Health Science Technology
Mrs. J. Hodge, RN
Baby Boomers Facts
• In 1900s, most people died age 60.
• Today, can expect them to live into
their 70s with some living to 80-90
• Use healthcare services frequently.
• Aging begins @ birth and ends
• Normal process with normal
changes in body structure and
Terms R/T Aging
• Gerontology-study of aging and
the problems of the old.
• Geriatric care-provided to elderly
Myths on Aging
• What is a Myth?
• Myths are false beliefs
• Healthcare providers MUST be
able to distinguish myths vs. facts.
• Most elderly individuals are cared
for in institutions or long term care
• FACT: only approx. 5% of elderly
live in LTC facilities.
• Live in their own homes or apt.
• Live in retirement homes-assisted
• Anyone over 65 yrs is old.
• Senior Citizen
• FACT: OLD determined more by
how a person thinks, feels,
• Consider how productive and
active a person is.
• Elderly are incompetent of making
decisions or handling their own
• FACT: Majority of elderly are
mentally competent until they die.
• Older adults can still learn new
skills, are able to concentrate, and
evaluate new information.
• Go back to college
• All elderly live in poverty.
• FACT: May have limited incomes.
• Most have low expenses.
• Most own their homes.
• Other financial means: SS, savings,
retirement pensions, and other
sources of income.
• Many are financially secure and
enjoy comfortable lifestyles.
• Older people are unhappy and
• FACT: Most live with someone
and/or associate frequently with
• Many are active in civic groups,
charities, social activities, church,
and volunteer programs.
• Others care for grandchildren.
• Remain active as heads of
• Older adults do not want to work
and lose interest in work.
• FACT: Many remain employed
• Older adults have good attendance,
performs efficiently, learns new
skills, shows job satisfaction.
• Many do part time jobs, serve as
consultants, or volunteer.
• Retired people are bored and have
nothing to do with their lives.
• FACT: Many enjoy full and active
• Many older adults travel, engage in
hobbies, sports, social activities,
family events, and church or
• Many others exist.
• FACT: Over 2 million people will
be in these facilities by 2008! That
• Need: healthcare providers to
provide needed services.