment, as required under RCW 59.18.150. Lessee agrees that in case of an emergency or
abandonment the Owner may enter the Apartment without consent of the Lessee.
22. POSSESSION. Lessee agrees Owner and his Agent shall not be liable for damages or costs incurred because of Owner's inability to
deliver possession on the commencement date of the Lease Agreement. Rental shall be prorated to date of possession. Lessee, at their option,
may declare this Lease Agreement null and void if possession is delayed three (3) days, in which case all money paid by Lessee to Owner shall be
23. REMOVAL OF PROPERTY. If the Apartment is vacated or abandoned by Lessee, Owner or his Agent may re-enter the Apartment and
remove all personal property from the Apartment and place it in storage at the expense of Lessee. Owner may dispose of said property as provided
by the Landlord Tenant Act of 1973. Owner shall mail a notice to Lessee's last known address stating the location and address of stored property.
24. SMOKE DETECTOR. Lessee acknowledges that they have inspected the smoke detector in the Apartment and that it is operable and in
good condition at the commencement of occupancy. Washington law provides that it is the Lessee's responsibility to maintain the smoke detector,
including batteries, and that the Lessee test the smoke detector once a month. The fine for failing to maintain the smoke detector is $50.00 up to a
maximum of $200.00.
25. HARASSMENT. Lessee understands that it may be considered a violation of Washington State law and grounds for the termination of a
tenancy for any Lessee to harass any other Lessee, family member or guest on the basis of sex, marital status, sexual orientation, race, creed, color,
national origin or the presence of sensory, mental or physical handicap. Any Lessee who becomes aware of any violation of these rules by any other
Lessee should notify the Resident Manager in writing. It is against the policy of the Property Owner and Agent for Resident Manager to touch, seek
sexual favors, or engages in lewd conduct or language toward any Resident. Any such actions or unwelcome advances should be reported
immediately to the Property Owner or Agent.
26. GOVERNMENTAL REGULATIONS. Lessee shall comply with all laws, ordinances, public rules and governmental regulations applicable
to said Apartment or the use thereof.
27. COSTS AND ATTORNEY’S FEES. In the event of disagreement or litigation regarding the performance of the terms and provisions of this
Agreement by either party hereto, the prevailing party shall be entitled to the payment of their costs and expenses, including reasonable attorney's
fees, as provided and limited by the Lessee Landlord Tenant Act of 1973, together with Amendments thereto, if any.
28. NOTICE CHARGES. Lessee understands a service fee of $25 will be charged to them for each and every "Three Day Notice for Waste,
Nuisance or Maintenance of an Unlawful Business" or to "Pay Rent or Vacate" or a "Ten Day Notice to Comply or Vacate" that is issued to them.
29. NON-WAIVER OF BREACH AND SEVER ABILITY. The failure of the Owner to insist upon strict performance of any of the covenants
and agreements of this lease, or to exercise any option herein conferred in any one or more instances, shall not be construed to be a waiver or
relinquishment of any such or any other covenants or agreements, but the same shall be and remain in full force and effect. All parts, portions and
provisions of this Agreement shall be deemed separate and severable. In the event of the invalidity of any part, portion or provision, the rest of this
Agreement, which with such part, portion or provision, deleted, shall be given full force and effect.
30. CONTACT PAPER/DECALS. Lessee agrees not to install contact paper in drawers or in cabinets, or use decals on appliances, cabinets,
mirrors or doors.
31. The use of the hallways, stairwells, laundry room, and all public areas is to be quiet, clean and considerate with respect for the comfort of
other Lessees on the property.
32. No bicycles, baby carriages or other personal effects shall be allowed in halls, walkways, stairways, elevator, laundry rooms or other public
areas, except specifically designed areas. No packages, boxes, etc., will be allowed to obstruct halls, walkways, stairways, etc.
33. Lessee, family and guests shall have due regard for the peace, comfort and enjoyment of other tenants in the building. Musical
instruments, radios, television sets, record players, etc., shall be played only during reasonable hours normally 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. and at a
34. There is to be: NO RUNNING IN THE HALLWAYS OR STAIRWELLS
NO EATING/DRINKING IN THE HALLWAYS, ELEVATOR OR STAIRWELLS
NO EXCESS NOISE AFTER 10:00 P.M.
NO NOISY APPLIANCES AFTER 10:00 P.M.
NO SMOKING IN THE PUBLIC AREAS OF THE BUILDING
35. Cooking odors offensive to other residents shall be a violation of due regard to the peace, comfort and quiet enjoyment of other residents in
36. No climbing or playing on balconies, stairways, carports or entries will be permitted.
37. Defacing, marring or damage to the property will not be tolerated. Lessees will be responsible for any costs involved.
38. No playing on or around garbage dumpsters, parking or carport areas will be tolerated.
39. No wires, aerials, antennas for radio or television or wires, ropes, etc., for clothes drying, etc., shall be installed on the roof, decks, or other
parts of the building without written permission of the Owner or Agent.
40. Use of picture hooks with small shaft nails is acceptable and approved of by the Owner and Agent for hanging decorations and pictures on
the walls. Lessees are not allowed to hang anything from the ceilings. No tape or nails are to be used on the woodwork, veneer or walls.
