“ALL POLITICS IS LOCAL”
What does this quote suggest about
the importance of the local
• How many governments do
we have in America?
POWER SHARED BY:
NATIONAL STATE GOV'T
What types of Local Governments are
• County New Hanover County
• City Municipalities Wilmington, NC
• Towns Wrightsville Beach
• Villages Landfall, Mayfaire, etc ?
• Special Districts New Hanover Co. Schools
How do local governments get created?
• Through the STATE
• Must get a CHARTER
– Document that grants
power to a local
government: said to be
– Many getting HOME Rule
• Right of local
government to create
own charters, still
must be allowed by
Wilmington Keeps Growing!
– Bringing unincorporated land and its residents
into an existing municipality(city, town, etc.)
– Why would the City want to add lands to its
– What would be the PROS and CONS of being
annexed into a city?
• SECTIONING A CITY FOR SPECIFIC PURPOSES
• Why would we do this?
Structure of Local Governments
• Which of the three branches do they have?
– Legislative-makes laws-called ordinances at local
– Executive-enforces laws-mayor for city, police, etc.
• Structure of the governments depends on the
Structures of Local Government
• 3 Major Players
1. Governing Board (aka City Council) - elected
2. Mayor – elected
3. Manager – Hired by City Council
Strong Mayor form of Mayor-Council Form of Government
Proposes Legislation City Council
Heads of City
Weak Mayor form of Mayor-Council Form of Government
Mayor City Council
Leads City Council Makes policy decisions
Meetings Appoints city officials
Votes to break tie
Heads of City
Council-Manager Form of Government
VOTERS CITY MANAGER
CITY COUNCIL Hires
HEADS OF CITY
Commission Form of Government
VOTERS ELECT Police Commissioner
COMMISSIONERS Finance Commissioner
Controls Funds Carry Out Policy
COUNTIES: 100 TOTAL, each county’s Headquarters is
the “county seat”, ex: New Hanover,
•School Board (elected)
General Assembly Appoints Depart. Heads
Local Boards Public Policy/laws
and has “hire-fire” power
•State/local policy over all employees
•Educ. Boards Exceptions: Sheriff Dept.,
(University) Health Dept., etc.