REVIEW WORKSHEET, PERIODIC TABLE Name: _________________________ p. ____
1. How did Mendeleev arrange the elements in his periodic table?
2. Why were none of the Noble gases included in Mendeleev's periodic table?
3. In general, the atomic mass of elements increases as the atomic number increases. Find the pairs of
elements in the periodic table that are exceptions to this generalization.
4. Write the symbol for the elements in the following locations.
a. period 3, Group IIIA
b. period 1, Group VIIIA
c. period 4, Group IIB
d. period 6, Group VA
5. Name the third period element that has a half-filled p orbital.
6. Name the Group of elements in the periodic table that has the following outer electron configurations.
c. electrons filling the d orbitals
7. How many Valence electrons are in the following?
a. elements of the oxygen family
b. Na atom
c. The element in Group IIIA, period 5
d. The element with the electron configuration 1s22s22p5
8. Predict the number of protons and electrons in stable IONS of radium and iodine.
9. Predict the common ions formed when atoms of the elements listed gain or lose electrons. Then name
the noble gas with which the ion is isoelectronic.
10. The first three ionization energies of an element, in kJ / mole are these:
IE1 = 403, IE2 = 2632, IE3 = 3859
What is the charge on the most common ion of this element? How many valence electrons does the
element have? Identify the element from the list: Ga, Rb, Ba
11. Use the position on the periodic table to determine the number of d orbital electrons in Fe, Zn, and Cr.
12. What element has the electron configuration
a. [Ar] 4s23d2?
b. [Ar] 4s13d5?
13. Which transition metal ion, Sc+3 or Zn+2, is isoelectronic with Argon?
14. For which of the following elements do you expect there to be a very large increase, going from 2nd to the
3rd ionization energy (IE): Na, Mg, Al?
15. What trend is observed for the atomic radius of atoms
a. going down a Group?
b. going left to right across a period?
16. How does Core electron shielding affect the attraction of the nucleus for the valance electrons?
17. What is Ionization Energy (IE), and how is it determined?
18. Why does Na have a higher 2nd IE than a 1st IE?
19. Which has a larger radius, Na+1 or Ne? Explain your answer.
20. What trend in the ionic radius of an element would you predict
a. as you move from left to right across a period?
b. as you move down a family?
21. Which of the following would you predict to be larger?
a. Na or Na+1
b. F or F-1
c. Fe, Fe+2, or Fe+3
d. H, H , or H