VIEWS: 29 PAGES: 1 POSTED ON: 7/10/2009
MEMORIAL PARK PARK HISTORY Memorial Park is part of the tract of 102 acres deeded to St. Louis County on October 20, 1877, by Ralph Clayton. The city plan of Clayton, recorded on June 3, 1878, set aside this 2.68-acre block as the court house square. The original St. Louis County Court House opened in December 1878. It was situated near the middle of this block, facing north to Forsyth. The present Annex Building, 7900 Forsyth, was erected in 1949, designed by architect Preston Bradshaw to expand the old building. In 1967, county voters authorized construction of a new government center, designed by Murphy, Downey, Wofford and Richman. The Administration Building at 41 South Central Avenue was built between 1968 and 1970. The Courts Building at 7900 Carondelet Avenue (in Block 6 of Clayton) was completed in 1972. That same year, the original County Court House was replaced by a plaza, a landscaped open space on a second-story concrete platform. The Administration Building was named for former County Supervisor Lawrence K. Roos in 2003. After several years of planning, construction began on January 14, 2000 for a new park to replace the raised plaza and to incorporate a new Police and Firefighter Memorial. The Public Works Department commissioned the park design from the HOK Planning Group, a division of the architectural firm of Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum. HOK’s design team included Chip Crawford, Sue Wiest, and David Carrico. The memorial was commissioned by St. Louis County Chief of Police, Ronald Battelle, and designed by Wischmeyer Architects, with fountain engineering by Avanti Technologies. Sculptures of a policeman and a fireman are by Neil Brodin of Brodin Studios, Litchfield, Minnesota. The park’s formal dedication and memorial service were held on November 8, 2000, but construction continued until the Department of Parks and Recreation took responsibility for the park in July 2001.
Pages to are hidden for
"Memorial"Please download to view full document