41. Wash and rinse dishes before placing them in the dishwasher. Food left on them can cause problems with your dishwasher. Use only
"automatic" dishwasher detergent.
42. Be careful with the use of the garbage disposal. Do not put banana peels, coffee grounds, spaghetti, artichoke leaves, corn stalks, celery,
bones, fat, grease, glass, or like items down your disposal. Lessee may be charged for damage done to the garbage disposal due to clogging it
and/or putting damaging things down it.
43. When defrosting freezers, do not use sharp instruments.
44. Toilets, sinks and wash basins are to be used only for the purposes for which they were intended and no dust, rubbish, coffee grounds,
etc., are to be put into them.
45. Do not use abrasive products like Comet on the bathtub. Soft Scrub works well.
46. Do not put Liquid Plumber or Draino down your drains - it can harm the pipes. Contact the Resident Manager if you have any plugged up
47. All leaking windows, fireplaces, faucets and toilets and/or defects or potential defects in any appliances shall be reported promptly to the
Resident Manager or the Agent. Lessee must remove interior accumulation of moisture and mildew.
48. Use only presto logs in your fireplace. When using a portable grill or hibachi, it must be placed on a pedestal that is inflammable - such as
49. The laundry and its facilities shall be used only for washing and drying of the usual personal and household articles. No cleaning with
flammable materials or dying of clothes in washing machines will be permitted.
50. Guests are permitted to park in the designated area only. Mechanical vehicle repair, such as changing oil, flushing radiators, etc., is not
permitted in the parking lot. Lessees are responsible for the cleanliness of their registered parking space. Only cars are allowed in the parking stalls
- stalls are not to be used for storage purposes. No parking of commercial or recreational vehicles, boats, campers or trailers is permitted.
51. Unused, unlicensed or inoperative vehicles cannot be parked or stored on the property. Any vehicle left inoperable over forty-eight hours
can and will be towed at the Owner's (Lessee's) expense.
52. Plumbing, electrical, appliance or glass repairs due to Lessee's (or Lessee's guests) neglect, misuse or accident will be repaired at
53. Clogged or plugged sinks, toilets or drains as a result of Lessee's (or Lessee's guests) misuse will be repaired at Lessee's cost.
54. All wet garbage shall be wrapped in plastic bags, and boxes shall be crushed before placing in the garbage containers. All plastic garbage
sacks must be tied shut.
55. No venetian blinds, awnings, draw shades or non-conforming curtains or drapes shall be installed on exterior windows without the written
permission of the Owner or Agent.
56. Lessees are not permitted access to the roof except in case of emergency.
57. No signs or placards shall be posed in or about the apartment building without written permission of the Owner or Agent.
58. Manager has the right to exercise a "lock-out" fee, payable upon entry, for anyone who loses their keys or locks themselves out of their
apartment. Charges will be $___________________ from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and all other hours will be $___________________.
Additional Agreements: ___________________________________________________________________________________________________
APARTMENT CONDITION. Resident acknowledges he (she) has inspected the apartment and that said apartment is in good condition with the exceptions as noted
hereunder. If Resident fails to notify Owner by a written statement within three (3) days after occupancy of any deficiencies not previously noted, then the condition noted
hereunder shall be the conclusive determination of the apartment condition at time of occupancy. THIS REPORT WILL BE USED TO DETERMINE THE REFUND OF
SECURITY DEPOSIT (IF ANY) AT THE END OF YOUR LEASE/OCCUPANCY.
Apartment Name___________________________________ Lessee's Name_________________________________________
Apartment Address _________________________________ Apartment Number______________________________________
Move In Date_______________________________________ Move Out Date_________________________________________
Inspection Performed by:_____________________________ Total____________
CONDITION CONDITION COST TO
ITEMS MOVE-IN MOVE -OUT CORRECT
Living Rm & Dining Room
Doors and Locks
Floors and Baseboards
Walls and Ceilings
Windows and Blinds
Doors and Locks
Floors and Baseboards
Walls and Ceilings
Range and Refrigerator
Bedroom(s) (1) (2) (1) (2)
Floors and Baseboards
Walls and Ceilings
Windows and Blinds
Floors and Ceilings
Walls and Ceilings
Windows and Blinds
Mgr. Int. Ten. Mgr. Int. Ten. Int. TOTAL
This lease contract contains the terms of this tenancy and shall not be modified except by a subsequently executed writing. This Agreement shall not be modified by any oral
agreements or affirmations.
THE PURPOSE HEREIN IS TO HELP INSURE A PLEASANT AND ENJOYABLE APARTMENT COMMUNITY WITH GOOD RELATIONS BETWEEN THE RESIDENTS,
MANAGEMENT AND GUESTS. IF YOU HAVE ANY REQUESTS OR A SITUATION ARISES WHERE YOU ARE UNCOMFORTABLE, TALK US ABOUT IT. THANK YOU!!
Lessee hereby agrees to be bound by all of the foregoing terms and conditions of this Lease Agreement.
ACKNOWLEDGED AND AGREED:
Forwarding Address upon Vacating:
City_________________________________ State______________________________ Zip____________________
This security deposit settlement upon vacating performed by _________________________________________________(Manager)